PDA

View Full Version : Thin/Fine Hair Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

UP Lisa
October 20th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I would say that you just have a problem with something in the Kiwi Lime Squeeze. It is a stronger cleanser than other conditioners.

Hey guys. So I tried the VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze for 2 days, CO wash, really scrub into scalp and rinse very thoroughly. By the middle of the 2nd day, my scalp was on FIRE with itching. I took a shower, shampooed, used Suave Coconut conditioner, did a little honey leave in and ACV quick rinse. My scalp feels completely normal again.
Does this mean CO is not for me or have you guys had bad experiences with the V05 K.L.Squeeze?
BTW, using the honey and ACV makes my hair soooo soft and shiny. Almost too silky! Haha, if there is such a thing.

cmg
October 20th, 2011, 05:33 PM
FrozenBritannia:
Everyone is different here. I easily get deposits from cones, I also can detect Amodimeticone pretty soon for example. I think its the fine hair. On a coarser strand noone would notice it. I hope you find some conditioner that works for you, if you at all need one.

LittleB:
This could happen for any number of reasons. You might be allergic to something in this particular brand. On the other hand, itching is often a sign that the sebum production is turned on. Perhaps you should go easy on the rubbing. I dont rub much at all and I still feel clean afterwards.

MissManda:
The tripple fructis has no cones, the L'oreal I mentioned has Amodimethicone. Amodimeticone is considered to be less negative than others, but this borders to a myth. The stuff is made dispersible in the conditioner, but on the hair it works just like any other -cone. It stiffens as it dryes and coats the hair. But I think it is less troublesome than other -cones. I dont need to clarify as often as I would have to with other -cones.

UP Lisa
October 21st, 2011, 06:05 AM
Amodimethicone is a water-soluble cone.

CarpeDM
October 21st, 2011, 06:37 AM
Fellow T&F's I've got a problem with updos and I need your help....It seems like everything I put in my hair slips out. Amish pins slide out, hair sticks slide out, barrettes slide off...I'm not sure what to do anymore?? Does anyone have any tricks, hints or suggestions on how to get your thin and/or fine hair to just stay put!??

UP Lisa
October 21st, 2011, 07:30 AM
Octopus Clips are great. Ficcares are great, if you can afford them.

Fellow T&F's I've got a problem with updos and I need your help....It seems like everything I put in my hair slips out. Amish pins slide out, hair sticks slide out, barrettes slide off...I'm not sure what to do anymore?? Does anyone have any tricks, hints or suggestions on how to get your thin and/or fine hair to just stay put!??

FrozenBritannia
October 21st, 2011, 08:51 AM

Stretching washes.. I try to only wash my hair on Sunday and wednesday (unless something gross happens to it) and I find that on monday, tuesday, thursday, friday and saturday My hair will actually stay in it's pins. (mostly. still gets that "romantic" look to it but not "dishevelled" ) Sunday and wednesday are still total losses and ponytail tails though.

I did buy some spin pins at walmart yesterday though, (mini-spins) and they actually did hold my hair (unexpected wash yesterday) so that was impressive. I had to use two. Three would have been better but my bun isn't big enough to get three in.

CarpeDM
October 21st, 2011, 08:52 AM
Octopus Clips are great. Ficcares are great, if you can afford them.

The clips fall out too :( and I have tried the Ficcares but boy did they pull and hurt my head (not a Ficcare fan myself).

CarpeDM
October 21st, 2011, 08:55 AM
Stretching washes.. I try to only wash my hair on Sunday and wednesday (unless something gross happens to it) and I find that on monday, tuesday, thursday, friday and saturday My hair will actually stay in it's pins. (mostly. still gets that "romantic" look to it but not "dishevelled" ) Sunday and wednesday are still total losses and ponytail tails though.

I did buy some spin pins at walmart yesterday though, (mini-spins) and they actually did hold my hair (unexpected wash yesterday) so that was impressive. I had to use two. Three would have been better but my bun isn't big enough to get three in.

My scalp hair gets oily after a few hours of washing, it would be impossible for me to stretch a wash, I have to wash once a day or I look like a bald man with a comb over. I tried the spin pins before and they didn't stay in. Maybe I have super power slippery hair, nothing seems to keep it in place, GAH!

DoubleCrowned
October 21st, 2011, 09:09 AM

Hello, Carpe!
I recently started using ordinary hair pins rather than bobby pins, and they are working well. Here is my technique:
As you hold it to put it in, squeeze the hairpin gently, so that the space between the ends is narrowed a little.
Stab straight in at 90º to your head until you feel the ends on your scalp.
Allowing it to grab some of the hair next to the scalp, turn the pin the direction you want it to go, start to push in the new direction.
Relax your grip on the pin so that the ends are free to spread apart as you continue pushing the pin into position.
As you are pushing the pin into the do, weave it back down to catch more scalp hair if it does not feel secure.
Get a second hairpin and put it in the same way, getting it to cross or weave through the other pin(s).

UP Lisa
October 21st, 2011, 09:17 AM
Interesting that your hair is that slippery, since you list it as F/M.

My scalp hair gets oily after a few hours of washing, it would be impossible for me to stretch a wash, I have to wash once a day or I look like a bald man with a comb over. I tried the spin pins before and they didn't stay in. Maybe I have super power slippery hair, nothing seems to keep it in place, GAH!

RainbowHawk
October 21st, 2011, 09:17 AM
I have to second spin pins. Most things slide out of my hair (unless I put *all* of my hair into them, and even then sometimes. . . :/) but someone on the curly thread recommended spin pins and I finally bought a set of minis. I think I'm in love. :)

CarpeDM
October 21st, 2011, 09:46 AM
Interesting that your hair is that slippery, since you list it as F/M.

I have a rather challenging hair combination which unfortunately there isn't a more accurate option for. I have both fine straight hair and thick wiry curly hairs, makes for lots of fun to manage LOL :)

CarpeDM
October 21st, 2011, 09:50 AM
Hello, Carpe!
I recently started using ordinary hair pins rather than bobby pins, and they are working well. Here is my technique:
As you hold it to put it in, squeeze the hairpin gently, so that the space between the ends is narrowed a little.
Stab straight in at 90º to your head until you feel the ends on your scalp.
Allowing it to grab some of the hair next to the scalp, turn the pin the direction you want it to go, start to push in the new direction.
Relax your grip on the pin so that the ends are free to spread apart as you continue pushing the pin into position.
As you are pushing the pin into the do, weave it back down to catch more scalp hair if it does not feel secure.
Get a second hairpin and put it in the same way, getting it to cross or weave through the other pin(s).

DC!! Where have you been? I've missed you :)
I will try this out, but what specific hair pins are you using?

CarpeDM
October 21st, 2011, 09:52 AM
I have to second spin pins. Most things slide out of my hair (unless I put *all* of my hair into them, and even then sometimes. . . :/) but someone on the curly thread recommended spin pins and I finally bought a set of minis. I think I'm in love. :)

Maybe it is the technique that I am missing. I hear so many people love these, but when I tried them they just fell flat...

cmg
October 21st, 2011, 12:49 PM
Spin pins :confused: Just googled that. Never heard of them before. How do you use them? Ar they just like a mere wire or is there some snap or trick or something?

uptosomeone
October 21st, 2011, 04:32 PM
Spin pins :confused: Just googled that. Never heard of them before. How do you use them? Ar they just like a mere wire or is there some snap or trick or something?

They're metal corkscrews that you literally screw into your bun. No trick besides that! They're amazing...I use one or two of the littlest ones and my bun is secure for an entire day!

KiwiBum
October 21st, 2011, 05:45 PM
This is kinda off topic, and I apologize if someone else already mentioned it, but do any of you other fine-haired chicks have a problem with wind making your hair oily/stringy? It's usually colder wind that I have the most problem with (warmer wind doesn't seem to have the same effect for some reason). I mean, my hair can look great but if I'm outside for more than a couple minutes on a breezy day my hair becomes a tangled stringy mess! Maybe it's the dryness in the air during colder months? It's extremely irritating.

FrozenBritannia
October 21st, 2011, 05:54 PM
This is kinda off topic, and I apologize if someone else already mentioned it, but do any of you other fine-haired chicks have a problem with wind making your hair oily/stringy? It's usually colder wind that I have the most problem with (warmer wind doesn't seem to have the same effect for some reason). I mean, my hair can look great but if I'm outside for more than a couple minutes on a breezy day my hair becomes a tangled stringy mess! Maybe it's the dryness in the air during colder months? It's extremely irritating.

It doesn't make my hair oily, but it does seem to suck the moisture out of it and make it stick together (and out in all directions). We get arctic wind where I am, it's very dry here especially in the winter. I remember being other places and loving the wind in my hair, but here, I hate it, it's so hard to detangle after!!

uptosomeone
October 21st, 2011, 07:29 PM
I definitely get the dreaded Stringies. It's so annoying, and is one of the reasons my hair is damaged...whenever it got bad I'd rrrrip the brush through it.

DoubleCrowned
October 21st, 2011, 08:58 PM
DC!! Where have you been? I've missed you :)
I will try this out, but what specific hair pins are you using?
Aww, thanks.
The hair pins I use have been kicking around with my bobby pins for eons, so I don't know the brand. They are thin, round wire bent in a U but the arms of it are splayed like a V. The arms are gently crimped midway into three little waves and the tips are smooth. They work well enough to hold a bun on the top of my head overnight.

DoubleCrowned
October 21st, 2011, 09:03 PM

Yes. For me, it seemed to be because the moving hair stimulates the scalp to produce extra oil. It doesn't get oily in the wind if I wear it up.

swords & roses
October 21st, 2011, 09:24 PM
CarpeDM, here's the hair pins I use. I call them U-pins. I have a feeling they might be the same ones DoubleCrowned uses: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Jumbo-Hair-Pins/STARTE2,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH Also with these, if you find they slip out, you can bend the ends of each pin further apart, then squeeze them together as you put them in your hair as DoubleCrowned mentioned. I've also found them to hold a bun better if my hair is braided first.

I found these online, too. Haven't tried them, but they seem like they'd work on the same concept as the U-pins in the previous link: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Magic-Grip-Hairpins/GOODHR1,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH

cmg, here's some spin-pins: http://www.sallybeauty.com/corkscrew-hair-pin/BETTYD18,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH

:)

WackyLisa
October 22nd, 2011, 04:03 AM

One of the few things that works for me is the two combs connected by elastic contraptions. Both Sunci and Goody make a version. The fancy beaded onces get caught in my hair but the plain ones work well. I admit to having to reposition the combs a few times a day but overall they work well.

I also like spin pins and the octopus clips with the silicon on the inside. Sometimes mini-claw clips will work but only on day 3 or more after washing my hair.

Braided updo's have a slightly better chance of holding on my hair fwiw.

arielágua
October 22nd, 2011, 04:50 AM
Your post made my day! Thank you! I've been feeling a bit down about the straightness of my hair lately and it makes me happy to see appreciation for straight, fine hair. :D

I never noticed how flat-ironed hair moved compared to naturally straight hair. Very interesting!

OH you made me blush, truly. :)
My sister flat iron her hair daily. She has fine 1b hair. She hates the little waves, so she "burns" her hair every other day. Ehehe
I noticed the movement it's quite different from a naturally straight hair. It's kinda dull, i don't know how to express it myself... :(
One of my college friend, has hair like yours ! Pin straight, iii, fine hair! And she dries it naturally (I often see her with wet hair in the morning eheh). The way it moves, it's so princess like! She has perfect hair, and doesn't do much to it. She eats a lot, though. Eheheh

Thank you too, cmg!

I think, maybe I'm wrong, that society tells us that only thick and full hair is beautiful. :(
I think we should start appreciating fine hair. It's also a God creation! It must have some beauty too, right? :/ I love it :)

Oh by the way! Can someone help me on this? I noticed that massaging my hair while washing it, makes hair loss worse. And I noticed when I wash it and softly shampoo it (no vigorous massage) the hair loss decreases. :(
Maybe just me? What about you, guys?

KiwiBum
October 22nd, 2011, 09:54 AM
Yes. For me, it seemed to be because the moving hair stimulates the scalp to produce extra oil. It doesn't get oily in the wind if I wear it up.

Ah HA! I'll have to keep that in mind. I almost never wear my hair up due to it being so fine, any flaw is shown very easily (hair lumps from not smoothing it enough, parts of my scalp peeking thru, etc).

CarpeDM
October 22nd, 2011, 10:22 AM
CarpeDM, here's the hair pins I use. I call them U-pins. I have a feeling they might be the same ones DoubleCrowned uses: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Jumbo-Hair-Pins/STARTE2,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH Also with these, if you find they slip out, you can bend the ends of each pin further apart, then squeeze them together as you put them in your hair as DoubleCrowned mentioned. I've also found them to hold a bun better if my hair is braided first.

I found these online, too. Haven't tried them, but they seem like they'd work on the same concept as the U-pins in the previous link: http://www.sallybeauty.com/Magic-Grip-Hairpins/GOODHR1,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH

cmg, here's some spin-pins: http://www.sallybeauty.com/corkscrew-hair-pin/BETTYD18,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH

These are the ones I have used before:

http://www.prayercoverings.com/catalog.php?item=212&catid=27&ret=catalog.php%3Fcategory%3D27

and

http://www.amazon.com/2-5-Brown-Hair-Pins-BH438/dp/B000GKYX9S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1319300513&sr=8-2

Do you think these would work if I bent them in?

RainbowHawk
October 22nd, 2011, 10:22 AM
They're metal corkscrews that you literally screw into your bun. No trick besides that! They're amazing...I use one or two of the littlest ones and my bun is secure for an entire day!

:nod: I twist my hair, make a bun from it, place one of the smallest spin pins at the intersection of bun & head, and twist clockwise. I tend to twist them in as tightly as I can, because I do get some slippage if I don't, and yesterday I had to tighten it a few times during the day but the bun only started to slide loose some 15 hours after I put it up. :) That's the longest I've managed to wear *any* kind of hair accessory without it sliding out entirely by a significant margin (including ponytails-- one would think that the curls would do something to hold things in place but no, it simply doesn't work that way :/). I have tried to use more than one spin pin, but I just don't have enough hair for it. Yet. ;)

SwordWomanRiona
October 22nd, 2011, 10:23 AM
Oh by the way! Can someone help me on this? I noticed that massaging my hair while washing it, makes hair loss worse. And I noticed when I wash it and softly shampoo it (no vigorous massage) the hair loss decreases. :(
Maybe just me? What about you, guys?

That's probably true...I shampoo my hair carefully too! I've noticed that my hair's condition has certainly improved since I began to take care of it properly (no 'vigorous anything' for my fine hair!).

rags
October 22nd, 2011, 02:15 PM
CarpeDM, I call my hair Houdini hair, because it escapes everything!! When it's at it's very slipperiest and I want to wear it up, it will come out of an elastic! The biggest thing that helps me is to dampen it slightly. Just slightly! I've got mine in a Dutch braid today - it would NOT stay in dry; damp, it's been in all day.

DoubleCrowned
October 22nd, 2011, 08:07 PM
Thanks Swords & roses. Those are the right kind of pins. I notice they say they are jumbo and 3" long. Mine are smaller and probably lighter. They appear more delicate that the ones pictured. I do have one large one, though, and it seems to stay in okay.

