Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I wash more frequently if I have dandruff?

Length
    20/23/35
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Should I wash more frequently if I have dandruff?

Hi everyone,
    I have suddenly developed dandruff over the past month, that has progressively worsened. I have white flakes and a crusty scalp that is extremely itchy. I have wavy waist-length hair.
    For about the past 6 months I have been washing my hair once a week, and it has been quite successful with my hair only getting really oily on day 6. I haven't ever had issues with dandruff before. I alternate between an avocado/jojoba shampoo and conditioner, and ALFAPARF shampoo and conditioner each wash. I apply coconut oil to my hair the night before each wash. My routine has always worked for me and I really don't know what has brought on this sudden change!
    I have tried Neutrogena's Tgel for the past 2 weeks to no avail. Last wash I applied coconut oil to my scalp the night before. I thought it had worked..until today (day 4 post-wash), and my scalp is snowing
    I've also tried a one part vinegar 3 parts water rinse after my showers but it didn't seem to help much.
    Do you think washing my hair more often will help or make the matter worse? Should I keep trying with the coconut oil scalp massage? Have any of you had this problem, and if so how many washes did it take before it settled down?
    Any help would be much appreciated!!

Default Re: Should I wash more frequently if I have dandruff?

I'll keep an eye on this thread since i'm interested to know as well...
    Not sure if i can help though i've had dandruff my entire life but it never really bothered me :/

Length
    27/57/???
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I know I've heard more frequent washing recommended. For me, it keeps me from itchiness although I don't usually get flakes unless I ignore the itchies.
    I've used shampoos routinely with no problem for long periods of time, then suddenly had to discontinue them. I don't know why that happens, but it does seem scalps can be happy, happy, happy.... then suddenly not happy. Is it possible it's connected to season change?

Length
    20/23/35
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Hmm maybe I'll try switching shampoos and see if it makes a difference.
    I'm in Australia, and my eczema does tend to flare up in the summer, which just began. So perhaps this is related and fingers crossed it passes!
    Any other tips anyone?

I remembered i used to wash twice a week and it helped with itchy scalp but i still got dandruff... I'm thinking if sulfate free shampoos would help? I think i also noticed something about exfoliating scalp which i never heard of before but i'll do a bit of research.

Length
    TERM/CHIN/SHLDR
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Monistat or Curad Silver solution might help if you have yeast growing on your head.

Does anyone know any substitutes for monistat (preferably homemade recipes, you know lemon, vinegar, oil, honey, essential oils, whatever else there is) as I can't get it here unless I go to the doctor and he prescribes it. :/
    Last edited by bunneh.; December 3rd, 2015 at 04:17 AM.

This sounds exactly like seborrheic dermatitis. I actually have this myself. It was triggered by an extremely stressful time. I found no help from tgel or nizoral, they are supposed to treat this, but they just don't work for me. I joined a FB group for it and apparently that is a common occurrence , for most people they don't work. For me, washing every other day has been the right balance. If I wait anymore than 2 days, the sebum (which contributes to the crusty scalp) builds up and makes it worse, including the itching. For me I have found that using a sulfate free shampoo has been my best option. Also I have found caprylic acid to be a huge benefit for this condition. If I take it daily, it really helps to combat the condition. Caprylic acid fights yeast overgrowth, which is what causes this condition.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by amortentia View Post
    I have white flakes and a crusty scalp that is extremely itchy. I have wavy waist-length hair.
    For about the past 6 months I have been washing my hair once a week, and it has been quite successful with my hair only getting really oily on day 6. I haven't ever had issues with dandruff before.
    Dandruff is tiny white flakes. What you're describing sounds more like seborrheic dermatitis because you have the itchiness that is so typical of it and "crusty" flakes. Dandruff doesn't crust. SD does.

I'd recommend you getting some Nizoral shampoo and washing a little sooner. Also, no oils or conditioner near your scalp as that will worsen the issue. Basically you need to cleanse a bit more and keep your scalp free of "goo".

But first order is to get rid of this situation now, and that can only be done IMMHO with an anti-fungal shampoo. It doesn't have to be Nizoral, but that is what works best for me.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    32/40/?
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Just an idle thought, when I get a yeast infection from antibiotics I drink sweet acidophilus milk and that fixes me right up.
    Lady Nephelai, Storm-Breaker of the Skies in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!