Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permanent Hair Colours - Purple especially

Length
    16/22/30
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Question Permanent Hair Colours - Purple especially

Hi all,
    I haven't used a box colour since before 2015, maybe 2012. I used to use Casting.
    I usually henna/indigo but I haven't used that since January this year. I know it hasn't fully grown out yet though.

I have used Directions Plum a few times and I love the colour so much, but it only lasts for 10 days max on me. My hair goes back to brown and when I wash my hair, the water is still blue for weeks.

Would it be any good trying a permanent colour, or would the henna stop the colour from taking, or lasting?

I'm looking at Loreal Preference in p38 Tokyo / Intense Violet, Schwarzkopf Live in Mystic Violet, Colour Expert in Deep Amethyst or Garnier Olia in Deep Violet.

I also use a shampoo bar & acv rather than a conventional bottled shampoo, so not sure if that affects how long a colour will last for me.

October 2017 to July 2020

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Permanent Hair Colours - Purple especially

The question is with permanent dye that is a bit off of your natural color. Are you prepared to do it for the rest of at least a year, every month or so? Because that is what it takes.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    16/22/30
    Type
    1b/M/ii

The Preference one says it lasts 8 weeks, but it also says permanent.
    But if it lasts 8 weeks, it isn't permanent.
    I think 10 days isn't enough, so is there a semi-permanent that will fade out (in a reasonably nice way). ??

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

You might look into overtone. They are supposed to work well in dark hair and be longer lasting then traditional fashion colors. They are a semi permanent, non damaging.

The permanent box types have lightners and are not truly permanent so you would be damaging your hair for nothing.

If the shampoo bars you are using are lye soap based and not synthetic, then yes, they will fade dye faster.

Length
    16/22/30
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    You might look into overtone. They are supposed to work well in dark hair and be longer lasting then traditional fashion colors. They are a semi permanent, non damaging.

The permanent box types have lightners and are not truly permanent so you would be damaging your hair for nothing.

If the shampoo bars you are using are lye soap based and not synthetic, then yes, they will fade dye faster.
    Thank you, I use natural, handmade bars from small UK companies. I already had a feeling it was making my indigo fade
    I think I've seen overtone before but they don't ship to the UK

Length
    waist/clsc/???
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Pravana is supposed to be one of the longer-lasting deposit colors, but as with all deposit colors, that depends on your hair. I spent six months trying to fade my purple before I gave up, but that was after using it for a year. They also have a "locked in" line that is supposed to be even longer-lasting, but I've never tried it.
    Lady Ilium, Spellweaver and Technomancer in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    1c/2a,M,ii. Maintaining at classic for now.

Length
    17,5/25/?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Have you ever heard of Elumen? Maybe that will interest you. It's a permanent deposit dye, and there's a thread somewhere.
    I have heard the mermaids singing... and I do think that they will sing to me...

Don't miss the LHC Book Club!

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Suortuva View Post
    Have you ever heard of Elumen? Maybe that will interest you. It's a permanent deposit dye, and there's a thread somewhere.
    Elumen purple is pretty permanent in my experience so it's a good thing to try if you're looking for permanent color.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    16/22/30
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Thanks Suortuva and akurah - I see that they also have a new semi-permanent in their range if I wanted to try it first. I thought Elumen was salon only.

My hairdresser said she didn't think I could go back to chemical dye over henna. I don't know whether that's because of the worry the henna might've contained metallic salts. I've only used pure henna and indigo (It's Pure Organics is the brand I used).

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Long4Life View Post
    Thanks Suortuva and akurah - I see that they also have a new semi-permanent in their range if I wanted to try it first. I thought Elumen was salon only.

My hairdresser said she didn't think I could go back to chemical dye over henna. I don't know whether that's because of the worry the henna might've contained metallic salts. I've only used pure henna and indigo (It's Pure Organics is the brand I used).
    Is there a risk that the indigo could make your hair green if you use box dye?

If you’re happy with the colour using Directions, could you mix it with conditioner and apply it more frequently to keep the colour topped up, or is that too much hassle?