Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Growing out pixie with no trims? Scared of the "M"

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Growing out pixie with no trims? Scared of the "M"

I grew out from a pixie multiple times in the past. When it got to a mullety stage, I'd always tuck my hair behind my ears, or pin the sides back. It helps calm it a bit. I always chose to trim the back until the sides could catch up some, going to a sort of bob-stage.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Pixie/Pixie/?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

wow, i remember growing out from the start. ah memories of a new beginning! sometimes i wanna do the short hair all over again! because i love long hair and short hair, but then i remember the time and effort to grow it all out and go back to loving my longer hair. i'm sure there is a mullet-like stage but i never really paid attention enough to notice because i was focusing on how to keep it healthy. good luck though

玲弁花

Length
    15/19/32 in
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Thank you so much for all of your replies and pictures!!! I see that it's different for everyone. Calling it a "shag" makes me feel better too, lol.

You guys have made me feel really reassured. We'll just see what happens with mine, I guess. I need to get some pictures for my own sanity now - I feel like it's going to take forever. Hair accessories, here I come.

Length
    3"/3.5"/34"
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Well... I avoided the mullet because my hair has enough natural curl/wave (especially in the underlayers) to make it not look mulletty! But with 1a hair I don't know .

Sometimes it's just better to trim those ends off? Not necessarily get rid of all the layers, just the very bottom ones which is what makes the mulletty look. Then once you've got more of a bob with just a few layers, you can grow to your heart's content!
    Starting over short and working towards virgin hair!

Length
    15/19/32 in
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Mesmerise View Post
    Well... I avoided the mullet because my hair has enough natural curl/wave (especially in the underlayers) to make it not look mulletty! But with 1a hair I don't know .

Sometimes it's just better to trim those ends off? Not necessarily get rid of all the layers, just the very bottom ones which is what makes the mulletty look. Then once you've got more of a bob with just a few layers, you can grow to your heart's content!
    My hair doesn't have much body, so yeah. That's a good idea. The lady who cut it last didn't do much of a taper to my neck, and it's fairly straight across the back. I might just have to suck it up and trim...I just wonder what that would look like from the back! Mine might honestly just grow into a nice, straight shag. I'll just have to wait and see. Thanks!

warm weather enthusiast mrs_coffee's Avatar
    Length
    PIXIE/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii

I tried to wait it out but I ended up hacking off the mullet looking length in the back. It's been about a year and a half since I started growing it and even with trimming I've made good progress.

Length
    15/19/32 in
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by mrs_coffee View Post
    I tried to wait it out but I ended up hacking off the mullet looking length in the back. It's been about a year and a half since I started growing it and even with trimming I've made good progress.
    Your hair in your avatar looks gorgeous - you give me hope! Thanks for sharing your experience!

Type
    2a/F/M/i

I've grown out 4 pixies in 8 years. Currently growing one out now! With the first 4, I just kept the mullet the entire time, and never thought about it. Within a year each time I cut it into a bob, and then, well, after that kept cutting back into a pixie.

Anyway! I had decided to take a different approach and keep cutting the mullet. What's happened is that it's made me frustrated because without the mullet, it's even harder to pull it back into a little mini ponytail. Which means if you keep trimming, you're stuck with the awkward ear length and below stage for a very long time. And there's nothing you can do about it except let it hang there.

So...this time I'm letting my mullet grow. I cut into a pixie in August of 2011 and was down to ear length. But there were so many layers that I cut the top pieces all one length am keeping the mullet. Needless to say, it looks awful, but the sooner I get into a ponytail, the sooner I won't even look at this mess.

It seems like if you cut the mullet, growing out takes longer. If you don't cut, it might look funny sometimes, but for me, ponytails are worth it.

Once the mullet and the rest grow out, it just looks like long choppy layers. Some people like to not cut and keep growing from there, but I plan on evening everything out once my top layers hit chin. To each their own!
    Chin length bob for now. At least it's all pretty much healthy!

Length
    pixie/BSL/???
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

To each their own, I guess! I'm growing out a pixie and have cut the mullet every 2 months or so for a year! Now it's finally at a decent length that I can just let the back grow out like the rest. But for me, there was no other option! I hated the mullet so much, I knew I was sure I'd cut it all off because I'd get so frustrated with the mullet.

So yeah, I guess it takes a bit longer that way, but to me it is very much worth it. Plus, when you have a pixie you'll most likely have tons of layers anyway that will need to be cut one day!

But again, it's different for everyone (there are some pictures in my album by the way! Or here: http://myboringhair.tumblr.com/tagged/monthly-picture )

pixie. bob. chin length. shoulder. collarbone. APL. BSL. Waist?
    My hair journal! & My portfolio

Once and Future Long-Hair XcaliburGirl's Avatar
    Length
    23/27.5/CL 44
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by icallitbliss View Post
    I've grown out 4 pixies in 8 years. Currently growing one out now! With the first 4, I just kept the mullet the entire time, and never thought about it. Within a year each time I cut it into a bob, and then, well, after that kept cutting back into a pixie.

Anyway! I had decided to take a different approach and keep cutting the mullet. What's happened is that it's made me frustrated because without the mullet, it's even harder to pull it back into a little mini ponytail. Which means if you keep trimming, you're stuck with the awkward ear length and below stage for a very long time. And there's nothing you can do about it except let it hang there.

So...this time I'm letting my mullet grow. I cut into a pixie in August of 2011 and was down to ear length. But there were so many layers that I cut the top pieces all one length am keeping the mullet. Needless to say, it looks awful, but the sooner I get into a ponytail, the sooner I won't even look at this mess.

It seems like if you cut the mullet, growing out takes longer. If you don't cut, it might look funny sometimes, but for me, ponytails are worth it.

Once the mullet and the rest grow out, it just looks like long choppy layers. Some people like to not cut and keep growing from there, but I plan on evening everything out once my top layers hit chin. To each their own!
    I completely agree. After my one trim, I went through about 3 months of bad hair, but now that I can put it in a ponytail, it is such a relief. Totally worth it.
    I want to finally get back to Classic. Growing again starting March 2018.