DoubleCrowned
October 22nd, 2011, 08:15 PM
Ah HA! I'll have to keep that in mind. I almost never wear my hair up due to it being so fine, any flaw is shown very easily (hair lumps from not smoothing it enough, parts of my scalp peeking thru, etc).
It isn't like I get to choose how I will wear it up. The hair decides what it is willing to do, demonstrating what lumps and holes it is unwilling to surrender for the day, and I humbly acquiesce.

DoubleCrowned
October 22nd, 2011, 08:22 PM

http://www.prayercoverings.com/catalog.php?item=212&catid=27&ret=catalog.php%3Fcategory%3D27

and

http://www.amazon.com/2-5-Brown-Hair-Pins-BH438/dp/B000GKYX9S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1319300513&sr=8-2

I'd try bending the first ones (the Amish ones) open into a V.

Neoma
October 22nd, 2011, 08:37 PM
It isn't like I get to choose how I will wear it up. The hair decides what it is willing to do, demonstrating what lumps and holes it is unwilling to surrender for the day, and I humbly acquiesce.I love this, DoubleCrowned. It is so true for me, as well. :flower:

cmg
October 22nd, 2011, 09:45 PM
It isn't like I get to choose how I will wear it up. The hair decides what it is willing to do, demonstrating what lumps and holes it is unwilling to surrender for the day, and I humbly acquiesce.
Exactly!

swords & roses
October 23rd, 2011, 04:41 AM
Originally Posted by CarpeDM

http://www.prayercoverings.com/catal...Fcategory%3D27

and

http://www.amazon.com/2-5-Brown-Hair...9300513&sr=8-2

I agree w/ DoubleCrowned. The first ones will probably work better if you open them up into a V, then pinch them together when you put them in. The second ones don't look like they'd have enough crimp to them to hold.

I notice they say they are jumbo and 3" long. Mine are smaller and probably lighter.

Yep, I've got the big ones! I tried smaller ones once, but they were so flimsy that I think my hair actually laughed at them! But I think I also got them from the dollar store or something. You tend to get what you pay for with hair pins. :)

cmg
October 23rd, 2011, 07:02 PM
I dont know if my hair gets stringyer from wind etc., but it would make sense in an evolutionary way. My theory: Colder climate - the hairy beasts need more protection. Greasy fur (to some extent) is more waterproof than dry, fluffy fur.

CarpeDM
October 24th, 2011, 05:52 AM
OK I will give it a go and see how it works....THANKS!

andreamuse
October 24th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I joined the LHC group pretty much JUST to join this thread, LOL. I can't tell you how much hope it gives me! I cut 12 inches off into a pixie cut last January because I had it in my mind that people with fine, thin hair cannot have long hair. And also I got uncomfortable with comments about how thin my ponytail could be or "wow, your hair is so thin!" (And I can never tell whether it's admiration or pity or disgust, but mostly I think it's surprise because my hair is nearly black and I think people think of nearly black hair as usually being very thick). And anyway, I was afraid that having wavy hair contributed to people maybe thinking that it looked stringy or unkempt (ah, I'd love to have either very curly or very straight hair -- not in love with the in between! :))

Anyway, I actually LOVED the pixie cut and it did suit me (I may go back to it again some time in my life), but I'm bored of it and want to try once again to grow my hair. Several times I have tried to make it to waist length and I get curtailed around BSL, either I get bored or someone convinces me I should cut it. Ideally I would love healthy, ethereal hair that is waist length or just above. I had that hair as a young teenager (I'm 41 now) and I'd love to have it again! My main problem is patience.

Libbylou
October 24th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Welcome andreamuse. I also had very long hair as a teen(although I am 15 years older than you). I wish I never would have cut it. Some hit me in the head with something hard if I ever think about layers again.
I have been trying solutions that work with hair similar to mine. Some work, some don't.

Lisa R
October 24th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Hi Anreamuse!

You don't know how encouraging it is to read someone else who has gone through the same thing! Been there, done that.

Actually just recently a friend of mine I hadn't seen in a year or so commented on my pony tail and said 'Wow, your hair is thin' (she wasn't being mean). Then she said that she has always wanted thin hair. I didn't get hurt by the comment though cause I know IT IS THIN! As I get older I am learning to love my thin hair more.

Happy hair growing!:)

haibane
October 25th, 2011, 04:33 AM
CarpeDM, I call my hair Houdini hair, because it escapes everything!! When it's at it's very slipperiest and I want to wear it up, it will come out of an elastic! The biggest thing that helps me is to dampen it slightly. Just slightly! I've got mine in a Dutch braid today - it would NOT stay in dry; damp, it's been in all day.
Yup, this is what I do too. Mist my hair just a little bit and updos actually stay up.

My favorite hair toys out of all of them are metal hair forks (and I really have tried *everything* amish pins, wooden forks, all kinds of hairsticks, flexi-8...) the professionally made from quattro etc look nicer, but bent knitting needles work just as well.

A couple of pics of bent knitting needles:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=315334#post315334
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=888489#post888489

haibane
October 25th, 2011, 04:35 AM
My hair just doesn't seem to like conditioner at all. Once in a while a DT seems to be okay though, but not every wash. It just weighs down my hair and makes it look odd. :(
Maybe it's because your hair is still relatively short? I mostly condition from shoulder-APL and below.

andreamuse
October 25th, 2011, 04:46 AM
libbylou -- thanks for the welcome! I'm just so happy that there are so many people with thin, fine hair that rock long hair.

Lisa -- Yes, exactly! And I always wanted thick hair so badly. I admit that once a few years ago, I got hair extensions just to make it look like my hair was way thicker than it was. One thing I noticed is that I would hate to have thick hair in the summer! :)

Also, I see that you are at BSL now from a pixie. How long did it take you? Did you trim and cut a lot along the way or did you just let it grow for awhile before you cut anything or did you not cut at all to get there and let the layers come with you? I guess I'm looking for ways to get through the growing out stage from a pixie, which I heard can be quite awkward! :)

Lisa R
October 25th, 2011, 05:14 AM
Hi andreamuse!

I have trimmed my hair along the way from pixie length to BSL. I had the pixie cut done in 2009 but kept it shortish till I decided to grow it longer starting Feb 2010. In Feb 2010 my hair was just above shoulder length. I let it grow for 9months without touching it then I had about an inch or two cut off. That good trim kept me going for another 5 months or so then I took about half an inch off myself. I have now just recently taken another 1 1/2 inches off so I'm just above BSL length again but the difference in how my hair looks and feels is amazing. It just seems thicker! I have a layer of hair on either side of my head which is about an inch or so from my bottom layer of hair. I am trimming every few months or so to get the layers even with the rest of my hair.

All in all it's taken about 18-19months to go from above shoulder to BSL. Probably if I had started actively growing at pixie it would take 2 years. I have 1/2 inch of growth each month.

I loved my pixie cut and it did suit me and I may go back to it sometime down the track but for now I'm done with short hair and having to style it. I'm loving having my hair longer.

If you aren't already, taking pictures of the back of your head will give you encouragment as you will see the difference in length. Even after just a couple of months. I measure my hair as well but it isn't as good as taking pics.

Happy hair growing:)

UP Lisa
October 25th, 2011, 07:28 AM
I will never understand why some people just have to make comments! I expect kids to say things with out thinking, but not adults!

FrozenBritannia
October 25th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Maybe it's because your hair is still relatively short? I mostly condition from shoulder-APL and below.

I didn't think of that. I'll keep that in mind, thanks!! :)

Inching Along
October 25th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Thank you all for this very long thread! I am sure I'll come back to it and read more pages. My hair was thicker (thought not really very thick, possibly lower ii) six or seven years ago, but I have lost so much from my autoimmune hypothyroidism and post-adoption stress in the last five years...I've been wanting to grow my hair long, at least to BSL, since about 2007, but I have only reached about 23.5 inches and cut it back multiple times because I was so discouraged with it. I'll add a picture here to show you what it looked like in April of this year--what a disaster! :o( I opted for a big chop.

http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq341/houseofhoff/InchbyInch_9-30-11_sm.jpg

Anyway, all this to say that I'm very encouraged by you all here and want to push past that 23.5 inch mark this time. I am treating my hair as nicely as possible and am researching here on LHC and elsewhere about natural treatments both for my hair and for my autoimmune issues. As far as the post-adoption stress, well, God is allowing is for His purposes. I am learning so much, and though it is emotional and very, very hard, I am joyful.

Happy growing, everyone!

CarpeDM
October 25th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Yup, this is what I do too. Mist my hair just a little bit and updos actually stay up.

My favorite hair toys out of all of them are metal hair forks (and I really have tried *everything* amish pins, wooden forks, all kinds of hairsticks, flexi-8...) the professionally made from quattro etc look nicer, but bent knitting needles work just as well.

A couple of pics of bent knitting needles:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=315334#post315334
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=888489#post888489

Thanks for attaching, I might just try this out and see if it works, I've always been curious...

UP Lisa
October 25th, 2011, 01:56 PM
I've never thought of that! How do you bend them?

Thanks for attaching, I might just try this out and see if it works, I've always been curious...

rags
October 25th, 2011, 02:29 PM
You bend them around a doorknob is the easiest way (put a cloth on the knob first to prevent scratches)

UP Lisa
October 26th, 2011, 05:48 AM
Do they actually stay in the hair? it seems like they would be too smooth.

You bend them around a doorknob is the easiest way (put a cloth on the knob first to prevent scratches)

andreamuse
October 26th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Thanks, Lisa! It's nice to have a semi time line. I'd never in my life had a pixie cut before this past year, so I have no idea how long it will take to grow out of it. One thing that is cool is getting to start taking care of my hair while it is very short so hopefully when my hair is longer it will be very healthy!

So right now I am washing CO using Suave ocean breeze conditioner. I am not blow drying. Luckily, my hair being very fine, dries very fast when it's this short. I am not combing until my hair is dry.

Happy growing to you, too!

UP Lisa
October 26th, 2011, 06:02 AM
I grew out from a Pixie. Took me about 5 years to reach Waist with regular trims. I am short, so Waist is about 29 inches.

FrozenBritannia
October 26th, 2011, 08:14 AM
I was at pixie length in march. collarbone now. I'm short though :)

rags
October 26th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Do they actually stay in the hair? it seems like they would be too smooth.

They will semi-stay in mine when it's past BSL (right now it's short - between shoulder and APL). They still slip out for me though I know some other fineys have been able to use them. I use Quattros, and they hold like a rock.

UP Lisa
October 26th, 2011, 08:40 AM
I don't know what Quattros are.

quote=rags;1837702]They will semi-stay in mine when it's past BSL (right now it's short - between shoulder and APL). They still slip out for me though I know some other fineys have been able to use them. I use Quattros, and they hold like a rock.[/quote]

CarpeDM
October 26th, 2011, 08:44 AM
They will semi-stay in mine when it's past BSL (right now it's short - between shoulder and APL). They still slip out for me though I know some other fineys have been able to use them. I use Quattros, and they hold like a rock.

I have two pairs of quattro sticks, one pair being the serpentines. The serpentines hold better but they still slip out within an hour. Do you find you have to do a really tight updo to get sticks to stay? I am wondering if that could be my problem, that I am just not doing buns tight enough??

For Lisa, here is a quattro link:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/quattro?ref=seller_info

UP Lisa
October 26th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Thank you. Rather expensive, aren't they?

I have two pairs of quattro sticks, one pair being the serpentines. The serpentines hold better but they still slip out within an hour. Do you find you have to do a really tight updo to get sticks to stay? I am wondering if that could be my problem, that I am just not doing buns tight enough??

crazy_margaret
October 26th, 2011, 09:17 AM
I bent two knitting needles last night and they held my sleep bun fabulously :)

rags
October 26th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Yes, Quattros are pretty expensive. I usually just use his basic sticks, which aren't horribly bad. But I only use them when I want metal for whatever reason - usually I'm using Ketylos or, MUCH more often, forks.

CarpeDM, when my hair is above lower back length, yes I need to twist it fairly tightly to get it to stay. I also mist it - that helps more than anything. And I have to use two sticks usually, except in a lazy wrap.

haibane
October 26th, 2011, 02:25 PM

Bent knitting needles or Quattro U forks hold much better for me than just sticks. I've never had one slip out (the bun might unravel, but the forks never slide out the way sticks sometimes do.)
I put the fork in diagonally from the top, so I don't know how it would slip out really, gravity just pulls it harder into the bun. I usually do lazy wrap buns.

I bent a cheap knitting needle to try it out and make sure it worked in my hair before I forked out for proper Quattro forks. (pardon the pun. :p )

andreamuse
October 27th, 2011, 05:51 AM
I was at pixie length in march. collarbone now. I'm short though :)

yes, I'm short, too, so I don't think it will take as long for me to reach waist-length as it would a taller person! But I know it will be a long journey that I HOPE I can stay committed to! :)

I get so mad when I think about what happened. I had originally wanted to grow my hair out starting in 2007. If I had been committed, my hair would probably be waist-length or close to it by now. *grumps* Instead, I had a very traumatic experience that sent me into a tailspin about a year later, I cut off my hair multiple times, and then it grew again. And then I cut off 12 inches last January. Then again, those 12 inches were probably pretty damaged with dye jobs and I had used hair extensions (clip ins) in them and blow drying and hot ironing, etc.! So it's better to start out with virgin hair, I guess!

CarpeDM
October 27th, 2011, 06:13 AM
yes, I'm short, too, so I don't think it will take as long for me to reach waist-length as it would a taller person! But I know it will be a long journey that I HOPE I can stay committed to! :)

I get so mad when I think about what happened. I had originally wanted to grow my hair out starting in 2007. If I had been committed, my hair would probably be waist-length or close to it by now. *grumps* Instead, I had a very traumatic experience that sent me into a tailspin about a year later, I cut off my hair multiple times, and then it grew again. And then I cut off 12 inches last January. Then again, those 12 inches were probably pretty damaged with dye jobs and I had used hair extensions (clip ins) in them and blow drying and hot ironing, etc.! So it's better to start out with virgin hair, I guess!

I've had virgin hair for a while now and I love it (minus the ever increasing greys). I used to color and perm my hair for years and it damaged my hair sooo much. After years of growing out the damage I vowed never to perm or color it anymore. Ever since, my hair has been so much healthier and happier, virgin hair is so much better!

uptosomeone
October 27th, 2011, 12:21 PM
The tags on this thread are making me laugh. Infinitesimal fuzz!? Whoever came up with that is wonderful.:p

Lapin
October 27th, 2011, 12:51 PM
well i had a neat discovery today, and then a terrible discovery today.
(both of which occured while posting to the "show your pony" thread.)

first: i'm not really thin haired - my pony tail is a good 3.5". I measured wrong before I guess. This time I used a string, so I think it's a pretty accurate result.

second: holy cow, where is all the hair on the top right of my head?!?! look at this:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6233/6286336901_51f0b858af_z.jpg

That is... some pretty thin hair right there.:-(
I can only guess it's because I've had some pretty bad allergy issues lately... but as a result of that I've had a *ton* of lab work done and aside from a vitamin d deficiency, all functions are normal.

Maybe it will fill in? This is kind of depressing, actually.

MsBubbles
October 27th, 2011, 01:48 PM
The tags on this thread are making me laugh. Infinitesimal fuzz!? Whoever came up with that is wonderful.:p

OK I had to go read. "Microscopic Fluff"! LMAO!

FrozenBritannia
October 27th, 2011, 02:01 PM

Let's hope so! This time last year I had BSL ... but then it fell out.:justy: But's its all good now, and it is much healthier so I guess in the long run...

CarpeDM
October 27th, 2011, 02:04 PM

first: i'm not really thin haired - my pony tail is a good 3.5". I measured wrong before I guess. This time I used a string, so I think it's a pretty accurate result.

second: holy cow, where is all the hair on the top right of my head?!?! look at this:

I can only guess it's because I've had some pretty bad allergy issues lately... but as a result of that I've had a *ton* of lab work done and aside from a vitamin d deficiency, all functions are normal.

I started a scalp cleavage thread not long ago:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=66607

Scalp cleavage has been the bain of my existence, but don't feel bad you aren't alone, plenty of us have it so don't be depressed!

giuditta
October 28th, 2011, 07:45 AM
I started a scalp cleavage thread not long ago:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=66607

Scalp cleavage has been the bain of my existence, but don't feel bad you aren't alone, plenty of us have it so don't be depressed!

I have the same, I have to be careful how to brush my hair to avoid these bold spots.
I love your term scalp cleavage, makes it sound less ugly :D

SlightlySoprano
October 28th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Do any of you finies have any luck with flexi8s? I ordered two today and i'm SO EXCITED TO GET THEM but I'm really worried I'll be disappointed and they'll slide out of my hair/bee too large.:confused:

Babyfine
October 28th, 2011, 07:57 AM

I get that all the time if I don't wash my hair. I have to brush my hair out to avoid those. I'm looking into dry shampoo on my no-wash days so I can stretch my washes. so you're not the only one. Your pony doesn't look thin at all(you should see mine) and I'm wondering if scalp cleavage is more normal than we think.

UP Lisa
October 28th, 2011, 08:11 AM
I think they will work fine for you if you have the right size. I bought a couple, and keep forgetting to use them.

Do any of you finies have any luck with flexi8s? I ordered two today and i'm SO EXCITED TO GET THEM but I'm really worried I'll be disappointed and they'll slide out of my hair/bee too large.:confused:

UP Lisa
October 28th, 2011, 08:12 AM
To me it just looks like you haven't combed through it well enough I think most of us would get that if we didn't.

CarpeDM
October 28th, 2011, 08:43 AM
To me it just looks like you haven't combed through it well enough I think most of us would get that if we didn't.

I totally agree! If I don't do a good boar bristle brush through and strategically maneuver scalp hair placement that is what I look like too!

Inching Along
October 28th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I got a mini and an extra small recently. The extra small holds my hair in a ponytail when it's curly, and the mini will hold a half-up. Last night, I did a sort of tails-up thing, and the extra small held that, hooray! I think I love my Flexis. :) What sizes did you get?

Inching Along
October 28th, 2011, 10:40 AM
OK, that was to answer Slightly Soprano's question...

Slightly Soprano said:
"Do any of you finies have any luck with flexi8s? I ordered two today and i'm SO EXCITED TO GET THEM but I'm really worried I'll be disappointed and they'll slide out of my hair/bee too large."

Lapin
October 28th, 2011, 10:47 AM
"Scalp Cleveage" - lol! I like that.

You guys are all correct - this was day three without washing (the longest I can possibly stretch without feeling too greasy at work), and my hair had all been hidden in a peacock twist until right before I put it in a pony for that picture.

My hair is definitely a lot thinner on the right side than the left but after aggressive reading of the "Scalp Cleavage" thread, it seems pretty normal for people to have a thicker/thinner area.

Relatedly, my eyebrows are noticeably fuller and longer above my right eye. When I was a kid I gave myself a "haircut" and for whatever reason decided to trim my right eyelashes as well. They grew back super fast and have been far lusher than the other side ever since. I heard once that sometimes parents will intentionally cut their child's eyelashes back to encourage thicker re-growth. Too bad that doesn't work on the head!

Inching Along
October 28th, 2011, 11:28 AM
I am noticing due to a lot of hair loss over the last five years (health issues and stress) that the area on the right side of my crown at the end of my part is thinner and I have to clip my hair in that area while it dries to get my hair to lay correctly and not show how thin my hair is in that area. I like the "scalp cleavage" term, LOL! I think I have some sort of cowlick in that area; maybe that's my whorl where my hair grows in in different directions. Because it really bugs me, I will continue to clip it together while it dries.

Lapin, how interesting about your eyelashes!

Lapin
October 28th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Yeah... when I grew up and put two and two together, I debated trimming the left side to see if the same regrowth would happen. I never worked up the nerve though...

heidihug
October 28th, 2011, 02:28 PM
I just ordered two mega-size Flexi-8's. Strictly for wearing over the top of my buns, both cinnabuns and braided buns. I had to get the biggest size because of my length, not the thickness, of my hair, obviously! I will report back when I get them as to how effectively they hold.

Inching Along
October 28th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Yeah... when I grew up and put two and two together, I debated trimming the left side to see if the same regrowth would happen. I never worked up the nerve though...

I don't think I could have worked up the nerve, either!

Inching Along
October 28th, 2011, 02:49 PM
I just ordered two mega-size Flexi-8's. Strictly for wearing over the top of my buns, both cinnabuns and braided buns. I had to get the biggest size because of my length, not the thickness, of my hair, obviously! I will report back when I get them as to how effectively they hold.

Would love to hear (and see!) how they work for you, Heidihug! Your hair is very long, so mega sounds right. :)

SlightlySoprano
October 29th, 2011, 12:13 PM
I got a mini and an extra small recently. The extra small holds my hair in a ponytail when it's curly, and the mini will hold a half-up. Last night, I did a sort of tails-up thing, and the extra small held that, hooray! I think I love my Flexis. :) What sizes did you get?

Same as you! Yay! I hope they hold! Thanks for the advice! (and I realize I spelled be with two e's in my original post. whoops! :p)

Inching Along
October 29th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Same as you! Yay! I hope they hold! Thanks for the advice! (and I realize I spelled be with two e's in my original post. whoops! :p)

Great! I look forward to hearing how they work for you. Your hair is longer than mine, so I would imagine that the extra small might be a little too small for putting all your hair up, but you never know! Have fun playing with them! :)

headtrip_honey
November 3rd, 2011, 09:17 AM
I am such a loon sometimes.

My hair has felt thinner lately, and I've avoided measuring my ponytail because of this. However, I know I have a lot of regrowth (a really annoying patch right in my bangs is proof of this - it's an inch an a half long and curly, so it never lays well with the rest of my bangs). Also, my shedding has gone way down and stabilized. I think it's what it was pre-shed now.

Anyway, last night I sucked it up...and it's the same. 2.75".

Why do I beat myself up like this??

I'm hoping as the regrowth gets longer I'll gain some thickness. If I can get 3" I'll be so happy.

UP Lisa
November 3rd, 2011, 09:49 AM
Well, I'm obsessing over it because I know I used to be 3". Now I'm at 2.5".

My hair has felt thinner lately, and I've avoided measuring my ponytail because of this. However, I know I have a lot of regrowth (a really annoying patch right in my bangs is proof of this - it's an inch an a half long and curly, so it never lays well with the rest of my bangs). Also, my shedding has gone way down and stabilized. I think it's what it was pre-shed now.

I'm hoping as the regrowth gets longer I'll gain some thickness. If I can get 3" I'll be so happy.

headtrip_honey
November 3rd, 2011, 10:08 AM

I feel you. I don't know what I used to be (as I never measured my ponytail before my big shed last year), but I'd guess I was probably around a 3-3.25".

But my point is my circumference has stayed the same since I joined LHC. So it hasn't gone down.

I'm just crazy and paranoid, heh.

schweedie
November 3rd, 2011, 10:39 AM
I'm exactly the same; when I first joined here I was at 3", and now I'm at 2.5". (I was last time I checked, anyway - it's been a while and I'm too chicken to do it again.) I'm trying to tell myself that the reason is that my hair is more healthy now, and thus more compact instead of porous and bushy. Sometimes I'm successful, other times I panic and think my hair is thinning horribly.

UP Lisa
November 3rd, 2011, 11:38 AM
Well, there are so many possible reasons that my hair is thinner. I'm older, there are medications that I take that can cause hair loss, I've had low thyroid, poor diet, stress.....So hard to know what is going on. Trying to improve my diet, at least.

girlcat36
November 4th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I attempted a braided bun today.
It was horrible.
My hair is nearly waistlength but I had the teeniest braided bun ever! My hair will have to be knee length to make a decent braided bun.
***sigh***
I guess there's reason I don't do many updos; my hair fluffs up a bit when down giving the illusion of some thickness.

SlightlySoprano
November 4th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Yeah my current thickness is 1.8". I truly hope it will increase someday or I'll just have to shave my head!

melissa5locks
November 4th, 2011, 08:46 PM
I get my hair highlighted several times a year so I really need something that is going to make my hair smooth and it not be dried out anymore. Shielo Hydrate conditioner has really helped in so many ways. For one I love the smell it is not strong but also not to weak it is the right amount of a smell. Another thing the Shielo Hydrate shampoo itself is not really thick it has a silky smooth feel to it. It lathers up really really well and cleans so well.

Another thing is that you don't have to keep rinsing your hair to get all of the shampoo it comes out very well. Also I have to little kids and one thing is really nice about this is that it is mild enough on the skin that you can use it to wash your little ones hair so that is a plus for me.

swords & roses
November 4th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Girlcat, I have the same issue of small-bun syndrome, though my hair is only just past BSL. I've found ways to make buns seem more beefy though, like doing sock buns, or braiding a scarf into my hair before making a braided bun. My profile pic shows my hair in a braided chinese bun, with a scarf braided in to make the bun bigger (and to add length).

FrozenBritannia
November 4th, 2011, 08:53 PM
At this point, I'm just glad it's long enough to even have a bun, small and microscopic as it is. :)

andreamuse
November 4th, 2011, 09:00 PM
My hair is too short right now to even measure! It may be another year before I can measure my hair in a pony tail! (I'll be growing out pixie layers forever, I think!) I've always assumed I'm a "i" because everyone has always said my hair is thin, but it's also very fine so I wonder if that could make my hair SEEM thinner than it is...Well, I won't know for sure until I can measure it...

rags
November 6th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Girlcat, I love your new siggy! Your hair is getting so long!

I too have the "teeny bun syndorme". :p When I get enough length I use forks and make lazy wraps and do them loosely, so as to make it appear larger. Oh, well. At least I'll probably never outgrow my toys!

Annalouise
November 6th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Hi, I was thinking of posting this question in the mane forum but I'll try it here first and see if anyone knows...:)

Is there a way to thicken the hair by cutting off the taper?

What I mean is, if I continually cut off the taper, or the thin ends of my hair, does this help keep it from thinning out?

My hair was almost to my waist and it got really thin past bsl.

Anyways, I cut my hair to shoulder length this summer. Now I'm going to try growing my hair out again to see if I can keep it thicker.

What do you think? Is it possible?

If I have 2" at the neck, in case anyone is wondering.

haibane
November 6th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Hi, I was thinking of posting this question in the mane forum but I'll try it here first and see if anyone knows...:)

What I mean is, if I continually cut off the taper, or the thin ends of my hair, does this help keep it from thinning out?
It might, but it depends on your hair. If you have the kind of hair where the ends get splits that travel upwards, or the ends get really tangly when they get old regular trims can be very helpful.

But finding moisturizing and protective routines that helps prevent the hair from splitting and breaking in the first place can be just as important in getting thickness to move down.

But if you enjoy your hair with blunt cut ends, I'd say just trim your hair regularly just enough to keep it as blunt as you like it, and then wait and see how long it gets that way.

Here's a really good article on regular trimming and preventing damage:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79

Edit: and here's another great article on preventing damage:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=8

holothuroidea
November 6th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I am here to join the club. My hair is too short now to get a circumference but it was about 2.5in when I cut it off. That was a couple years ago. However, the taper of my hair made my hemline basically invisible. It just kind of faded into nothingness. I never had split ends, my hair would just kind of break off instead of splitting. I don't know if that's good or bad.

My hair is also very fine, and individual strands are much finer at the ends then they are at the roots. Is this normal?

Also, speaking of teeny buns... When my hair was at it's longest (BSL) I wore a bun that was about the size of a golf ball. People wondered at the smallness of my bun, "That is the smallest bun I've ever seen!" They'd say.

Annalouise
November 6th, 2011, 12:21 PM
It might, but it depends on your hair. If you have the kind of hair where the ends get splits that travel upwards, or the ends get really tangly when they get old regular trims can be very helpful.

But finding moisturizing and protective routines that helps prevent the hair from splitting and breaking in the first place can be just as important in getting thickness to move down.

But if you enjoy your hair with blunt cut ends, I'd say just trim your hair regularly just enough to keep it as blunt as you like it, and then wait and see how long it gets that way.

Here's a really good article on regular trimming and preventing damage:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79

Edit: and here's another great article on preventing damage:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=8

Thanks haibane. That is what I am going to attempt. I am going to attempt to keep a blunt hemline (by trimming) for as long as I can and see if I can make the thickness travel down my back.

Who knows if it will work? And of course, I agree with you about damage. That will make it look thinner.

I also used to use herbs and I think they damaged the hair. This go-around I am going to do regular deep moisture treatments and a leave in conditioner to prevent my fine hair from drying then splitting.

Thanks!

The weird thing is since I cut my hair 3 months ago I have grown 3 inches! It seems like my hair grows faster after a cut.

I know that sounds weird. But the longer I go without cutting it, the slower it seems to grown.

girlcat36
November 6th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Girlcat, I love your new siggy! Your hair is getting so long!

I too have the "teeny bun syndorme". :p When I get enough length I use forks and make lazy wraps and do them loosely, so as to make it appear larger. Oh, well. At least I'll probably never outgrow my toys!

Thank you, rags!

When I do wear my hair up, it looks best in messy, full-of-air pony-bun things. Guess I'll just stick to that.

SmallVoice
November 7th, 2011, 02:52 AM
I'm giggling at all the small buns here. Not from meanness, from sympathy.

I only do sock buns. It started when my DD was a baby. She outgrew her baby socks and instead of throwing them out, I rolled them, snipped the toe, and started "stuffing" my bun.

Nevada Rose
November 8th, 2011, 11:45 PM
It's been a while since I've been here and forgot how to make a post. Hopefully this works, hmmmmm.:)

I haqve very fine hair, but a lot of it. It tangles easily and can be a pain in the butt to comb out which I do in 4 sections. I work very gently from the tips and work my way upwards. Because it is fine, I am careful to not stretch it when its wet.

I am also a blow dryer junkie, and must comb out my hair right after washing and conditioning. Then I blow dry. I have tried drying it naturally, but my hair seems to love the blow dryer as much as I do. {My hair and I are very attached you know.}:puppykisses::beercheer:

I also use to taper my hair. Because of the fineness, the taper use to feel all alone, deprived, and would break off. :eyebrows:My hair never seemed to grow with a taper.

I now keep it slightly trimmed straight across when I feel it needs it. And I never cut very much off.

I recently bought some neutral henna. I want to research it more before I use it.:pray:
As for shampoos and conditioners, I still go back to my Mane and Tail after venturing out there using other products.

Tota
November 9th, 2011, 03:49 AM
I have very fine, oily brond/blonette hair. I used to wash it everyday when it was shorter, but now this just isn't possible for. It get's really greasy and flat and nasty very quickly, and it becomes darker at the roots, but washing it so often really damages my dry ends. So I read on some other forum that I could use baby powder to prevent that. Now I wash my hair, wait a day, and then when the scalp is just starting to become greasy I put a small amount of baby powder on my hands and gently rub it in my scalp. This helps me to look presentable for another day or two and my hair looks really voluminous. Now I only wash my hair twice a week, which is an amazing achievement for me.

But now, the question is - is this going to damage my hair or scalp in the long run? Does anyone here have any experience with this? Because I'd rather have greasy hair and wash it everyday again than to loose or destroy it ;) I'll be grateful for any input.

UP Lisa
November 9th, 2011, 06:04 AM
Well, powder can clog pores. Also, make sure you are not using Talcum powder. Cornstarch is okay.

SwordWomanRiona
November 9th, 2011, 06:34 AM
I have the same 'greasy-roots-too-soon' problem, which is a pain in the neck :(, but I don't want to wash more often than twice a week either, so I try to fight the greasy roots with:

-Tea-rinses once a week, after washing. The astringency of tea helps take a bit of the grease off, and it makes my hair soft and shiny. Now I can't live without them - I skip a tea-rinse, I get oilier roots much earlier!

-Once a week, before my inter-week wash, when my hair is at its greasiest, I apply a bit of Klorane's dry shampoo. It works well for me, and I get no build-up because I normally wash that very same day or the day after. And I don't rub it into my roots, so I don't think I get a lot of damage from friction.

-And when I wash, I'm now using Klorane's nettle-base shampoo for oily roots.

UP Lisa
November 9th, 2011, 06:40 AM
What type of tea do you use?

I have the same 'greasy-roots-too-soon' problem, which is a pain in the neck :(, but I don't want to wash more often than twice a week either, so I try to fight the greasy roots with:

-Tea-rinses once a week, after washing. The astringency of tea helps take a bit of the grease off, and it makes my hair soft and shiny. Now I can't live without them - I skip a tea-rinse, I get oilier roots much earlier!

-Once a week, before my inter-week wash, when my hair is at its greasiest, I apply a bit of Klorane's dry shampoo. It works well for me, and I get no build-up because I normally wash that very same day or the day after. And I don't rub it into my roots, so I don't think I get a lot of damage from friction.

-And when I wash, I'm now using Klorane's nettle-base shampoo for oily roots.

giuditta
November 9th, 2011, 07:29 AM
I started spraying my scalp after every wash with a mix of rooibos tea and Dr Haushka's Neem lotion.
It was an experiment to make it grow faster (don't see much difference there), but after 2 weeks I suddenly discovered my scalp was much less oily!
I always wash everyday and by then my scalp is really oily, now I can easily skip a day, no problem!

Tota
November 9th, 2011, 07:49 AM
I use some inexpensive drugstore brand baby shampoo and ofcourse it has talc in it ... damn. Will not use it anymore and will definitely try the rooibos tea, me and my cat drink it all the time anyways so I have lots of it:D I hate my greasy roots, because it makes it so much harder to have long heatlhy hair (because of airdrying it everday, especially in the winter time).

Thank you for you advice!

Tota
November 9th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Ooops, I mean baby powder, not shampoo. Sorry!

RoseOfClare
November 9th, 2011, 07:58 AM
SO I have a question I'm not sure if its been mentioned in this thread before (I havent checked but probably will after writing this!)

But if any of you oil your hair which is the best type to use for fine hair??? I currently do CO but it just feels too heavy for my hair and even if I use a light amount it takes multiple washings to get it out. But my hair does feel silky smooth after washings!

I figured everyone here has different type of fine hair maybe you'd have a good idea of type to use based on experimenting. Also I have blonde hair and I dont know if oils change hair colour :confused: I really don't want that to happen!! I know when I do have CO in my hair it does look darker but doesn't stain at all.

giuditta
November 9th, 2011, 08:16 AM
I use some inexpensive drugstore brand baby shampoo and ofcourse it has talc in it ... damn. Will not use it anymore and will definitely try the rooibos tea, me and my cat drink it all the time anyways so I have lots of it:D I hate my greasy roots, because it makes it so much harder to have long heatlhy hair (because of airdrying it everday, especially in the winter time).

Thank you for you advice!

Your cat? Whahahah couldn't get mine to drink tea I think :D

Tota
November 9th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Your cat? Whahahah couldn't get mine to drink tea I think :D

Now I guess I'm OT, but well, yes, my cat loves rooibos tea. He started drinking it one day I left it on the table and now he thinks that all the tea in the house is made just for him. Well what can you do, right? He definitely is a kind of cat that knows what he likes :D Ok now I'm off to pour some of this amazing tea over my hair, hope it works.

UP Lisa
November 9th, 2011, 09:48 AM
People with fine hair seem to like jojoba, coconut, and sweet almond oils.

quote=RoseOfClare;1857671]SO I have a question I'm not sure if its been mentioned in this thread before (I havent checked but probably will after writing this!)

But if any of you oil your hair which is the best type to use for fine hair??? I currently do CO but it just feels too heavy for my hair and even if I use a light amount it takes multiple washings to get it out. But my hair does feel silky smooth after washings!

I figured everyone here has different type of fine hair maybe you'd have a good idea of type to use based on experimenting. Also I have blonde hair and I dont know if oils change hair colour :confused: I really don't want that to happen!! I know when I do have CO in my hair it does look darker but doesn't stain at all.[/quote]

SwordWomanRiona
November 9th, 2011, 10:27 AM
What type of tea do you use?

Black tea. I often mix it with a hibiscus and rosehip infusion, for more red highlights :). I've just tea-rinsed today, and my hair feels great. I use a whole pot of it (quite a lot of tea-cups!).

SwordWomanRiona
November 9th, 2011, 10:28 AM
I started spraying my scalp after every wash with a mix of rooibos tea and Dr Haushka's Neem lotion.
It was an experiment to make it grow faster (don't see much difference there), but after 2 weeks I suddenly discovered my scalp was much less oily!
I always wash everyday and by then my scalp is really oily, now I can easily skip a day, no problem!

I haven't tried rooibos tea yet...Worth a try!

SwordWomanRiona
November 9th, 2011, 10:38 AM
SO I have a question I'm not sure if its been mentioned in this thread before (I havent checked but probably will after writing this!)

I figured everyone here has different type of fine hair maybe you'd have a good idea of type to use based on experimenting. Also I have blonde hair and I dont know if oils change hair colour :confused: I really don't want that to happen!! I know when I do have CO in my hair it does look darker but doesn't stain at all.

The only oil I have tried is sweet almond oil, and while I still feel it takes its time washing out (and I chose it because I heard it's one of the lightest oils!), I do get good results. I apply it quite sporadically, and only in the ends.
At the moment, I'm a bit confused about oils, I don't really know if my hair needs oil or not. My roots definitely don't, and my ends aren't dry. Since I started using pure aloe vera gel on the ends, I haven't gone back to oils. I need to investigate a bit, I began oiling my ends because I read somewhere that oils could help protecting ends against splits...But I really son't like the feeling of still-oily ends after showering! Maybe I apply too much...

Oils don't change my hair-colour. Well, of course, the hair darkens when it's wet with oil, but I don't think there's any real change of colour. My tips are very coppery, so I think I would have noticed it if they changed colour...But I'm anything but the oil-expert here :).

Annalouise
November 9th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Does anyone here use a leave in conditioner? (a commercial one)

UP Lisa
November 9th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I've been using a very light spray conditioner from Kenra. it is made for fine hair.

UP Lisa
November 9th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Where did you get the idea to use tea on your hair? Do you rinse it out, or leave it in? I'm sure black tea would darken my hair.....

Black tea. I often mix it with a hibiscus and rosehip infusion, for more red highlights :). I've just tea-rinsed today, and my hair feels great. I use a whole pot of it (quite a lot of tea-cups!).

crazy_margaret
November 9th, 2011, 10:57 AM

usually, never. My hair has been SUPER staticy this last week so I have been using a rusk coney leave in to try and tame the elecro-mane.

summergreen
November 9th, 2011, 01:13 PM
[quote=RoseOfClare;1857671]
But if any of you oil your hair which is the best type to use for fine hair???

I use wheatgerm oil (have only used it for oiling before washing, not as a leave-in) and it seems to give my hair more bulk. Some people don't like the smell though (I love it!)

CarpeDM
November 9th, 2011, 01:45 PM
[quote=RoseOfClare;1857671]
But if any of you oil your hair which is the best type to use for fine hair???

I use wheatgerm oil (have only used it for oiling before washing, not as a leave-in) and it seems to give my hair more bulk. Some people don't like the smell though (I love it!)

I personally think camellia oil is the best for really fine hair.

holothuroidea
November 9th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Thanks for that question RoseofClare I was wondering about that too.

I used coconut oil and it still seemed a little to heavy. Where do I find camellia oil?

@crazy_margaret: LOL electro-mane

error
November 9th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Hello everyone! So I have fine hair but a whole lot of it , and I also used a lot of chemical dye in the past to keep my hair jet black , this caused a lot of breakage and really weakened the length of my hair so I had a bit of a taper , on top of this I end up with a lot of silly hair accidents like getting it stuck in the fan or accidentally setting it on fire . Yep im a bit of a cluts so here is what I personally do for fluffy big hair , I get out my jar of "hollywood beauty olive creme" I section my hair into seven different clumps and make seven single braids , i take the olive creme dab it onto my finger tips lightly and spread focusing on the ends up to the roots and work it through then i braid in the opposite direction of where the hair would naturally fall ex. if the braid is on the right side of my head I gently hold that hair to the left side . Be sure to be gentle and when you are finished pull all you're hair up and drape it off the bed so you are not rolling around on you're braids , when you wake up unravel all of them and you will have awesome crimpy mermaid hair . If you do not like the crimped look , you can do this same process with sponge rollers , the kind with the twisty wire on the inside , they are really soft and not too much of a hastle to sleep in especially if most of the curls are placed on top of you're head :> Good luck !

SwordWomanRiona
November 9th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Where did you get the idea to use tea on your hair? Do you rinse it out, or leave it in? I'm sure black tea would darken my hair.....

Nope, nope, black tea doesn't darken one's hair, I was sure to check that out before I began tea-rinsing because I didn't want any darkening either ;). I asked Nightshade, she was the one who wrote the herbal haircare article, and her opinion was that if anything, it should brighten my hair, not darken it. I haven't noticed any darkening (fortunately for me)!
I think I began thinking about tea-rinses after reading Nightshade's article (it's in the articles section). I wanted to try some sort of herbal rinse + get red highlights if possible. Tea was a good option. And then I found out about it fighting greasy roots, so that was that! :D
I leave the tea-rinses in, it works for me that way, and I don't get dry hair or anything (after all, I'm tea-rinsing to combat greasy roots!). Some people report dryness if they leave the rinse in, though. So I suppose you'd have to find out what works best for you if you decide to tea-rinse...

I started a thread shortly after my first tea-rinses, commenting on how well they worked for me. There's also another thread about tea-rinses out there (in the Recipes, Henna and Herbal haircare forum). I'll insert the links here in case you're interested :):
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68071

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68635

SwordWomanRiona
November 9th, 2011, 02:39 PM
[quote=summergreen;1858141]

I've heard about that too, but camellia oil is devilishy difficult to find, in my area at least! Every time I see a herbalists', I ask about camellia oil, and every time it seems I asked for, I don't know, powdered dragon claws, judging by the looks I get :confused:.

SwordWomanRiona
November 9th, 2011, 03:05 PM

I'm the same about it! I freaked out two days ago when I measured and found out that I had gone from 3.5 in (9 cm) to some 3.3 in (8.5 cm). Well, that's because of the Autumn shed, isn't it?, I tried to tell myself. I really hope it is, and may it stop there!

SwordWomanRiona
November 9th, 2011, 03:10 PM

My hair was almost to my waist and it got really thin past bsl.

Anyways, I cut my hair to shoulder length this summer. Now I'm going to try growing my hair out again to see if I can keep it thicker.

What do you think? Is it possible?

If I have 2" at the neck, in case anyone is wondering.

Well, this is what I'm going to do, maintain at classic to try to thcken up the ends. I hope it works!

SwordWomanRiona
November 9th, 2011, 04:19 PM
I'm the same about it! I freaked out two days ago when I measured and found out that I had gone from 3.5 in (9 cm) to some 3.3 in (8.5 cm). Well, that's because of the Autumn shed, isn't it?, I tried to tell myself. I really hope it is, and may it stop there!

I'm definitely paranoid! Turns out I measured wrong that day, because I'm still at 3.5 in! *Phew* :D

cmg
November 9th, 2011, 06:19 PM
A lot happening here in this thread! I prefer oatmeal for those days I have to combat some grease on the roots. It brushes out fairly easy. I dont like using stuff with starch in it. I imagine it can clogg. Whenever I have a darker hair color I use organic cocoa powder.

I'm not sure there is an oil thats better for fine hair. I suppose fine hair can be just as oily or dry as any other hair and have needs corresponding to this.

When I was blonde (bleached from red) I didnt notice any discoloration from oils that I put into the hair. However my own sebum made the roots appear darker until I washed the hair again.

I have used Body Shops leave-in conditioner. I didnt really like it, it didnt really work regardless how I tried to use it. I put it away til recently. Maybe it was due to the fact I used cones before, but now I can use it on the ends and lengths. But the lengths tend to get abit limp from it on the second day. I prefer my own mixes with fex coconut oil and aloe vera.

I dont like wheat germ oil, neither in hair nor on my skin. It has to much acids in it. Like the smell, though. Never tried camellia oil, only just read about it here on LHC. I think there is camellia oil in Monoi, which I can order here. But camellia solo I cant find.

Tea and darkening: I use black tea to dye my knitted and crocheted laces. It gives them just the right "aged" look. Tea contains tannines which can prepair the head hair to uptake dye, if there is dye in the mix. It acts like a mordant.

OT:
My cat drunk alot of strange things. Milk and cream not being among them! :p

CarpeDM
November 9th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Thanks for that question RoseofClare I was wondering about that too.

I used coconut oil and it still seemed a little to heavy. Where do I find camellia oil?

@crazy_margaret: LOL electro-mane

I've ordered it on Amazon from this seller:

http://www.amazon.com/Oshima-Tsubaki-Camellia-Hair-Care/dp/B000OW9QCW/ref=sr_1_5?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1320888289&sr=1-5

CarpeDM
November 9th, 2011, 06:26 PM
[quote=CarpeDM;1858216]

I've heard about that too, but camellia oil is devilishy difficult to find, in my area at least! Every time I see a herbalists', I ask about camellia oil, and every time it seems I asked for, I don't know, powdered dragon claws, judging by the looks I get :confused:.

Where are you located? Can you order it on Amazon?

dRummie
November 9th, 2011, 07:25 PM
My hair is not thin, but it is fine, and very easily weighed down, so perhaps some of my experience can be relevant.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. My hair doesn't handle oil very well, but I use just a drop of camellia scrunched into towel-dried hair and get those really soft ends that also result from damp bunning. There's no other evidence of the oil shortly after it's scrunched in - no coating or weight at all. I got mine from amazon, from a UK seller. I'm in Canada and therefore had limited options, but those in the US and obviously the UK should be all set.

I use Jessicurl's Aloeba, scrunched into dripping wet hair, and it doesn't weigh it down at all and virtually eliminates tangles.

SlightlySoprano
November 9th, 2011, 07:55 PM
*le sigh* my pony circ is 1.8" I would KILL to have a solid 2" :(

In other news... I did a tea rinse (and left it in) tonight with a Rooibos/Green mix. Will let you know how that goes :o

FrozenBritannia
November 9th, 2011, 08:13 PM
A lot happening here in this thread! I prefer oatmeal for those days I have to combat some grease on the roots. It brushes out fairly easy. I dont like using stuff with starch in it. I imagine it can clogg. Whenever I have a darker hair color I use organic cocoa powder.

I like the idea of using oatmeal because it will come out easier, but I'm allergic to it. Do you think it would effect me through the scalp?

In other news... I did a tea rinse (and left it in) tonight with a Rooibos/Green mix. Will let you know how that goes :o

With you there! I'm 1.75". I'm hoping when part of my bangs grow out my numbers will boost a little bit. I wouldn't want to be 3" though, I don't think it would suit me. :( (thats 1. seventy five, I'm not sure why it's not showing properly.. Unless it's just my screen?)

cmg
November 9th, 2011, 09:04 PM
I like the idea of using oatmeal because it will come out easier, but I'm allergic to it. Do you think it would effect me through the scalp?
I couldn't say. This is so very individual. Are you reacting allergicly from eating it, then you could perhaps react if leaving it on for too long. You would have to try and see for yourself. Are you reacting from breathing it in, then I would not recommend handling it at all. Perhaps you could try almond meal instead? It has to be finely sifted though.

shikara
November 9th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Ooooh I'm looking forward to heRing the results of the tea rinse as well! I will be starting that as of next wash, adding also a couple tbsp of lemon juice. I also started something else that came about because my scalp was VERY tender from an updo I had. I heard that green tea compresses were great for inflammations etc among all the other benefits of tea for the hair. I first gently pressed a wrung out warm cloth on the area to open the pores, then pressed the warm tea bag against my scalp for a minute or two and moved around this way. It felt SOO good I'm thinking of doing this regularly. I think this would be very good for scalp and hair growth. Are there any reasons why this shouldn't be done?

CarpeDM
November 10th, 2011, 05:16 AM

I would kill for your curls :)

FrozenBritannia
November 10th, 2011, 07:31 AM
I couldn't say. This is so very individual. Are you reacting allergicly from eating it, then you could perhaps react if leaving it on for too long. You would have to try and see for yourself. Are you reacting from breathing it in, then I would not recommend handling it at all. Perhaps you could try almond meal instead? It has to be finely sifted though.

Yes, I get tummy ache from eating it. Would almond meal be absorbant enough? I'll try to see if I can track some down this weekend maybe.

CarpeDM
November 10th, 2011, 07:49 AM

I'm not sure there is an oil thats better for fine hair. I suppose fine hair can be just as oily or dry as any other hair and have needs corresponding to this.

When I was blonde (bleached from red) I didnt notice any discoloration from oils that I put into the hair. However my own sebum made the roots appear darker until I washed the hair again.

I have used Body Shops leave-in conditioner. I didnt really like it, it didnt really work regardless how I tried to use it. I put it away til recently. Maybe it was due to the fact I used cones before, but now I can use it on the ends and lengths. But the lengths tend to get abit limp from it on the second day. I prefer my own mixes with fex coconut oil and aloe vera.

I dont like wheat germ oil, neither in hair nor on my skin. It has to much acids in it. Like the smell, though. Never tried camellia oil, only just read about it here on LHC. I think there is camellia oil in Monoi, which I can order here. But camellia solo I cant find.

Tea and darkening: I use black tea to dye my knitted and crocheted laces. It gives them just the right "aged" look. Tea contains tannines which can prepair the head hair to uptake dye, if there is dye in the mix. It acts like a mordant.

OT:
My cat drunk alot of strange things. Milk and cream not being among them! :p

I will have to try the oatmeal trick, I've never heard of that one before. I have heard of using corn starch before. Actually I tried the corn starch before and put in too much. I ended up looking like I had pure white hair, a glimpse into the future!!

Annalouise
November 10th, 2011, 08:02 AM
So, how often do you all trim your hair?

UP Lisa
November 10th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Every two or three months.

UP Lisa
November 10th, 2011, 08:15 AM
But what is your natural color? Mine is blond. It is very hard to imagine that something that stains cups and teeth would not stain hair.

Nope, nope, black tea doesn't darken one's hair, I was sure to check that out before I began tea-rinsing because I didn't want any darkening either ;). I asked Nightshade, she was the one who wrote the herbal haircare article, and her opinion was that if anything, it should brighten my hair, not darken it. I haven't noticed any darkening (fortunately for me)!
I think I began thinking about tea-rinses after reading Nightshade's article (it's in the articles section). I wanted to try some sort of herbal rinse + get red highlights if possible. Tea was a good option. And then I found out about it fighting greasy roots, so that was that! :D
I leave the tea-rinses in, it works for me that way, and I don't get dry hair or anything (after all, I'm tea-rinsing to combat greasy roots!). Some people report dryness if they leave the rinse in, though. So I suppose you'd have to find out what works best for you if you decide to tea-rinse...

I started a thread shortly after my first tea-rinses, commenting on how well they worked for me. There's also another thread about tea-rinses out there (in the Recipes, Henna and Herbal haircare forum). I'll insert the links here in case you're interested :):
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68071

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68635

Maha94
November 10th, 2011, 08:30 AM
My hair is not thin, but for a year from now i cut my hair. So now the hair on the top of mye head is a little bit shorter than the hair under.

I need to know how I can grow my hair faster! Is there any secret? And how much will mye hair grow in 4 months ?

CarpeDM
November 10th, 2011, 08:32 AM
I used to trim every 3 months but since I have been trying to grow it out longer, it is every 6 months now.

UP Lisa
November 10th, 2011, 08:56 AM
For most people, hair grows 1/2 inch per month. There is really no secret to making it grow faster.

My hair is not thin, but for a year from now i cut my hair. So now the hair on the top of mye head is a little bit shorter than the hair under.

I need to know how I can grow my hair faster! Is there any secret? And how much will mye hair grow in 4 months ?

DoubleCrowned
November 10th, 2011, 09:07 AM
I will have to try the oatmeal trick, I've never heard of that one before. I have heard of using corn starch before. Actually I tried the corn starch before and put in too much. I ended up looking like I had pure white hair, a glimpse into the future!!

See what happens if you apply the cornstarch with a blush brush. If I use it that way, then use a soft BBB to touch up the up do, the cornstarch disappears. I don't know if it would work that way for you.

Never, anymore. I decided to let the long strands protect the short ones. I don't get split ends to speak of. I found one in 6 months.

There is a thread on nutrition and hair, I think. Also, a thread on rooibos tea. Massaging the scalp or anything that improves circulation to it would help hair growth if circulation to it was lacking.

Annalouise
November 10th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I think 3 months between trims is a good guideline for me. 4 months maximum.

It's been 3.5 months now since my last cut so I think I should get a trim.
How much should one trim? Is 1/4 of an inch ok? to maintain the health of the ends?

What do you think? Or should I go with 1/2 "?

I don't have any damage now. I just want to maintain the health of the ends and keep them even.

Annalouise
November 10th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Doublecrowned. I think if one doesn't trim their hair they will get fairytale ends.

Some people want fairytale ends so they don't trim.

I want an even hemline this go-around. That is my goal anyways.:)

schweedie
November 10th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I think 3 months between trims is a good guideline for me. 4 months maximum.

It's been 3.5 months now since my last cut so I think I should get a trim.
How much should one trim? Is 1/4 of an inch ok? to maintain the health of the ends?

What do you think? Or should I go with 1/2 "?
I usually go about three months, too, and just let my hairdresser trim as much as needed (she's one of the good ones - I can trust her to only take off what needs to be cut off). Most of the time she trims between 1/4-1/2" (except for the one time I left it four months and had to trim an inch) so if you don't have any damage it sounds like 1/4" would be fine for you!

Annalouise
November 10th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Thanks schweedie. I think that is a good idea.

You did a great job growing out your hair. It looks very healthy.:)

DoubleCrowned
November 10th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Doublecrowned. I think if one doesn't trim their hair they will get fairytale ends.

Some people want fairytale ends so they don't trim.

I want an even hemline this go-around. That is my goal anyways.:)
True. My fairy tale ends are more like fairytale end. There is so little hair, it just curves together into one soft bun curl. Ah, for the day I will have enough for a hemline...

giuditta
November 10th, 2011, 12:09 PM
SwordWomanRiona I love your tea topic, I have hibiscus tea brewing right now to use as a rinse tonight! I love trying new things :stirpot:

CarpeDM
November 10th, 2011, 12:29 PM
OOO a blush brush, what a great idea, so much better than just pouring it on my head :doh: LOL.

SwordWomanRiona
November 10th, 2011, 12:47 PM
[quote=SwordWomanRiona;1858305]

Where are you located? Can you order it on Amazon?

Well, I suppose I could always order it on the Internet, yes...It's in the local shops where I don't find it, ah well!

SwordWomanRiona
November 10th, 2011, 12:53 PM

I've recently scheduled my trimming-timetable :). I did a fair trim in August (1'', evened out my uneven hemline), and then a microtrim in September. I'm maintaining at classic for quite a while to thicken up the ends, and I've planned four 1'' or so trims a year, preferably in 'favourable' days such as full moons and solstices and equinnoxes (I read the 'Trim your hair by the Moon' thread and loved the idea :D). So next trim would be on December, Winter solstice or full moon, I haven't decided that yet :)

SwordWomanRiona
November 10th, 2011, 12:57 PM
But what is your natural color? Mine is blond. It is very hard to imagine that something that stains cups and teeth would not stain hair.

Auburn, medium brown with golden-coppery highlights. I've tea-rinsed after it was henna'ed (roots already showing), but if anything, the tea accentuated my red highlights (that's one of the reasons one can tea-rinse, after all, so in that sense, yes, of course tea stains :)), I really haven't noticed any darkening. Anyway, given that this is a herbal rinse, it's nothing permanent, the effects should be gone after you wash again a couple of times and don't tea-rinse again, so I don't think you need fear :)

SwordWomanRiona
November 10th, 2011, 01:00 PM
SwordWomanRiona I love your tea topic, I have hibiscus tea brewing right now to use as a rinse tonight! I love trying new things :stirpot:

Yay! Good luck :D!

Annalouise
November 10th, 2011, 04:37 PM
True. My fairy tale ends are more like fairytale end. There is so little hair, it just curves together into one soft bun curl. Ah, for the day I will have enough for a hemline...

It will get thicker as your new hairs grow in. I have quite a bit of new growth do you?

I've recently scheduled my trimming-timetable :). I did a fair trim in August (1'', evened out my uneven hemline), and then a microtrim in September. I'm maintaining at classic for quite a while to thicken up the ends, and I've planned four 1'' or so trims a year, preferably in 'favourable' days such as full moons and solstices and equinnoxes (I read the 'Trim your hair by the Moon' thread and loved the idea :D). So next trim would be on December, Winter solstice or full moon, I haven't decided that yet :)

I got my hair trimmed today and it is a full moon! That's pretty cool. I guess you are not supposed to cut it during a waning moon.

If you only cut off 4" in a year you'll still acquire length.:)

I got 1/4" cut off today, maybe a tad more, I forgot to look at the floor.:p As long as I don't get any split ends I should be able to do this 4x a year and still get 5" in a year! Hopefully. Or more, since I'm taking vitamins.:D

I seem to think that my hair grows faster after a cut but everyone says this is not possible. Am I imagining it? I don't know.

cmg
November 10th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Powder brush - what a great idea! I will try that.

Growing hair and gaining length is not the same thing :( My hair grows very fast but there is rarely any gain in length. I used to get a new haircut every month or so, something between 1-2 inches every time. I stopped chemicals and heat abuse early this year and since then I have done only one haircut just to get rid of all the worst parts. I took off some 6 inches. I know because of the roots, that it grows like it always does, but I have gained only around one lousy inch this year since. :pumpkin: I have bad hair thats all. It has been like this all my life, it just fades off at the ends. When I was younger I kept the bad hair and the spliss was probably 10 inches. I decided I'll try growing it out a last time. Never to late to take good care of the hair!

andreamuse
November 11th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Question especially for fellow people with fine/thin hair. I just recently heard that bobby pins can be damaging to hair. I am growing out a pixie now and am just getting to the point where I need to pin back some of my hair. What do you guys use as pins that won't damage my hair? I'm treating my hair so gently now because I figure this is my big chance with my hair being so short right now to make my hair into the best possible hair it can be as it grows. :) I don't want to damage it with something silly like pins. Also when it gets longer, I know I will need to use pins to hold buns in place, etc.

swords & roses
November 11th, 2011, 06:37 AM
My hair ejects bobby pins with a vengence! And when I take them out, I hear the hair stuck in the pins squeaking, which is probably a bad thing, lol! So I could definitely see that bobby pins could be damaging. When I need to clip/pin back the front part of my hair, I use the little triangular snap clips. When it's time to take them out, they snap open and don't snag my hair. They look like this, & you can get them just about anywhere (drug stores, walmart, Sally beauty, etc.) http://www.diyhairbows.com/class.asp?lx=small&anid=80&nid=638 When I need to pin up a bun, I use a ficcarre style clip I found for cheap at Claire's in the mall. If I don't want to see a big clip, I use spin pins or U-pins. Links for those: http://www.goody.com/#/grid/default/products/simple_styles_spin_pin http://www.sallybeauty.com/Jumbo-Hair-Pins/STARTE2,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH

Anyone have any experinec with Good Hair Days Magic-Grip pins? I'm curious as to how well they work. http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/product_view/manyhorsesjewelrysupply/3279021/good_hair_days_magic_grip_hair_pins_black/supplies/craft_supplies/bath___beauty_supplies/other

holothuroidea
November 11th, 2011, 06:55 AM
@andreamuse- I have a lot of damage from bobby pins, stay away from them!

I don't really know alternatives other than snap clips and head bands but I stay away from those too because now I'm wary. I just kinda let my hair do its thing.

UP Lisa
November 11th, 2011, 07:09 AM
I use what I think you are describing as "snap clips" all the time. The only problem I have is that sometimes they aren't put together quite right on the end, and hair will get caught. I throw those out!

@andreamuse- I have a lot of damage from bobby pins, stay away from them!

I don't really know alternatives other than snap clips and head bands but I stay away from those too because now I'm wary. I just kinda let my hair do its thing.

Annalouise
November 11th, 2011, 10:24 AM

Growing hair and gaining length is not the same thing :( My hair grows very fast but there is rarely any gain in length. I used to get a new haircut every month or so, something between 1-2 inches every time. I stopped chemicals and heat abuse early this year and since then I have done only one haircut just to get rid of all the worst parts. I took off some 6 inches. I know because of the roots, that it grows like it always does, but I have gained only around one lousy inch this year since. :pumpkin: I have bad hair thats all. It has been like this all my life, it just fades off at the ends. When I was younger I kept the bad hair and the spliss was probably 10 inches. I decided I'll try growing it out a last time. Never to late to take good care of the hair!

Hi:) I don't understand? If you cut 1-2" off every month then you won't gain length.:(
Are you also saying that you gained only 1" since your last cut? How long ago was that haircut?

And regarding the way the hair fades off at the ends. I think I know what you're talking about. Are you talking about when you pull a strand of hair through your fingers and it starts out fairly thick, but by the time you get to the end of it you can't even feel it because its soo thin?

I have these types of hairs too. But it might be because when that hair started out, you were not getting the right kind of nutrition therefore it was very thin.

Or, is it the other way around? the individual hair strand started out thick, but someone over the months/years melted down?

I'm guessing its the first scenario. I don't think hair can diminish in size over time, it can only split or break.

Hairitic
November 11th, 2011, 10:25 AM
My hair ejects bobby pins with a vengence! And when I take them out, I hear the hair stuck in the pins squeaking, which is probably a bad thing, lol! So I could definitely see that bobby pins could be damaging. When I need to clip/pin back the front part of my hair, I use the little triangular snap clips. When it's time to take them out, they snap open and don't snag my hair. They look like this, & you can get them just about anywhere (drug stores, walmart, Sally beauty, etc.) http://www.diyhairbows.com/class.asp?lx=small&anid=80&nid=638 When I need to pin up a bun, I use a ficcarre style clip I found for cheap at Claire's in the mall. If I don't want to see a big clip, I use spin pins or U-pins. Links for those: http://www.goody.com/#/grid/default/products/simple_styles_spin_pin http://www.sallybeauty.com/Jumbo-Hair-Pins/STARTE2,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH

Anyone have any experinec with Good Hair Days Magic-Grip pins? I'm curious as to how well they work. http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/product_view/manyhorsesjewelrysupply/3279021/good_hair_days_magic_grip_hair_pins_black/supplies/craft_supplies/bath___beauty_supplies/other

I have some of the Good Hair Days Magic Grip Pins. They do hold alright. The problems I have with them is that they are too wide/thick to cross over each other :( and they do get bent out of shape somewhat :confused: after being in your hair for a while. I really don't use them anymore because I prefer regular Hairpins/U-pins and of course my Ficcares :p and hair forks.

SwordWomanRiona
November 11th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Question especially for fellow people with fine/thin hair. I just recently heard that bobby pins can be damaging to hair. I am growing out a pixie now and am just getting to the point where I need to pin back some of my hair. What do you guys use as pins that won't damage my hair? I'm treating my hair so gently now because I figure this is my big chance with my hair being so short right now to make my hair into the best possible hair it can be as it grows. :) I don't want to damage it with something silly like pins. Also when it gets longer, I know I will need to use pins to hold buns in place, etc.

Yes, I know what you mean. I stayed away from bobby pins for years because they caught in my hair when taking them out and cut off and bent hairs :(. I recently found some open pins for buns, which are all right. I thought I would not be able to wear bobby pins anymore, but a couple of months ago I found some which are remarkably gentle for my hair, with rounded ends. I found them in a standart supermarket, I don't even know the brand or anything (so I'm sorry I can't tell you), but they don't get caught in my hair!! :D Not that I wear bobby pins much, but it's great to have some that don't seem to damage my hair!

andreamuse
November 11th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Thank you!!! I am going to find some of those snap clips, I think, but I will keep an eye out for if they start to cause problems, too. I won't need them for too long, I suspect, just to get through that extremely awkward point when a pixie cut first starts to grow out of its shape. :)

cmg
November 11th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Hi:) I don't understand? If you cut 1-2" off every month then you won't gain length.:(
Yes it grows much faster. If it werent so fragile, then I would have up to three inches gain every month. Both hair and nails grow really quick for me.

Are you also saying that you gained only 1" since your last cut? How long ago was that haircut?Some six months ago I think.:( It was neccessary...

And regarding the way the hair fades off at the ends. I think I know what you're talking about. Are you talking about when you pull a strand of hair through your fingers and it starts out fairly thick, but by the time you get to the end of it you can't even feel it because its soo thin?

I have these types of hairs too. But it might be because when that hair started out, you were not getting the right kind of nutrition therefore it was very thin.

Or, is it the other way around? the individual hair strand started out thick, but someone over the months/years melted down?

I'm guessing its the first scenario. I don't think hair can diminish in size over time, it can only split or break.Actually its both. It is bad quality and thin/fine to begin with because I have a thyreoid problem. And then it is also finer at the ends, perhaps 1/2 inch, where the wear and tear is. This is visible to the naked eye. They simply fade away on me. :o Once the outer keratine layers (fine haired people dont have as many layers as other) are gone, the end is near. :pumpkin:

At certain lenghts, this is very apparent. For example pulling hair behind the ear-length, which corresponds to hairband (tiara in english?) length. This wears of my hair like nothing else. Takes a week perhaps, then it breaks off at that length, just like if I'd cut a layer. And this is soon followed byt the back of chair touching-length. Those a pain to grow past. After that, it's easier. More individual strands are longer and they seem to protect each other. My hair has looked and felt like spun sugar most of my life.

Uhm. Perhaps I should start braiding :rolleyes:
(duhh)

lynnala
November 11th, 2011, 08:50 PM
[quote=CarpeDM;1858216]

I've heard about that too, but camellia oil is devilishy difficult to find, in my area at least! Every time I see a herbalists', I ask about camellia oil, and every time it seems I asked for, I don't know, powdered dragon claws, judging by the looks I get :confused:.You can find it on eBay. I've been using macadamia oil (also from eBay, very inexpensive) for about a month now and I like it very much! It soaks right in and doesn't leave my hair oily at all. I also use it on my skin after I shower, it's really nice stuff.

Good idea! I use cosmetic grade rice powder on my hair as a dry shampoo. Also from eBay. Yeah, that's where I do a lot of shopping. :p

CarpeDM
November 12th, 2011, 06:17 AM
[quote=SwordWomanRiona;1858305]You can find it on eBay. I've been using macadamia oil (also from eBay, very inexpensive) for about a month now and I like it very much! It soaks right in and doesn't leave my hair oily at all. I also use it on my skin after I shower, it's really nice stuff.

Good idea! I use cosmetic grade rice powder on my hair as a dry shampoo. Also from eBay. Yeah, that's where I do a lot of shopping. :p

That cosmetic grade rice powder is a pretty interesting idea. Can I ask how you use it?

SwordWomanRiona
November 12th, 2011, 09:38 AM
[quote=SwordWomanRiona;1858305]You can find it on eBay. I've been using macadamia oil (also from eBay, very inexpensive) for about a month now and I like it very much! It soaks right in and doesn't leave my hair oily at all. I also use it on my skin after I shower, it's really nice stuff.

Thanks, lynnala! I'm going to look that up :)

cmg
November 12th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Rice powder, of course! How could I forget about that? :dizzy:
Another reason why this forum is so great :flowers:

Nevada Rose
November 12th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Like you, I also used dye on my hair. I used Nice and Easy Blueblack for over 20 years. My hair seemed to like it and the dye seemed to make the strands feel thicker. Once the dye began to fade however, my hair would be bleached out from the peroxide, leaving the ends dry and brittle. Back in the day, Nice and Easy was harsh. I have no idea if it's a better product now as I have had my natural haircolor for years.

I am still captivated by all the beautiful hair color dyes, and it is an effort for me to keep walking.

Nevada Rose
November 12th, 2011, 12:31 PM
OOPS! My post above was in response to "Error", post #1125.

lynnala
November 12th, 2011, 03:12 PM
[quote=lynnala;1861310]

That cosmetic grade rice powder is a pretty interesting idea. Can I ask how you use it?I have it in a shaker bottle, and I shake a little onto my palms, rub them together and then rub it into my hair and scalp with my fingers like I'm shampooing. I do this a couple of times, then comb or brush to remove any excess powder. I also add some powdered incense to the rice powder so my hair smells good. And yeah, I got the powdered incense on eBay too! :D

cmg
November 12th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Arrgh. I just found a package with rice powder and there was too little left to make a proper test out of it. I wanted to know if it left visible particles in the hair after brushing out from darker hair. It does have alot of starch in it.

OT:
*Snip* The parboil process causes a gelatinisation of the starch in the grains. / Wikipedia. I'm wondering if parboiled rice, or perhaps even rice powder, can be used mushed in henna paste to make it slimier and easier to distribute and remove?

haibane
November 12th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Arrgh. I just found a package with rice powder and there was too little left to make a proper test out of it. I wanted to know if it left visible particles in the hair after brushing out from darker hair. It does have alot of starch in it.

OT:
*Snip* The parboil process causes a gelatinisation of the starch in the grains. / Wikipedia. I'm wondering if parboiled rice, or perhaps even rice powder, can be used mushed in henna paste to make it slimier and easier to distribute and remove?
You can use corn starch or potato starch to do henna glosses. (Mix and boil it with water until it's gel/glue-like.) I use potato starch. I don't see why rice starch couldn't be used the same way.

lynnala
November 12th, 2011, 04:49 PM

OT:
*Snip* The parboil process causes a gelatinisation of the starch in the grains. / Wikipedia. I'm wondering if parboiled rice, or perhaps even rice powder, can be used mushed in henna paste to make it slimier and easier to distribute and remove?Fennugreek powder gets very slippery when mixed with water, and it makes hair very smooth and shiny. Wonder how that would work?

cmg
November 12th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Yeah, but I was thinking of doing it without boiling. Just being lazy.

cmg
November 12th, 2011, 04:52 PM
*Googling fenugreek* This forum is amazing :)

cmg
November 12th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Oh this! It is called rams-horns-clover in my language. I didnt know it could give slime like that. Very interesting! How do you use it in the hair lynnala, rinse or wash?

CarpeDM
November 12th, 2011, 06:31 PM
[quote=CarpeDM;1861615]I have it in a shaker bottle, and I shake a little onto my palms, rub them together and then rub it into my hair and scalp with my fingers like I'm shampooing. I do this a couple of times, then comb or brush to remove any excess powder. I also add some powdered incense to the rice powder so my hair smells good. And yeah, I got the powdered incense on eBay too! :D

Hmmm I have an oily scalp and need to wash every day but I would love to get a break from it every once in a while, I will have to try and see how it works.

SlightlySoprano
November 12th, 2011, 07:07 PM
anybody just scalp wash? I tried it a few days ago, it worked alright... but it got super oily the next day... I think I need to condition it as well :o

islandboo
November 12th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Andreamuse, you can also use the itty bitty sized claw clips to hold your hair back. I find them less damaging than the snap clips, at least in my hair.

lynnala
November 12th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Oh this! It is called rams-horns-clover in my language. I didnt know it could give slime like that. Very interesting! How do you use it in the hair lynnala, rinse or wash?I mix it with water into a paste and work it into my hair after a wash, then rinse it out. Very messy! I also used to use it as part of an Indian herb mix to wash my hair, but I've been too lazy to do that in awhile.

Plumeria
November 12th, 2011, 11:33 PM
I am using fenugreek in the kitchen. How interesting that I could also use it for my hair. Your right cmg, this forum is amazing. And I am curious now :lol:. I think I will try this next week after washing. Thank you lynnala.

DoubleCrowned
November 13th, 2011, 01:27 AM
It will get thicker as your new hairs grow in. I have quite a bit of new growth do you?

The length is looks as if it is filling in. I have a lot of short hairs, too, but I always have. I am hoping that what I have learned at LHF will finally get them to grow long.

Thanks, it just clicked one day, to try the blush brush. I was thinking along the lines of finding a brush that would be more gentle for smoothing my hair than boar bristle. I saw the powder brush, which reminded me of powdery corn starch.... click.

I think even shampoo wears hair thin. I remember, as a child, seeing my virgin hair color washing out of my hair with each shampoo. Dirt would not have been exactly the color of my hair. It had to be hair cells. That's one reason I wash with water only.

SlightlySoprano
November 13th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Ooooh I'm looking forward to heRing the results of the tea rinse as well! I will be starting that as of next wash, adding also a couple tbsp of lemon juice.

So the rooibos tea rinse was a complete success for me. I dumped about 10 oz of it over my head post-conditioner and did not rinse out. The result, more textured hair (I didn't wear it out that day, I had to braid it for a concert) that was easier to manage because it stuck together a little bit more. My hair is prone to being VERY slippery so the slight stickyness was very appreciated. It was also unbelievably shiny. The only thing that I didn't like was I had to wash it the very next day because it was greasy again... but I'm not sure if that's just because I was on a tour bus and gross all day or if the tea made my scalp react somehow...

I would kill for your curls :)

Aww thank you <3 :o

SwordWomanRiona
November 13th, 2011, 11:27 AM
anybody just scalp wash? I tried it a few days ago, it worked alright... but it got super oily the next day... I think I need to condition it as well :o

I'm considering to try that now and again...Maybe I'm becoming too paranoic :p, but won't I damage my fine hair if I wash the length twice a week? :confused:

SwordWomanRiona
November 13th, 2011, 11:32 AM
So the rooibos tea rinse was a complete success for me. I dumped about 10 oz of it over my head post-conditioner and did not rinse out. The result, more textured hair (I didn't wear it out that day, I had to braid it for a concert) that was easier to manage because it stuck together a little bit more. My hair is prone to being VERY slippery so the slight stickyness was very appreciated. It was also unbelievably shiny. The only thing that I didn't like was I had to wash it the very next day because it was greasy again... but I'm not sure if that's just because I was on a tour bus and gross all day or if the tea made my scalp react somehow.

I don't think it was because of the tea, as tea's astringent and actually would help, if only a bit, to treat greasy roots :confused:...Mine still turns greasy too soon for my liking even if a tea-rinse once a week, I suppose we could a) Tea-rinse more? b) Accept that one's roots get greasy too soon :(. Tea-rinses have helped me with the greasy roots, though. It's only, they're still too greasy :D!

SwordWomanRiona
November 13th, 2011, 11:38 AM
So I've been hearing a lot of good things about wooden wide-toothed combs here, and yesterday I finally decided to buy one in The Body Shop. I've never used a comb for my length for ages, I only finger-detangle and brush, but I do use a comb to pull my hair into a ponytail/bun, so why not buy a 'good' one? So far, I like it.
But I'm a bit apprehensive about using it on my length. Is there a "reason" I should use a comb instead of just my fingers and a gentle brush? I have heard a lot of great things about a wooden comb like the one I've bought, but I just can't but think 'Isn't a comb, even if wide-toothed, going to harm my fine hair? Shouldn't I just finger-detangle, and leave the comb to smooth my roots for a ponytail?'.

Do you fellow fine-haired LHC's use a wooden comb?

holothuroidea
November 13th, 2011, 12:26 PM
@swordwomanriona- The only thing that touches my hair is my fingers. It is really fine, and thin and dry and brittle. Basically the worst combination for having any kind of hemline. So, I don't even use a towel to dry and I only detangle with my fingers when they are well oiled.

