Thread: Shampoo Recommendations

Length
    4''/22''/36''
    Type
    3c/M/ii/iii

Default Shampoo Recommendations

Hi! Sorry if this is a weird question, but have any of you used a shampoo that you noticed makes your scalp react by being MORE oily? What shampoo was it?

I have dry skin (including scalp) but I've noticed that certain cleansers are so strong that if I use them on my face before bed and do not follow up with a lotion or anything, my skin is basically forced to react by producing a lot of its own sebum overnight. I'm looking for a shampoo that might do the same thing for my scalp.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Shampoo Recommendations

Look for stuff that contains avocado oil, or any oil. Ultra doux's (that's the Garnier's blend line) olive oil one for instance is a good one. It often times just says right on the bottle if it's for dry hair or not.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

If you are looking for a harsh cleanser, try prell. Make sure to follow with a good conditioner.

You can also massage your scalp, the more you touch skin, the more oil it produces.
    I tend to rub my scalp when watching TV or reading. I don't tend to have a oily scalp but if I rub at it too much, I'll have to wash twice a day.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Is your scalp really dry?

If you need to wash more than once a week, your scalp is not dry, it's oily. If you wash about weekly, it's "normal", and if you can go longer, then it's dry. Often there are tons of misconceptions on what "dry" really is. My mom, for instance, can go about 2/3 months before she needs a wash. That dry. I mean, that's dry.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    13/45/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Have you tried co-washing? My scalp is normal-to-dry (I usually go 7 days between washes, but can easily go longer) and if I co-wash instead of shampooing my hair gets greasy looking much faster. I also second the scalp massage suggestion.

Length
    19/31/50
    Type
    3b/M/i/ii

If you haven’t tried co-washing, you might like to try a natural brand or even home made shampoos. I like Shea moisture for my curly hair, but I’ve heard other people recommend Maui moisture. I’ve also been successful with ACV rinses.