Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is some breaking inevitable when detangling?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Is some breaking inevitable when detangling?

I noticed in my own detangling, that it grossly depends on how and with what, so the tool that you use. For instance, I did have shorter hairs come out when I still used a wide tooth comb. I no longer have any breakage using a Wet brush (I use a dupe because hey: expensive). But you can find these about *anywhere* and they don't have to cost and arm and a leg, for a darn brush! I used to think I did everything the right way, because for ages a wide tooth comb (WTC) was what everyone and their mama recommended. But that was before these brushes came on the market, honestly. I no longer use any comb, except for a rattail to draw my part, and even that I no longer do these days.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    BCL/BCL+/term
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I second finger detangling. I do it occassionally, and it helps with lessening breakage when detangling for me, but I have fragile, damaged ends, so I am assuming my virgin hair would be different, healthier and not as prone to breaking to begin with.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

IMO, it also depends on exactly how you finger detangle. It's not supposed to be this: holding your fingers like a comb and raking through. You will pull hair out! Trust me. Finger detangling is just that, spreading the hair apart and going through gently with one to two fingers, just to get sheds out.

Detangling and breakage, it all depends and is seriously user error.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    1-2"/34"/44"
    Type
    1b/F/iii

Yes, there will be breakage to some extent. I've also learned that the longer your hair is, the more it looks like you're losing a lot (which isn't true). Unless your pulling out large clumps, you needn't worry.

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I think occasional breakage when detangling is inevitable, at least for most people. It doesn't happen to me every time, but it's not exactly rare. Best you can do is use a good technique, take your time and be gentle, especially with F strands.

Length
    14/31.8/40
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Breakage is really normal. To be honest though; I notice less breakage when using silicone products. After my shower I use a leave in conditioner cream with silicone, then afterwards I keep my hair in a braid. I take my braid down twice a day and then gently brush it with a tangle teezer. If there’s a big knot, I use a leave in conditioner detangling spray with silicones. After that’s done, I use a hair oil (with again, silicones) I have minimal knots when I do this routine.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

We also shed out short hairs, so what you're seeing in the sink may not always be breakage, especially when you didn't hear or feel anything. I know I've shed out hairs as short as 2 inches, which I verified by seeing the little root bulb at one end.

All we can do is the best we can. It sounds like you are. Happy hair growing!