Tota
November 13th, 2011, 12:56 PM
I washed my hair on Thursday and tried the rooibos tea rinse, too. My hair felt thicker and less dry and frizzy. Normally I HAVE TO wash my hair every other day, but this time my hair looked quite good untill today. That are two whole days without washing my hair, yay! :D Today I tried the ACV rinse for the first time to see if it works even better than the rooibos rinse.

alyanna
November 13th, 2011, 01:01 PM
So I've been hearing a lot of good things about wooden wide-toothed combs here, and yesterday I finally decided to buy one in The Body Shop. I've never used a comb for my length for ages, I only finger-detangle and brush, but I do use a comb to pull my hair into a ponytail/bun, so why not buy a 'good' one? So far, I like it.
But I'm a bit apprehensive about using it on my length. Is there a "reason" I should use a comb instead of just my fingers and a gentle brush? I have heard a lot of great things about a wooden comb like the one I've bought, but I just can't but think 'Isn't a comb, even if wide-toothed, going to harm my fine hair? Shouldn't I just finger-detangle, and leave the comb to smooth my roots for a ponytail?'.

I bought that Body Shop comb a few months ago and I don't really like it much at all. It snags my fine hair. It's not a very smooth comb. So now I use it in the shower sometimes when my hair is soaked with conditioner.

SwordWomanRiona
November 13th, 2011, 01:08 PM
@swordwomanriona- The only thing that touches my hair is my fingers. It is really fine, and thin and dry and brittle. Basically the worst combination for having any kind of hemline. So, I don't even use a towel to dry and I only detangle with my fingers when they are well oiled.

I bought that Body Shop comb a few months ago and I don't really like it much at all. It snags my fine hair. It's not a very smooth comb. So now I use it in the shower sometimes when my hair is soaked with conditioner.

Yes, that's what I thought when I did a test and combed my ends. I like the comb, but only in my root-area. I think I'll continue with just my fingers, it seems the best way to treat my fine hair. But I just wanted to ask :)

lynnala
November 13th, 2011, 01:13 PM
I am using fenugreek in the kitchen. How interesting that I could also use it for my hair. Your right cmg, this forum is amazing. And I am curious now :lol:. I think I will try this next week after washing. Thank you lynnala.Let us know how you like it!

MsBubbles
November 13th, 2011, 01:24 PM
I'm considering to try that now and again...Maybe I'm becoming too paranoic :p, but won't I damage my fine hair if I wash the length twice a week? :confused:

I don't think you are understanding what a scalp wash is. I mostly only ever do scalp washes - they have saved my length the past 2 years from the relentless washing, stripping and ripping on my fragile ends. You ONLY wash the scalp hair, NOT the length. Either tie it up in a loose pony and hold the length out the way, or like I do, bag the length in a few shower caps wrapped with loose ponytail holders, and shampoo the scalp hair.

Not only have I saved my ends, I have saved a ton of money on not having to buy conditioner! The ends stay dry and untouched, AND untangled! I believe without having found scalp washes I would never have been able to reach almost hip length with my fine, thin, damaged and straggly ends.

I have grease-prone hair/scalp that is just downright anti-social if I don't wash it regularly. I am not willing to go through that, as well as dandruff, itching and flakes just for the sake of saving my ends while I grow my hair long. The scalp wash proved to be the solution to my problem.

SwordWomanRiona
November 13th, 2011, 02:26 PM
I don't think you are understanding what a scalp wash is. I mostly only ever do scalp washes - they have saved my length the past 2 years from the relentless washing, stripping and ripping on my fragile ends. You ONLY wash the scalp hair, NOT the length. Either tie it up in a loose pony and hold the length out the way, or like I do, bag the length in a few shower caps wrapped with loose ponytail holders, and shampoo the scalp hair.

Not only have I saved my ends, I have saved a ton of money on not having to buy conditioner! The ends stay dry and untouched, AND untangled! I believe without having found scalp washes I would never have been able to reach almost hip length with my fine, thin, damaged and straggly ends.

I have grease-prone hair/scalp that is just downright anti-social if I don't wash it regularly. I am not willing to go through that, as well as dandruff, itching and flakes just for the sake of saving my ends while I grow my hair long. The scalp wash proved to be the solution to my problem.

I know you only wash the scalp, that's why I'm seriously considering it :)! The' Won't I damage' thing in my former post was my mind reasoning 'Won't it be better to scalp wash now and again, rather than wash the length twice a week every week?' So you don't really have to convince me that much...:D

cmg
November 13th, 2011, 03:54 PM

I am, sometimes. But I'm not sure this particular one from Body Shop is the best one. It has hard edges, not round, and it is fairly fine sifted. I use one that is sculpted and sanded more round and has less than half as many tooths on it. The advantage to fingercombing is that its done quicker with a comb than without. It has to be a safe one though.

cmg
November 13th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Mine is the same type as the second one from the top on this picture. Perhaps a little wider:
http://www.cachebeauty.com/gold_magic_comb_set.jpg
I think plastic and wood are Ok, metal is more difficult to use safely. There might be edges from the casting and manufacturing, as well as static electricity issues.

CarpeDM
November 15th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I am, sometimes. But I'm not sure this particular one from Body Shop is the best one. It has hard edges, not round, and it is fairly fine sifted. I use one that is sculpted and sanded more round and has less than half as many tooths on it. The advantage to fingercombing is that its done quicker with a comb than without. It has to be a safe one though.

I haven't had a lot of luck with wood combs, they tend to split over time and I'm too lazy to sand them down. I like the seamless Nubone combs myself.

headtrip_honey
November 15th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Quick query for my fellow fine hairs....

As it's winter, my hair now takes longer to dry in the mornings (I try to have it about 95&#37; dry by the time I walk out the door...since my hair is thin and fine, it usually dries pretty quickly).

Which method of speeding the process do you think is less damaging:

1. After detangling with a comb, gently running a paddle brush through my hair (it separates the hair better, allowing air to penetrate and thus dry quicker)
2. Giving my hair a brief shot from the hair dryer (on low, warm settings)

Please and thank you!

lapushka
November 15th, 2011, 10:09 AM

1. After detangling with a comb, gently running a paddle brush through my hair (it separates the hair better, allowing air to penetrate and thus dry quicker)

2 is less damaging IMO and will speed the process far more than 1 will. It's not exactly a sin to blowdry. :confused:

holothuroidea
November 15th, 2011, 10:26 AM

As it's winter, my hair now takes longer to dry in the mornings (I try to have it about 95% dry by the time I walk out the door...since my hair is thin and fine, it usually dries pretty quickly).

Please and thank you!

It depends on your hair. If your hair is fragile and prone to breakage then 2 is probably better. You list your hair as F/M, if it's on the finer side I wouldn't touch it with a brush.

If you hair tends to be dry but in general it is fairly strong and damage resistant then 1 would be the better option.

If your hair is both fine and dry I would reconsider washing your hair in the morning. There are so many alternatives to washing every day.

CarpeDM
November 15th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Well honestly I do both every now and then and my hair is pretty healthy!

haibane
November 15th, 2011, 10:28 AM

As it's winter, my hair now takes longer to dry in the mornings (I try to have it about 95% dry by the time I walk out the door...since my hair is thin and fine, it usually dries pretty quickly).

Please and thank you!

Damp bunning is another option that can be really healthy and moisturizing for the hair.

holothuroidea
November 15th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Well honestly I do both every now and then and my hair is pretty healthy!

Show off!:D

My hair breaks when I look at it wrong.

headtrip_honey
November 15th, 2011, 11:15 AM
It depends on your hair. If your hair is fragile and prone to breakage then 2 is probably better. You list your hair as F/M, if it's on the finer side I wouldn't touch it with a brush.

If you hair tends to be dry but in general it is fairly strong and damage resistant then 1 would be the better option.

If your hair is both fine and dry I would reconsider washing your hair in the morning. There are so many alternatives to washing every day.

Not for me, sadly. By the end of the day my roots are already crazy greasy. And I tend to be a hot sleeper, so washing at night isn't really an option.

And I've tried stretching washes, so that's out as well.

I do use a very gentle shampoo, and only do scalp washes, so I'm doing the best I can with what I've got. I sometimes skip washes on the weekend, but only if I don't have to go anywhere!

Damp bunning is another option that can be really healthy and moisturizing for the hair.

I've tried it, and sadly, if my hair isn't loose, it doesn't dry AT ALL. It dries really really quickly when loose, but if I damp bun, not only does it NOT dry, but the cowlick at the back of my head acts funny. Made me sad, because bun waves are so pretty.

Thanks for your answers, everyone! I think I'll try the blowdryer. It's definitely quicker.

I'd been avoiding the paddle brush and the blowdryer since I used to use BOTH very aggressively on my hair, and while I'm not sure I damaged it, I figured better safe than sorry.

Re: my hair type - it used to be baby fine, but now I have some medium hairs and even some coarse hairs in there. The overall texture is still fine, though. My hair doesn't seem to break easily (but then again, I do try to be gentle when detangling), although it is fairly dry.

holothuroidea
November 15th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Some like to dry their hair in braids instead of buns.

headtrip_honey
November 15th, 2011, 11:38 AM
If it's not loose, it won't dry. Period. Not just for buns (In fact, I'd say buns are better than braids for my hair).

And anyway, I was specifically asking for something that would enable me to leave the house with my hair dry....not wet and tied back. I like wearing my hair loose. :)

holothuroidea
November 15th, 2011, 12:56 PM
If it's not loose, it won't dry. Period. Not just for buns (In fact, I'd say buns are better than braids for my hair).

And anyway, I was specifically asking for something that would enable me to leave the house with my hair dry....not wet and tied back. I like wearing my hair loose. :)

So sorry :o just throwing ideas out there. I don't really have any advice, then, if you insist on washing your hair in the morning you're going to have to do something to it to dry it if you want to wear it down. Invariably, that something is going to put your hair at risk for some damage. Just pick what you feel has less of a chance of damaging your hair type.

headtrip_honey
November 15th, 2011, 02:00 PM
So sorry :o just throwing ideas out there. I don't really have any advice, then, if you insist on washing your hair in the morning you're going to have to do something to it to dry it if you want to wear it down. Invariably, that something is going to put your hair at risk for some damage. Just pick what you feel has less of a chance of damaging your hair type.

No worries - that's why I asked what you lovely folks thought would be less damaging. I know I'm doing *some* damage. Luckily this is only a winter problem - the rest of the year I can just comb it out and it's good to go by the time I leave.

I really wish I didn't have to wash my hair in the morning, but unfortunately it's my best option.

cmg
November 15th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Neither I would say. You could use the cool setting of the blow dryer and/or a diffuser instead. Direct it in the direction the hair grows and not up against. Lift up your hair with your hands (if you cannot take the heat of the dryer, your hair shouldnt have to either). Use it also in the bottom of the hair, not so much on the outer layers. Those will dry anyway while you eat your breakfast or something. If you have additional problems with static after that, an almost invisible amount of glycerine, conditioner or coconut oil will do wonders. Just stroke lightly once or twice over the hair & lengths with it.

Ha ha mine too.

Not for me, sadly. By the end of the day my roots are already crazy greasy. And I tend to be a hot sleeper, so washing at night isn't really an option.
Same here. And I suppose it isnt easier for a 1/2 hairtype. On the contrary, I suppose. I still wash my hair mostly at nights though. Its more rational for my needs and I get to sleep longer in the morning. I used to remove the reminding moisture with a flat iron in the morning. Not any more, I keep it natural now.

I've tried it, and sadly, if my hair isn't loose, it doesn't dry AT ALL.
Yeap. Same here for the most part. And I do move around alot, not just sitting still in one spot, so its a pest that way. And thats one of the reasons for not washing it in the morning. How do you frost protect your hair when its 40 C below zero outside? *no clue* A braid or bun is a handsfree freezer in my climate. Behh...

headtrip_honey
November 15th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Neither I would say. You could use the cool setting of the blow dryer and/or a diffuser instead. Direct it in the direction the hair grows and not up against. Lift up your hair with your hands (if you cannot take the heat of the dryer, your hair shouldnt have to either). Use it also in the bottom of the hair, not so much on the outer layers. Those will dry anyway while you eat your breakfast or something. If you have additional problems with static after that, an almost invisible amount of glycerine, conditioner or coconut oil will do wonders. Just stroke lightly once or twice over the hair & lengths with it.

Same here. And I suppose it isnt easier for a 1/2 hairtype. On the contrary, I suppose. I still wash my hair mostly at nights though. Its more rational for my needs and I get to sleep longer in the morning. I used to remove the reminding moisture with a flat iron in the morning. Not any more, I keep it natural now.

Yeap. Same here for the most part. And I do move around alot, not just sitting still in one spot, so its a pest that way. And thats one of the reasons for not washing it in the morning. How do you frost protect your hair when its 40 C below zero outside? *no clue* A braid or bun is a handsfree freezer in my climate. Behh...

When I use my hairdryer, I use it on the "warm" setting, on low speed, and I move it around a lot. My hair never feels hot to the touch. And it would be used just as a supplement. I'd let my hair mostly air dry, then finish it up with the hair dryer.

I *used* to wash my hair at night, but when I moved in with my fiance (now husband), I get too hot at night. We keep our bedroom frigid but I'm still an oven. Harumph.

I once left for work with wet hair....ice chunks had formed by the time I got in the car. :eek: Never again.

CarpeDM
November 15th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Show off!:D

Sorry! :(

Well when I do blow dry I use a really nice blow dryer that has a cool setting on it, it is called a Helix and I would highly recommend it if you have to blow dry your hair because it really is awesome and hair friendly. The special cool setting on it doesn't damage your hair. I used to blow dry my hair all the time with a regular hair dryer and I had split ends when my hair was only chin length from the constant heat. So heat really did kill my hair. But this hair dryer is nothing like a regular one. Check out the Helix if you are looking for a more hair friendly dryer http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Tools-2200-Nanosilver-Lightweight/dp/B000S18AMG/ref=sr_1_2?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1321405029&sr=1-2

PS I bought mine on ebay...

holothuroidea
November 15th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Sorry! :(

Well when I do blow dry I use a really nice blow dryer that has a cool setting on it, it is called a Helix and I would highly recommend it if you have to blow dry your hair because it really is awesome and hair friendly. The special cool setting on it doesn't damage your hair. I used to blow dry my hair all the time with a regular hair dryer and I had split ends when my hair was only chin length from the constant heat. So heat really did kill my hair. But this hair dryer is nothing like a regular one. Check out the Helix if you are looking for a more hair friendly dryer http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Tools-2200-Nanosilver-Lightweight/dp/B000S18AMG/ref=sr_1_2?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1321405029&sr=1-2

PS I bought mine on ebay...

Oh don't be sorry! It was meant as a compliment on your hair strength. My sense of humor gets lost sometimes.

That sounds like an excellent blow dryer.

SwordWomanRiona
November 16th, 2011, 02:00 PM

Please and thank you!

I have to say that I always blow-dry, but only my roots. I let the length air-dry while finger-detangling it. My fine hair, even if long, doesn't take a lot of time to air-dry, but I must blow-dry the roots because if I don't, I'll invariably have sore-throats and/or a cold. It's as sad as that :(. But I really haven't noticed a lot of damage from blow-drying my roots, I keep the blow-dryer relatively far from my hair and I move it a lot, so I don't get my hair over-hot or anything. And it never touches my length under my shoulders.
I think some blow-drying isn't bad, as long as you keep the blow-dryer away from your ends and don't get it too near your hair. And if it's cold, I think it's much better to blow-dry a bit and not get ill, really :).

