Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 6062

Thread: The Wavy and Wurly thread!

Length
    APL/21"/35"
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii

Default Re: The Wavy and Wurly thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshineliz View Post
    BTW I read somewhere (just like me to not remember where) that lots of wavies get wurlier and curlier as they get longer. But, also the curlies' curls tend to elongate as they get longer and heavier. I don't think they go away, they just can lose a lot of spring and I think it said sometimes even get more wavy. Guess it depends on the person.
    You may have read that in Curly Girl! She talks about how the really curlies hair can "wilt" as it grows from the weight.

But I'm a Wavy/S'Wavy to I should just keep curling!

Which, I must say, thrills me because I've spend most of my life trying to look like I have wavy-curls, and now I find out I have them NATURALLY. (I just need to cultivate them a bit more...)

I want to smack every hair dresser or product sales-person that ever made me doubt my hair and waste my money and time.
    You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body. ~ C.S. Lewis

My Hair Blog~Wurly Wavelengths and My Google+ Profile

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by WittyWordsmith View Post
    They both look all right as far as dealing with silicones and such, BUT they both are pretty high in the alcohols, which can really dry out curly hair. I'd lean more towards the Boots Essentials one, myself.
    WittyWordsmith, you might want to look into the alcohol thing a little more, because not ALL alcohols are drying, and I know you'd hate to steer someone wrong.

This link of Ingredients Commonly Found in Hair-Care Products is a resource that many of us here have found helpful (I keep it bookmarked, in fact).

The alcohols that you tend to see in styling products (like gel, mousse, hair spray) are the ones that are more likely to be drying. The alcohols that are found in conditioners and moisture treatments tend to be fatty alcohols, which are emollients with lubricate and also help to stabilize emulsions. There is nothing to fear from a fatty alcohol in a hair care product -- and our options would be SEVERELY limited if we had to avoid EVERY type of alcohol, as fatty alcohols are in almost every type of conditioning product.

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro

Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrox View Post
    I am not at any great lengths yet, but mine is definitely getting curlier as it gets longer, seems the length is need for it to do a full turn on itself - if that makes sense!
    That's a great way of describing the effect that length can have. My shortest layers are above chin length and are just wavy, however, the longer layers are approaching APL and have gone ringletty at the ends and that stronger wurliness has also travelled up the hair too

Quote Originally Posted by pixiestar View Post
    Wondering if anyone uses curl creams? I was thinking of getting either the one by Naked in boots or boots own pink curl cream. Have any of you used these? and are they any good? thanks everyone
    I've heard the Naked curl range is good, but I've not used it myself. I can recommend Curls Soufflé curl cream http://www.curls.biz/curly-hair-prod...l-p-16149.html - it's incredibly moisturising and has a great effect on my dry, coarse hair. I use it on wet hair, in place of leave-in conditioner, and to scrunch out the crunch when my hair has dried, it helps me achieve 2nd day hair. A tub of the curl cream lasts me for months, it's a very rich product so a little goes a long way. I get it for around £9-10 with free delivery from www.feelunique.com.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshineliz View Post
    BTW I read somewhere (just like me to not remember where) that lots of wavies get wurlier and curlier as they get longer. But, also the curlies' curls tend to elongate as they get longer and heavier. I don't think they go away, they just can lose a lot of spring and I think it said sometimes even get more wavy. Guess it depends on the person.
    Wavies need length to even develop their curl pattern. Often the pattern won't start to really develop until around shoulder length; this also depends on how wavy you are. Wurlier types will develop their pattern sooner than shoulder length. Curly hair you tend to notice right from the root, and the pattern won't change with length until the hair gets to a point where the weight actually pulls the pattern loose. It very much depends on what texture you are.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    APL/21"/35"
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii

Thank you GRU!I appreciate the correction. I feel better now knowing the truth about those alcohols! And I'm totally bookmarking that page right now. Something tells me I'll spend lots of time studying it!
    You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body. ~ C.S. Lewis

My Hair Blog~Wurly Wavelengths and My Google+ Profile

Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by WittyWordsmith View Post
    Thank you GRU!I appreciate the correction. I feel better now knowing the truth about those alcohols! And I'm totally bookmarking that page right now. Something tells me I'll spend lots of time studying it!
    You're VERY welcome, and I had a feeling you'd like that page! It came in particularly handy for me back when I was first learning this whole "is this a 'cone? is that a 'cone?" stuff.

You know you're a true addict to this stuff when you're reading ingredients in the store and you see coco betaine (or similar) and you automatically think, "oh, that's a nice mild cleanser!"

