Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Little help to figure out what caused this and if its right to keep it.

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Re: Little help to figure out what caused this and if its right to keep it.

I can't see the pic with the clips but if they are the kind I'm thinking, I wouldn't wear them to bed. I've actually have hair get cut on them so I'm pretty careful now.
    I'd suggest a silk sleep cap. Not satin or satin like but good silk. It keeps your hair contained and keeps it from getting frizzed out.
    If you do loose some curl at night, mist your hair the next morning and scrunch them back.

Length
    10"/18"/34"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Little help to figure out what caused this and if its right to keep it.

leayellena Oh, i was wondering if my hair is fine or medium. It happens sometimes for my hair to be thick, and the other thin. It confuses me, truly.
    So, i dont have to worry much about the thin sides since its natural pattern.

nycelle Thankfully no, there is not any shedding from that side. Only if i start to brush them, then i'll notice shedding but it will be under the act of brushing so, that will cause that. I can see i have less hair at the sides, i noticed actually it curls harder than the back of my hair. I have cotton pillowcases.

Obsidian I removed the picture with the clips. I put one clip at the left side and right side of my hair, so i can keep the front/side hair at the back of my ears and hold them overnight so they will not frizz and loose. Im trying to find silk sleep cap but i cant find any here in Greece :/
    within my own wisdom

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Why do you wear the clips? A clip that tight, if you move around it could cause breakage. I would sleep without the clips, there is no "need" to protect the sides, and I doubt that clip is protective. But that's me.

And if you are sleeping on cotton, I would seriously consider a microfiber pillowcase or a silk one. Or spread out a silk scarf over your pillowcase. It will help *hugely*!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    17"/28/68"

Have you tried bobby pins? I heard they can help. The most I use is hair sticks and forks and a satin sleep cap that I got at Wal-Mart for 3 dollars. Begore blow dryers women often used bobby pins criss crossed to twist and secure they're hair to get curls. They would then put a stocking on to keep them in place and sleep in it.

Length
    10"/18"/34"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Why do you wear the clips? A clip that tight, if you move around it could cause breakage. I would sleep without the clips, there is no "need" to protect the sides, and I doubt that clip is protective. But that's me.

And if you are sleeping on cotton, I would seriously consider a microfiber pillowcase or a silk one. Or spread out a silk scarf over your pillowcase. It will help *hugely*!
    As i explained above, i wear the clips to protect the sides of my hair, especially the curls. I've noticed time ago when i didnt wear anything to bed, my front and side hair would be frizzy and loose curly. Good thing the clips dont slide off of my hair so it doesnt pull out any hair. The person Julescarm said about bobbypins. Im sure its safer and im gonna try it tonight. I guess bobbypins are kind of safer than clips right?
    Im not that interest to buy any silk or microfiber pillowcases, and i dont want to spend money on that
    within my own wisdom

Length
    Pixie/APL/TBL
    Type
    3b/C/iii

Just sleep on it, and use some water and maybe a little conditioner to pick your curls back up in the morning. Curls go flat when they're slept on. That's why curlies need to refresh. It gets easier when it's longer and you can get it into a band on top of your head, but if you don't want to wear a sleep cap, there aren't really any other options at that length.

Length
    10"/18"/34"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Alibran View Post
    Just sleep on it, and use some water and maybe a little conditioner to pick your curls back up in the morning. Curls go flat when they're slept on. That's why curlies need to refresh. It gets easier when it's longer and you can get it into a band on top of your head, but if you don't want to wear a sleep cap, there aren't really any other options at that length.
    Refresh the curls with water and a bit conditioner? Sounds like a good idea. Should the tiny amount of conditioner stay at the hair, or wet my palms again and scrunch? I guess that method you're talking about isnt damaging, right?
    within my own wisdom

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Get a spray bottle, fill with water and add a tiny amount of conditioner. Shake well and lightly spray hair, scrunch.

You don't have to use conditioner, water will work, some people add aloe or herbal teas. There is a thread around here someplace about what people use, its its something like "what is in your spray bottle".

Length
    10"/18"/34"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    Get a spray bottle, fill with water and add a tiny amount of conditioner. Shake well and lightly spray hair, scrunch.

You don't have to use conditioner, water will work, some people add aloe or herbal teas. There is a thread around here someplace about what people use, its its something like "what is in your spray bottle".
    Ohhh, thats what you meant by water and conditioner. The bottle method, yes, i did that but for some reason it stopped working after a few times. I dont know, maybe i did it wrong, so im gonna try it again and see what will happen
    within my own wisdom

Length
    APL/??/CL
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/iii

I’m with Lapushka on getting rid of the clips. Maybe try sleeping with your hair in a pineapple ‘do and get a silk or silky-feeling pillow case? You’d be shocked what a difference your pillowcase can make. It was such a game-changer for me I even put one over the headrest in my car. Well worth the money!!!

I had some trouble finding a sleep ‘do after my braid started strangling me at night. I tried sleeping with a loose bun held by a hair fork. I’m not a particularly wild sleeper, but the fork caused a little breakage and even yanked a small lock of hair out. Sleeping with hair toys other than maybe a non-damaging hair tie that isn’t very tight simply doesn’t work for a lot of people, and I think that might be especially true for us curlies—so much easier for them to snag on curls!

I think Penny Tovar (formerly Curly Penny) and Bianca Renee have some videos on YouTube about sleeping with your hair in a pineapple and refreshing the next day. And if you can’t find those, there are certainly other videos on there about it. (I personally refresh with aloe gel or a specific conditioner I use as curl cream instead of conditioner and water. They work well for me.)
    Last edited by JennGalt; September 20th, 2018 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Typo and added a bit. Edit 2: more typos. My phone hates me or something.
    Classic stretched, bcl to tbl most days otherwise.
    Unruly mix of 3s.