I think that brushing your hair when wet/damp is much more damaging.

Busybee
November 16th, 2011, 02:04 PM
When I use my hairdryer, I use it on the "warm" setting, on low speed, and I move it around a lot. My hair never feels hot to the touch. And it would be used just as a supplement. I'd let my hair mostly air dry, then finish it up with the hair dryer.

I *used* to wash my hair at night, but when I moved in with my fiance (now husband), I get too hot at night. We keep our bedroom frigid but I'm still an oven. Harumph.

I once left for work with wet hair....ice chunks had formed by the time I got in the car. :eek: Never again.

I am the same as you that my hair will not dry if bunned at all. However.... how do women with thinner, barely APL hair CREATE a bun that makes waves without putting in a ponytail band as the first step?

I mean - I could do that too - but then you have the huge "ponytail bend" in your hair. I've never had bun waves without the "bend" from the ponytail band.
.......... How are you getting around this, with fine hair, and not super long locks to boot?:ponder:

If I could get my hair partially dry as HeadTripHoney suggested for herself, I might be willing to bun it, as an alternative to constant winter blow-drying too.

holothuroidea
November 16th, 2011, 02:11 PM
I am the same as you that my hair will not dry if bunned at all. However.... how do women with thinner, barely APL hair CREATE a bun that makes waves without putting in a ponytail band as the first step?

I mean - I could do that too - but then you have the huge "ponytail bend" in your hair. I've never had bun waves without the "bend" from the ponytail band.
.......... How are you getting around this, with fine hair, and not super long locks to boot?:ponder:

I did this when my hair was APL. I'd put my hair in a cinnamon bun by twisting at the nape of the neck and twist and twist all the way down until it twisted over itself then just wrap around and secure the outside with a fabric scrunchie (the kind for little girl's hair, my bun was teeny). I imagine you could put a bun anywhere on your head using this technique.

At that point, though, I didn't care about damaging my hair and I don't know if the twisting was good for it. YMMV.

bloomingrose
December 7th, 2011, 09:19 AM
My hair is about 2.5 inches around in a pony, and it is half wavy and half straight. Sometimes it even has spiral curls behind my ears. The hair on my crown is almost always straight, though.

So my question is this: How do I grow my thin, confused hair down my back gracefully? I want to have a thick hemline, but I don't look right without layers around my face. My hair turns into a weird triangle without them. I've never had my hair longer than 3 or 4 inches past BSL, and my hemline was so thin because of my layers and damage. Does anyone have any advice?

ElusiveMuse
December 7th, 2011, 09:31 AM
My hair is about 2.5 inches around in a pony, and it is half wavy and half straight. Sometimes it even has spiral curls behind my ears. The hair on my crown is almost always straight, though.

So my question is this: How do I grow my thin, confused hair down my back gracefully? I want to have a thick hemline, but I don't look right without layers around my face. My hair turns into a weird triangle without them. I've never had my hair longer than 3 or 4 inches past BSL, and my hemline was so thin because of my layers and damage. Does anyone have any advice?

Once you get closer to waist length, the triangle-hair becomes less of an issue in a lot of cases.

Also, on the issue of bunwaves and the ponytail line - I take my hair down from the bun once the hair that isn't in the twist (the hair smoothed against my head) is dry. I just continue to twirl the ends loosely in the twist from the bun with my fingers until almost dry, and then shake it out and let it finish drying. That both helps it to dry quicker and eliminates the line.

bloomingrose
December 7th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Once you get closer to waist length, the triangle-hair becomes less of an issue in a lot of cases.

Thank you! I guess I'll just have fun wearing it up until then. :D I really want to get good at braiding and pretty updos.

Olesiya
December 8th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I have very thin, fine hair (about shoulderblade length), which I usually wear in a braid for work, and which, when let loose at the end of the day, looks gross, frizzy and crimpy. SO... I have found that Henna in fact does make my hair feel /look thicker. It also stays straighter after brading for a few days after treatment. In addition to that it's more conditioned and overall nicer! I've been using Henna powder but it's such an annoying/messy treatment that I've given it up for a while! Recently tho I found Henna cream color at Whole Foods!! It provides the same benefits and comes in a variety of colors!! I love it. Check it out.. I highly recommend it!

bloomingrose
December 9th, 2011, 11:58 AM
That's awesome! I ordered some henna two days ago, so I hope it gets here soon. I also hope that it makes my hair thicker and shinier. I've never used henna before, so I'm pretty excited.

PrairieRose
December 9th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I have very thin, fine hair (about shoulderblade length), which I usually wear in a braid for work, and which, when let loose at the end of the day, looks gross, frizzy and crimpy. SO... I have found that Henna in fact does make my hair feel /look thicker. It also stays straighter after brading for a few days after treatment. In addition to that it's more conditioned and overall nicer! I've been using Henna powder but it's such an annoying/messy treatment that I've given it up for a while! Recently tho I found Henna cream color at Whole Foods!! It provides the same benefits and comes in a variety of colors!! I love it. Check it out.. I highly recommend it!
I starting using henna for the same reasons. I love the results. My hair is feeling thicker and I love the color!

lynnala
December 10th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I have very thin, fine hair (about shoulderblade length), which I usually wear in a braid for work, and which, when let loose at the end of the day, looks gross, frizzy and crimpy. SO... I have found that Henna in fact does make my hair feel /look thicker. It also stays straighter after brading for a few days after treatment. In addition to that it's more conditioned and overall nicer! I've been using Henna powder but it's such an annoying/messy treatment that I've given it up for a while! Recently tho I found Henna cream color at Whole Foods!! It provides the same benefits and comes in a variety of colors!! I love it. Check it out.. I highly recommend it!What is the name of the product Olesiya? I'd like to check it out!

gazelle
December 10th, 2011, 03:40 PM
My individual hairs are very fine, and they split easily. Henna helped this problem. I am almost sure that they are thicker than before.

KahRistAhn
December 13th, 2011, 01:36 AM
I totally guessed on my hair thickness....based on the fact that a hairdresser once said my hair is "fine but you have quite a lot". I don't know if I believe it. I haven't measured my ponytail, and quite frankly, I'm afraid to!

amanda_the_tall
December 13th, 2011, 08:16 AM
i've found suave volumizing mousse helps make my hair slightly fluffier (i don't blowdry). and it claims to not have any alcohol in it, so it's not supposed to dry your hair out!

highlightedmess
December 13th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Hi everyone,

I have tried searching for tips on stretching washes/reducing shampoo usage but I see a lot of fine haired people saying this does not work for them. I just wanted to let you all know that against all odds it does seem to be working for me.

I started doing the no poo method (BS/ACV version) 3 weeks ago. I have always washed my hair with regular shampoo every single day and I wasn't sure whether I could go a single day without washing, much less without shampoo.

The first two weeks of BS/ACV, I was having to do like one tablespoon of BS to one tablespoon of water and even then my hair was still greasy after a wash. I just tried to wear it up/back and hide it as best I could (my hair isn't very long and I don't have any good accessories) but my hair still looked awful and disgusting for two weeks. I can only imagine what my coworkers thought.

Now my hair has started getting really dry after washing without a trace of grease. I'm trying to do every other day washes and my hair is only slightly greasy the second day.

I had been using some Oscar Blandi dry shampoo which was a huge mess and didn't help at all, but I've since discovered that just rubbing some baby powder in my hands and smoothing it through my scalp area does the trick. I think I might be able to go every third day soon!:D

Lunarise
December 13th, 2011, 04:30 PM
My hair is about shoulder length now...

Does anyone have any suggestions on updoing my fine hair without damaging it? I usually just ponytail it... but I'm afraid I'm damaging it.

natnatsmama
December 13th, 2011, 07:00 PM
I have fine hair. My ponytail is probably as thick as my thumb. My hair is long but I have to work extra hard to not damage it since it is so unforgiving.

holothuroidea
December 13th, 2011, 09:01 PM
My hair is about shoulder length now...

Does anyone have any suggestions on updoing my fine hair without damaging it? I usually just ponytail it... but I'm afraid I'm damaging it.

I started a thread like this a while back and got a lot of really good advice.

The best advice I got is to not wear it the same every day, as it places a lot of wear and tear on one particular spot. If you vary where you put your hair up and what you put it up with, the length will grow out before it has a chance to get damage.

My own hair isn't long enough yet but I've been experimenting with up-dos on my very enthusiastic long and fine haired toddler. If your bun is small enough, about the size of a golf ball (as mine was when it was APL+) you can get away with securing a cinnabun with only one open bobby pin. Hair sticks also work really well as long as they are light.

I would avoid things like claw clips and barrettes as there are movable parts for hair to get stuck in. If hair in your face bothers you, braids or twists at the hair line are good options.

Hope this helps!

highlightedmess
December 14th, 2011, 07:19 PM
I started a thread like this a while back and got a lot of really good advice.

The best advice I got is to not wear it the same every day, as it places a lot of wear and tear on one particular spot. If you vary where you put your hair up and what you put it up with, the length will grow out before it has a chance to get damage.

My own hair isn't long enough yet but I've been experimenting with up-dos on my very enthusiastic long and fine haired toddler. If your bun is small enough, about the size of a golf ball (as mine was when it was APL+) you can get away with securing a cinnabun with only one open bobby pin. Hair sticks also work really well as long as they are light.

I would avoid things like claw clips and barrettes as there are movable parts for hair to get stuck in. If hair in your face bothers you, braids or twists at the hair line are good options.

Hope this helps!

I've seen quite a few threads and articles about various updo/braid/bun methods. Is there any sort of list out there of the ones that are suitable for fine/thin hair? I have zero talent at styling my hair. I tend to avoid doing it because its so hard to get my hair to not look flat and gross with gaps where you can see my scalp. If anyone has any advice on how to overcome this problem that would be wonderful! TIA :D

holothuroidea
December 14th, 2011, 09:28 PM
I've seen quite a few threads and articles about various updo/braid/bun methods. Is there any sort of list out there of the ones that are suitable for fine/thin hair? I have zero talent at styling my hair. I tend to avoid doing it because its so hard to get my hair to not look flat and gross with gaps where you can see my scalp. If anyone has any advice on how to overcome this problem that would be wonderful! TIA :D

I think you might like looser updos, they are sometimes referred to as "messy" but I don't think they look messy on thin, fine hair at all.

Most updos can be as loose as you want them, just instead of pulling your hair back to put it up, sort of gently lift it. Cinnabuns and the "lazy hair stick wrap" are my favorites. I think you can just google them and youtube will generously produce videos for you.

If you want a really sleek updo, BBB's are good at filling in those gaps if you use them to smooth your hair before you put it up.

constructamane
December 16th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Me too.....I agree with minimal handling. Processing, when not being trimmed every 1-2 mo, makes my hair like straw! Using a detangler and fingers to take out knots, or S&D to prevent breakage seems to be the way to go. I do condition, using amount to coincide with length, and rinse, rinse, rinse......I agree otherwise it flattens the hair more!

I try to dry naturally, but I do use a heat defense spray....again I use just a few sprays, and blow dry when it is almost dry, to add volume. You also can use Jumbo sponge rollers to add volume as well (They do not damage the hair). And yes.....I also wash my hair almost daily to keep volume.

KahRistAhn
December 16th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Just wanted to update that I measured my ponytail and got about 2.75". I do have layers and bangs, soo maybe things will get thincker as I continue my LHC journey. :)

Miss Catrina
December 16th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Does anyone else here feel like half-up styles just don't work for you? I tried them when my hair was APL, and it just left so little hair still hanging down. :(

holothuroidea
December 16th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Does anyone else here feel like half-up styles just don't work for you? I tried them when my hair was APL, and it just left so little hair still hanging down. :(

AAhh... I tried half ups the last time my hair was long and it reminded me of the fringe on a motorcycle jacket. Not cute.

KahRistAhn
December 16th, 2011, 09:40 PM

Kinda...I haven't really tried them since starting my healthy-hair-journey, but every time I did before, I felt like my hair was too floaty and fuzzy so I would always take it down.

ALSO! I have a question....what's the difference between "fine" and "baby fine" hair, and how do you know which one you have? :confused:

holothuroidea
December 16th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Kinda...I haven't really tried them since starting my healthy-hair-journey, but every time I did before, I felt like my hair was too floaty and fuzzy so I would always take it down.

ALSO! I have a question....what's the difference between "fine" and "baby fine" hair, and how do you know which one you have? :confused:

I think "baby fine" is just another way of saying really fine.

Although, I think it's a misnomer. Baby's do have finer hair, but individual babies' hair varies in texture just like everyone else.

Also, my second baby has way coarser hair than I do.

SapphiraSilver
December 17th, 2011, 05:09 AM
I have heard that dry shampoo gives the hair more volume between washes, but you have to find the right one for you. I have tried a few and so far, I have not experienced the more volume that I have heard it gives. Does anyone here have any luck with Dry Shampoo?

lynnala
December 17th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I have heard that dry shampoo gives the hair more volume between washes, but you have to find the right one for you. I have tried a few and so far, I have not experienced the more volume that I have heard it gives. Does anyone here have any luck with Dry Shampoo?I think I mentioned it on this thread, but I'm not sure. I just use cosmetic grade rice powder between washes. Your hair is sort of the same color as mine, the rice powder doesn't show a bit and works great. I just rub some in my palms and then work it into my hair like I'm shampooing, then brush the excess out. Works like a charm! And as an extra treat, I added a little powdered incense to mine so my hair smells really good too. :cheese:

constructamane
December 17th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Jeni......Your hair is exactly how I hope my hair is when it is long......I figured length will help adjust for the lack of volume of my fine hair. Your hair is just right!

cmg
December 17th, 2011, 04:04 PM
SapphiraSilver: Everytime a dry shampoo removes the hair oils your previously flat hair rises somewhat. Or should I say poofs, if you are a curlyhead. Especially if brushing is involved. Osis is not a dry shampoo, but you might try using it as such. I does RISE your hair in any fashion you want. It really works!
Love your hair color BTW

Lynnala: Where do you buy your rice powder? I once got a package of cosmetic grade but I would never pay the price for it myself. It cost something like 35-40 dollars and contained no more than a couple of spoonful. Do you know any cheaper source perhaps?

girlcat36
December 17th, 2011, 04:11 PM

I always thought that I had fine hair, and that my DD had medium hair. One day she told me that her stylists always say that she has fine hair! If her hair is fine, that means my hair must be babyfine since mine is a lot finer than hers. She has fine hair, but it doesn't seem as weighty or floaty as mine.
That's the reason I say that mine is babyfine. Also, my hair is alot like the hair you would typically see on a three year old.

cmg
December 17th, 2011, 04:17 PM
I think this describes my hair too, except for the very damaged parts. But then again I love some of them - the fuzzely flyway ones that I have around my crown area. They tell me that my hair is growing back where it was previously damaged :) Perhaps in a few months they actually contribute to widening my ponytail *dreaming of wonderful hair future*

Miss Catrina
December 17th, 2011, 10:49 PM
I've been using a baby brush and diggin' it - except that it looks dirty very easily. The bristles are white plastic, which means lint (which I apparently carry all over my hair) gets all throughout it, and I think my toning shampoo or rooibos rinses have made them kind of yellow. It doesn't matter, but.... I like my supplies to be pretty. :p