Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Handling Fee" for Long Hair Trims

Length
    APL/WL/TBD
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Angry "Handling Fee" for Long Hair Trims

Okay, so this is really getting under my skin. Has anyone else been charged a "handling fee" for having what the hair stylist's world is super long hair (BSL+)?

What triggered me to post this are two things:

1) The fact that I was charged a $40 "handling fee" during my last(and final) trim in a hair salon in December of 2015. I went in for what I thought was a $29 trim and walked out having to pay $69 plus a tip. Here's the link to the salon I went to last: link
    *According to length of hair prices may vary also flat iron or curling iron additional with service

Like...WHAT

2) Someone who is a hair stylist on my facebook feed just posted a video of a woman with Floor+ length hair and commented "they are getting charged extra lol"
    This actually seriously ticked me off and I rebutted this comment with how "handling fees" are a bunch of

I suppose I'm just wondering who else has been subjected to this ridiculous idea. Would you still go in for trims if this happened to you?

Your mind is a garden, your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers, or you can grow weeds.
    Lady Scarlette, Traveler of the Road to Dawn in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    13/36/45
    Type
    1a/1b/F/iii

Default Re: "Handling Fee" for Long Hair Trims

I've never seen it, but it's just a bad idea to go to a nicer salon for a trim. The chances that you'll be respected are so much lower.

WHY did you tip on such an obvious up charge???
    My growing thread on thin hair - Cut: Sept/Oct '16 - ~25" - 30" MBL - 32" WL - 34" Hips - 37” TBL | Thickness @pony: 2.5" 2/17 - 3” 4/18” - 4.13” 3/18 Thickness @BSL: <.75" 3/17 - 7/8” 4/18 - 1.5” 3/18

Length
    Pixie/APL/???
    Type
    2c/3a/C/iii

I was once charged a "handling fee" due to the thickness for my hair. I hate salons. That's one reason I don't bother going anymore.
    Pix~Bob~CBL~Shoulder~APL~BSL~MBL~Waist~Hip~TBL~CL...We'll see
    WO/SO due to scalp hating EVERYTHING! Slowly regrowing from a massive shed and trimming often to keep the ends healthy.

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

That is the stupidest thing I've heard of and no, I would never go to a salon that charged a handling fee. In my eyes, its a form of discrimination. Anther reason I'll stick with a small local salon.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

In my little town, there is a salon that charges €5 extra for "long" hair (*).

(*) longer than shoulder!

Can you imagine?

Of course they don't have many clients with hair longer than that, and they've never been a "famous" salon either. There's a barber shop in the same street and another salon - and they don't charge extra. At least, they don't advertise it.

It's ridiculous.

I mean, I can imagine you having to take out more time depending on the length, but... a haircut is a haircut.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Chin/TBL/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

That's outrageous, charging a "handling fee" for long hair. And the salon didn't tell about the fee when you walked in, right?

Length
    APL/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

I had a salon charge a handling fee once. I was barley APL. I was like ??? Long ??? My hair isn't long.

I haven't ever gone back so there's that. I think it's just a way for them to make extra money.

Length
    waist/clsc/???
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

It does make sense for them to charge extra for a perm or color, since longer or thicker hair really does take longer and uses more product, but for a haircut?
    Lady Ilium, Spellweaver and Technomancer in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    1c/2a,M,ii. Maintaining at classic for now.

Surely handling hair is the essence of hairdressing. What a scam.

Length
    TWA/APL/Waist
    Type
    4b/M/ii

This as been going on for years. Back in the days of getting curly perms, there was an extra fee charged to roll my hair because she had to twist my hair around the rod to get my long hair to fit. My mother was furious at having to pay $80 (and this was back in the 80s, y'all!), but did it anyways because she preferred my hair that way. I am more understanding of braiders get that much since it takes soooo long.
    No shampoo
    No conditioner
    APL to BSL come grow with me!