Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry scalp help

Type
    2b/F/ii/iii

Default Dry scalp help

My scalp is dry and flaky, and it looks like I have dandruff. It's mostly on top at the hairline and extending a few inches back. The flakes are very small, but there are lots of them. I just washed my hair last night, so I don't want to put moisturiser on my scalp and make it look oily again. I have had this problem on and off for ages. It is currently winter where I live.

Help! I don't know what to do.
    Maintaining at classic in 2017

Length
    cbl/tbl/clssc
    Type
    2c/C/iii

Default Re: Dry scalp help

Have you tried using a gentler shampoo, or maybe even cowashing? I know my scalp used to flake like crazy, but when I switched to a runnier shampoo (in my case, a "hypoallergenic" kids' shampoo, still with sulfates), my problems went away.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

If gentler shampoos make it worse, then it's not dry scalp but something more like dandruff or seborrheic dermatitis. And in that case only antifungal shampoos like Nizoral (ketoconazole) will work. You'll have to see and experiment a little. If you experience more shedding then it's not in favor of dry scalp but rather in favor of the need for an anti-fungal shampoo.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Maybe either jojoba or Vit E oil rubbed into the scalp will help? Neither of these oils make my hair greasy but the jojoba seems to stop the itching and the vit E oil seems to encourage growth.

Length
    WL/TBL/FTL?
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Is it for sure dry scalp and not build up? I had the same problem and got it solved with a little scritching with a wide tooth comb (rounded teeth, not sharp ones) during shampooing. I also use a mix of tea tree and neem oils sometimes before washing which works pretty well.

Length
    Buzz/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

That doesn't sound very nice, I'm sorry to hear you're having scalp trouble. Has this ever happened to you before OP? And how long has this current episode been for? Lots of good suggestions on this thread already but if you have a history of flaky scalp or dandruff vs if this has never happened before might give some insight into the possible causes.

Length
    CLB+/APL/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by parkmikii View Post
    Is it for sure dry scalp and not build up? I had the same problem and got it solved with a little scritching with a wide tooth comb (rounded teeth, not sharp ones) during shampooing. I also use a mix of tea tree and neem oils sometimes before washing which works pretty well.
    I'd say the same thing. Perhaps you have build up on your scalp? Build up can lead to oily and limp hair but also to dry and crunchy hair. Scalp can be affected as well (especially if you put a lot of product near the scalp) in a way that you'll find either dry and flaky scalp or oily and itchy scalp.
    You can also try a clarifying shampoo next time

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

How's it going now, OP, because this thread is about a month old?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2b/F/ii/iii

I'm currently trying CO washing, which has helped a bit. I wash once a week, so I have only done it a few times. I feel like if I could put moisturiser on my scalp without it making my hair gross, that would work. I do that right at my hairline and it helps. Is exfoliating the scalp a thing? Might that help? I've seen that recommended for dry, flaky skin before.

I use a scalp scrubber, to make sure I have gotten rid of all the shampoo (conditioner now), and that has helped. I don't use product on my hair, so I doubt it is build up. I have had this problem for a long time, maybe since puberty. I know my previously perfect face ended up with quite a few blemishes when puberty hit, and my forehead skin is quite dry. I am 20 now.
    Maintaining at classic in 2017

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

It would be nice to get a doctor to look at it , just to diagnose the problem. It's just that build-up of flakes can be symptomatic of a few different problems (e.g. SD, psoriasis, etc...), and it's the diagnosis that should drive the treatment.

I think if you say that moisturizer works for you and you'd like some way to exfoliate scalp, then something anti-fungal for washing (e.g. ketoconazole treatment or shampoo like Nizoral or Regenepure Dr.) and maybe trying an anti-fungal oil (e.g. neem, diluted tea tree) to moisturize and treat at the same time could help.
    I'd just stay away from oils rich in oleic acid (e.g. olive), because oleic acid is known to feed Malassezia fungus, which is directly linked to SD (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16382685 , http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18004291).
    I know some people use oats for mild exfoliation, but I don't think it would change the situation as much as a medicated shampoo/treatment would, so ideally, I'd get a doctor's diagnosis and then work from there, especially since this has been bothering you for a while.

Good luck! I really hope you'll find a solution that works and your scalp will be happy!