Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I brush out my thick, coarse, snarly hair in the middle in the back?

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: How do I brush out my thick, coarse, snarly hair in the middle in the back?

Maybe use your shower comb on that spot for a few passes and then switch to the brush?

A sleep cap is another option to reduce the appearance of that slept on spot.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Default Re: How do I brush out my thick, coarse, snarly hair in the middle in the back?

Have you tried finger brushing? At least you'd get through your hair that way.

Onward and Upward GoddesJourney's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL!/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

There is a possibility that that section of your hair is simply more curly than the rest. My husband's hair is a combination of wavy and straight. The wavy sections and straight sections behave differently to where he decided he wasn't willing to deal with it at the short but long enough to be a pain length that he wanted to try. Maybe that section of your hair will even out a bit as it grows. Mine looks straighter and straighter from the weight pulling it down as I let it grow. I'm not sure if this is your issue though.

For cool tips on life, check out my blog, How to Be Awesome, For Free, a survival guide for surviving in style.

Quote Originally Posted by enting View Post
    If I'm understanding correctly, you're looking to have your brushed out texture everywhere and there's one spot that stays in its natural texture because you can't brush it straight down?

Would an extra long handled brush help?
    Would brushing upside down help get to that area or would that just make everything more unruly?

Alternately, would you want to lean into the natural texture of your hair everywhere so that one chunk doesn't stand out?

I think you mostly have it, but it's not just that that one patch has my natural texture, is that that patch is wildly disheveled when I get out of bed, which makes it not only stand out, but it makes that section of hair a good 6 inches shorter than the hair around it that has been brushed out.

A brush with a longer handle would be very helpful, is there a good one that you can recommend?

I do back brush my hair all around, but unfortunately it's far too thick for the brush to go all the way through, or even close.

I don't have a problem with my natural texture per se, but what I can't stand is to have my hair in pieces and strings, rather then being a homogenous unit, if you see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Um yeah but snarly means tangled, right? Now I'm confused.
    No, snarly means that it just sticks together, because it's so coarse, and wavy. Until it got to be longer than about a foot, I could brush it straight up in the air, and it would stay that way, with no styling products or pins or anything, pretty much indefinitely. Counterintuitively, because of the way it all sticks together, it never moves around enough to form tangles!

Onward and Upward GoddesJourney's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL!/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

I would recommend then sleeping with your hair all pulled up above your pillow. It sounds like you pretty well stay on your back. I don't have a long handled brush recommendation but this may help you avoid the problem to begin with. I used to sleep with mine straight up like a troll doll before I started sleep braiding. Even my braid gets thrown over the top of my pillow to avoid lying on it. The trade off is it wears down the nape hair a bit more.

For cool tips on life, check out my blog, How to Be Awesome, For Free, a survival guide for surviving in style.

Quote Originally Posted by bokeh View Post
    Your problem must be frustrating because you know that you like how your hair styles with a brush but just that one spot won't smooth out! I have no doubt that you will get it figured out. Just don't give up and try everything! Do you have someone who could work on that spot for you?

That photo is me and I do sleep with my hair braided but I also wear a sleep cap over it. I sit on the edge of the bed and quickly and carelessly braid all the way to the end. I don't tie it off at all but just stuff it into a satin lined scrub cap. I'm also a very restless sleeper and this works for me. Before the sleep cap I also woke up with WILD hair and I'm sure it was getting damaged during the night from my tossing and turning.
    Frustrating doesn't begin to describe it! I'm going to keep after it, because my only other alternative is to cut enough of the hair off that I CAN brush it through, and I'd rather not have to do that!

Can you give me a website or a brand name or anything for the sleep cap that you have been using? Because you have similar hair, something that works well for you might work well for me, and at least partially solve my problem!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Would there be *any* chance to not brush dry, and try and deal with your natural texture? Have you ever tried that? I'm not sure that that is what you want, but I'm just saying it might be a way out of this, the patch might magically work with you rather than against you. Sometimes it takes something like this to wake us up, and to realize we have been dealing with our hair all wrong. Not saying you are, because you do you, but I know that working against the texture can most times bring on plenty of challenges.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Quote Originally Posted by Belle03 View Post
    Hello, I would first use a wooden comb on the hair. Get a product specifically for detangling to help soften the section and loosen the hair. You could also get a metal handle "rat tail comb" and use the handle to break through the hair. My hair is 4b kinky, and using the wooden comb to detangle works wonders.
    I don't have any tangles, and unfortunately I can't get any kind of comb even an inch through my hair unless it's wet. My problem is that the whole rest of my hair is brushed down firmly, but I can't reach this one spot to do it there, so it stays wild and disheveled the way it is when I wake up every day... Which means that the middle of the back of my hair is about 6 inches shorter than the rest of my hair!

Quote Originally Posted by neko_kawaii View Post
    Maybe use your shower comb on that spot for a few passes and then switch to the brush?

A sleep cap is another option to reduce the appearance of that slept on spot.
    Unfortunately, I can't get any comb through my hair unless it's fully wet. Someone else mentioned a sleep cap also, so I want to look into that as an option to keep my hair from being so wild every day when I get up, and hopefully save it some damage as well. Do you know when a good brands?