Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Johnson & Johnson lawsuit

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default Johnson & Johnson lawsuit

This company just proves repeatedly to be corrupt!! I’m throwing out all of my OGX. Just wanted to share

If you are not aware, these are some of the OGX shampoos that Johnson & Johnson is being sued over. They have a chemical called DMDM hydantoin, which is a base component in formaldehyde. It can cause scalp irritation and hair loss as well as being a known carcinogen.

*Here are the shampoos and conditioners and to clarify what DMDM hydantoin does. It is a preservative known to slowly leach formaldehyde when it comes into contact with water

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/il...cv50226/404315

products listed in the lawsuit.
    OGX Biotin + Collagen Shampoo
    OGX Biotin + Collagen Conditioner
    OGX Renewing Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo
    OGX Renewing Argan Oil of Morocco Conditioner
    OGX Anti-Breakage and Keratin Oil Shampoo
    OGX Anti-Breakage and Keratin Oil Conditioner
    OGX Detox + Pomegranate & Ginger Shampoo
    OGX Detox + Pomegranate & Ginger Conditioner
    OGX Marula Oil Conditioner
    OGX Nicole Guerriero Midnight Kisses Shampoo
    OGX Nicole Guerriero Midnight Kisses Conditioner
    OGX Nicole Guerriero Mistletoe Wishes Shampoo
    OGX Nicole Guerriero Mistletoe Wishes Conditioner
    OGX Nicole Guerriero Ice Berry Queen Shampoo
    OGX Nicole Guerriero Ice Berry Queen Conditioner
    OGX Extra Strength Hydrate & Repair and Argan Oil of Morocco Shampoo
    OGX Extra Strength Hydrate & Repair and Argan Oil of Morocco Conditioner
    OGX Ever Straightening and Brazilian Keratin Therapy Shampoo
    OGX Ever Straightening and Brazilian Keratin Therapy Conditioner
    OGX Kandee Johnson Candy Gumdrop Shampoo
    OGX Kandee Johnson Candy Gumdrop Conditioner
    OGX Kandee Johnson Frosted Sugar Cookie Shampoo
    OGX Kandee Johnson Frosted Sugar Cookie Conditioner
    OGX Kandee Johnson Sparkling Cider Shampoo
    OGX Kandee Johnson Sparkling Cider Conditioner
    OGX Quenching + Coconut Curls Shampoo
    OGX Quenching + Coconut Curls Conditioner
    OGX Hydrate + Defrizz and Kukui Oil Conditioner
    OGX Youth Enhancing + Sake Essence Conditioner
    Current method: WCC ROO C LOC. trimming to TBL
    no SLS (but yes to SLES) Herbal rinses: catnip, fenugreek and just started using chagrin ACV rinse when needed scalp only to scalp happy (scalp prolly needs sls)

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Johnson & Johnson lawsuit

I am of the opposite opinion. Sorry.

I think there's as much hoopla over this ingredient as there is over aluminum in deodorants, and I just don't want to vilify the ingredient. Neither was I one to bash parabens. Because what happened? Companies came up with different preservatives, because hey, people didn't realize it was substituting one over the other (even less researched). And now those newer ones are frequently a cause of contact dermatitis.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    SL/WL/CL
    Type
    3a/M/C/ii

Glad to know. I've always stayed away from that line for some reason. It just seemed fishy to call itself "Organix" when it so obviously isn't organic. Didn't know they were owned by J and J, but it's not surprising at all.

Length
    Chin/Waist/Hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

In case anyone is interested… our own bodies produce approximately 50mgs of formaldehyde a day, it’s essential for cell growth in all living cells (we’d be dead without it)… yes, it’s a carcinogen, but so is oxygen and I don’t expect anyone will be giving that up anytime soon (har har!)…

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I am of the opposite opinion. Sorry.

I think there's as much hoopla over this ingredient as there is over aluminum in deodorants, and I just don't want to vilify the ingredient. Neither was I one to bash parabens. Because what happened? Companies came up with different preservatives, because hey, people didn't realize it was substituting one over the other (even less researched). And now those newer ones are frequently a cause of contact dermatitis.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Isle-of-Mel View Post
    In case anyone is interested… our own bodies produce approximately 50mgs of formaldehyde a day, it’s essential for cell growth in all living cells (we’d be dead without it)… yes, it’s a carcinogen, but so is oxygen and I don’t expect anyone will be giving that up anytime soon (har har!)…
    I hate to say it's fear-mongering, because I do not want to trample on people's concerns, but in essence... that is why I love watching Dr Dray on YT (board certified dermatologist and I think she has a degree in "products" or is that molecular biology, anyway something to do with products & ingredients), she breaks it down to realness. I think she does have a couple videos on this issue as well. Guys, there is no need to be afraid!

I have seen this ingredient in some of my products, and no, I am not getting rid of them!

I will get back to you, going to look in her videos!

ETA/ It resembles the Tresemme lawsuit:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYuZsOAearo&t=84s

Please please please people, watch this video!
    Last edited by lapushka; January 12th, 2022 at 03:43 AM.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Account Closed by Member Request

I‘m with lapushka on this. At least here in Europe products are tested so thoroughly, they wouldn’t be allowed to be sold in drugstores if they were actually harmful. Exactly the same as with the panic about aluminum deodorants and silicones in hair podcast.

Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

Haven’t they linked the aluminum in deodorant to increased alzheimers risk?
    Here in the US they put all kinds of poison in all kinds of things. Just about everything is genetically engineered so they can spray literal poison on the food while it’s growing.
    But to the DMDM Hydantoin, apparently apples bananas and carrots also release formaldehyde and that probably assists in apples being good food for long storage. WebMD says the amount of the chemical in your average shampoo releases about as much formaldehyde as an apple

Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I just don't trust this company anymore. They knew talcum powder caused cancer and they lost the class action lawsuit. Now here we are again and there were problems with their shot. Just wanted to share this tho. Stay safe everyone. :
    Current method: WCC ROO C LOC. trimming to TBL
    no SLS (but yes to SLES) Herbal rinses: catnip, fenugreek and just started using chagrin ACV rinse when needed scalp only to scalp happy (scalp prolly needs sls)

some out of the way corner of the universe
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    I‘m with lapushka on this. At least here in Europe products are tested so thoroughly, they wouldn’t be allowed to be sold in drugstores if they were actually harmful. Exactly the same as with the panic about aluminum deodorants and silicones in hair podcast.
    Me too. A storm in a teacup. Yea, formaldehyde sounds bad but it's all about the amount, not the compound itself.
    CL//SL//APL//MBL//WL

Account Closed by Member Request

Quote Originally Posted by Jane99 View Post
    Haven’t they linked the aluminum in deodorant to increased alzheimers risk?
    Here in the US they put all kinds of poison in all kinds of things. Just about everything is genetically engineered so they can spray literal poison on the food while it’s growing.
    But to the DMDM Hydantoin, apparently apples bananas and carrots also release formaldehyde and that probably assists in apples being good food for long storage. WebMD says the amount of the chemical in your average shampoo releases about as much formaldehyde as an apple
    No, there have been no conclusive studies.

I've never been a big fan of OGX since their green fishing is awfully obvious and their products are scented so heavily. So if they end up going bankrupt, it won't be a loss for me.