Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Different Types of Hair Toys

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Different Types of Hair Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckinbelle View Post
    So, I've been searching here and on Google (if you type "Hair toys" in Google you get a bunch of troll dolls! hahaha) and I can't seem to find a list of different types of hair toys.
    I'm not a long hair newbie but I'm super new to anything other than an elastic in my hair so I'm hoping to find a list of a variety of toys that I can try.
    Try searching Etsy for "hair forks" or "hair sticks", and you'll find tons of possible nice accessories.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by pastina View Post
    Right off the bat, Etsy is your friend. That's where most of these are found, notable exceptions being flexi-8s (lillarose) and ficcare (the fancy metal clips). There's also the swap board, where members here destash things they can't (or don't) use. You can get really good deals there if you keep a watchful eye!

So. Where do you start. ....Ok, prepare for a crash course!

There are toys in wood, toys in metal, toys in antler and horn, and toys in acrylic... You can find sticks, forks, and barrette type things in any of these materials. What material you want will depend on your hair, your aesthetic, and how important the toy being waterproof is to you. Personally, I'm an acrylic kind of girl because it comes in a million colors, it's sturdy, and it's waterproof (it rains constantly where I live!). Antler and horn also are waterproof (correct me if I'm wrong) and they also seem to be very sturdy, but they have a rather rustic look (IMO). There are some spectacular carved antler pieces available on Etsy! There are also a ton of amazingly carved wooden toys, and to be completely honest, I was shocked at the variety of timbers available across all the different makers out there. ...Then there's dymondwood (and webb wood), which is waterproof, extra-strong wood which comes in a variety of colors, since it's dyed and impregnated with resin. And then metal. Oh my.

What TYPE of toy (stick/pair of sticks/fork/clip/slide) depends on a) what you like and b) how long and thick your hair is. If it's on the shorter side, you'll probably do better with forks, the more prongs the better. If it's longer, you can probably manage a single stick. A good test is to put a bun up with a pencil... if it holds, you know you can manage a single stick! If you've got a ton of hair, you might want to look for something sturdy enough to hold it all without bending or snapping. If your hair is on the thinner side, you might want to keep the toy's weight in mind-- if it's too heavy, it might end up hurting your scalp. Also, if you have houdini hair like I do, a slide will just fall out of your hair immediately, lol.

Sizing is important! The pencil trick is also a good way to see how LONG you need your fork or stick to be. If you can get a pencil to hold your bun, check it out in a mirror! Measure how much of the pencil is actually needed to hold up your bun, and that's a good estimation of your needs in terms of functional length. If you feel like you have "propellor head", you'll want a toy that's shorter than your pencil in total length. For example, you find a topped stick you like... you'd need the functional length to be at least what you measured, but you'd want the total length to be less than what gives you propellor head. Make sense?

I've personally noticed that I need less functional length for metal toys (because I like less to show) and I also require less functional length for forks than for sticks. That might just be me, though, I hope some others will chime in on that. Hair thickness comes into play with slides and barrettes as well, so that's another good measurement to keep in mind.

Then, there's a consideration for how fancy you want these toys to be! There are shops that sell things that are more focused on being functional and some shops that are more focused on being decorative. Which shop you search for will depend on allll of the above criteria.

Instead of attempting to make a giant flow chart of doom, what kind of thing are you looking for? Can we steer you in a specific direction? (Can you tell I like this topic? lol!)
    You could make this an article at the articles section.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

Dr. Technicolor DreamBuns pastina's Avatar
    Length
    ?/BSL/dunno
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

I want to let you know that I didn't disappear. This is a big project apparently! That stickied list is suuuper out of date. I'm workin' on it.

Length
    BCL/CBL/hmm
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

I want to let you know that I didn't disappear. This is a big project apparently! That stickied list is suuuper out of date. I'm workin' on it.
    Oh dear, I hope its not too much work! I appreciate your effort

Type
    1b/F/i

OOooOOOOOOOoooo! Yay pastina!
    Time is the fire in which we burn...Delmore Schwartz
    Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light...Dylan Thomas

Length
    15/47/48
    Type
    2c/M/C/iii

As stated, the general categories are sticks, forks, ficcares/fakkares, and flexi-8's. There are also more conventional things that technically fall under toys like clips, pins, barrettes, and slides.

I think it's also important to know that stuff will randomly start and stop working as you grow. Both buns and toys. I used to love pairs or sticks, but now almost never wear two sticks in my hair now and I've become a single stick girl that I'm at classic. Certain toys don't work for certain buns anymore, now that my length is different, and I noticed that as I grew, I went from a diagonal angle to my sticks/forks working best to horizontal. Larger flexis don't work for me anymore, but I loved them between hip and TBL.
    The swap board is a wonderful resource. I've done many trades which are a great way to get new toys when you outgrow or don't use some of your pieces.
    There is also the RAOK thread for members with few or no toys. It's were I got one of my first toys (the other being a gift in a LHC winter swap).
    APL~BSL~WL~HL~BCL~TBL~CL!!!
    Lady Arete of The Waltzing Blades in The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Dr. Technicolor DreamBuns pastina's Avatar
    Length
    ?/BSL/dunno
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

Ok guys. I made it into a blog post. Well... three blog posts, lol. Here's a link to the first part!

Length
    BCL/CBL/hmm
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

I'm adding a list to my original post so that it's can be seen easily. I know there is other stuff out there But Ill just keep adding to it as I discover other hair things! I've seen these "cage" like pieces, made from wire or stretchy string with beads, that cover a bun but I'm not sure what they're called. I'm sure that there's also a multitude of different kinds of pins I'd like to add to the list. Thanks for everyone's help!

Length
    Chin/Waist/Class
    Type
    3c/4a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckinbelle View Post
    I'm adding a list to my original post so that it's can be seen easily. I know there is other stuff out there But Ill just keep adding to it as I discover other hair things! I've seen these "cage" like pieces, made from wire or stretchy string with beads, that cover a bun but I'm not sure what they're called. I'm sure that there's also a multitude of different kinds of pins I'd like to add to the list. Thanks for everyone's help!
    I believe they're called "bun cages".
    On my way to BSL...

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

The list is currently missing barrettes, slides, combs, claws, bows (and other things on small clips), and scrunchies. Under pins, add finishing pins. Do hair donuts and other rats count?

And headbands - hard and elastic
    Last edited by neko_kawaii; June 3rd, 2017 at 07:56 PM.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*