Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a way to get the smell of cigarettes out of hair without shampoo?

Type
    1a/F/i

Default Re: Is there a way to get the smell of cigarettes out of hair without shampoo?

I'd pop on a buff, and keep an extra sweater or jacket in the car. And just not worry about the extra wash in case it's needed. You could also do a vinegar spray, I used that to get the smell out of one of my cars that had previously been smoked in. Kept an open jar with vinegar and water in for quite some time. I also used vinegar to scrub it clean.

That old smell can linger, especially if you're a non-smoker. Norway is more or less smoke-free these days after it was banned in public places many years ago. I'd forgotten how bad it was until I went to France on holiday a few years back, and it seemed everybody smoked everywhere

My friend's most impressive fourth ever braid on real hair a week after first learning, february-23.

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Is there a way to get the smell of cigarettes out of hair without shampoo?

Quote Originally Posted by embee View Post
    This ^ does not reflect my experience.

Years ago I helped with an old gentleman who smoked a lot, and when I went from his place to my job, my boss would always complain about the smell of cigarettes, and eventually she even moved my desk so "my smell" would not annoy her. It was on my clothing, my hair, everywhere.

I'd forgotten about this until I recently borrowed a book from a friend who smokes. I could smell that book in my house for *days*. At first I couldn't figure out where the smell was even coming from, but finally located the source when I had a chance to read the book. OMGoodness, what a surprise.
    Ugh, books from people who smoke or wear perfume. My lovely great aunt made me a beautiful shawl that I could not wear until I’d washed it due to being exposed to the perfume in her orbit.

I’ve had to move on public buses because someone nearby had smoke or perfume on their clothes, and I’ve seriously considered getting off. Thank goodness for rescue inhalers!

To the OP, it might be possible to wear an outer removable layer like coveralls and cover your hair with a scarf so most of the smell lands on that and can be easily removed. A scarf would certainly be easy to try. Thank you for being considerate of your other clients!

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    28"/36"/Long
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I've removed cigarette smell from all kinds of strange objects (clothes, instruments, cases) by using an ionizer (an electric fan-type thing that creates ozone, an air purifier).

How about an ionizer hairbrush? https://www.sharperimage.com/si/view...r+Brush/202671

Length
    Chin/APL/TBD
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Thanks for all of the replies guys!
    There's definately some stuff here I haven't thought of.

As far as how bad it actually is, yes, it's strong enough that it lingers, and yes, other people can smell it.
    She and her husband each smoke a pack a day indoors, and they're a cheaper kind. I don't know if that makes the smell better or worse, but I'm guessing worse.
    The first time I saw her, when I came home my mom asked me if one of my client's smokes, and both of my parents have since remarked that it's a shame they can tell clients smoke from how I smell.
    I think if you're use to being around cigarettes you don't notice it as much. Sometimes my client apologizes for not havinig a chance to spray the room down with fabreez, and I don't have the heart to tell her it makes absolutely no difference.
    She's a very sweet woman, this is literally my only problem with seeing her.
    Things are ok for now because she's the last client I see, but if I start seeing someone after her, especially if it's a kid, I don't want to have to worry about it.

But again, this has all been very helpful. I'll try bringing a pullover on cold days, dryer sheets, washing with conditioner, and tying my hair up.
    The hairbrush looks cool, but at the price I'd put that as a last resort.
    Thanks everyone

Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Just a couple to 5 minutes in fresh air and the smell is gone. It's not that bad.

My parents are smokers as well, never in front of me as a child and never in the car. I never reeked of smoke.

I swear a lot of this is mental, thinking you have that scent permanently embedded in you, while you just don't.

I might be far more accepting of people smoking because I have relatives who smoke, have smoked in the past. But these days I mean, such a fuss about it, while it basically just dissipates in fresh air. It's not like it's permanently attached to you until you wash yourself and your hair. Not necessary at all!

This is not my experience.
    My dad and aunt and brother who I visit often, are heavy smokers.
    My hair and especially my clothes REEK afterwards.
    5 mins of fresh air does not help one bit.
    I have to wash my clothes and my hair to get rid of the smell.
    This is surely not mental...

