Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For people who'd like to look younger: in which haircolor do you feel you look the yo

Default For people who'd like to look younger: in which haircolor do you feel you look the yo

...ungest? Really this thread is only for people mentioned in title, so if possible I hope this goal will not be harshly doomed... 😉

I don't understand this, but I absolutely felt last fall, that I'll look younger if I dye my hair dark reddish brown. Because for many people this is the colour of youth. You see old pictures of some famous people who now have grey hair, and in their youth they had beautiful faces surrounded by dark hair, if you compare it to grey hair. (My hair would be at least half-white now if I didn't dye it -I went grey pretty young -I know silvers look good on many people but with me I only feel they age me decades.) I was so sick about my bleached-orangish hair that time and thought it looks disgusting. I thought blonde hair looks only faded and washed-away on me.

But now, when i have dark brown hair, I think my lighter haircolour in those old photos (from last fall and summer) looks so much softer and younger. Fun and playful. My now dark hair looks so gloomy, serious and dull instead now. I look like a witch. How can it change so much how I experience different haircolours on me??... Now I'm convinced I want strawberry warm blonde tones in my hair. (I also saw some awesome pictures of that hair shade here...)

In which haircolour do you feel best and/or youngest? Do you like to change your hair colour often, so do you get easily bored with a new colour?
    Last edited by Priska; April 8th, 2023 at 03:48 AM.

Default Re: For people who'd like to look younger: in which haircolor do you feel you look th

Or does this maybe change during the seasons?.. maybe I long for lighter hair because it's spring? Do you take lighter highlights to your hair towards summer?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: For people who'd like to look younger: in which haircolor do you feel you look th

I don't think dark hair means a "younger" appearance. I think you either have a young appearance or you don't, and hair has 0 to do with it. I think the color of your hair matters even less, but that is all only my opinion, of course. I don't think you need to worry about it so much, though.

The *absolute best* thing to do for your appearance is to keep your hair your natural shade, the shade will compliment your skin tone the best. I am not for nature, or "natural" stuff, but I firmly believe that the hair that God gives you is the best.

This, honestly, all sounds like "magazine talk". I call Not on you, OP, to be fair.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Colour analysis might give you the answer for your own hair colour Priska. For example, orangey reds suit warm toned skin and burgundy reds might be better for cool tones.

I always had my hair quite dark, but I’ve grown out my natural colour now and it’s lighter than I remembered, or maybe it faded as I got older.

When I went for colour analysis I was told that dark, warm colours suit me best, but that as I got older slightly lighter colours might be better. It’s to do with the level of contrast between your skin, eyes and hair.

I feel like brighter colors would make me look younger. Also warmer colors, because I'm a warm so cool colors aren't going to look good on me, probably will make me look washed-out and thus will probably make me look older.

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    The *absolute best* thing to do for your appearance is to keep your hair your natural shade, the shade will compliment your skin tone the best. I am not for nature, or "natural" stuff, but I firmly believe that the hair that God gives you is the best.
    Sometimes. As a kid, I was a warm golden blond. Now my hair is cool ashy dark brown. Since my (warm) coloring hasn't changed, are both of these opposite extremes supposed to suit me? (Hint: my current color does not.)
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    I feel like brighter colors would make me look younger. Also warmer colors, because I'm a warm so cool colors aren't going to look good on me, probably will make me look washed-out and thus will probably make me look older.

Sometimes. As a kid, I was a warm golden blond. Now my hair is cool ashy dark brown. Since my (warm) coloring hasn't changed, are both of these opposite extremes supposed to suit me? (Hint: my current color does not.)
    You don't stay hardly the same from when you were a young child. Hormones. Puberty. It all matters.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I think what hair color looks best/freshest/youngest is going to vary from person to person, depending on skin color, eye color, contrast, etc. However, in general, skin color fades with age and lighter colors are going to work best. I remember reading that you can't go wrong opting for a hair color very similar to what you had as a toddler. However, dark colors are likely to call attention to all the shadows and wrinkles on your face and neck.

For myself, I like my natural silvery-blonde color with coppery lowlights. However, I also enjoy putting fantasy colors in from time to time, then letting them fade away.

You don't stay hardly the same from when you were a young child. Hormones. Puberty. It all matters.
    I'm still a warm. My eye color hasn't changed. My skin tone hasn't changed. My hair color doesn't complement my fat butt or my period, which are most of what I got from puberty. I look washed-out in my current color. My mom spent a lot of time telling me I should dye my hair blonde again-- what she really meant was that I should go back to a warmer (and possibky lighter) color. That's much of what the henna is for, to warm up the ashiness. I look much more "alive" with a warm hair color. I inherited my coloring from my dad, but unfortunately my hair color from my mom's side of the family (the tendency for hair to start out blonde and get dark)-- but most of them are in the "cool" family as far as coloring goes.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    APL/MBL/WL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I've got a warm complexion as well. I didn't know this until someone told me in a pre-employment program. The only colors that wash me out are really dark (I dyed my hair black when I was about 14, but it was only a semi-permanent color than eventually washed out. I was trying to emulate Maria Roberts from One Life to Live) or really light, like when I dyed my hair blonde in Grade 11 (which is why I won't go gray/white if it ever happens, since I don't think these colors will suit me either. I'll probably stick with the color I currently have, since golden brown is considered a warm color).

All the other colors (whether natural or dyed) were warm colors, so they probably didn't look that bad. I think the chestnut brown color I had for my senior year (check my intro thread, since I posted a picture) really made my blue eyes pop, so perhaps I should try this color again if I ever go gray/white. Maybe I'll try a more natural dye (like Henna, for example), since I've been doing a little research online, and they say you should stick with natural dyes after going through chemo (though it won't be right after, since it's been a few years, and I'm still not gray, but it's something to think about, since the less chemicals you're exposed to, the better).

My youngest cousin dyes her hair dark brown (I think her natural color is light brown), so I guess it kind of runs in the family. She has a three year old daughter named Zoey, whose quite blonde (which will probably turn dark as she gets older, since her father is dark haired), so it will be interesting to see if she experiments with her hair color when she reaches puberty (I'll be in my 60's by then, and I wouldn't be surprised if I still don't have any grays).

I don't think dark hair means a "younger" appearance. I think you either have a young appearance or you don't, and hair has 0 to do with it. I think the color of your hair matters even less, but that is all only my opinion, of course. I don't think you need to worry about it so much, though.

This, honestly, all sounds like "magazine talk". I call Not on you, OP, to be fair.
    Yes I think so too now, that there's no general youth color for hair. This is one of the great mysteries of life, that i have been trying to solve because i'm a scientist-minded person 😂, that why some people look so good with blonde hair and some people look much better with dark hair... I think i have been trying to find answers but have not succeeded yet...But my newest love is red hair... red is beautiful everywhere and suits everybody.. 😁