Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Curly Girl Method (CGM) Thread

Default Re: Curly Girl Method (CGM) Thread

Is cgm unsuitable for a person who's hair is very prone to get tangled? My number 1 priority in haircare is to avoid tangles...

Length
    Pixie/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

Probably. I wouldnt suggest the CGM. Silicones are known for helping to provide slip to the hair which avoids tangles. Silicones protect hair in many ways, so if your hair is especially prone to tangles you'd probably benefit from having them in your routine
    P̶i̶x̶i̶e̶,̶ ̶C̶h̶i̶n̶,̶ ̶S̶L̶,̶ ̶C̶B̶L̶,̶ ̶A̶P̶L̶,̶ ̶B̶S̶L̶,̶ ̶W̶L̶!̶!̶ ....on to hip?

Quote Originally Posted by Priska View Post
    Is cgm unsuitable for a person who's hair is very prone to get tangled? My number 1 priority in haircare is to avoid tangles...
    I just posted earlier this morning in the products forum that I'm going back to silicones after several years of trying CGM. My hair is just too fine textured, and it's been a nightmare of tangles on CGM. I hate how much straighter it is with silicones, but it looks too much a rat's nest right now on CGM.

Video I found informative:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaED6MfWies
    Last edited by DarleneH; March 18th, 2024 at 02:24 PM.

Thank you DarleneH and Chasemi!

I'm especially afraid of not being able to brush the hair... doesn't this easily cause tangles?...

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

If you are in the 1s... don't do it. You have to have at least some texture, IMO.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

I will eat all your tofu maborosi's Avatar
    Length
    16"/43"/55"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

I am trying to help my husband with his hair and I am SO overwhelmed. His hair is just completely different to mine (I'm 1a/1b) and he's in the 3s. We hairtyped him as 3b when we started, but some of his curls have tightened up some. I wouldn't say he's in the 3c range though, solidly 3b. His hair is fine but I'd put him in the ii range (impossible to measure at the moment since his hair is too short lol)

I switched him over to the following products for his day-to-day care:

-Shampoo (weekly or as-needed): Shea Moisture Hibiscus Curl and Shine Shampoo (seems to use less harsh detergents.)
    -Conditioner (every wash, either as a cowash or conditioner after shampoo): Shea Moisture Hibiscus Curl and Shine Conditioner
    -Leave-in Cream: Shea Moisture Hibiscus Curl and Style Milk

With those three, his hair definitely looks a lot more hydrated and his curls behave a LOT better.

Then we get into these styling products:

-Garnier Fructis Style Curl Sculpt Conditioning Cream Gel - Has a lot of hold and seems good for when he needs something that will hold his curls in-place for the whole day (like going to work)
    -Aussie Miracle Curls Curl Refresher- This seems to have light hold, but maybe works well for when he's not going to wash his hair that day and just needs something to 'refresh' his hair.

I guess my main concerns are this:

1) His hair absolutely drinks up those conditioners, to the point where I have no idea if we're overmoisturizing his hair or not. What are the tell-tale signs for curlies? My hair would get limp and lank and look 'wet' and greasy. His curls don't get stretched out or weighed down very much even when we put quite a lot of leave-in cream. His hair is still a little bit frizzy, which makes me think it may need more hydration, so I'm looking into a hair masque of some sort to help with that.

2) When is the best time to apply styling gel if he washes his hair at night? It says to apply to damp hair- should he just go to bed, then spritz his hair in the morning and apply gel? Or should we be applying some kind of gel regardless of when he washes? (Like apply an AVG overnight)

3) Detangling. His hair is now long enough that detangling is becoming a concern. Curlies- do y'all only detangle during/after/before washing? What about days when you don't wash? Are there specific brush/comb types that work better for curlies? I have a TT and it works so well for me, but I have no idea how he'd go about detangling without making it into a frizzy mess...

4) Trimming. How on earth do I do trims on his hair? He probably needs one but I am so lost I know there's probably a different method to it than what I do. I am terrified of messing up his curl pattern lol.

I know it's a lot of really basic questions, but I trust everyone on LHC a lot more than just googling and finding people who may be shilling products. :P I hope some of y'all may have good resources to help!

Length
    17?/37/...
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

My hair was at mid thigh one length. Due to health had it cut to shoulder length with layers. Now have grown it out to almost hip layers and all. My problem is I started the CG method. It was wonderful the curls that I never thought I could achieve. Now that it’s almost hip length I get lots tangles and matted. Does it have anything to do with layers in hair? Love the curls so much but to get it that way I have to style with CG products & want it to last a couple days and than refresh it. No chemicals on hair. I air dry it. I CO wash but shampoo scalp every so often. Your help will be much appreciated. I’m pretty sure I’m 2B or possibly 2C
    Last edited by Komao; Today at 02:39 PM.
    She foots it ever fair and young, Her locks are tied in haste,
    And one is o’er her shoulder flung, And hangs below her waist