View Poll Results: Do you sun your hair to lighten it on purpose?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • I sun as often as possible and use lemon juice frequently!

3 2.91%
  • I sun as often as possible, but don't use lemon juice, thats "cheating"!

2 1.94%
  • I might sun occassionally, but I don't go out of my way to do it.

40 38.83%
  • Cheese

12 11.65%
  • Come to the dark side, we have cookies!

46 44.66%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How many people "sun" their hair in the summer, with or without lemon juice?

Length
    0.5"/27"/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Default Re: How many people "sun" their hair in the summer, with or without lemon juice?

I don't seek the sun because I'm so pale I'd fry, but definitely enjoy the way it lightens my hair somewhat. I like a nice beachy look in the warmer months.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: How many people "sun" their hair in the summer, with or without lemon juice?

I chose the 'occasionally' option. I don't spend much time in the sun anyway, so I don't mind a bit of incidental exposure on my hair.

I used to be outdoors a lot more, and would always protect my skin but never thought to protect my hair - I loved the white blonde highlights the sun gave me. However, now I'm much more aware of hair care and realise how damaging that sun bleaching is - the ends of the previously sun bleached parts do still just break off! If I spent more time in the sun I would definitely protect my hair now.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    28/39/44
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

Years ago, back before I ever hennaed my hair or started a "long hair journey," I'd occasionally sit outside with lemon juice in my hair. My hair is light brown and I always wanted to push it more toward blonde, but I'm not sure it every worked.

I spend a lot of time outdoors now, but I don't use lemon (as I'm pretty sure lemon creates a mild bleach? and bleach = damage). I'd love some natural sun highlights, but I don't actively seek them; I just love being outdoors and in the sun. I don't burn unless I'm out for extended periods of time.
    MBL | WL | HL | TBL | HL | TBL | CLSSC(?)

Length
    CL/WL/TB

I avoid the sun for many reasons, the unwanted lightening of my hair if one of them.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by nycelle View Post
    I love the sun and try to spend as much times outdoors as I can in the summer. My hair though has become much lighter because of sun exposure, and it has caused some damage. Not as much as coloring, but still..
    This year I'm using a leave-in serum that's supposed to help prevent sun damage.. we shall see.

You can see the difference in color here - my roots are a much ashier brown, and some of my tips are blonde (all sun, no coloring.)

I love the ashy roots!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    1b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    I chose the 'occasionally' option. I don't spend much time in the sun anyway, so I don't mind a bit of incidental exposure on my hair.

I used to be outdoors a lot more, and would always protect my skin but never thought to protect my hair - I loved the white blonde highlights the sun gave me. However, now I'm much more aware of hair care and realise how damaging that sun bleaching is - the ends of the previously sun bleached parts do still just break off! If I spent more time in the sun I would definitely protect my hair now.
    Odd, I've never had any breakage, although my hair does get a bit dried out from the lemon juice, and good deep condition treatment seems to help the moisture back in afterwards! I didn't realize the sun does so much damage to some people's hair!
    EL - CL - NL ​- SL - CBL - APL - BSL - MBL - WL ​- ???

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    SL/APL/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

I tried that multiple times when I was young but reality is my hair tend to lighten naturally in the sun (which is probably not a good thing but it looks quite nice) so during the summer they always look more red

Type
    1b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by hellomimi View Post
    I tried that multiple times when I was young but reality is my hair tend to lighten naturally in the sun (which is probably not a good thing but it looks quite nice) so during the summer they always look more red
    Oh, thats cool! I wish I had some red tones in my hair, if anything my hair has a greenish undertone and its not flattering. Somtimes I do treatments with ketchup to add some red tones, it doesn't last though.
    EL - CL - NL ​- SL - CBL - APL - BSL - MBL - WL ​- ???

Length
    APL/WL/TBD
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I use the sun to my advantage to keep my hair from getting too dark. I usually find a place that's on the edge of the shade, sit in the shade, and make sure my hair is in the sun. I only recently started using a bit of sun-in to keep my crown nice and even with the rest of my hair

Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers, or you can grow weeds.
    Lady Scarlette, Traveler of the Road to Dawn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Crotchety Pastry GrowlingCupcake's Avatar
    Length
    15/21.5/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

My hair has never lightened in the sun so it's of no use to me xD But I avoid the sun, anyway, because I hate it. My skin burns easily, and I get heat exhaustion easily so I stay out of the sun as much as possible. I'm just counting the days till winter.
    Big chop - 18th August 2021
    SL/15 - CLB/17 - APL/21 - MBL/26 - WL/30 - HL/32 - BCL/36 - TBL/40 - CL/45
    Measuring unstretched because flexibility is dumb.