I'm just not ready to be a Renegray yet!
    Avatar credit to the lovely milagro

Length
    15/apl/Waist

Quote Originally Posted by GRU View Post
    WittyWordsmith, you might want to look into the alcohol thing a little more, because not ALL alcohols are drying, and I know you'd hate to steer someone wrong.

This link of Ingredients Commonly Found in Hair-Care Products is a resource that many of us here have found helpful (I keep it bookmarked, in fact).

The alcohols that you tend to see in styling products (like gel, mousse, hair spray) are the ones that are more likely to be drying. The alcohols that are found in conditioners and moisture treatments tend to be fatty alcohols, which are emollients with lubricate and also help to stabilize emulsions. There is nothing to fear from a fatty alcohol in a hair care product -- and our options would be SEVERELY limited if we had to avoid EVERY type of alcohol, as fatty alcohols are in almost every type of conditioning product.
    Thanks Gru I shall be reading this and book marking. Thank you

Length
    15/apl/Waist

I've heard the Naked curl range is good, but I've not used it myself. I can recommend Curls Soufflé curl cream http://www.curls.biz/curly-hair-prod...l-p-16149.html - it's incredibly moisturising and has a great effect on my dry, coarse hair. I use it on wet hair, in place of leave-in conditioner, and to scrunch out the crunch when my hair has dried, it helps me achieve 2nd day hair. A tub of the curl cream lasts me for months, it's a very rich product so a little goes a long way. I get it for around £9-10 with free delivery from www.feelunique.com.[/QUOTE]

I will check it out thank you

Gregorian Enchantress Theobroma's Avatar
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by GRU View Post

Eh. I just checked the ingredient list of my AVG and it contains benzyl alcohol... which unfortunately does not show up under the fatty alcohols in that list. Would anyone know how drying it's likely to be?

Length
    bob/Waist/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Theobroma View Post
    Eh. I just checked the ingredient list of my AVG and it contains benzyl alcohol... which unfortunately does not show up under the fatty alcohols in that list. Would anyone know how drying it's likely to be?
    From Wikipedia:

Applications

Benzyl alcohol is used as a general solvent for inks, paints, lacquers, and epoxy resin coatings.[5] It is also a precursor to a variety of esters, used in the soap, perfume, and flavor industries. It is often added to intravenous medication solutions as a preservative due to its bacteriostatic and antipruritic properties. It is also used as a photographic developer.
    [edit] Nanotechnological uses

Benzyl alcohol has been used as a dielectric solvent for the dielectrophoretic reconfiguration of nanowires.[6]
    [edit] Use in health care

Benzyl alcohol is used as a bacteriostatic preservative at low concentration in intravenous medications. It is oxidized rapidly in healthy individuals to benzoic acid, conjugated with glycine in the liver, and excreted as hippuric acid. High concentrations can result in toxic effects including respiratory failure, vasodilation, hypotension, convulsions, and paralysis. Newborns, especially if critically ill, may not metabolize benzyl alcohol as readily as adults. Reports in the early 1980s of sixteen neonatal deaths associated with the use of saline flush solutions containing benzyl alcohol preservative led to recommendations to avoid its use in neonates.[7]
    The use of benzyl alcohol as a 5% solution has been approved by the U.S. FDA in the treatment of head lice in children older than 6 months and in adults.[8] The product is sold in the United States (prescription-only) as Ulesfia lotion. The benzyl alcohol prevents the lice from closing their respiratory spiracles: the spiracles become blocked with the other products in the lotion, and the lice asphyxiate.[8] The lotion is not effective against louse eggs, and so two applications with an interval of seven days are required to treat a case of louse infestation.[8]

-----------

ETA:

What is Benzyl Alcohol?
    Benzyl Alcohol is a component of many essential oils. It can e.g. be found in the essential oil of ylang-ylang used in aromatherapy, often at 6.0% concentration
    (vs. Cleanut under 1.0%). Jasmin, hyacinth and other plants yield similar BA content. Essential oils of these plants are often used in cosmetics because they contain a lot of BA and BA kills bacteria i.e. eliminates pimples. (It is not required to list this ingredient by percentages, if listed at all.)

Along with citric acid benzyl alcohol (BA) is used as a bacteriostatic preservative in a similar concentration
    as is found in many parenteral(injected) medications. This equates a concentration of 0.00036 fluid ounce
    BA per gallon of water in a standard top-load washer.

HTH!
    Last edited by K_Angel; May 21st, 2011 at 04:34 AM.