Thread: How to tell when type-4 hair is dry?

Length
    4''/22''/36''
    Type
    3c/M/ii/iii

Default How to tell when type-4 hair is dry?

I have always had a difficult time telling the difference between my hair when it is moisturized and when it is dry, except for extremes (e.g. soaking wet hair after a shower vs. the point when my hair has become so dry that it is brittle and breaking).

I would like to moisturize my hair before it becomes dry and brittle, but I cannot tell if my hair is dry (until it has reached its driest point).

I have type 4a hair. When I read about the normal indicators of dryness (coarse & dull), that sounds like its just describing most type-4 hair...

What are some reliable indicators of dryness for type-4 hair that isn't normally shiny and smooth?

Length
    NL/APL/HL
    Type
    4a/C/ii/iii

Default Re: How to tell when type-4 hair is dry?

Even all type 4 hair is different so it is hard to tell. I go by feel. It feels dry, for lack of better description. Rough, brittle. It should have some feeling of elasticity, like if you pull it (gently) it should stretch and not break. It does feel soft when it is moisturized, and maybe not shiny but not quite dull either. Light will still bounce from the surface.

I'm sure that was confusing, I hope that helps. You just have to get accustomed to how your own hair behaves when it is dry vs. when it is not.
    in a possibly permanent lurk mode

Length
    23.5"/23.5"/Term.
    Type
    3c/4a/M/C/ii/iii

Hey there,

I definitely second what blackgothicdoll said. For me personally, I think it just comes with time, trial and error, and experience with your own hair. What does your routine look like? How are you moisturizing? Our hair does have some shine, but it's mostly sheen that you are looking for which is more understated.

I can tell my hair is dry when it's frizzing more than normal if i'm wearing it curly or by the way it feels. My hair is normally soft and easier to manage when it is moisturized. The curls are more defined, my styles hold better.

Mother of Crocodiles YvetteVarie's Avatar
    Length
    TWA/TWA/max
    Type
    4a/4b/M/C/ii/iii

I go by feel. When my hair is moisturised it is soft and easy to manipulate. And it co-operates with styling very well when moisturised. Also, my roots (which are natural) have defined curls
    fade -> EL->NL ~> APL ~> BSL ~> MBL ~> WL (stretched goals)

Cut off locs and restarting hair journey

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MagusBride View Post
    I have always had a difficult time telling the difference between my hair when it is moisturized and when it is dry, except for extremes (e.g. soaking wet hair after a shower vs. the point when my hair has become so dry that it is brittle and breaking).

I would like to moisturize my hair before it becomes dry and brittle, but I cannot tell if my hair is dry (until it has reached its driest point).

I have type 4a hair. When I read about the normal indicators of dryness (coarse & dull), that sounds like its just describing most type-4 hair...

What are some reliable indicators of dryness for type-4 hair that isn't normally shiny and smooth?
    What is your routine like?

If you don't want it to go dry, I would moisturize and re-fresh every morning, or every couple days, if you wear it down. And I would wash once every 2 weeks or even once every week. That is how you do it, by not leaving your hair "out" too long, so it can get the benefits from a deep conditioner at least once a week, or once every 2.

My mom is on month 3 now and it has gone quite dry on her right now. Next Monday is wash day.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    4/7/10
    Type
    4c/F/M/ii

I would wash once every 2 weeks or even once every week.