Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Curly Girl Method (CGM) Thread

Length
    Chin/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Curly Girl Method (CGM) Thread

Quote Originally Posted by desisparkles View Post
    i love flax seed gel as a curl enhancer and will be making some this week. I will use it before I smooth on my gel.
    desisparklesI'm really curious to know how you make your gel! I've been interested in making a flaxseed gel but haven't found a recipe to follow.

Length
    Chin/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Simpscone View Post
    I do a deep conditioning treatment whenever I fancy, normally once a week or fortnight!
    Simpscone What deep treatments do you use?? I'm in desperate need of good moisturization because my hair is currently stuck in protein overload from my conditioners and I'm tired of having straw ends

Length
    Chin/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by SallySue View Post
    My hair is fine/thin 2b/c-3a. I have done mostly CG for a year. Over time my hair has become much healthier, with more curl and shine. The worst things ever for my fine curly hair are direct heat and sulfate shampoos.

Practicing CG showed me what sulfates and silicones do to my hair. Since mine is prone to dryness I cannot use them on a regular basis. Instead, I use Shea Moisture shampoo and conditioner once or twice per week. Skipping shampoo to cowash can result in no volume, which is bad since my hair is thin. Shampoo is ok for me as long as it's sulfate free. Every other wash I do a deep conditioning treatment from the ears down. (If I put DC on my scalp I'll never have root volume!)

For styling, I start with wet hair and put leave-in conditioner and/or curl cream well distributed through the bottom half. I do scrunch+pump with plenty of gel all the way up to the root. Ecostyler is the best gel for me as it has lots of hold without drying hard.

For root volume, pay extra attention to the shape your hair is in when it dries. Clipping works wonders. So does sleeping in a pineapple in the days after a wash. When your roots get stretched out from tying hair up, mist with a spray bottle and the texture will come back.

Also, play attention to the weather when selecting products. Know what ingredients do what for you. Monitor the humidity. Selecting products is a delicate science and it takes time to get it right.
    SallySue Thank you for the loads of advice! I'll be sure to take your words to heart and start monitoring my hair's needs along with the weather. I hadn't even thought of that

Length
    Chin/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Lapushka I see the Herbal Essences Hello Hydration is a very popular conditioner in this method. Do you find that it moisturizes your hair well? I used that conditioner years ago and can't remember if I liked it or not

...My vanity’s a mess... desisparkles's Avatar
    Length
    20/45 CL/Thigh
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by zuzannaa.aaa View Post
    desisparklesI'm really curious to know how you make your gel! I've been interested in making a flaxseed gel but haven't found a recipe to follow.
    https://science-yhairblog.blogspot.c...-projects.html

I used #5 as the base. I usually switch up what I add to it each time.

This time I added a few drops lavender, a tiny squirt of leave in conditioner, a couple drops coconut oil and some store bought hair gel.
    That way it's my one and done bc it has everything in it
    I also freeze most of it in silicone baking cups so it won't spoil as I only wash every 4-6 days and the rest stays in the fridge.

It is also good to refresh waves with but I haven't been refreshing much these days - I just enjoy the waves at every stage, although by wash day I only have curls at my ends.
    Super fine and delicate
    Dye & heat free circa 2017
    Senna has turned my silvers to gold - give me all the metals

Quote Originally Posted by desisparkles View Post
    https://science-yhairblog.blogspot.c...-projects.html

I used #5 as the base. I usually switch up what I add to it each time.

This time I added a few drops lavender, a tiny squirt of leave in conditioner, a couple drops coconut oil and some store bought hair gel.
    That way it's my one and done bc it has everything in it
    I also freeze most of it in silicone baking cups so it won't spoil as I only wash every 4-6 days and the rest stays in the fridge.

It is also good to refresh waves with but I haven't been refreshing much these days - I just enjoy the waves at every stage, although by wash day I only have curls at my ends.
    I use that recipe too I went out on a very rainy day recently and had no frizz at all, and I swear it’s because of that gel! I added a few drops of avocado oil, a drop of lavender and a glob of aloe vera gel last time. I freeze mine in ice cube trays too.

I'm actually not certain whether this shampoo is actually curly girl compliant, but I noticed when I was in the shower this morning that it perfectly illustrates the curly girl approach to hair care.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Lapushka I see the Herbal Essences Hello Hydration is a very popular conditioner in this method. Do you find that it moisturizes your hair well? I used that conditioner years ago and can't remember if I liked it or not
    It does have silicones, so it is not CG friendly; I have to tell you that.

If you want a good silicone free conditioner/mask, try the Garnier Fructis "treats" aka "hairfood" masks. It depends on where you are located, US and EU respectively how it's named. But it's *great* - I especially love the banana and the papaya one! The scent is divine!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Chin/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    It does have silicones, so it is not CG friendly; I have to tell you that.

If you want a good silicone free conditioner/mask, try the Garnier Fructis "treats" aka "hairfood" masks. It depends on where you are located, US and EU respectively how it's named. But it's *great* - I especially love the banana and the papaya one! The scent is divine!
    I've been working with the 1 minute moisture with coconut extract treatment from Garnier Fructis and I really like it so far, but it gives me a little too much "softness" if you know what I mean. I haven't been able to find the hair food anywhere near me and I'm in the Chicago area

Length
    Chin/Waist/TBL
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Simpscone What deep treatments do you use?? I'm in desperate need of good moisturization because my hair is currently stuck in protein overload from my conditioners and I'm tired of having straw ends
    I use the Garnier Hair Food Masks! My favourites are the banana and papaya ones

Edit: Oops I just saw your message above! Have you tried online?
    Next goal: 34" - Hip