And I am HAPPY with the "fuss" about smoking nowadays.
    I am so glad it isn't allowed anymore in public places.
    No more stink, no more astma-attacks after I go places.

If you don't want to use shampoo, maybe you can wash with conditioner?
    Or use a bit of scented oil in your hair.

*Pictures*
    *Rosettebun tutorial*
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be
    judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Gandhi

Lagging behind life MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/ankl?/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

lapushka you yourself often say you have an iron nose and some people are very sensitive to certain smells (I once opened a store-bought cake and exclaimed 'oh, it's got alcohol in it!' - turns out it had vanilla liqueur as one of the very very last ingredients, which nobody else could smell) and especially to someone who's never smoked or regularly been around people who smoke, the smell can be a lot more obvious than to someone who's lived with it in some way.

That said, I think I've encountered the grand total of three people in my entire life who smoked a couple a day and didn't smell of it so it *is* possible ... just unlikely.

I'm always shocked when I go to London how many people still smoke, especially young professionals. I remember it being bad enough in our local town when I was on foot, but at wheelchair height it's horrendous. Being a polite Brit I still automatically try not to cough too loudly when it ends up in my face though

As for the OP, I have nothing to add but sympathy and to echo the praise for being so considerate of your other clients too
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by eresh View Post
    This is not my experience.
    My dad and aunt and brother who I visit often, are heavy smokers.
    My hair and especially my clothes REEK afterwards.
    5 mins of fresh air does not help one bit.
    I have to wash my clothes and my hair to get rid of the smell.
    This is surely not mental...

And I am HAPPY with the "fuss" about smoking nowadays.
    I am so glad it isn't allowed anymore in public places.
    No more stink, no more astma-attacks after I go places.

If you don't want to use shampoo, maybe you can wash with conditioner?
    Or use a bit of scented oil in your hair.
    My mom and dad were *never* heavy smokers, just one here and there. So I think that is what does it.

I think smokers these days, it's like a witch hunt, and so double-faced of the government, because it brings them heavy tax income. So I don't think we need to be honing in on the smokers at all. It is still allowed, OTOH and OTOH so double-faced all these so-called instruments to stop people from smoking.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    SL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    My mom and dad were *never* heavy smokers, just one here and there. So I think that is what does it.

I think smokers these days, it's like a witch hunt, and so double-faced of the government, because it brings them heavy tax income. So I don't think we need to be honing in on the smokers at all. It is still allowed, OTOH and OTOH so double-faced all these so-called instruments to stop people from smoking.
    Yup
    If we "bad ones" all quit smoking they would lose a crappy amount of money
    The NRT are also ridicously expensive since they contain nicotine and it's just one more way to earn money. Not to mention that this stuff doesn't work one bit.
    Den som väntar på något gott väntar aldrig för länge.

Lady Sheala the Conjurer of the Empress Tree in the Order of Long Haired Knights

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

I find in my experience that the smell of smoke does linger terribly on both hair and clothing! I have had people ask me if I have been smoking, because I had the smell of smoke on me, but I have never smoked, but have on occasion been around people who were smoking. I had to wash my hair and clothes to get rid of the smell. Smokers often feel that they don't smell, but someone only has to walk past me and I easily smell the smoke on them. They probably have "nose blindness" where their nose gets used to the smell and they no longer smell it.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Sarahlabyrinth View Post
    I find in my experience that the smell of smoke does linger terribly on both hair and clothing! I have had people ask me if I have been smoking, because I had the smell of smoke on me, but I have never smoked, but have on occasion been around people who were smoking. I had to wash my hair and clothes to get rid of the smell. Smokers often feel that they don't smell, but someone only has to walk past me and I easily smell the smoke on them. They probably have "nose blindness" where their nose gets used to the smell and they no longer smell it.
    Well the smart ones know they smell. I had no illusion about smelling. The others either don't care or really don't get it.

I missed the smoked indoors bit, no wonder it's clinging to you. Third hand smoke (the stuff that clings to you) isn't great for you. I'd highly encourage you to wash your hair after being in their house despite the hassle, and perhaps have "their house only" clothes.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights