Thread: Show me your beribboned hair!!

Feminist warrior-druidess SwordWomanRiona's Avatar
    Celtiberian pseudo-Rivendell fort overlooking the sunset
    Length
    Trim/Calf-/Knee
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Default Show me your beribboned hair!!

I don't know if there's already a thread about this, but anyway, I love putting ribbons in my hair, especially bright green ones! It's such a Celtic-y way to style one's hair .
    I know there are quite a few awesome 'ribbon-braiders' here in LHC, so how about sharing our beribboned hairstyles? I haven't got the knack of ribbon-braiding yet, I think, as I still find inserting the ribbons at the beginning quite a difficult task , but I would really like to learn to do it properly, so please, do share your tips along with the pictures!!

I've been searching for pics of my hair with ribbons...Here are a few to begin this thread with:

I'm still quite wasted at inserting the ribbons without the general effect looking a bit slapdash, so when I wear ribbons, the chosen hairstyle is usually an updo, like this one (braided Chinese bun):

I really like the effect of a beribboned braid, but, as I said before, I don't really know how to secure the ribbon without it showing in a, to me, unattractive way...

I think ribbons with braided hair are a very Celtic hairstyle (Elvish too!)
    Last edited by SwordWomanRiona; October 30th, 2011 at 03:12 PM.

Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Show me your beribboned hair!!

Those are so pretty! I love the green ribbon in your hair.

I wear ribbons occasionally to tie my hair off but haven't tried braiding them in very much. I'd love to see more pictures of people who have.
    Have a beautiful day!

Length
    sl/waist/~
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Your green ribbon is great! I really like the buns with the incorporated ribbons, too.

I can't seem to locate the photos I've taken with my hair in a red ribbon, but the braid definitely wasn't as pretty because I couldn't get the strands to consistently show the ribbon, plus I think my ribbon is a bit thinner than the one you're using. What I do to start braids is fold the ribbon in half, put it up against the base of my head wherever the braid will start, and then put each ribbon half into one of the braid strands, then braid down.

My braid looks about the same as yours, except my hair is a lot shorter, but rather than ending with a knot, I cut the ribbon length so that I have enough to tie a bow at the end (double-knotted, otherwise it comes undone).

Sorry I don't have pics! Your hair looks great with ribbons, though, and I like your LoTR theme going on, too.

Lover of Rainbows & Curls Quixii's Avatar
    Length
    0?/knee+/knee
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii/iii

Wow, that's so cool!
    I feel like it wouldn't look nearly so good in my lighter coloured hair. Hm..
    Though you said you have troubles inserting it in the beginning, I'd love to know how you do start off a braid with a ribbon. And do you use the ribbon as one of the three parts, or combined with one of the three parts?
    Knee+ length! Lady Gelôs, Keeper of the Silken Aulaeum in the Order of the Long Haired Knights <3

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Quixii View Post
    Though you said you have troubles inserting it in the beginning, I'd love to know how you do start off a braid with a ribbon. And do you use the ribbon as one of the three parts, or combined with one of the three parts?
    From what I remember...

I only had my hair braided with a ribbon when I was young, so I don't know that much about it, but what my mom did was use a long ribbon, fold it in half, then tie it round (behind) the ponytail elastic, tying it in two knots (bottom of ponytail), and then she braided the doubled up ribbon through (in with the middle strand).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2a/M/iii

Here's an old one lol:

the lords of chaos will never die

Length
    27/42/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quixii, To get ribbon-braids to look really nice in light hair, you just need a ribbon that contrasts nicely. I think a forest green or royal blue might look nice in your hair.

I used to have ribbons braided into my hair as a child. I had light brown/dark blonde hair back then, and I think we usually used relatively bright colors, as I was a little girl.

BTW, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't use the word lame to speak about things you don't like. Lame refers to an altered gait or a limp, which would be how I walk because of my disability. When you use the word lame to refer to bad things, you imply that having a different-looking gait is bad. There are a great many of us who don't walk 'normally' who don't appreciate the implication. Thanks.

~Blaze
    Lady Blaze Sweetsong of the Swift Arrow and the Law Scroll, Priestess of the Divine Flame in the Order of Long-Haired Knights, with her service dog Sir Foofus

Feminist warrior-druidess SwordWomanRiona's Avatar
    Celtiberian pseudo-Rivendell fort overlooking the sunset
    Length
    Trim/Calf-/Knee
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by BlazingHeart View Post
    Quixii, To get ribbon-braids to look really nice in light hair, you just need a ribbon that contrasts nicely. I think a forest green or royal blue might look nice in your hair.

I used to have ribbons braided into my hair as a child. I had light brown/dark blonde hair back then, and I think we usually used relatively bright colors, as I was a little girl.

BTW, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't use the word lame to speak about things you don't like. Lame refers to an altered gait or a limp, which would be how I walk because of my disability. When you use the word lame to refer to bad things, you imply that having a different-looking gait is bad. There are a great many of us who don't walk 'normally' who don't appreciate the implication. Thanks.

~Blaze
    I'm SO sorry, BlazingHeart, I can assure you that I didn't mean that with my use of the word, but you're completely right, it's a very thoughtless and ugly word to use (I hardly ever use it, but still) . I would feel rightfully angered too. I have altered the expression straightaway. Sometimes we use words figuratively, without thinking about the original meaning, when we shouldn't.
    Last edited by SwordWomanRiona; October 30th, 2011 at 03:14 PM.

Length
    12/12.5/24
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii/iii

I find this thread inspiring. I want to try ribbon braiding. I love the green one in the Chinese bun.

Length
    Short/Clssc/Term
    Type
    2a/M/ii

There is an LHC article on this by mira-chan here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...e&articleid=60. At the end of it is a link to a video that she made.

I really like the idea of putting the ribboned braid in an up-do. It looks great on you!

Proud member of the Renegray Gang

Lady Alassiel of Water and Wisdom in The Order of the Long Haired Knights