Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Citric acid (malic acid) hair rinse for scalp and greasiness

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Type
    1a/F/i

Default Citric acid (malic acid) hair rinse for scalp and greasiness

I want to know if anyone here who used citric or malic acid as a hair rinse and used it also on scalp saw the rinse affecting greasiness of hair.
    Did your hair get oily sooner or later than without it?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Citric acid (malic acid) hair rinse for scalp and greasiness

I used to use a plain lemon rinse on my lengths, and it worked better for me than a vinegar rinse (didn't do a thing), but the difference between using it and not using it was so minimal, that I don't see why I should put the effort in. So I leave it out. I never did these rinses on my scalp. Tea rinses (camomile) yes, but not lemon or vinegar.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    1a/F/i

I did use citric acid rinse when I was using shampoo bars as in my washing routine. It needed to be quite strong to neutralize soap in and when I used it too close to scalp my hair got oily extremely fast. I switched that routine over a year ago and I need to say that my hair gets a lot worst. BecauseI stoped using rinse when I ditched soap. Hard water made since than terrible damage to my hair. My hair started snapping and I have split ends on most of my hair on whole lengths.
    Harm is done, but I can do something to stop further damage. Only I don't know what.

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Shigure View Post
    I did use citric acid rinse when I was using shampoo bars as in my washing routine. It needed to be quite strong to neutralize soap in and when I used it too close to scalp my hair got oily extremely fast. I switched that routine over a year ago and I need to say that my hair gets a lot worst. BecauseI stoped using rinse when I ditched soap. Hard water made since than terrible damage to my hair. My hair started snapping and I have split ends on most of my hair on whole lengths.
    Harm is done, but I can do something to stop further damage. Only I don't know what.
    You don't need to use shampoo bars to use an acidic rinse, you can use them after "regular" shampoo as well and it is something I would recommend highly.

I am a shampoo bar user myself so I have played with these rinses quite a bit. I find that if I make my mix too strong, my hair will look greasy much faster. If I have the ratio right though, it makes my hair much smoother and more shiny. If you have extreme build up, you might try a special clarifying shampoo, but honestly I have been fine just using a citric acid/ACV mix for that. You will need the citric for sure to remove the build up much, the vinegar is more for prevention. In extremely hard water like I had for the past decade, I needed both! In softer water I can get away with just the ACV, but that doesn't sound like the case for you. Part of the trouble is that the difference between moderately hard water and extremely hard is literally exponential, so you will need to do some trial and error.

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Are you sure it's the water? Hard water usually can't break off hair. That's giving it too much credit.

What's your whole routine like? Do you use protein? What kind of products? Do you still use heat? Etc.

Type
    1a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Are you sure it's the water? Hard water usually can't break off hair. That's giving it too much credit.

What's your whole routine like? Do you use protein? What kind of products? Do you still use heat? Etc.
    I don't think it's all from hard water but mostly. Year ago my BF moved to my place having beautiful thick hair. Now his hair are damaged just like mine.

My routine...
    I never in my life used conditioner and until my water changed it never was a problem. I've started some tme ago but I can't figure out if they do anything to me.
    I don't use conventional shampoo due to allergy. I use ph balanced soap based product. Wash my hair every other day. I don't have routine sinse I'm trying using coonditioners as normal, as leave-ins, oils etc.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I don't think it's all from hard water but mostly. Year ago my BF moved to my place having beautiful thick hair. Now his hair are damaged just like mine.

My routine...
    I never in my life used conditioner and until my water changed it never was a problem. I've started some tme ago but I can't figure out if they do anything to me.
    I don't use conventional shampoo due to allergy. I use ph balanced soap based product. Wash my hair every other day. I don't have routine sinse I'm trying using coonditioners as normal, as leave-ins, oils etc.
    That is so odd.

I have had hard water all my life.

Type
    1a/F/i

That is so odd.

I also have hard water all my life. In my family house I still do but I live elsewhere now and after some city adjustments and changing water source in my neighbourhood my whole bathroom is now covered in pinkish-orange build up. At first we've done regular cleaning but it was to much work to maintain. We don't bother anymore.

Yesterday I've measured pH of my tap water. It was almost 8.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I also have hard water all my life. In my family house I still do but I live elsewhere now and after some city adjustments and changing water source in my neighbourhood my whole bathroom is now covered in pinkish-orange build up. At first we've done regular cleaning but it was to much work to maintain. We don't bother anymore.

Yesterday I've measured pH of my tap water. It was almost 8.
    Yikes!

Pink residue, we don't have here. We do have pretty hefty limescale if you don't scrub your taps and toilets weekly.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

That is so odd.

A member here posted a before and after photo of moving to England (with hard water) and her ends were *drastically* thinner - she said she cried when she saw the photo. Yet I've used that same water all my life; ours is at the 'very hard' end of the scale for the UK and I think those of us who have grown up with hard water most likely have unknowingly accounted for hard water in our routine anyway, just responding to what our hair is telling us. (Yes there is also the issue of water quality and pH but I'd imagine hard water in Poland is of decent quality!*) And everybody's hair responds differently anyway

(I think I've said this before but it worth repeating - I wonder if those of us with extra-moisturising routines would only need, say, one conditioner and perhaps a leave-in on textured hair if we had soft water )

*Edit: Shigure I've just seen your post about pinkish-orange water and pH 8 - that would definitely explain it! The higher the pH, the more minerals the hair will take on. Do you know exactly what's in the water? That might help you work out if vinegar or citric / other acid will likely work best. http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.co...your-hair.html
    Last edited by MusicalSpoons; March 1st, 2019 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Didn't see post before typing mine
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness