PDA

View Full Version : Thin/Fine Hair Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

dogzdinner
September 17th, 2015, 05:39 AM
Hair forks make mine look a lot bigger (rather than hair sticks) and they are only two-prong forks.
Ive given up with hair forks for now. My hair isnt long enough to do loose loops on buns so they always end up so compacted together that its difficult to shove a two-pronged fork through it! I tend to stick with acrylic sticks.
As to buns, disc buns are easy to do at shorter lengths although they do look teeny and wee for us fineys!!

SwordWomanRiona
September 17th, 2015, 07:09 AM
Self-conscious!?! Your hair is ridiculously amazing! I would kill for that kind of hair! Don't make us jealous lol :thud: I've personally never had trouble with static as I live in a very humid and sunny place where the people I know don't have true static problems, but during "winter" one of my friends used to use dryer sheets to calm static after she straightened her hair so that may help when your hair is air-dried but I have no ideas or advice for you from my own personal experience, sorry...

Sorry for the belated reply! Thank you for your kinds words :flower: (I am dealing with some anaemia-related shedding and a thinner hemline (due to that and to wanting to get to knee before maintaining) that I do want to thicken, though xD)

I was wondering if any of our fine hair ladies use stying products? My routine is wash, condition just the ends, rinse, vinegar rinse, Camelia oil and Nightbloomings Freya salve on damp ends. After all of that, I am not sure if I should use a styling product or if they would be too much for fine/thin hair? Also, after a clarifying shampoo, do you do a moisturizing treatment? I have to wash my hair every two days.

I use styling products sporadically, and mostly when I cosplay: hair gel, aloe vera gel, salt-sea spray and, only when it's absolutely necessary, hairspray. Otherwise my routine is shampoo + occasional tea rinse as a leave-in + either aloe vera gel or Nightblooming panacea in the ends. No conditioner, hardly any oiling (greasy roots, normal length and ends), dry shampoo twice a week.

For you low porosity fineys - what do you do in terms of leave-ins? I recently figured I'd learn about hair porosity and realized how important it is to know and work with for hair care! How my hair behaves makes a lot more sense now that I know its porosity which is neat. I cut cones completely and it'd helped the condition of my hair a lot, and a sulfate shampoo. I use MO as a leave in to seal in whatever moisture it has but it still tends to look dry and dull. What do you all use to make your hair more moisturized and sleek?

As leave-ins I have tried Nightblooming panacea, aloe vera gel, tea rinses, hibiscus rinses, and jojoba oil (sporadically).

alishaxmarie
September 17th, 2015, 08:56 AM
Sorry for the belated reply! Thank you for your kinds words :flower: (I am dealing with some anaemia-related shedding and a thinner hemline (due to that and to wanting to get to knee before maintaining) that I do want to thicken, though xD)

I use styling products sporadically, and mostly when I cosplay: hair gel, aloe vera gel, salt-sea spray and, only when it's absolutely necessary, hairspray. Otherwise my routine is shampoo + occasional tea rinse as a leave-in + either aloe vera gel or Nightblooming panacea in the ends. No conditioner, hardly any oiling (greasy roots, normal length and ends), dry shampoo twice a week.

As leave-ins I have tried Nightblooming panacea, aloe vera gel, tea rinses, hibiscus rinses, and jojoba oil (sporadically).

YOU NEVER USE CONDITIONER!?!? I'm so jealous! My hair is way too dry to even dream of that but it's amazing that you could grow so long and not go insane from tangling issues, my hair is splitting at the mere idea of going conditioner-free.

I haven't tried the oil rinse out method in awhile so I did that yesterday with grapeseed oil (first time I used that as more than a leave-in after a shower) and my hair feels fantastic! It's so supple and soft, I don't remember it feeling this moisturized any of the other times I did the oil rinse out method (although I had only tried fractionated coconut oil before). My hair was also way easier to dutch braid than it usually is (because my ends tends to stick together regardless of clarifying) so that's another bonus :)

Linguaphilia
September 17th, 2015, 10:07 AM
SwordWomanRiona, I'm curious: why do you not use conditioner? I quit using conditioner a month or so ago because the formula of my trusted one changed and now contains a lot of glycerin... I discovered that oiling wet (not dripping hair) yields the same results if not much better results. I guess you are doing the same act of locking moisture with those non-oily leave-ins. I haven't ever tried aloe vera gel to do this. Why do you not use oils and opt for other things?

Silverbrumby
September 17th, 2015, 10:50 AM
I'm going to try the aloe.
I recently went back on strict curly girl, so no more combing at all. I have become quite concerned about the amount of hair coming out in the shower :(
I gave up the tangle teezer cold turkey about 4 months ago, but it take a while to see that if helps me retain any length.

If you feel like trying something more extreme I use a dermal roller on my scalp after washing every 3 weeks. It helped cut down on the shedding and give me back thickness. But it was slow. The growing back.

SwordWomanRiona
September 17th, 2015, 11:55 AM
YOU NEVER USE CONDITIONER!?!? I'm so jealous! My hair is way too dry to even dream of that but it's amazing that you could grow so long and not go insane from tangling issues, my hair is splitting at the mere idea of going conditioner-free.

I haven't tried the oil rinse out method in awhile so I did that yesterday with grapeseed oil (first time I used that as more than a leave-in after a shower) and my hair feels fantastic! It's so supple and soft, I don't remember it feeling this moisturized any of the other times I did the oil rinse out method (although I had only tried fractionated coconut oil before). My hair was also way easier to dutch braid than it usually is (because my ends tends to stick together regardless of clarifying) so that's another bonus :)

Conditioner causes a lot of build-up in my hair and leaves my hair with zero volume (not that it usually has a lot xD) and feeling greasy and stringy, so I never use it, no :). I don't have dryness issues, that I know of, so my hair doesn't seem to need it...My ends do love Nightblooming Panacea, though :) And when it comes to detangling, I find that Klorane's sweet almond shampoo helps me a lot, so it's become my normal shampoo again (after experimenting for a while). I do have my share of splits, though, I think that might be one of the woes of fine-textured delicate hair, or maybe it's that I procrastinate a lot when it comes to S&D :lol:!

SwordWomanRiona
September 17th, 2015, 12:11 PM
SwordWomanRiona, I'm curious: why do you not use conditioner? I quit using conditioner a month or so ago because the formula of my trusted one changed and now contains a lot of glycerin... I discovered that oiling wet (not dripping hair) yields the same results if not much better results. I guess you are doing the same act of locking moisture with those non-oily leave-ins. I haven't ever tried aloe vera gel to do this. Why do you not use oils and opt for other things?

Well, cones (and glycerin) simply hate me (or my hair, rather xD) :lol: Conditioners in general, even if they are cone-free, tend to leave my hair stringy, oily and with no volume (not that my hair is that voluminous to start with, but here I'm talking about 0% volume). An awful build-up that stays in my hair until I wash it again. So I guess my hair doesn't need conditioner...

I have oily roots and a normal length and ends, and the length doesn't seem to get dry if I leave it alone (unless I apply a lot of sea-salt spray when I want long-lasting heatless curls), so my routine is just shampoo and sporadical leave-ins such as aloe vera and panacea (and they're sporadical partly because I've been procrastinating quite a lot lately when it comes to haircare...the ends don't seem to ever get dry unless I go for heatless curls, curiously enough, so I'm more worried about trying to prevent splits and the like when it comes to moisturizing leave-ins).

As for oils, I do use jojoba/sweet-almond oil to thoroughly oil the ends every time I go for heatless waves/curls, that tends to leave my ends a bit frizzy and dry, and an overnight oiling usually does the trick :). But apart from that, my hair doesn't seem to need a lot of oil, every time I oil my post shower lower length and ends (even if it's a small amount), I have to sport an oily length for two days minimum, so now I only oil only when the ends need it and I'm sure they'll absorb it :) So no oiling wet for me, either xD

So my hair does seem to have trouble absorbing most moisturizing products, somehow (and my roots definitely have a good excess of 'moisture' going on xD)...Aloe vera gel and panacea are the moisture leave-ins that don't leave residue on my hair and the ones which my hair seems to like, so that's why I've been opting for those :)

Groovy Granny
September 18th, 2015, 12:23 PM
I am reposting this with Luluj's permission ~ watch the whole video for her entire message (you may need headphones as I did)

Wonderful support and inspiration from model Cindy Joseph; she will surprise you (as she did me) ;)

Here is the video where she talks about the cut....

http://blog.boombycindyjoseph.com/revealing-real-hair/

ETA: Link to OP (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=16951&page=2012&p=3086818&viewfull=1#post3086818)

Silverbrumby
September 18th, 2015, 01:38 PM
Conditioner causes a lot of build-up in my hair and leaves my hair with zero volume (not that it usually has a lot xD) and feeling greasy and stringy, so I never use it, no :). I don't have dryness issues, that I know of, so my hair doesn't seem to need it...My ends do love Nightblooming Panacea, though :) And when it comes to detangling, I find that Klorane's sweet almond shampoo helps me a lot, so it's become my normal shampoo again (after experimenting for a while). I do have my share of splits, though, I think that might be one of the woes of fine-textured delicate hair, or maybe it's that I procrastinate a lot when it comes to S&D :lol:!

Thank you SwordWomanRiona. I just ordered Nightblooming Panacea on Etsy. I can't wait to try it. I gave up conditioner a month ago and my hair feels so much better. It's not that long my hair and it's much shinier now and feels less plastic. I was thinking about something for the ends so I'm excited to try this.

Inching Along
September 18th, 2015, 02:05 PM
I am reposting this with Luluj's permission ~ watch the whole video for her entire message (you may need headphones as I did)

Wonderful support and inspiration from model Cindy Joseph; she will surprise you (as she did me) ;)

Wow! Thank you for sharing this! She is darling.

Groovy Granny
September 18th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Wow! Thank you for sharing this! She is darling.

I thought of you ;)
Glad you liked it!

Inching Along
September 18th, 2015, 02:15 PM
I thought of you ;)
Glad you liked it!

Where's the Like button? :D

Groovy Granny
September 18th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Where's the Like button? :D

I know right?! lol
I miss having them ;)
Her other vlogs look interesting too so I bookmarked her site to go back to it :)

Inching Along
September 18th, 2015, 05:45 PM
I know right?! lol
I miss having them ;)
Her other vlogs look interesting too so I bookmarked her site to go back to it :)

Yep!
I'll have to visit again, too. I hope she will consider growing out her own hair. It's such a pretty color.

Groovy Granny
September 18th, 2015, 05:52 PM
It was....but it seems she is loving her shorter style...which looks great on her!

Inching Along
September 18th, 2015, 06:03 PM
It does! And I love the color!

Groovy Granny
September 18th, 2015, 06:04 PM
It does! And I love the color!

Yeah...hers is a mix of everything possible lol

Silverbrumby
September 18th, 2015, 08:06 PM
I thought of you ;)
Glad you liked it!

Great video. Love what you have. Love yourself.

roseomalley
September 18th, 2015, 09:29 PM
Thank you for posting the video! It was nice to see her beautiful, real hair.

jrmviola
September 29th, 2015, 05:37 PM
Recently sectioned the front half of my hair out (ear to ear) and discovered i have practically nothing. A part line above one eye was a radius of "microscopic" and "half an inch" And most of what i had was either waist length or collarbone length, nothing in between, absolutely none of it was fingertip (my current overall length). And had already fairy-tailed. To say i was disappointed is an understatement, I guess I know where my hair disappeared from last fall. Its really hard to face my next shed and enjoy what I have when it keeps disappearing every year. And im only 31! ARG!

roseomalley
September 29th, 2015, 07:13 PM
Jrmviola, I am sorry you had such a big shed from the front area. I know that is my thinnest section, but I am older than you by a lot. I clued into my thinnest area when my bangs became see through fringe. Growing whatever is left of them out now. You are still young and there is a good chance you may get new growth rather than another, big shed. xxx

lunasea
September 29th, 2015, 09:31 PM
Rose, your hair is such a beautiful color and its grown so much since you joined!

Mirabele
September 30th, 2015, 06:49 AM
hello everybody, a newbie here with a thin fine hair. I believed for so long that i can not have long hair, because mine are so fine and thin...i believed that short hairstyles are best for masking fine and thin and the lack of volume...my hair is are also very flat and loose volume easily, not that i have much volume to start with. only lately i am starting to accept my hair as it is and see the positive side (no tangles, shine in healthy hair, normal growth rate, suits my face and my personality). i am growing out bleached and highlighted hair now. i started to realize i want long hair and started to believe i can have it with proper care. started oiling about a month ago and enjoying it a lot. i also changed my shampoos to sls free and my conditioners to cones free. i am trying to learn to "know" my hair and "listen" to what it wants, whether it is moisture, oils or something else. i quited blow drying as well.
my scalp is oily and ends are dry. i wash every second day. i wear my hair down the first day and the second day my roots are greasy, so i usually keep my hair up in a ponytail. i haven't found any nice hairstyle that i would like to wear myself. ponytail is the easiest to make but also very boring. i am not a big fan of buns, they aren't my style, except for the messy ones, but then i need some styling products and teasing to keep the hold, not something that i want to do anymore. braids look silly on me, with that thickness of a child. my hair is slippery (especially my healthy hair, not the bleached part) so that also eliminates a lot of messy braids hairstyles that i would like to wear. i guess i am looking for a styling product without cones that would give me some hold and some volume without further damaging my hair.

UP Lisa
September 30th, 2015, 07:37 AM
Recently sectioned the front half of my hair out (ear to ear) and discovered i have practically nothing. A part line above one eye was a radius of "microscopic" and "half an inch" And most of what i had was either waist length or collarbone length, nothing in between, absolutely none of it was fingertip (my current overall length). And had already fairy-tailed. To say i was disappointed is an understatement, I guess I know where my hair disappeared from last fall. Its really hard to face my next shed and enjoy what I have when it keeps disappearing every year. And im only 31! ARG!

Sorry if you have already answered this. Have you been having health problems that are causing hair loss?

teal
September 30th, 2015, 09:34 AM
hello everybody, a newbie here with a thin fine hair. I believed for so long that i can not have long hair, because mine are so fine and thin...i believed that short hairstyles are best for masking fine and thin and the lack of volume...my hair is are also very flat and loose volume easily, not that i have much volume to start with. only lately i am starting to accept my hair as it is and see the positive side (no tangles, shine in healthy hair, normal growth rate, suits my face and my personality). i am growing out bleached and highlighted hair now. i started to realize i want long hair and started to believe i can have it with proper care. started oiling about a month ago and enjoying it a lot. i also changed my shampoos to sls free and my conditioners to cones free. i am trying to learn to "know" my hair and "listen" to what it wants, whether it is moisture, oils or something else. i quited blow drying as well.
my scalp is oily and ends are dry. i wash every second day. i wear my hair down the first day and the second day my roots are greasy, so i usually keep my hair up in a ponytail. i haven't found any nice hairstyle that i would like to wear myself. ponytail is the easiest to make but also very boring. i am not a big fan of buns, they aren't my style, except for the messy ones, but then i need some styling products and teasing to keep the hold, not something that i want to do anymore. braids look silly on me, with that thickness of a child. my hair is slippery (especially my healthy hair, not the bleached part) so that also eliminates a lot of messy braids hairstyles that i would like to wear. i guess i am looking for a styling product without cones that would give me some hold and some volume without further damaging my hair.

Welcome, Mirabele! :hifive:

I haven't got any recommendations on styling products, but I feel the same way about my braid. It's very thin and I often see children with thicker braids.

rags
September 30th, 2015, 10:49 AM
My braids were microscopic BEFORE my shed, so now they will be invisible! LOL. I don't care, I like them and I wear them (when my hair is long enough - it's only about collarbone right now). When it gets longer again, the braids will reappear! I know it's not everyone's style to not care what others think - but I find it really helps me. Heck, I only wear skirts or dresses (no pants), and half the time I'm on a cane. I guess what my hair is doing is probably the least of what people are noticing! :p

Sorry about the ramble. Ahem. Anyway, a lot of people find aloe vera gel to be very helpful for hold when braiding. I personally tend to do braids right before a wash and just put some oil on them - gives them lots of time to soak it up and also makes them smoother and hold better (which of course makes them look even smaller, but oh well).

Mirabele, you can also "pancake" your braids if you like that look.

UP Lisa
September 30th, 2015, 10:56 AM
How do you "pancake"?

rags
September 30th, 2015, 11:02 AM
It means pulling out the sides of the "bumps" to make them look larger. It just looks horrible on mine, as mine are actually flat - so I think it usually makes it look worse. Plus, my slippery hair tends to escape easier!

I've no idea who this is - it just came up when I did a search :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1shoVSRncEE

UP Lisa
September 30th, 2015, 11:37 AM
It means pulling out the sides of the "bumps" to make them look larger. It just looks horrible on mine, as mine are actually flat - so I think it usually makes it look worse. Plus, my slippery hair tends to escape easier!

I've no idea who this is - it just came up when I did a search :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1shoVSRncEE

I've seen that, but I think it was called something else. I've never actually tried it.

roseomalley
September 30th, 2015, 02:21 PM
Rags, in so many ways we are a like. My braids are tiny, but I love them. I only wear skirts and dresses, because I feel so feminine in them. (Also, I find them more comfortable). I use a cane all the time now. It has bright, pink roses on it. I cut fringe bangs, but I have decided not to keep them, despite my daughter and sister saying that they make me look better when my hair is up. I just felt that every time I rolled them or blew them dry with cool air, I was pulling out front hair that I could not afford to lose. They are so wispy, I will not miss them. They have grown down to the bottom of my nose now. Be gone bangs. :magic:

roseomalley
September 30th, 2015, 02:36 PM
:waving::waving:
Rose, your hair is such a beautiful color and its grown so much since you joined!

Hi Lunasea,
I had a growth spurt this summer. I reached BSL and even had a little trim. I think my hair likes summer. Thank you for noticing my growth!

vpatt
September 30th, 2015, 02:40 PM
I wonder if if many of you use conditioner? I have just started using it and suspect it is causing more oiliness due to my fine hair and oily scalp......I am not going to use it for a while and see what happens.

Maybe I should say that my hair was short and bleached for years and didn't seem oily then. Now I am letting it grow and I was using shampoo bars with no conditioner. When I started using shampoo I bought the corresponding conditioner. I can use oil or conditioner before washing without any issues. I wondered if others find after shampoo conditioning to leave hair more oily. Thanks.

Groovy Granny
September 30th, 2015, 02:48 PM
I use Joico moisture on my entire length.
I apply a small amount on my ends and work it in, then I rake my fingers through my hair from scalp to the ends with the residue on my hands,and rinse it out.

I also use Shea Moisture Raw Butter conditioner; just a pea sized dab on my damp ends after 15 min in a turban.

By the end of day 3-4 after a shampoo (not counting my shampoo day), I start to feel like I need a shampoo.
My scalp feels heavy and has no lift...not necessarily oily looking/feeling.

ETA: I switched to CO (modified) with just a drop or 2 of shampoo diluted with conditioner to shampoo and conditioner on the ends/rinse.
Second co ditioner on ends with a wee bit raked onto my roots/rinse.

I also stopped the Shea Moisture products; the argan oil stained my hair :(

Still washing every 3-4 days

rags
September 30th, 2015, 03:31 PM
Rags, in so many ways we are a like. My braids are tiny, but I love them. I only wear skirts and dresses, because I feel so feminine in them. (Also, I find them more comfortable). I use a cane all the time now. It has bright, pink roses on it. I cut fringe bangs, but I have decided not to keep them, despite my daughter and sister saying that they make me look better when my hair is up. I just felt that every time I rolled them or blew them dry with cool air, I was pulling out front hair that I could not afford to lose. They are so wispy, I will not miss them. They have grown down to the bottom of my nose now. Be gone bangs. :magic:

Rose, I too find skirts more comfortable! My cane use is increasing - mine is purple! :p Yeah, my daughter likes the bangs too when my hair is up but they are going. We ARE a lot alike! Plus, they tend to catch in my glasses and that pulls out hair I can't afford to lose! (When they are long, they are always back so they don't catch. My version of "down" is a half-up when my hair is long. LOL)

I wonder if if many of you use conditioner? I have just started using it and suspect it is causing more oiliness due to my fine hair and oily scalp......I am not going to use it for a while and see what happens.

I do use conditioner because my silvers are much more dry than my colored hair still and they NEED it. Plus 1c/2a fine just seems to mean tangles. What I do tend to do is use it only on the ends and not use a lot of cones (cones will make it more oily quite fast for me!). I'll use a leave-in with cones, but my main conditioner doesn't contain it, and when my hair is longer I go 3-4 days easily before it looks oily.

roseomalley
September 30th, 2015, 06:04 PM

Vpatt, I have an oily scalp. I use conditioner on my ends only (starting two inches below my ears) every time I shampoo (every two days). I also use a pea-sized drop of Simply Organic Bangs and Ends leave-in conditioner on the very tips of my ends on towel-dried hair. Anything more than that or placed closer to my scalp will cause an oily mess. I am strange, my scalp and my skin are still oily, even though I am almost seventy.

AutobotsAttack
September 30th, 2015, 06:13 PM
I mainly just make sure to condition my hair a lot. At least everyday, just so that my fine hair can keep its elasticity.

roseomalley
September 30th, 2015, 06:14 PM
[QUOTE=rags;3093626]Rose, I too find skirts more comfortable! My cane use is increasing - mine is purple! :p Yeah, my daughter likes the bangs too when my hair is up but they are going. We ARE a lot alike! Plus, they tend to catch in my glasses and that pulls out hair I can't afford to lose! (When they are long, they are always back so they don't catch. My version of "down" is a half-up when my hair is long. LOL)

My glasses pull out bang hair, too. Cannot abide that.
So far, I have quieted my daughter's bang rants by saying they are too hot in the summer. The bangs just get very limp. Now that fall has arrived, this excuse will no longer work. My sister gets quite outspoken and rude when my hair is up with no bangs. I love her, but I do not remember asking her opinion.

RavenRose
September 30th, 2015, 06:30 PM
I too wear lots of skirts, which is very uncommon for others my age (early 30s). The are pretty and feminine, plus they actually stay at my waist instead of riding down constantly.

I use conditioner! I avoid it on my scalp and crown because of the super greasiness. But my length needs it for moisture and slip, otherwise it becomes a dry tangley mess. I also use a leave in, followed by coconut oil on my very abused ends. Before the perm and recent bleachings, while I was using henna, If I skipped conditioner on occasion my hair was okay even at BSL, but now it demands babying.

vpatt
September 30th, 2015, 07:14 PM
Thank you all so much!! I will read thru all your posts again tomorrow...I'm getting tired now, lol.

Rose, I will be 65 in 12 days and still have an oily scalp. Hopefully as my hair grows that may help some.

Also I have growing out bangs that still catch in my glasses sometimes. I cringe when it happens.....they are catching less as they grow.

Again, thanks to everyone for your responses. I love this site!!

jrmviola
September 30th, 2015, 07:25 PM
Thank you Roseomalley i certainly hope they grow back. Some did from last fall but i think that was from mechanical damage of wearing my hair in a side part too much...

UP Lisa- Its possible since I haven't been to the doctor.... ever? for a non emergency. But I dont have any other symptoms that i can fathom that would attribute to that much hair loss. Some days I can just accept it and others im like a hamster trying to figure things out without going to the doctor.

The only other thing i can think of is I have some sort of extreme mechanical damage and my hair is just delicate to begin with. Its frustrating. Also my hair is like my dad and his is like some ansestor way way way far back (like genetic throwback far back), so I could have female hair-loss that is genetic, but because its so far back, who knows?

Thanks for the kind comments i feel better about my hair today :)

Frankenstein
October 1st, 2015, 02:50 PM
How many of my fellow fine/thin hairs suffer from the curse of pathetic heatless waves? My hair will not seem to hold bun/braid waves no matter what. I'll take it down and have nice waves for a few minutes then they just fall flat. Products don't even help and only make my hair gunky. The only way I've ever been able to create waves that will stay is by making a bunch of small braids and keeping them in for at least half a day, but I don't have the time or patience. Ah well, it is what it is :p I'm okay with having flat, limp somewhat-waves but some bigger ones every once in a while would be nice.

teal
October 1st, 2015, 02:58 PM
How many of my fellow fine/thin hairs suffer from the curse of pathetic heatless waves? My hair will not seem to hold bun/braid waves no matter what. I'll take it down and have nice waves for a few minutes then they just fall flat. Products don't even help and only make my hair gunky. The only way I've ever been able to create waves that will stay is by making a bunch of small braids and keeping them in for at least half a day, but I don't have the time or patience. Ah well, it is what it is :p I'm okay with having flat, limp somewhat-waves but some bigger ones every once in a while would be nice.

Yup, that's me! The only thing that has worked, besides a mountain of product, is to make a tight braid and leave it in for days on end... not exactly what I'd call top-notch advice. :lol:

That reminds me. I think it may be time to see if someone else can make use of my Caruso steam rollers. I can't get them to work in my hair!

RavenRose
October 1st, 2015, 03:53 PM

I can get curls to last 2 days if I do an overnight pin curl wet set. My hair must be very saturated (towel dry from shower only works) I also need to use some sort of setting gel- A Flax seed gel will get me bouncy curls in the morning if I don't brush them out, just finger comb, and if I don't mess with them to much and use a sleep cap I will have beachy waves the next day. The curls can have more definition if I re-pin them up at night. If I use a commercial gel mixed with water (1:3), and use a bit of hair spray to fix the curls in the morning the bouncy curls will last almost 2 days, and can be gently brushed at the end of the day, but then crunchy dry hair. Either way it takes almost 45 mins to put up in pin curls, and then have to sleep in them, so it is not something I do often.

rags
October 1st, 2015, 04:36 PM
Like RavenRose , the only way I can do heatless curls is to start with wet hair. I usually do French/Dutch braids, or else rag curls when I curl my hair. I can't use many styling products, but I usually get one good day out of them, and then frizzy volume that is fantastic for buns! I like TorrinPaige's heatless curls because the method is quick and easy on my hands.

Stephanie
October 1st, 2015, 07:57 PM
Heatless curls don't stay for ANYthing on me. The best luck I've had is after a deep clarifying and a light conditioning with no leave-in. I put my barely damp hair up in a bun at bedtime and kept it up until after I was dressed and makeup on. It was accidental (meaning, I didn't expect the curls), but the curls stayed for...wait for it...two hours! I felt that was success. :lol:

maria_asa
October 1st, 2015, 11:48 PM
No curls, heat less or other methods, stay in my hair. I can get some decent braid waves but as soon as I move just a little bit they turn into tangled frizz. When I was young, in the 80s I even tried to perm my hair but even though I had two perms within one week (my poor, poor hair shudder:) I still had no curls.

I can get some pretty decent bun waves that stay for an hour or so but other than that my hair does love to take the shape of weird kinks and angles and these can stay for days without problems. :rolleyes:

rags
October 2nd, 2015, 07:13 AM
Oh, mine do the "turn into tangled frizz" a lot too, Maria_asa! (Good to see you around, btw! :flower:). But they do make beautiful curls when I take them out, and on low humidity days I can keep them that way.

But then I'm about a 2a/2b, typed as a 1c/2a because mine will comb right out if I comb when wet (two or three times). Or if I use cones. So mine are maybe more disposed to taking on curl than 1 hair is. I know when my hair was 1a (all of my life until the first huge medication shed when I lost well over half my hair and it grew back in wavy!), it wouldn't hold a curl for anything longer than a couple of hours.

valkyrje
October 2nd, 2015, 08:48 AM
Heatless waves don't work for me either. The horrible shape left after undoing a high ponytail is the only thing that has stayed on my hair more or less permanently for a few terrifying hours. :rolleyes:

Amapola
October 2nd, 2015, 08:50 AM
My hair will not curl. There are times when bun waves will stay in for **nearly** as long as Stephanie's. :lol: I used to try perms too; didn't work. So what to do? In my case it was embrace the hair I have and quit fooling myself I could make it look like a model in a commercial.

I do still love to see curls though. I went to a celebration at the Pueblo the other day (Feast of San Geronimo) and saw lots and lots of straight hair that the person had curled on the ends. It looked really cool, but my hair won't do that. I wore a paranda and called it good. :D

RavenRose
October 2nd, 2015, 09:16 AM
I too had a perm that did nothing. The salon gave me a second one on the house for hard to perm hair, that gave me some curls, but they were fragile and took a lot of scrunching and product to make them not be anything other than a tangled mess. And the manipulation and product caused quite a lot of damage.

Heated curls never worked for me. I would be lucky to keep the curls for 20 minutes, more often they were pin straight by the time I finished the other half of my head.

Arctic
October 2nd, 2015, 09:33 AM
While my hair does take heatless curls easily, the don't work for me about 70-80 % of the time. Mostly because of how sparse my hair is, I think, causing weird scalp cleavages and only few methods can tame my double crown area (but only heat does so reliably). Also too often the heatless curls turn to be plain messy and ugly - though I am sure this is for the big part a user error, and with practice I'd get better. But there is no motivation to keep practicing with the lousy, unreliable results - I want to feel good about how I looks and most of the times the heatless curls I've tried simply make me feel ugly. It's difficult to really explain, how these curls can cause me to perceive my face so differently, but they do.

The best heatless curls I reliably get are from crown braids, french braids of all kinds, and one cinnabun at the crown of my head. Sock curls turned out to be nice too BUT they couldn't tame my double crown. Headband method makes awesome curls aroun my face, but the rest of the hair looks bad.

There is also the additional requirement I have: the heatless curling methods need to such that I can pop outdoors with them on my hair without feeling frumpy (dog walking during evenings, nights and mornings).

LegoCaltrops
October 2nd, 2015, 01:37 PM
Hello, may I join?
I have fairly thin hair. Moderately thick individual hairs, but not masses of it. I don't do that well with a BBB - & I see that's a common theme, so I may restrict it's use to occasional conditioning before bed & such.

I'm really hoping I can learn some good haircare tips & keep my hair in better condition this time. Last time it was long, I eventually got so discouraged by how thin it was, especially at the end, I got it all cut off.

I'm also blessed with oily skin, so my hair goes flat super fast. I say blessed, because they say people with oily skin don't get wrinkles as young. There has to be a silver lining, right...?

turtlelover
October 2nd, 2015, 04:31 PM
De-Constructed Texture Tease by Garnier is my new cheap holy grail product. Love this stuff for giving a little bit of root lift when the top of my hair starts to feel flat and heavy, which is in NO time at all since I get greasy roots very quickly. I think a lot of fine haired people would like this stuff.

vpatt
October 2nd, 2015, 05:20 PM
De-Constructed Texture Tease by Garnier is my new cheap holy grail product. Love this stuff for giving a little bit of root lift when the top of my hair starts to feel flat and heavy, which is in NO time at all since I get greasy roots very quickly. I think a lot of fine haired people would like this stuff.

This sounds interesting, I may have to check.it out. Does your hair feel clean when you use it?

Izzie
October 6th, 2015, 11:29 AM
Hi!

I also have thin fine hair. Currently following no-poo. Any fine haired no-pooers here? :D Maybe someone with low porosity hair? I could really use some advice about washing and moisturizing.

UP Lisa
October 6th, 2015, 11:35 AM
Hi!

I also have thin fine hair. Currently following no-poo. Any fine haired no-pooers here? :D Maybe someone with low porosity hair? I could really use some advice about washing and moisturizing.

My hair is baby fine and low porosity. I tried no-poo, but it didn't work for me. My hair was okay right after, but within a few hours of washing it was heavy and greasy.

RavenRose
October 6th, 2015, 11:47 AM
Hi!

No Poo as in baking soda wash and vinegar rinse? *shudders* I sure hope Not! I did this method for several months waiting for my scalp to adjust (which it never did), meanwhile my hair became a dry flyaway mess. It stripped my hair to the point of changing my texture, and causing breakage. I know now that baking soda is very damaging, and the vinegar is not enough to neutralize the caustic soda.

UP Lisa
October 6th, 2015, 11:50 AM
I think of no-poo as washing with conditioner instead of shampoo.

Arctic
October 6th, 2015, 11:51 AM
No poo often refers to baking soda + vinegar washing, even though it could be used of any shampooless methods.

Izzie
October 6th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Yes, I'm currently using BS+ACV (every 2-3 weeks) and my hair is wonderful! I'll soon buy shikakai and amla powder for washing and conditioning my hair, so the BS+ACV will remain only for the intensive cleanse once every one-two months :) And I also will continue with acid and tea rinses. My only problem are dry ends :/ Today I made fenugreek mask, hoping that will help.

https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/12042703_768181579994328_4925482711156957243_n.jpg ?oh=c03c672641a9590aa65136fbef9a50c8&oe=568CADFC

vpatt
October 6th, 2015, 05:49 PM
Yes, I'm currently using BS+ACV (every 2-3 weeks) and my hair is wonderful! I'll soon buy shikakai and amla powder for washing and conditioning my hair, so the BS+ACV will remain only for the intensive cleanse once every one-two months :) And I also will continue with acid and tea rinses. My only problem are dry ends :/ Today I made fenugreek mask, hoping that will help.

https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/12042703_768181579994328_4925482711156957243_n.jpg ?oh=c03c672641a9590aa65136fbef9a50c8&oe=568CADFC

You might try making SMT (Snowymoons Moisture Treatment) for your ends. 4 parts conditioner, 1 part honey, 1 part aloe vera gel. It should help your dry ends. Or you could use oil on the ends the night before washing.

Izzie
October 7th, 2015, 02:24 AM
I usually put coconut oil on my damp hair after washing it but I might try putting it on my ends the night before :D I don't know why I haven't done it before.

SwordWomanRiona
October 8th, 2015, 08:34 AM
Thank you SwordWomanRiona. I just ordered Nightblooming Panacea on Etsy. I can't wait to try it. I gave up conditioner a month ago and my hair feels so much better. It's not that long my hair and it's much shinier now and feels less plastic. I was thinking about something for the ends so I'm excited to try this.

You're welcome :)! Hope your hair likes/liked it :)

Oh, I totally relate to that! The only way I can get heatless waves for longer than an hour is by braiding and/or doing bendy rollers curls/bandanna curls with post-shower hair, keeping the braid(s) or bendy rollers on overnight. Sometimes, depending on the day/humidity/fate I can get reasonable waves or curls on the ends with just post-shower (slightly damp) or water-sprayed hair, lately I've been also using a salt-sea fixating spray on the ends for longer lasting curls.

I can get these kind of waves/curls on the ends with post-shower braiding and bendy rollers in the ends, but rarely more. This day (cosplay shoot), humidity and fate were involved and the heatless waves lasted for the whole afternoon, wind included and without any fixator like salt-sea or gel or hairspray or anything O_o That seems to happen only when the stars align, though :lol:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5564/18217816784_52590a93cd_c.jpg

For some reason, water-spraying my hair makes my ends dry up a bit, so I prefer the post-shower damp hair variation. The salt sea spray also causes a bit of dryness and frizziness (which goes away after some overnight oiling), but it's a milder product than, say, hairspray or other fixators, and I only do it sporadically for cosplay shoots and the like, so it's worth it :) I want to give flaxseed gel a go, though, a couple of people have been recommending it on my hair blog :)

EmiliaF
October 8th, 2015, 09:49 AM
SwordWomanRiona: :thudpile: Wow! These photos are amazing. Your hair looks spectacular. :shocked:

LegoCaltrops
October 8th, 2015, 10:28 AM
You all have very inspiring hair. I've just come to the conclusion that CO-washing is not good for my scalp (although my hair seems to like it). So, back to the drawing board. I've now been advised to go back to more conventional shampoo, & make sure I don't get anything with any oils in onto my scalp. So I'm trying T-gel as I know it's helpful against the effects of PCOS (which I have). Anyone used this?

I'm also going to start taking sea kelp supplements.

Izzie
October 8th, 2015, 10:53 AM

OMG, your hair is amazing! :O I wish mine was like that :(

SwordWomanRiona
October 8th, 2015, 11:09 AM
OMG, your hair is amazing! :O I wish mine was like that :(

Aww, thanks :) Good hair day, though, it's definitely not always like that :lol:

I bet you hair is lovely :flower:! Welcome to LHC, btw :D!!

RavenRose
October 8th, 2015, 11:58 AM
[COLOR="#008000"]

For some reason, water-spraying my hair makes my ends dry up a bit, so I prefer the post-shower damp hair variation. The salt sea spray also causes a bit of dryness and frizziness (which goes away after some overnight oiling), but it's a milder product than, say, hairspray or other fixators, and I only do it sporadically for cosplay shoots and the like, so it's worth it :) I want to give flaxseed gel a go, though, a couple of people have been recommending it on my hair blog :)

Amazing!

I have used Flax seed gel, and it gives a more gentle hold than hair sprays or setting gels. I must try sea salt sometime. Do you have a specific recipe?
Someone also mentioned somewhere that conditioner can be used as a setting lotion also...

Izzie
October 8th, 2015, 01:06 PM
Aww, thanks :) Good hair day, though, it's definitely not always like that :lol:

I bet you hair is lovely :flower:! Welcome to LHC, btw :D!!

Thank you <3 ^^

This is my henna madness I did last week :$ :'D It's not that orange anymore though. It's more like light to medium mahogany and it's just beautiful ^^
https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/12072542_775320432613776_2333939748779817644_n.jpg ?oh=10d7c956115700b0aa702fea8f865911&oe=569B7023

Izzie
October 8th, 2015, 01:08 PM
Oh, and this was REALLY good hair day :D First awesome hair day after going no-poo.

https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/11705204_738431362969350_2160529112099547644_n.jpg ?oh=b7d618676d09694bfe89f0e1ae3572ba&oe=5695ED84

SwordWomanRiona
October 8th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Thank you <3 ^^

This is my henna madness I did last week :$ :'D It's not that orange anymore though. It's more like light to medium mahogany and it's just beautiful ^^
https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/12072542_775320432613776_2333939748779817644_n.jpg ?oh=10d7c956115700b0aa702fea8f865911&oe=569B7023

I was totally right, your hair is lovely :)! I love your henna colour :inlove: *that reminds me I have to use the henna in the fridge before the end of this month :D*

SwordWomanRiona
October 8th, 2015, 04:00 PM
Amazing!

I have used Flax seed gel, and it gives a more gentle hold than hair sprays or setting gels. I must try sea salt sometime. Do you have a specific recipe?
Someone also mentioned somewhere that conditioner can be used as a setting lotion also...

Thanks for the info, RavenRose! I'll give it a go when I find some, anyway, see what it does to my hair and how strong the hold is for me :)

For now, I'm using Lush's Sea Spray (http://www.lushusa.com/Sea-Spray/03767,en_US,pd.html) [I'm not a fan of quite a lot of Lush's products, mainly because they try to give this 'all natural' vibe and then have the hazardous Cocamide MEA in too many of their stuff, at least thy had a year ago, and because of their sexist campaign strategies sometimes]...but I like this particular spray :)

I'm thinking about something DIY with sea salt, as well...:)

tacey
October 12th, 2015, 12:35 PM
Hi all! I've been gone a few years (after mainly lurking here, anyway) - deciding to try going for long hair again. I'm reading through the history of this thread, but in the meantime, since all the clever articles I remember from the old site seem to be missing, can anyone point me to some good info on gentle care for hair? In particular, I'd like to wash less often or less intensely, but my scalp hair looks AWFUL if I go more than 24hrs without shampoo. What are some options to stretch out that time without looking greasy in the meantime?

maria_asa
October 13th, 2015, 12:16 AM
Hi all! I've been gone a few years (after mainly lurking here, anyway) - deciding to try going for long hair again. I'm reading through the history of this thread, but in the meantime, since all the clever articles I remember from the old site seem to be missing, can anyone point me to some good info on gentle care for hair? In particular, I'd like to wash less often or less intensely, but my scalp hair looks AWFUL if I go more than 24hrs without shampoo. What are some options to stretch out that time without looking greasy in the meantime?

I haven't had any luck with stretching washes (it just increases my shedding) but what I do is that I scalp wash every day and then only wash my length once a week. The full wash is also always combined with deep conditioning.

lucy.kate1994
October 13th, 2015, 04:59 AM
I usually put coconut oil on my damp hair after washing it but I might try putting it on my ends the night before :D I don't know why I haven't done it before.

Don't forget that oil repels water so it is best to put it on dry hair so it can really absorb it :)

tacey
October 13th, 2015, 05:25 AM
I haven't had any luck with stretching washes (it just increases my shedding) but what I do is that I scalp wash every day and then only wash my length once a week. The full wash is also always combined with deep conditioning.

I can see how that would work - once your hair is long enough to keep the length separate. I'm not quite to shoulders now, which seems too short for that to be workable. Maybe instead of stretching washes, which seems to be hard for a lot of us, I should focus on finding gentler cleansers and the right oil/conditioners. Is there a forum-popular SLS-free shampoo?

alishaxmarie
October 13th, 2015, 07:35 AM
I can see how that would work - once your hair is long enough to keep the length separate. I'm not quite to shoulders now, which seems too short for that to be workable. Maybe instead of stretching washes, which seems to be hard for a lot of us, I should focus on finding gentler cleansers and the right oil/conditioners. Is there a forum-popular SLS-free shampoo?

I can't answer that question because it's very difficult for me to find SLS-free shampoos that do not contain cones, aaand I have a bunch of SLS-containing shampoos to use up lol so I personally just dilute shampoo in a separate squirt bottle to make it more gentle. I am looking for suggestions as well though. I would like to give Shea Moisture a try (but for the price and size, I'd definitely try to dilute that as well) and Dr. Bronner's (they have little trial sizes and are meant to be diluted) but I still have to wait to finish the 2 shampoos I have now.

Also, all those hair pictures are making me so jealous! Everyones' hair is so soft and shiny :crush:

Idreamlong
October 13th, 2015, 08:01 AM

Dry shampoo? I think if you lived with the grease for a couple of weeks your hair would probably sort itself out, in that it would eventually become less oily and able to go between washes for longer? It could be producing so much oil because you're stripping it out everyday by washing it?

tacey
October 13th, 2015, 08:13 AM
Dry shampoo? I think if you lived with the grease for a couple of weeks your hair would probably sort itself out, in that it would eventually become less oily and able to go between washes for longer? It could be producing so much oil because you're stripping it out everyday by washing it?

I've been seeing a lot about dry shampoo around here, so I've marked a few possibilities to test out. I've never actually used it before - I didn't think it would do much, I suppose. And yes, I think washing daily probably does increase oil production, but it's also something that happened around puberty. As a little kid, I would shampoo weekly, but eventually I needed to wash it more frequently. At this point, who knows which is really 'first', right? I washed more because it looked bad, but if the shampoos I've used were too strong and over-cleansed, then I'd likely start producing more oils to make up for it, leading to more washing with stronger shampoo...Maybe the LHF can help me find some products to back down from this ugly escalation!

SwordWomanRiona
October 13th, 2015, 12:54 PM
I use Klorane's dry shampoo and it works great for me :) . I have greasy roots and wash my hair twice a week.

semontgo87
October 19th, 2015, 06:58 PM
Hi All! I'm another fine/thin haired lass. :) My hair is long, waist+ length (the fairy tales are almost tailbone). About 2 years ago I was living in Poland, and my hair was doing really well. But since I returned to the USA, I've been having issues. The same thing happened about 7 years ago, when I had been living in Sicily. All I can figure is that its a water-quality issue (Both those places have water you aren't really supposed to drink from the tap). I have a chlorine filter on my shower, but it doesn't seem to be enough. I made the mistake of buying a Lush shampoo bar in June, and didn't realize it had SLS until I read it here on LHC a few weeks ago. So that probably hasn't helped things.

Recently I've been having a thinning scare (I'm 28) - I don't know what I did, but I seem to have lost a lot of hair at my temples. I have sort of a V shape that goes back from the normal temple area. However, I THINK it's growing back, I see baby hairs and there are sections that are several inches long. I think I must of broken some by putting it up the wrong way. Its not like it all happened at once, obviously I probably would have noticed that.

Do any of you have styles you avoid in particular that cause breakage? I mean, other than obvious things like using hair ties with metal, etc.

How do you avoid breaking hair when putting it up in buns and braids? My standard style is using an octopus clip or large butterfly clip, but recently I decided it pulls on my hair too much. Plus the plastic and metal hinges maybe aren't ideal for fine hair. I'm a substitute teacher, and wearing my hair down or half down really isn't an option when I'm not at home.

Agnes Hannah
October 21st, 2015, 11:53 AM
Hi All! I'm another fine/thin haired lass. :) My hair is long, waist+ length (the fairy tales are almost tailbone). About 2 years ago I was living in Poland, and my hair was doing really well. But since I returned to the USA, I've been having issues. The same thing happened about 7 years ago, when I had been living in Sicily. All I can figure is that its a water-quality issue (Both those places have water you aren't really supposed to drink from the tap). I have a chlorine filter on my shower, but it doesn't seem to be enough. I made the mistake of buying a Lush shampoo bar in June, and didn't realize it had SLS until I read it here on LHC a few weeks ago. So that probably hasn't helped things.

Recently I've been having a thinning scare (I'm 28) - I don't know what I did, but I seem to have lost a lot of hair at my temples. I have sort of a V shape that goes back from the normal temple area. However, I THINK it's growing back, I see baby hairs and there are sections that are several inches long. I think I must of broken some by putting it up the wrong way. Its not like it all happened at once, obviously I probably would have noticed that.

Do any of you have styles you avoid in particular that cause breakage? I mean, other than obvious things like using hair ties with metal, etc.

How do you avoid breaking hair when putting it up in buns and braids? My standard style is using an octopus clip or large butterfly clip, but recently I decided it pulls on my hair too much. Plus the plastic and metal hinges maybe aren't ideal for fine hair. I'm a substitute teacher, and wearing my hair down or half down really isn't an option when I'm not at home.

Hi semontgo87 welcome to the boards! I also have very fine hair and my longest hairs have just reached BCL. I am also a teacher, I teach adults. Anyway, I use a claw quite often, they have not damaged my hair at all and I really like them. My other go to's are a french pleat with a french comb or ficcare, or a bun any type of bun really held with a stick or fork. My favourite forks are Jeterforks, Kerome is an expert on these, what she doesn't know about Jeters isn't worth knowing. Jeters also help to make a bun look bigger which is a plus for us fine haired folk. Sometimes I put in two English braids and wear them as Heidi braids, that looks effective. The Jaime Leigh bun also is lovely to wear and doesn't pull. When plaiting I do not tie the ends off, when I'm wearing Heidi Braids or the Jaime Leigh, I use small bobby pins which I have found out come in different sizes. These inserted gently have not damaged my hair in any way.
What sort of clip is your butterfly clip, is it a metal barette? I am not able to wear these as they do pull on my hair, so can't advise you there.
Check your clips for any snaggy edges or sharp bits and file these off as they may cause damage also with combs. Try to get a good quality comb, I have several hand made ones from Kent and a large detangler from Mason Pearson. Being hand made they are much smoother and do not tear the hair.
Try to change your style or bun position from day to day as this puts less pressure on the scalp.

I also wear a silk sleep cap with a silk pillow for added insurance to protect my hair. Finally, when putting hair up, make sure you have a little wriggle room, if you can insert a finger inbetween your scalp and hair, it should be fine.

Good luck!

RavenRose
October 21st, 2015, 08:03 PM
I have found that GUD line by burt's bees is SLS and cone Free- It does have coco laurath sulfate which from my understanding is gentler, and doesn't make me break out like SLS does. I tried a pomegranate burt's bees that was both SLS and cone free, but had to much protein. Also I have a purple Ion (Sally's brand) shampoo that is free of both. Aubrey organics all seem to be SLS and cone free also.

RavenRose
October 21st, 2015, 08:10 PM

I think the big thing is making sure you vary your style- don't twist and clip it up the exact same way day after day. The most damaging style is probably down, because hair can catch and tangle so much easier. Use softer pony holders if you use them at all, and ditch any toys you find catching hair. Make sure the styles are not tight and pulling, and in general gentle handling.

yahirwaO.o
October 21st, 2015, 08:18 PM
[COLOR="#008000"]

Wow SwordWomanRiona you and your beautiful hair look out the very best fairytail chronicles!!!!! :queen:

Frankenstein
October 26th, 2015, 08:37 AM
Something I've been thinking about... I always hear two different things about thin/fine hair: that it looks best all one length, or that it looks best with layers. I myself have never really had layers, just a fairytaled V-ish shape, but I definitely think a blunt hem makes mine appear thicker. Although I can see how layers would add more "volume"... I guess it just depends on each person's hair. What do you think?

RavenRose
October 26th, 2015, 09:26 AM
Something I've been thinking about... I always hear two different things about thin/fine hair: that it looks best all one length, or that it looks best with layers. I myself have never really had layers, just a fairytaled V-ish shape, but I definitely think a blunt hem makes mine appear thicker. Although I can see how layers would add more "volume"... I guess it just depends on each person's hair. What do you think?

I think this depends on your texture- if it is stick straight- 1a/1b layers just make the hair look frizzy, or choppy, if you have more texture I think layers can make you hair look much thicker...

I have been struggling this past month with the old perm breaking off due to the drier weather- despite my increased conditioning treatments. So now I have layers from just a bit above my shoulders down to APL. It makes it much harder to get it to stay up. and looks constantly frizzy.

SwordWomanRiona
October 26th, 2015, 02:51 PM
Wow SwordWomanRiona you and your beautiful hair look out the very best fairytail chronicles!!!!! :queen:

Omgs, thank you, you're too sweet :flower: ^^!

SwordWomanRiona
October 26th, 2015, 02:53 PM
I think this depends on your texture- if it is stick straight- 1a/1b layers just make the hair look frizzy, or choppy, if you have more texture I think layers can make you hair look much thicker...

I agree, fine-textured straight hair might look thicker without layers, while wavy or curly hair could look thicker with layers, I think...My hair is straight and does look thicker without layers.

Marika
October 31st, 2015, 04:10 AM
I've been struggling with hair loss for the past 6 months and now it's finally slowing down!:joy: My scalp shows through pretty badly around my temples but I don't feel my hair is really that much thinner now. I've been microtrimming like crazy and I think it's helped with the ends not looking so thin. But the waves! I'm a pretty hardcore cone user and my hair is still getting quite wavy!:confused: But overall, I've been pretty happy with my hair lately. It's getting longer and I'm quite close to BCL. I've been here before years ago but back then I didn't trim my hair regularly and it showed. I'm not giving up my :scissors: anymore! :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19586&d=1446285493

Amapola
October 31st, 2015, 09:57 AM
Well done, Marika! It's looking great!

SwordWomanRiona
November 1st, 2015, 05:24 AM
Your hair looks gorgeous, Marika :inlove:!

Kherome
November 1st, 2015, 06:46 AM

No, layers don't really do anything for thin hair. (Remember, FINE is a texture, THIN is quantity. So Fine iii hair could do fine layered.) For Thin hair though, I think a deep U or V can disguise the thinness as the sides are usually the thinner part, and if they are cut in a deep U or V, you don't notice the thinness nearly as much.

Marika
November 2nd, 2015, 03:50 AM
Thank you Amapola and SWR!:flower: I can only dream of having hair as beautiful and long as both of yours.

I'm not a big fan of layers (in my hair) but I sort of have this 'layer of damage' which I'm hoping to get rid of someday. I quite like the U and V shapes for fine and thinner hair. And of course blunt but I'm always going to have a U/V shape because my sides are so fragile they break easily and are thinner and shorter than the rest of my hair.

maria_asa
November 2nd, 2015, 06:24 AM
Layers are a definite no no for me as well. They only make my ends look even thinner and adds no volume or movement what so ever.

teal
November 2nd, 2015, 10:43 AM
I do layers - I like them, most importantly, and since my hair is wavy they appear to add volume. However, there's a funny truth behind it as well... I have this weird thing where if my hair has a blunt hairline, then the urge to cut it is really, really hard to ignore. For some reason when I have layers and/or fairytale ends, it's not a problem at all. (It's been years since I did anything other than S&D on the ends, and even that hasn't been done in some time.) I think it's got something to do with the fact that it's almost impossible for my hair to lay straight at the ends. I like the look of 1a/b hair with a blunt cut, but that's not my hair. My hair likes fairytale ends and long layers, so that's how I roll.

Edit: And of course since I haven't cut it in ages, the natural hemline is a long U/V shape and my hair likes that as well.

Senna
November 16th, 2015, 10:55 AM
I'm back!
I've got a question:
Prom (it's not called prom in my country by the way, it's called a 'gala', but it's not that formal) is coming up soon and I'm searching for some cute hairstyles, but unfortunately, most of them look really weird on me because my hair is so fine.
I'm planning to wear my hair down, but I don't know how to make it look special and not how I wear it everyday.

Any ideas? Or sites with good ideas?
Thanks! :D

teal
November 16th, 2015, 11:32 AM
I haven't got any ready resources to provide, but what do you do everyday that you don't want to do for this gala? You could do heatless curls (eg. with rags or foam rollers) and fix them with sugar water, if you're looking for a mostly damage-free style. However, that might backfire if it's a wet day.

In any case I would recommend that you do a full trial of your desired style before the day - do it just as you would for the gala, go about your day and observe as you go. (Do the curls fall out? Is your hair getting in your way? How does it look after several hours? etc.) This way you can work on contingency plans for if your hair misbehaves at the gala. :)

Amapola
November 16th, 2015, 01:58 PM
Well, maybe this would work for you: One year for Christmas, I took a small amount of hair at the top/sides of my head and braided it, along with a few strands of ribbon. I left the rest of the hair down so it was like a half-up, and then put a sparkly hair toy in at the top of the braid for decorative purposes (that braid wasn't going to fall out and needed nothing to keep it up.) The tiny accent braid did not look quite so tiny due to the ribbons, and I got a lot of compliments because people could see how long my hair was (normally it's up all the time so no one really knows).

Curls were out for me: they MIGHT stay in for half an hour if I'm lucky, and usually I'm not lucky. So the half up, accent braid thing worked for me. Normally I just put in sparkly hair toys. Another idea: A paranda works too! :thumbsup:

Neecola
November 17th, 2015, 01:35 PM
That sounds very pretty Amapola!

Buttercup1223
December 22nd, 2015, 10:21 AM
I definitely belong here. :waving:

roseomalley
December 22nd, 2015, 12:38 PM
Hi Buttercup. Glad you could join us. :cheer:

Buttercup1223
December 22nd, 2015, 04:30 PM
Hi Buttercup. Glad you could join us. :cheer:

Thank you. :)

Theophany
December 25th, 2015, 01:16 AM
I definitely belong here! Lol Hi, my hair sisters & brothers. :)

Amapola
December 25th, 2015, 07:37 AM
Hi everybody! :flower: So happy to see you here!

Diana_Prince
December 25th, 2015, 10:19 AM
Okay, my turn! My hair is a bit of a double edged sword. My hair has waves & loose curls, so, on the one hand, it can make it look like I have more hair than I do but it only lasts one day, when I wash it. After I've slept on it, the curls get stretched out and it goes kind of limp. I'm looking forward to getting it long enough to put in a back braid. My hair is slippery so there aren't many hair toys/up dos that it won't spit out. I'm hoping as it gets longer, I'll be able to wear it down more one 2nd, 3rd, etc. without it looking so sad lol Ive recently discovered the Gibson tuck. Shocked I could manage it! Will have to do some trial runs to see if it would be feasible cuz it would solve the "what-to-do-with-it-after-1st-day" hair dilemma I've been having as of late!

rags
December 25th, 2015, 10:28 AM
Welcome to all our new members! :waving:

Diana_Prince, that could be a function of your length, if your profile is correct? With more length it will do better with more toys. I'm between CB and APL right now, and Ficcares are my weapon of choice, along with multi-prong forks. It will spit out two prongs. It still doesn't hold nearly as securely (except in a French Twist) as when it's longer, though. So maybe there's some hope! (I just cut back from hip six months ago - I could hold it with sticks, anything then.((well, certain sticks! Some won't work at all no matter what)) ). And my hair is slippery!

HollyLindsey
December 25th, 2015, 11:54 PM
I belong in this category!!! What do you all use to brush/comb your hair? Just by brushing my fine hair can cause mechanical damage. Right now I'm using a Widu brand wooden brush. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love it, and it was one of the best investments I've ever made on my hair. But since my hair is so naturally fine, I still feel like I could use something even gentler on my hair. Would a wide tooth wooden comb be a better option? What are your experiences detangling hair?

Also, I am currently looking to find a hair care routine that will make my hair as soft and shiny as possible. I currently have all virgin hair, and the only heat damage is where I grew out my bangs (which I just plan to S&D off). I've been alternating between CO and shampoo bar, but I haven't find something I absolutely love.

yahirwaO.o
December 26th, 2015, 12:35 AM
HollyLindsey I think Widu brush is one of the best brushing options out there. As long as you don't notice breakage it should be ok. I actually prefer to use my hands first and then run my soft bamboo brush. Then I proceed with my BBB to make it extra shiny and tame those flyways which leads to the soft and shiny question. That final brush and a tiny drop of mineral oil make my hair extra glossy. I know some people dont notice a big difference, but cold water helps a lot on my own. You have to continue testing something that your hair- scalp agrees. it really varies a lot.

I just finished blow drying my hair on warm air and put a fairly dark shirt on. Seriously my hair look 2 times thicker as opposed to wearing colorful shirts on and letting it air dry . Do you finies have noticed this or like to wear dark outfits with you hair down? I know it's more of a visual matter but it does have a positive effect on me and the way I perceive my hair.

HollyLindsey
December 26th, 2015, 01:57 AM
yahirwaO.o: I do notice some build up of hair in the brush overtime, but I assumed that was only natural. If there was any breakage with this brush, I would also assume it would be minimal. I'll have to give mineral oil a try. Are there any varieties you suggest or are they all the same? I try to use cold water at the end of my shower, but I tend to flake out on that step during the cold winter months.

yahirwaO.o
December 26th, 2015, 02:25 AM
Johnsons baby oil, the one you find pretty much in every store does the job. A warn, I only use a single tiny drop on my hair or else it can give greasy limp look and having already fine hair there's no option. I have a separate dropper just for the purpose of getting the exact amount needed, out of the Johnsons bottle oil can spread easily and end up using more.

An easy way to know it is breakage or natural shedding is looking at white bulbs. If you see them chances are hair has made its life cycle and sheds. If you hear a ripping sound and get to see hair without bulbs it's likely to be breakage.

Cold water is really not an option on super cold winter, still I wash way less in winter so it kinda compensates.

HollyLindsey
December 26th, 2015, 03:21 AM
Yes, I saw some white bulbs, but I thought those were breakage from split ends? I don't hear ripping sounds unless of course I'm not gentle with my brushing.

yahirwaO.o
December 26th, 2015, 03:47 AM
White dots and white bulbs are different. White dots are from total bad split ends and white bulbs have a different shape, some kinda have some sebum thing going on. Some members can point out better this. In your case I believe its pretty much natural shedding

Amapola
December 26th, 2015, 08:39 AM
Yahirwa, I do notice that if I let my hair dry totally straight, it's not as "fluffy" (I guess!) as when I have to put it up before it's dry and I get some bun or braid waves going. That makes my hair look and feel thicker, and it even makes it a little easier to bun up. I wear my hair up pretty close to 100% of the time, so the color of my clothes does not seem to influence this.

HollyLindsey, my hair is super-fine and very fragile and what I now use is a very soft BBB for detangling. Not everyone's hair can be penetrated by those but mine can, so this works really well for me. I've found very soft BBBs at Sally's for a very reasonable price. Also, I have some very old BBBs that they used to sell back in the 20s and 30s... antiques, basically, but the ones I've found were super soft and not too expensive (under $20.00 as I recall). The bristles on these are white. I think they have been bleached. The bristles on my Sally's brush are natural colored.

I've started using Kendi oil which is something I can get at Sally's. I think it says, "Bamboo Kendi Oil" on it and it's a little tiny bottle. I actually can use a fairly big dollop of this oil on my hair, every other day or so. This helps my ends a lot. I also use cones in the conditioner... a product called Miracle 7 and it's the one that has the gold colored lid. That means I have to use sulfates in the shampoo and that is not for everyone, but for me it helps a lot.

A lot of this depends on your length, as well. Back when I was at hip I used a very different set of products and was using a wide-toothed wooden comb. But, the longer your hair gets, the more ancient your ends and the more careful you have to be with them. Not to mention everybody's hair is different.

rags
December 26th, 2015, 09:39 AM
When I want to wear my hair down (well, it's not too bad right now, but when it was longer and when it will be again) , I always wear a dark shirt. As a matter of fact, there was a thing back in this thread somewhere where we put on white shirts to show the difference (a few of us). :p White and colorful shirts are nice - when my hair is up! LOL

My hair is baby, baby fine, very fragile due to health issues, and a med I take makes it brittle as a side effect. I still brush it with a BBB. I too have one with white bristles, from Kent (they say the white is softer bristles (I think it's the outer coat of the boar? not sure, but they sell it for fine and thinning hair), and I also have an MP I use. I use these after detangling with a wide tooth comb usually, although I can detangle with the softer brush if needed. I haven't found them to hurt my hair, on the contrary, if I only comb (which I tried for a couple of years) I find that sheds tend to not come out easily and cause tangles and thus more breakage. I seem to lose less hair when i brush once or twice daily.

Nettyx
December 26th, 2015, 02:41 PM
I had a horrible shock on holiday a couple of weeks ago, I was wearing my normal dark top since my hair was down but since my hair is blonette I noticed in the strong sunshine that my ends were fried. Not only did I have humongous splits but the ends were covered in white dots. Eeek! (my eyesight must be going if I have never noticed these before) So, when I got home I took the decision to do a trim.....and I may have got a bit carried away. I was at waist 30 mins ago and now I am back at BSL. Sigh. On a positive note my ends now feel lovely and soft and weirdly I kind of prefer my hair at this length when it is down as it looks thicker but I miss my length.
Sorry about the rant, I'm feeling a bit of a drama queen. :-(

diddiedaisy
December 26th, 2015, 03:13 PM
HollyLindsey I think Widu brush is one of the best brushing options out there. As long as you don't notice breakage it should be ok. I actually prefer to use my hands first and then run my soft bamboo brush. Then I proceed with my BBB to make it extra shiny and tame those flyways which leads to the soft and shiny question. That final brush and a tiny drop of mineral oil make my hair extra glossy. I know some people dont notice a big difference, but cold water helps a lot on my own. You have to continue testing something that your hair- scalp agrees. it really varies a lot.

I just finished blow drying my hair on warm air and put a fairly dark shirt on. Seriously my hair look 2 times thicker as opposed to wearing colorful shirts on and letting it air dry . Do you finies have noticed this or like to wear dark outfits with you hair down? I know it's more of a visual matter but it does have a positive effect on me and the way I perceive my hair.

I do it all the time. If I wear pale tops my blonde hair disappears :(

HollyLindsey
December 28th, 2015, 03:54 AM
I will try out a wide tooth wooden comb from Widu to add to my wooden bristle brush. Maybe I will use the wide tooth first to detangle and the brush to distribute the oils. Also am interested in knowing what products you all use to wash your hair? I feel like I'm stuck because I want to feel really clean at the roots since oil shows more in my hair, but I also don't want to dry out my ends. (My shortest layers are ear length so it's not hard to dry them out with shampoo in the shower). I recently tried CO, but felt very greasy after a day.

Nettyx
December 28th, 2015, 11:57 AM
I will try out a wide tooth wooden comb from Widu to add to my wooden bristle brush. Maybe I will use the wide tooth first to detangle and the brush to distribute the oils. Also am interested in knowing what products you all use to wash your hair? I feel like I'm stuck because I want to feel really clean at the roots since oil shows more in my hair, but I also don't want to dry out my ends. (My shortest layers are ear length so it's not hard to dry them out with shampoo in the shower). I recently tried CO, but felt very greasy after a day.

I find I need to do a cider vinegar rinse once every one or two weeks which helps with the build up. Have you tried using dry shampoo in between washes to mop up the excess oil? I'd love to help re shampoo etc but I have OCD and wash my hair daily so it gets a bit of a bashing so I should be the last one to advise you.

roseomalley
December 28th, 2015, 12:38 PM

HollyLindsey,, I wash with Klorane Shampoo for blonde or grey hair. It is very gentle, and you do not need a lot. There is no matching conditioner, so I use whatever I have on my ends only. When I apply the shampoo, I work it gently into my scalp and just let it drip or fall onto my length. I rinse, condition the ends, rinse and then do a small amount of white vinegar (tablespoon?) mixed in a tumbler of water for the final rinse.
I wash every second day, as I have an oily scalp.
Klorane has different shampoos, if your hair is not blond or grey. They are all very gentle. It is a good brand that I buy online.

When I detangle, I use a wide-toothed wooden comb and finish with a boar bristle brush, just gently a few strokes.

SwordWomanRiona
December 28th, 2015, 02:54 PM

I generally use Klorane's sweet-almond shampoo for fine-textured hair and it works pretty well for me. Still on the look for volumizing shampoos without (a lot of) chemicals. I've also tried D'Shila's orange and lavender shampoos. I don't use conditioner because I also have oily roots (and normal ends) and it always makes my hair look greasy and takes all the volume away (and I don't have much to start with :lol:). So it's just shampoo and herbal rinses (tea, mostly, I don't have dry ends so it doesn't dry out my hair) for me :)

Theophany
December 29th, 2015, 09:27 PM
What's your HG Shampoo/Conditioner & Deep Conditioner & Hair Oil/Serum & why? I'm more concerned with balancing out my oily scalp w dry ends than volume. Also I just got a trim & am still having trouble with CONSTANT horrible tangles & I take a hair vitamin. I have tried tons of drugstore, salon & natural products. Including but not limited to: Wen, Tresemme, Herbal Essences, Dove, John Frieda, Pantene, Garnier, Redken, Biolage, Kenra, Bed Head. Conditioner only washes. D.I.Y Castile soap w essential oils. Baking Soda & ACV. PLEASE HELP I'M EXHAUSTING ALL OPTIONS!

alishaxmarie
December 29th, 2015, 09:46 PM
What's your HG Shampoo/Conditioner & Deep Conditioner & Hair Oil/Serum & why? I'm more concerned with balancing out my oily scalp w dry ends than volume. Also I just got a trim & am still having trouble with CONSTANT horrible tangles & I take a hair vitamin. I have tried tons of drugstore, salon & natural products. Including but not limited to: Wen, Tresemme, Herbal Essences, Dove, John Frieda, Pantene, Garnier, Redken, Biolage, Kenra, Bed Head. Conditioner only washes. D.I.Y Castile soap w essential oils. Baking Soda & ACV. PLEASE HELP I'M EXHAUSTING ALL OPTIONS!

You mentioned products that you've tried but how do you tend to wear your hair? What do you use to detangle your hair? How often do you wash, detangle your hair? What washing method do you follow now? Do you wash upside-down? Do you air dry or blow dry? Did you clarify before each new product or washing/detangling method trial? Have you tried different types of moisturizing or protein treatments?

Honestly though, regardless of all the things you could be doing to preserve and protect your hair, if it's fine-textured, it's more likely to get damaged and cause damage to surrounding undamaged hairs. Some of us just have unruly/kinky hair :shrug: Personally though, I found using both the rinse-out oil method and WCC combined (for me that means diluted shampoo, rinse, add some oil, add water if I remember or just go straight to the first conditioning round, finger detangle, rinse, condition again, finger detangle again, rinse again, then finally an ACV rinse that I leave in). Sometimes I use the LOC method to lock in moisture but lately I've been slacking. I also found that a wide-toothed wooden comb is totally worth it! I loved mine from literally the first glide through my hair. It's definitely more gentle than a BBB which I found caused me breakage regardless of detangling beforehand.

Oh and another note on all the products you mentioned. You named a lot of brands but each brand has many different product line so it may help you to look at the common ingredients in case it's a particular set of ingredients that your hair responds negatively to (eg: hydrolyzed proteins, glycerin, other humectants, polyquats, certain emollients, particular proteins or amino acids, particular oils, or silicones).

Theophany
December 29th, 2015, 10:51 PM
You mentioned products that you've tried but how do you tend to wear your hair? What do you use to detangle your hair? How often do you wash, detangle your hair? What washing method do you follow now? Do you wash upside-down? Do you air dry or blow dry? Did you clarify before each new product or washing/detangling method trial? Have you tried different types of moisturizing or protein treatments?

Honestly though, regardless of all the things you could be doing to preserve and protect your hair, if it's fine-textured, it's more likely to get damaged and cause damage to surrounding undamaged hairs. Some of us just have unruly/kinky hair :shrug: Personally though, I found using both the rinse-out oil method and WCC combined (for me that means diluted shampoo, rinse, add some oil, add water if I remember or just go straight to the first conditioning round, finger detangle, rinse, condition again, finger detangle again, rinse again, then finally an ACV rinse that I leave in). Sometimes I use the LOC method to lock in moisture but lately I've been slacking. I also found that a wide-toothed wooden comb is totally worth it! I loved mine from literally the first glide through my hair. It's definitely more gentle than a BBB which I found caused me breakage regardless of detangling beforehand.

Oh and another note on all the products you mentioned. You named a lot of brands but each brand has many different product line so it may help you to look at the common ingredients in case it's a particular set of ingredients that your hair responds negatively to (eg: hydrolyzed proteins, glycerin, other humectants, polyquats, certain emollients, particular proteins or amino acids, particular oils, or silicones).

Hi there, it doesn't seem to matter what the ingredients are or formulation (proteins, no proteins) (silicone, no silicone) etc. I didn't always remember to clarify between products. & really I tend to look at ingredients instead of who it's marketed "for" e.g. volumizing, oily hair. Heck I've even tried Tigi dog shampoo!!! Lol :) as far as washing method goes if I'm using traditional S&C then I just put a small amount of shampoo on my scalp, fingertip scrub through GENTLY & if needed work a little through the ends (rarely) & condition from the ears down. Since if I put it anywhere near my scalp I'm oily in the morning. Then wide tooth comb when I get out of the shower after having it lightly wrapped in a towel drying for a bit. No scrubbing to dry & still always tangles! :'(

Theophany
December 29th, 2015, 10:54 PM
Oh I also forgot to mention I HATE BB brushes as they tear my hair. I now use a Widu wooden brush with solid pins (no ball tips) & it has helped a lot with brushing damage since switching from a traditional plastic brush. If I'm at work I have to wear my hair up in a semi snug ponytail since I can't get my hair to stay in a stick, I don't know how. & if I'm off work it's down. My hair is baby fine & thin but I have a lot of folicals the hair typing thing sorta confuses me...if that makes sense. & it's currently BSL with some layers. Thanks btw

renia22
December 30th, 2015, 08:50 AM

Do you happen to know what kind of water you have (hard, soft)? Perhaps that might be contributing to the tangling problem? Maybe you can try a chelating shampoo (Ultra Swim, Joico, Sally's Ion Chelating...) and see what happens? I personally like Pantene Aqualight shampoo paired with the Damage Detox conditioner, the pink retro rosehip Herbal Essences shampoo & conditioner, Paul Mitchell shampoo 2, Paul Mitchell lavender mint conditioner, Finesse volumizing & enchancing. The Dessert Essence raspberry conditioner also does a decent job of detangling, but my hair gets greasy a lot faster throughout the day than if I use a drugstore product (natural oils and butters don't work as well for me, hair gets weighed down fast and build up becomes a problem, I have to clarify the next time I wash after something like that). For serums, I love Kiehl's silk groom serum (on damp or dry hair) and Dr Bronner's hair creme (on dry hair or almost dry only). For reference, my hair is fine and wavy (2C) and the climate I live in is mostly on the humid side and I have "soft" well water. I do clarify often, I think it makes a difference.

ps also a drop or two of rosemary eo in pure aloe works nicely on the scalp, left on overnight the washed out in the morning, or just a scraping of coconut oil on the ends if they are starting to get crispy or dry, left on overnight also. A lavender hydrosol sprayed on the scalp helps with oiliness as well.

AutobotsAttack
December 30th, 2015, 09:24 AM
i have naturally fine hair myself, although it is rather fluffy and i have a lot it. It gets weighed down almost instantly, so ive learned to make a moisturizer out of very diluted conditioner (herbal essences), and that really helps. It gets tangled if i havent conditioned well enough when i get out of the shower, however its extremely soft like that of plush almost which i really like. Ive come to just accept and love my hair as it is, however im just trying to reduce the amount of product buildup because it causes my hair to dry out. And the longer my hair gets the more wispies i seem to get too, i find them cute but they are everywhere now lol

Theophany
December 30th, 2015, 07:37 PM
We have hard city water where I'm at. I also have & like the classic rosehip herbal essence line just not quite perfect for me....😀 what's the benefit of a chelating shampoo? & it seems the "natural" hair products don't seem to work for me either. Even though I really want them to & I've tried loads of brands/products they all seem too heavy 😥....was looking at some Shea Moisture stuff today reading the lovely ingredients enjoying the smells & put them back knowing they probably wouldn't work for me. Thanks for the tips & product info. I'll look into them tonight!!

Theophany
December 30th, 2015, 07:39 PM
Product build up is an issue for me as well no matter what I use it seems! & Hello, fellow thin haired friend :)

alishaxmarie
December 30th, 2015, 08:29 PM
We have hard city water where I'm at. I also have & like the classic rosehip herbal essence line just not quite perfect for me....�� what's the benefit of a chelating shampoo? & it seems the "natural" hair products don't seem to work for me either. Even though I really want them to & I've tried loads of brands/products they all seem too heavy ��....was looking at some Shea Moisture stuff today reading the lovely ingredients enjoying the smells & put them back knowing they probably wouldn't work for me. Thanks for the tips & product info. I'll look into them tonight!!

Chelating shampoos remove the hard water minerals that are left behind in your hair after it dries. These hard water minerals could be what's causing your tangling problem which is why I wanted to find a shampoo that chelates as well as clarifies (I made a thread about it) but only really got a suggestion of a type of Pantene that is not usually found in stores any longer (go figure). Swimmer's shampoos are chelating shampoos so you may seem them targeted that way. I would imagine that if a shampoo is strong enough to chelate that it more than likely has the proper ingredients to remove product build-up (I'm personally mostly worried about cones even though I don't use them much) and I personally want to try Aveda's chelating shampoo once I run out of all of my current shampoos but really, idk what specific suggestions to give you concerning chelators :shrug:

You said you typically only shampoo your scalp and condition from the ears-downwards so that's good. I would only really be able to suggest diluting your shampoo if you think that dryness could be adding to your tangling problem. Even if you can only use hair ties right now, at least put your hair in a bun with the hair tie so it isn't blowing around and tangling itself. Plus, having it in a bun as opposed to an actual ponytail will put less stress on the area where you secure your hair. I would also suggest buying bobby pins and/or U-pins to attempt some buns/updos and braided buns especially to prevent tangles as much as possible during the day. Lots of finies also like spin pins but I personally can't stand to use them because they snap hairs no matter how slowly and carefully I spin them in or out of place!

ETA: Here's that Aveda shampoo (http://www.aveda.com/product/5311/16763/Hair-Care/Shampoo/Sun-Care-Hair-and-Body-Cleanser/index.tmpl) that I said I want to try in case anyone else is interested.

HollyLindsey
January 1st, 2016, 11:32 PM
I generally use Klorane's sweet-almond shampoo for fine-textured hair and it works pretty well for me. Still on the look for volumizing shampoos without (a lot of) chemicals. I've also tried D'Shila's orange and lavender shampoos. I don't use conditioner because I also have oily roots (and normal ends) and it always makes my hair look greasy and takes all the volume away (and I don't have much to start with :lol:). So it's just shampoo and herbal rinses (tea, mostly, I don't have dry ends so it doesn't dry out my hair) for me :)

First off, your hair looks AMAZING. I will check out the products you mentioned too! Yesterday, I tried out the "2Chic Tangerine & Papaya Ultra Volume Shampoo & Conditioner" by the brand Giovanni and it made my hair feel super lush without drying it out. :)

Brunettebybirth
January 3rd, 2016, 04:23 PM
I always hated my fine hair. Now I'm discovering if I treat it gently, it can be quite nice. Still dream of having super thick hair though but learning to work with what I was given.

SwordWomanRiona
January 6th, 2016, 03:28 PM
First off, your hair looks AMAZING. I will check out the products you mentioned too! Yesterday, I tried out the "2Chic Tangerine & Papaya Ultra Volume Shampoo & Conditioner" by the brand Giovanni and it made my hair feel super lush without drying it out. :)

Aww, thank you :flower:!

I'll check that shampoo out! I don't use conditioner, though, so not sure if my hair would like it...

HollyLindsey
January 7th, 2016, 05:09 AM
Aww, thank you :flower:!

I'll check that shampoo out! I don't use conditioner, though, so not sure if my hair would like it...

Yourwelcome! I find the conditioner is very light on my hair, I suppose that's why it's marketed as "volumizing." Anyways, if you give the shampoo and/or conditioner a try, let me know your thoughts! I'm curious to know how it effects other fine/thin haired folks. :)

SwordWomanRiona
January 7th, 2016, 05:19 AM
Yourwelcome! I find the conditioner is very light on my hair, I suppose that's why it's marketed as "volumizing." Anyways, if you give the shampoo and/or conditioner a try, let me know your thoughts! I'm curious to know how it effects other fine/thin haired folks. :)

Will do :)!

Diana_Prince
January 7th, 2016, 10:22 AM
I'm considering trying a flexi. Have any of you had any luck with them? If so, what size do you prefer?

Neecola
January 7th, 2016, 11:45 AM
I love my flexis. I have them in small and x-small and like them both. I use them mostly as accents as my hair compacts too much to be secure using only a flexi.

rags
January 7th, 2016, 01:21 PM
I love my flexis and have quite a few although I tend to wear the minis most (for half-ups, either down or when my hair is longer, into a bun after). A lot of it depends on what style you want to do with them. My hair compacts like crazy, but I can wear them, although the ones for buns and such work best for most past waist.

I wear a mini for half-ups (most wear x-small, going to depend on how fine/thin your hair is. As well as being cat fine, mine is thin). I wear an x-small for the exceedingly few days I wear ponys, a small for French twist, and a medium for buns when my hair was longer (even at waist!). I'm on the small end of the scale with them - but then, so's my hair! :p .

Oh, I can't wear any of them with elaborate dangles or big heavy stones (no colors on parade for me :( ) as they are too heavy and will slide out of my hair.

Diana_Prince
January 7th, 2016, 02:22 PM
Ooo good point on the dangles & stones. I hadn't thought of that! That's why I don't wear my ficcare more. It's too heavy for me without the aid of a couple u-pins.I was thinking of wearing them for ponytails and my variation of, I guess, the tails up (or maybe a variation of the French twist?*shrugs*) I was thinking maybe a smal and xtra small but now I'm thinking maybe an xtra small for my twist and a mini for my pony....hmmmm....

rags
January 7th, 2016, 02:50 PM
Ooo good point on the dangles & stones. I hadn't thought of that! That's why I don't wear my ficcare more. It's too heavy for me without the aid of a couple u-pins.I was thinking of wearing them for ponytails and my variation of, I guess, the tails up (or maybe a variation of the French twist?*shrugs*) I was thinking maybe a smal and xtra small but now I'm thinking maybe an xtra small for my twist and a mini for my pony....hmmmm....

I would be really surprised if you could do that with either. I've just gone through a massive shed, my pony is below 1.5", I"m not at APL yet and I need the small for a twist. Minis are too small for a pony for me, although the x-smalls are a bit large (I use the hairband on the pin trick to make them work). Minis are pretty dang small!

Diana_Prince
January 7th, 2016, 03:44 PM
I would be really surprised if you could do that with either. I've just gone through a massive shed, my pony is below 1.5", I"m not at APL yet and I need the small for a twist. Minis are too small for a pony for me, although the x-smalls are a bit large (I use the hairband on the pin trick to make them work). Minis are pretty dang small!

Okay, a small it is! Thanks so much for your advice!

Neecola
January 8th, 2016, 11:30 AM

Hi Rags, what is the hairband on the pin trick?

lillielil
January 8th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Wrap a hair elastic around the pin part of the flexi. It decreases the functional diameter and adds a bit of grip.

I also use an XS for my pony, and my hair is on the fine/thin side, and it compacts a lot.

rags
January 8th, 2016, 04:36 PM
Wrap a hair elastic around the pin part of the flexi. It decreases the functional diameter and adds a bit of grip.

I also use an XS for my pony, and my hair is on the fine/thin side, and it compacts a lot.

Yes, this exactly. I use the little silicone ones for the minis, and regular ones for the larger sizes.

sparkbunni
January 9th, 2016, 11:52 AM
Hello all! I'm Sami. I'm new to the forums, and I have veeeeeeeeery thin, fine hair. I was wondering if anyone has any advise on stretching washes? My hair tends to take on the shape of the pillow or however it laid at night and imo it looks ridiculous if I don't shower in the morning. But I'm afraid it's hurting my growth and possibly contributing to hair loss. Any suggestions? Thanks and I'm looking forward to getting to know y'all! :)

Diana_Prince
January 9th, 2016, 12:56 PM
Hello all! I'm Sami. I'm new to the forums, and I have veeeeeeeeery thin, fine hair. I was wondering if anyone has any advise on stretching washes? My hair tends to take on the shape of the pillow or however it laid at night and imo it looks ridiculous if I don't shower in the morning. But I'm afraid it's hurting my growth and possibly contributing to hair loss. Any suggestions? Thanks and I'm looking forward to getting to know y'all! :)

First of all, welcome!! :waving: I wash my hair twice a week. It's rare for me to get presentable 2nd day hair or beyond so I rely on up-dos for those days. Sorry, wish I had more advice but I'm sure one of the other lovely ladies on here will chime in. Good luck!!:thumbsup:

Diana_Prince
January 9th, 2016, 01:33 PM
P.S. I also recommend a satin pillowcase!

lapushka
January 9th, 2016, 03:15 PM

Try looking for tips in the stretching washes thread. HTH. :)

diddiedaisy
January 9th, 2016, 09:38 PM
I've just measured my pony circumference, I measure a high pony at my crown and a pony at my nape. It's generally the same, but today there is a difference of 1/4 inch by the time my hair has reached my nape. I thought it was looking thinner at the ends. I'm getting a bit fed up of this circle I seem to be stuck in. :(

Neecola
January 11th, 2016, 11:39 AM
Thanks rags and lillielil, I'm definitely going to try that!

silver curls
January 13th, 2016, 08:45 AM

Never thought of that. Thanks. Good tip. My hair is fine, as in density. My first time posting on this thread. Am going to go back and do some reading here.

beefox
January 13th, 2016, 11:45 AM
Does anyone have pictures of thin/fine hair in an updo or bun with a flexi8? I combed through this thread and the flexi8 thread and I couldn't find any. :(

Neecola
January 14th, 2016, 11:52 AM
Ok, I did the trick with the hair elastic on my small flexi and it is holding my hair!! :cheer: I think I'll have to re-adjust soon but it's been in for 4 hours without moving too much. Thanks guys!

rags
January 14th, 2016, 01:15 PM
Yay, you're welcome Neecola - glad it helped!

Beefox I have both thin and fine hair. I haven't any current pictures, as I chopped due to a massive shed from illness/medications. But I have some from about a year and a half ago when my hair was down past hip. My hair was about 1.75" pony here - and it's baby fine.

This is a large flexi - still too big even at this length
http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv18/raggsj38/hair%20photos/Hairtoy%20challenge/016500x375-3.jpg (http://s665.photobucket.com/user/raggsj38/media/hair%20photos/Hairtoy%20challenge/016500x375-3.jpg.html)

Another too-big large

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv18/raggsj38/hair%20photos/Hairtoy%20challenge/012500x375.jpg (http://s665.photobucket.com/user/raggsj38/media/hair%20photos/Hairtoy%20challenge/012500x375.jpg.html)

I adore my minis for half-ups
http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv18/raggsj38/hair%20photos/Hairtoy%20challenge/001500x375-16.jpg (http://s665.photobucket.com/user/raggsj38/media/hair%20photos/Hairtoy%20challenge/001500x375-16.jpg.html)

And here is a medium - now that's better! It was taken within two weeks of taking the large pic (I was doing the hairtoy challenge thread so I know, LOL). I have to use nautilus buns or something with a lot in the middle to make flexis work for me in updos, else they slide right out.
http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv18/raggsj38/hair%20photos/Hairtoy%20challenge/007500x375-3.jpg (http://s665.photobucket.com/user/raggsj38/media/hair%20photos/Hairtoy%20challenge/007500x375-3.jpg.html)

Mini and a Ketylo (I was desperate to finish the challenge at this stage, and also bored with my remaining toys, so doubling up! )

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv18/raggsj38/hair%20photos/Hairtoy%20challenge/036500x375-2.jpg (http://s665.photobucket.com/user/raggsj38/media/hair%20photos/Hairtoy%20challenge/036500x375-2.jpg.html)

Indigo Girl
January 14th, 2016, 01:17 PM
Ahh, so beautiful rags! :inlove:

lapushka
January 14th, 2016, 01:52 PM
Ahh, so beautiful rags! :inlove:

If that is i hair I am amazed. I have almost the same thickness of bun at iii (though layered).

rags
January 14th, 2016, 02:28 PM
Thank you, IndigoGirl! :flower:

Lapushka, that was the thickest my hair has been in many years, (it was definitely 1.75", because I had several people measure it as I was so excited it has finally gotten past 1.5"!) plus the angle to get a good pic of the flexis makes the bun look much larger.

I do confess to taking them at flattering angles when I can! :p Also, I can wear looser buns with flexis when my hair is long enough.

For comparison here's one taken within a month or so with a 5" stick

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv18/raggsj38/hair%20photos/Hairtoy%20challenge/038500x375-2.jpg (http://s665.photobucket.com/user/raggsj38/media/hair%20photos/Hairtoy%20challenge/038500x375-2.jpg.html)

beefox
January 14th, 2016, 02:37 PM
Thank you rags! You have such pretty hair!

lapushka
January 14th, 2016, 03:20 PM
Lapushka, that was the thickest my hair has been in many years, (it was definitely 1.75", because I had several people measure it as I was so excited it has finally gotten past 1.5"!) plus the angle to get a good pic of the flexis makes the bun look much larger.

I do confess to taking them at flattering angles when I can! :p Also, I can wear looser buns with flexis when my hair is long enough.

For comparison here's one taken within a month or so with a 5" stick

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv18/raggsj38/hair%20photos/Hairtoy%20challenge/038500x375-2.jpg (http://s665.photobucket.com/user/raggsj38/media/hair%20photos/Hairtoy%20challenge/038500x375-2.jpg.html)

Very pretty! :D :thumbsup:

Diana_Prince
January 14th, 2016, 04:06 PM
Thank you rags! You have such pretty hair!

I second that! :)

Neecola
January 15th, 2016, 11:32 AM
Great pics, rags! Love your sparkles :crush: I think a flexi mini will be the first toy I buy when my shopping hiatus ends!

So now that I know the trick to getting a flexi to stay in my hair, I'd like to try a bun. Which buns do you find hold well with a flexi?

SwordWomanRiona
January 15th, 2016, 04:50 PM
I'm considering trying a flexi. Have any of you had any luck with them? If so, what size do you prefer?

I really like flexis! I use mediums for low ponytails/braids and larges for length-shortening buns (I'm a fine-textured ii/iii)

SwordWomanRiona
January 15th, 2016, 04:57 PM
Beautiful hair and flexi's, rags :inlove:!

I'd need an extra-large or maybe even a mega to hold my whole length in an bun, I think (it compresses a lot but a Large isn't enough to hold it all), so I don't have any pics of updos with flexis yet, only of ponytails/braids and length-shortening buns (with a Large flexi):

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zuMH-CBZb5M/VJLWZ0PrA5I/AAAAAAAAA_8/ASyND2_5npY/s640/DSCN0527.JPG

Diana_Prince
January 15th, 2016, 07:23 PM
I really like flexis! I use mediums for low ponytails/braids and larges for length-shortening buns (I'm a fine-textured ii/iii)

You have beautiful hair!!:crush:

Arctic
January 16th, 2016, 02:43 AM
I don't have flexis, but I have a circular barette (like this but in silver (http://41.media.tumblr.com/89be8b2a6a5982f1da6ea2f50fd79a75/tumblr_ncnpcmRL9W1qe4p6do1_400.jpg)) that takes surprisingly lot of hair. When I bought it, I imagined using it, say, to hold my bangs to the side, or for half-up. I even bought two! Turns out one of these takes my WHOLE hair, really, I can make a ponytail with it! The hair can push itself out of the middle of the circle so there is nothing to really hold the hair, something I wasn't able to imagine beforehands.

I've been meaning to start a thread and ask questions about them, if someone has any ideas how to make them so that they would be more useful (they tend to glide downwards too, something I haven't really have to deal with since my hairtype change). BUT I am going to try the wrapping hairband around the back part, maybe I make it a rubberband for extra hold.

SwordWomanRiona
January 16th, 2016, 04:43 AM
Thank you, Diana_Prince :flower: ^^!

@Arctic Waiting for comments as well, because 99% of the barrettes I own slide down my hair as well, I can only use them as low-ponytail holders when I wear braids, or as accents for some updos :/ :lol:

Arctic
January 16th, 2016, 05:36 AM
Riona, I tried wrapping several of those mini, colourless silicone hair ties around the back bar of my barette, and although it's only been few hours, it does seem to help the barette to stay! The colourless elastics are nice also because, well, they are colourless :D

Agnes Hannah
January 16th, 2016, 11:17 AM
I don't have flexis, but I have a circular barette (like this but in silver (http://41.media.tumblr.com/89be8b2a6a5982f1da6ea2f50fd79a75/tumblr_ncnpcmRL9W1qe4p6do1_400.jpg)) that takes surprisingly lot of hair. When I bought it, I imagined using it, say, to hold my bangs to the side, or for half-up. I even bought two! Turns out one of these takes my WHOLE hair, really, I can make a ponytail with it! The hair can push itself out of the middle of the circle so there is nothing to really hold the hair, something I wasn't able to imagine beforehands.

I've been meaning to start a thread and ask questions about them, if someone has any ideas how to make them so that they would be more useful (they tend to glide downwards too, something I haven't really have to deal with since my hairtype change). BUT I am going to try the wrapping hairband around the back part, maybe I make it a rubberband for extra hold.

Hi Arctic, I have one exactly the same. I put it in, it fell out. I gave up.

SwordWomanRiona
January 16th, 2016, 12:16 PM
Riona, I tried wrapping several of those mini, colourless silicone hair ties around the back bar of my barette, and although it's only been few hours, it does seem to help the barette to stay! The colourless elastics are nice also because, well, they are colourless :D

I'll try that, thanks :)!

LongCurlyTress
February 5th, 2016, 09:44 AM

That is a great idea... as she runs off to go get her clear elastics...;) :run:

SaraJayne
February 5th, 2016, 11:27 AM
Oh gosh, I so belong here. I have fine, thin hair. Most hair accessories fall out of it. The only ones that seem to stay put are some of the sprung slides which I use to hold the hair off my face. I struggle with up dos anyway as whatever I try to do, the resulting bun or braid or whatever looks ridiculously tiny.

I can get a little volume with dry shampoo which worked well when I used to straighten and brush, but now I wear my natural waves I can't rub it in without disturbing the wave pattern, so my hair is flat. Can flat hair be the in thing please? Can we set a trend? :)

Nettyx
February 5th, 2016, 11:30 AM
I'm all for flat hair being the "in thing". In fact flat hair with wispie flyaway bits would be even better. I am a trend setter!

SaraJayne
February 5th, 2016, 11:47 AM
I'm all for flat hair being the "in thing". In fact flat hair with wispie flyaway bits would be even better. I am a trend setter!

If two of us makes it a trend, we're in business :D

rags
February 5th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Three! :lol:

teal
February 5th, 2016, 12:07 PM
Four! :rollin:

SaraJayne
February 5th, 2016, 11:29 PM
Yay, soon everyone will want to be just like us :cool:

Mirabele
February 6th, 2016, 12:03 AM
my hair is like that too. I don't like that sliperiness.. Before LHC i did everything to counteract that, hair powder, salt powder, no conditioner, styling products. I don't treat my hair like that anymore because i realised how damaging it all was.. I have accepted now that good care for my hair actually means i will have slipery hair all the time, this is how my hair is when it is healthy and moisturised. I would love to get more grip and texture to make it easier for updos to hold but that would often mean that i have to avoid products that actually benefit for my hair (oils, conditioners) or even use damaging products.
I kind of hope longth will help a bit but until that i have to accept what it is :)

beraemcclary
February 7th, 2016, 12:50 AM
I feel like society and the hair industry has a lot of us convinced that fine hair is bad. I know I've felt bad about mine for some time. But really, fine hair can be beautiful in its own way. Romantic, even! And I've never had a bun or ponytail cause a headache :)

ravenheather
February 7th, 2016, 07:13 AM
Slippery hair is a blessing and a curse. It feels so soft but really does not want to stay up. I mist with water before I put it up if my hairtoy is waterproof. Spiral hairsticks and jeterforks are my go to toys.

Eta: I am totally in with making tiny hairdos the "it" thing. Everyone should have stealthy ninja hair.

diddiedaisy
February 7th, 2016, 08:13 AM
http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag361/sblackburn4/Mobile%20Uploads/8EF8E31F-2669-4FFC-961D-DB5ACE8E0479_zpsk5kimnqt.jpg (http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/sblackburn4/media/Mobile%20Uploads/8EF8E31F-2669-4FFC-961D-DB5ACE8E0479_zpsk5kimnqt.jpg.html)

I have the thinnest braid in the world lol

SaraJayne
February 7th, 2016, 11:31 AM
I feel like society and the hair industry has a lot of us convinced that fine hair is bad. I know I've felt bad about mine for some time.

Yes... this!

So good to find so many kindred spirits. My only friends who have fine/thin hair like me have resorted to extensions, but I hate when you can see where they are attached. I want to make the bet of what I've got.

lapushka
February 7th, 2016, 04:35 PM
http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag361/sblackburn4/Mobile%20Uploads/8EF8E31F-2669-4FFC-961D-DB5ACE8E0479_zpsk5kimnqt.jpg (http://s1373.photobucket.com/user/sblackburn4/media/Mobile%20Uploads/8EF8E31F-2669-4FFC-961D-DB5ACE8E0479_zpsk5kimnqt.jpg.html)

You're about my mom's thickness, I would say. She can do a lot with her hair. In her 40s (she's 70 now) she wore it in a bee-butt bun on the top of her head with thick bangs. It was past BSL then.

kdaniels8811
February 7th, 2016, 05:33 PM
Diddiedaisy - I can beat that thinness! My hair is about the diameter of a pencil. I have taken to braiding a paranda into mine to give it a "normal" size bun.

Frankenstein
February 7th, 2016, 08:10 PM
I feel like society and the hair industry has a lot of us convinced that fine hair is bad. I know I've felt bad about mine for some time. But really, fine hair can be beautiful in its own way. Romantic, even! And I've never had a bun or ponytail cause a headache :)

So true. I used to feel really bad about mine and still do occasionally but I can't change the fact that my hair just naturally grows out of my head this way, so why agonize over it? :lol:

TheGray
February 7th, 2016, 08:14 PM
Does anyone with thin fine hair have advice on coconut oil treatments? Since my hair is so thin it tends to get flat and dirty looking rather easily, so for the past few years I've been washing my hair every other day. Once a week or so I will put coconut oil in throutout my hair and scalp and let it sit for an hour before shampooing and conditioning my hair. Though this makes my hair super soft, my hair looks a little oily after and it's tough not to wash it again the next day. Should i shampoo twice when I'm washing the coconut oil out? It's tough finding a balance between moisturizing fine hair and just making it look dirty :rolleyes:

missrandie
February 7th, 2016, 08:45 PM
Don't forget that fine and thin hairs are both ethereal and elven :)

ArienEllariel
February 7th, 2016, 09:42 PM
Am I the only fine haired person who can't keep a flexi 8 in my hair for a regular ponytail? I can do a half up just fine but for some reason a regular pony slides right out.

Frankenstein
February 7th, 2016, 10:06 PM
Does anyone with thin fine hair have advice on coconut oil treatments? Since my hair is so thin it tends to get flat and dirty looking rather easily, so for the past few years I've been washing my hair every other day. Once a week or so I will put coconut oil in throutout my hair and scalp and let it sit for an hour before shampooing and conditioning my hair. Though this makes my hair super soft, my hair looks a little oily after and it's tough not to wash it again the next day. Should i shampoo twice when I'm washing the coconut oil out? It's tough finding a balance between moisturizing fine hair and just making it look dirty :rolleyes:

For me, less is much more when it comes to oil. Usually once a week I put coconut oil in my hair and leave it in for 24 hours before washing it out, but it will always look a bit greasy after unless I use a very small amount. It comes out well enough with just one shampoo, and not a length wash, just my roots. How much do you use? You often hear that a "fingernail scraping" is a good amount but less than that may also work for you.

TheGray
February 7th, 2016, 10:19 PM
Oh wow haha a fingernail scraping?? I used a spoonful... Granted, I was trying to coat my scalp and all of my hair rather than put a small enough in to go out in public.. but clearly I'm using way too much :laugh: Maybe in a few days i'll try it out with just a few drops, and see if it still gets super soft minus the oiliness

beraemcclary
February 7th, 2016, 11:03 PM
Yes, I cringe when I see tracks too.

But even when they're blended, the inevitable mismatch of color, texture, thickness, and sheen looks crazy to me! Not to mention the expense and upkeep, oof.

Frankenstein
February 7th, 2016, 11:24 PM
Oh wow haha a fingernail scraping?? I used a spoonful... Granted, I was trying to coat my scalp and all of my hair rather than put a small enough in to go out in public.. but clearly I'm using way too much :laugh: Maybe in a few days i'll try it out with just a few drops, and see if it still gets super soft minus the oiliness

The first time I used coconut oil, I heated up the whole jar and dipped my hair into it :lol: You can imagine what a mess that ended up being...

Mirabele
February 8th, 2016, 02:05 AM

my braid looks about like that too :)
this is a fish tail, so it looks a bit thicker: (Sorry for that big image, i am going to resize it when i find out how!
http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp10/Mirabele_krist/f5e57027-b799-49b7-b891-de1d08a58004_zpstiy6oqrb.jpg

for my hair, with coconut oil best to use it very little. or, heavy oiling as overnight treatment. it looks greasy with coconut for me, yes. i use lighter oils as a leave-ins (jojoba or camelia, these doesn't make my hair graesy, but i use on the ends only as a leave-in). when overnight heavy treatment, i don't mind it looking greasy because i wash in the morning and then it normally washes out.
i don't think washing twice is ok, because shampoo dries your hair, so you kind of loosing the moisture. i believe is better to experiment and find the amount (or type) of oil that washes out easy.

diddiedaisy
February 8th, 2016, 02:12 AM

I use coconut oil a lot overnight. I find that if you soak a bit of conditioner in it before you wash it comes out fine. I never shampoo twice

Dutchy43
February 8th, 2016, 06:04 AM
I have super fine and thin hair. But after starting my SO routine, it became noticably thicker. Now I await the babyhairs to grow.

diddiedaisy
February 8th, 2016, 07:54 AM
You're about my mom's thickness, I would say. She can do a lot with her hair. In her 40s (she's 70 now) she wore it in a bee-butt bun on the top of her head with thick bangs. It was past BSL then.

yeah I can get a sort of bee-but bun going, very puny though. I generally just wear my hair in a claw grip (I've been no hair bands since September), but the other day I had a long car journey and didn't want a big clip in as I have a habit of banging my head against the head rest when the car goes over big bumps lol. I did it like that just to get it out of the way, I was a bit embarrassed by my braid though!!!

kdaniels8811, a paranda braid is a good idea, I need to branch out and learn new things but I'm still waiting for my skill set to come :)

ravenheather
February 8th, 2016, 09:56 AM
Am I the only fine haired person who can't keep a flexi 8 in my hair for a regular ponytail? I can do a half up just fine but for some reason a regular pony slides right out.

Nope. I can't either. Wish I could.

SaraJayne
February 8th, 2016, 10:33 AM
The first time I used coconut oil, I heated up the whole jar and dipped my hair into it :lol: You can imagine what a mess that ended up being...

Thanks for sharing this, it made me laugh loads! I can just imagine... :bigeyes:

TheGray
February 8th, 2016, 10:38 AM

Hahaha that's fantastic :p I didn't go to quite that extreme but the first time I tried it, I filled a small cup and just kinda drizzled it over the top of my head, getting oil EVERYWHERE as it rolled down and dripped off

And thank you everyone else, Mirabele maybe I'll buy some other oils to try out, if the jojoba and camelia oils don't make your ends look greasy

Jupiter Jones
February 8th, 2016, 04:00 PM
Hi, I just joined the LHC and came across this thread, as I naturally have very fine, frail hair as well. I used to hate it so much before I realized that instead of trying to change it, I have to adapt to it. I tried a ton of things and am now almost completely happy with the way it is (almost;P). At least I really enjoy having it now. Maybe it can help someone?
Anyway; the first thing that I noticed is the effect of washing my hair in cold water and letting it air dry. Every single time. (It helps to do it overhead so you don't have to freeze your entire body^.^). Took me a while to realize that, and now I can't even remember the last time I used a hair dryer. Brings my (thin) natural waves back and makes it sooooo fluffy!
The other thing is that I try to use as little product as possible. Shampoo, conditioner, an oil and a treatment every now and then. I lost all of my natural curls (still thin) many years ago due to harsh treatment and I'm happy to have at least a few waves back that seem to be quite healthy... Even my scalp hair stands up a little, much more fluffy than the flat rug it used to be. But: it did take a while. In contrast, I also notice the difference washing with hot water can make, even just few times.

So these are a few things I can think of for thin hair. :) I realize though that the effect still depends on the individual factor.

Does anyone have the same problem with lightly frizzy hair after brushing due to wavy structure and general thin-ness? How do you deal with that?! It makes my hair look... a unhealthy from further away... :/

lillielil
February 8th, 2016, 04:06 PM
Does anyone have the same problem with lightly frizzy hair after brushing due to wavy structure and general thin-ness? How do you deal with that?! It makes my hair look... a unhealthy from further away... :/

Yes. I deal with it by A) not brushing and B) wearing it up. No frizz that way. For it to look decent down, it needs to spend some quality time in a bun first. I find that greatly helps smooth the frizz and align my waves.

AutobotsAttack
February 8th, 2016, 04:22 PM
Hey guys. I have a question. Has anyone had any luck with serums? I've been using the Garnier Fructose Moroccan Argan Oil Serum, however its too light, and I was at Walmart and Sally's recently looking at other ones and most of the ones I see are too heavy. So if anyone could list some other serums that aren't as popular but work very well?

Also I wanna know if anyone has tried GHE method? Stands for Green House Effect? I've used this method for years, and it really helps moisturize my hair, and keep my scalp moisturized because I have a dry scalp too.

rags
February 8th, 2016, 04:24 PM
I find that with coconut oil, using conditioner on it to get it out first, then shampooing, works for me. (And my first time I used 1/4 of a cup! My hair was literally dripping! :p It took me about a week to get it all out.)

I can't wear a flexi for a pony just by itself. However, if I wrap the pin with a clear elastic (or a thicker one if it's just too big), then I can wear it with a pony. Without the elastic it just slowly slides right out of my hair. :(

Diddlesdaisy, your braid is beaituful - nothing to be embarrassed over! Mine is about that size (or maybe a little smaller). Wear it and be proud! Who says braids have to be thick to be pretty? I like yours!

Amapola
February 8th, 2016, 06:25 PM
I haven't used the GHE method, but lately I've been working with a new oil I found at Sally's. It's called Kendi oil. I always have a problem with my hair drying out in the winter, because it's so dry here. The average humidity is like 16%. Winter just intensifies it with the cold. So my hair dries out and then sticks to itself like Velcro, knotting up and causing me no end of grief. Now what I do is after I finish washing, and after my hair has started to dry (but is not dry yet) I put the Kendi oil on my hair. I can actually use a pretty big glob (but not a quarter of a cup! Or half a jar! :lol:) more like 10 drops in the palm of my hand. I only put it from the ear lobes down and most of it is on the ends. Well, for me - this works like a charm. My hair is not sticking to itself or knotting up and this is the first time ever that has happened. I had bought the stuff on a whim. That same company makes a deep conditioner called Bamboo or something and the jar has a picture of bamboo on it. I've used that conditioner and like it (although I think it smells kinda odd but you can't have everything) and since this oil was made by the same company I thought why not? Best purchase I've ever made.

roseomalley
February 8th, 2016, 07:30 PM
My hair gets weighed down so easily if I put too many products in it. I do condition the ends after shampooing and rinse the conditioner out. I use a few drops of Japanese Camellia oil on my length, after shampooing on damp hair. I would love to find a product to tame all the baby hairs sticking out on the sides in my updos and the frizzies at the base of my back hairline. (My hair is straight except for those stubborn frizzies.) I wish I could find a serum that would work and not weigh down my baby fine hair. :boohoo:

TheGray
February 8th, 2016, 07:48 PM
roseomalley are you wearing a flexi8 in your sig pic? And if so, do you know what size? I'm thinking of buying my first one tonight and not sure if x-small or small would be best to hold all of my hair

diddiedaisy
February 8th, 2016, 07:50 PM
my braid looks about like that too :)
this is a fish tail, so it looks a bit thicker: (Sorry for that big image, i am going to resize it when i find out how!
http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp10/Mirabele_krist/f5e57027-b799-49b7-b891-de1d08a58004_zpstiy6oqrb.jpg

Oh if only i could do things like that, it looks really nice :)

diddiedaisy
February 8th, 2016, 07:53 PM
I find that with coconut oil, using conditioner on it to get it out first, then shampooing, works for me. (And my first time I used 1/4 of a cup! My hair was literally dripping! :p It took me about a week to get it all out.)

I can't wear a flexi for a pony just by itself. However, if I wrap the pin with a clear elastic (or a thicker one if it's just too big), then I can wear it with a pony. Without the elastic it just slowly slides right out of my hair. :(

Diddlesdaisy, your braid is beaituful - nothing to be embarrassed over! Mine is about that size (or maybe a little smaller). Wear it and be proud! Who says braids have to be thick to be pretty? I like yours!

Thankyou :)

I also need to remember to try multi-quote reply!!!

roseomalley
February 8th, 2016, 08:48 PM
roseomalley are you wearing a flexi8 in your sig pic? And if so, do you know what size? I'm thinking of buying my first one tonight and not sure if x-small or small would be best to hold all of my hair

Hi, The Gray!
The flexi in my photo is an extra small. I can also use a mini for this style. I wear a small in updos but may graduate to a medium some day. My hair is mid-back length now.

TheGray
February 8th, 2016, 09:11 PM
Hi, The Gray!
The flexi in my photo is an extra small. I can also use a mini for this style. I wear a small in updos but may graduate to a medium some day. My hair is mid-back length now.

Thank you! I ordered an extra small, which should be enough for putting half my hair up and probably my pony. Judging from your picture my hair is about your thickness but justtt past my chin so I won't be doing undos for a while yet

Mirabele
February 9th, 2016, 01:22 AM
Hey guys. I have a question. Has anyone had any luck with serums? I've been using the Garnier Fructose Moroccan Argan Oil Serum, however its too light, and I was at Walmart and Sally's recently looking at other ones and most of the ones I see are too heavy. So if anyone could list some other serums that aren't as popular but work very well?

i havent been lucky. i want serum without cones but i wasn't been able to find. there also those that have no ingredient list on the bottles, and i am reluctant to use thse now.
if you are ok with cones, for me worked (was light enough) Morrocan oil treatment (the dark glass bottle with blue label), also Kerastase Elixir Ultime (green bottle). you have to be careful to use very little, like one drop. also, Loreal extraordinary oil is light enough for fine hair, but i don't think i've seen any effect on my hair from this one.

Oh if only i could do things like that, it looks really nice :)
thank you dear. i find that fish tail braid looks a bit thicker than the usual braid. my usual braid is so thin i am reluctant to wear it in public :)

i haven't tried any flexis, but it doesn't look like it is something that may work for me. i have too little and to slippery hair for that, i believe.

rags
February 9th, 2016, 03:45 PM
I think we all need to get over being afraid to wear braids in public! Thin braids are pretty too! I wear DOUBLE braids in public - and I'm a grandma :p.

Here's a pic of when my hair was at hip (cropped because I was on a large steroid dose at the time and look like a chipmunk) in double braids. They are so tiny you can barely see them! But I like them and so I wear them. I think they're kind of cute in their own flat way, anyway. :p
http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv18/raggsj38/hair%20photos/6dd2d360-a244-4ab7-a63d-fa1d3377e767.jpg (http://s665.photobucket.com/user/raggsj38/media/hair%20photos/6dd2d360-a244-4ab7-a63d-fa1d3377e767.jpg.html)

Arctic
February 9th, 2016, 03:54 PM
I like delicate braids, and I cannot lie!

roseomalley
February 9th, 2016, 08:16 PM
I think we all need to get over being afraid to wear braids in public! Thin braids are pretty too! I wear DOUBLE braids in public - and I'm a grandma :p.

Here's a pic of when my hair was at hip (cropped because I was on a large steroid dose at the time and look like a chipmunk) in double braids. They are so tiny you can barely see them! But I like them and so I wear them. I think they're kind of cute in their own flat way, anyway. :p
http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv18/raggsj38/hair%20photos/6dd2d360-a244-4ab7-a63d-fa1d3377e767.jpg (http://s665.photobucket.com/user/raggsj38/media/hair%20photos/6dd2d360-a244-4ab7-a63d-fa1d3377e767.jpg.html)

Your braids are so cute, Rags. :cheer: I do not wear double braids yet, as I make a mess at the back of my head and at the top of each braid. Still practicing. :thudpile:

DKSABS
February 9th, 2016, 10:55 PM
rags, your braids are adorable!

Silverbrumby
February 9th, 2016, 11:13 PM
I love them. So cute.

lapis_lazuli
February 10th, 2016, 12:57 AM
Those are some lovely braids, rags :flower: So elegant looking!

Sarahlabyrinth
February 10th, 2016, 01:01 AM
I do love your braids, rags! They are so sleek and elegant. Don't ever be ashamed to wear them anywhere, they look like a sleek fashion accessory! :)

Mirabele
February 10th, 2016, 01:55 AM

you lok beautiful and i like how your braids look! also, very stylish photo in black and white. double braids are very nice actually.
i wish i was more confident about my hair. i think it comes from because i grew up hearing my mother and my grandmother telling me that i have too thin hair.

diddiedaisy
February 10th, 2016, 03:32 AM
Rags, your braids look really cute. I think sometimes we are more critical of our own hair, and although we like something on somebody else we don't quite like it on us. For instance, some like fairytale ends on others but not on themselves. We're a funny bunch sometimes us women!!! It doesn't help living in a society full of hair extensions, it has given us a false sense of what real hair is I think.

slynr
February 10th, 2016, 05:02 AM
Beautiful braids, Rags!! Thank you for sharing. They look anazing!

ravenheather
February 10th, 2016, 05:06 AM
rags I love your braids. Just saying.

Unzadi
February 10th, 2016, 05:47 AM
Rags, your braids are stunning. Delicate and elegant. It's a style that has been worn for thousands of years, and for a reason - it looks good.

lapushka
February 10th, 2016, 08:12 AM

My mom uses a serum, but just one or two pumps - that's quite enough and not even coin size, rather pea size (2 pea sized amounts). It's how much you use of it, often times. So maybe try minimizing how much you use first, if at all possible.

The Garnier miraculous or marvelous (depending on where you are) oil is pretty nice!
Also the Kyrell serum from Aldi, but that might not be obtainable worldwide.

lillielil
February 10th, 2016, 08:25 AM
I didn't even see the original question, but my HG serum is Suave Professionals Moroccan Infusion Styling Oil (http://www.target.com/p/suave-professionals-moroccan-infusion-styling-oil-3-oz/-/A-14376196?ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=14376196&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Health%2BBeauty%2BShopping&adgroup=SC_Health%2BBeauty&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9019509&gclid=CjwKEAiA3Ou1BRDso5XyhduuwFASJABP3PEDRFOGxa7U uFMCZLAXzqXlpzTb3lFRdgs-5JckF968cxoCBNbw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds). I use two pumps at most. It is reliably slippery, not too heavy, and smells great.

rags
February 10th, 2016, 05:26 PM
Aw, thank you all! :flowers:

I just plain like braids, when my hands are up to doing them. I think they're beautiful, thick or thin.

DiddleDaisy - I totally understand what you mean by that. I've seen others wear things that I LOVE - on them. Just not on me. So I do get it. But I just feel sad that so many are embarrassed or ashamed to wear braids because their hair is fine/thin. I think all thicknesses of hair are beautiful - even if I'd not want it for myself necessarily. (I'd rather keep my puny 1.5" pony than have a 6" one, for instance! But I still love to ooh and aah over the 6" ones! )

AutobotsAttack
February 11th, 2016, 01:20 AM
My mom uses a serum, but just one or two pumps - that's quite enough and not even coin size, rather pea size (2 pea sized amounts). It's how much you use of it, often times. So maybe try minimizing how much you use first, if at all possible.

The Garnier miraculous or marvelous (depending on where you are) oil is pretty nice!
Also the Kyrell serum from Aldi, but that might not be obtainable worldwide.

I didn't even see the original question, but my HG serum is Suave Professionals Moroccan Infusion Styling Oil (http://www.target.com/p/suave-professionals-moroccan-infusion-styling-oil-3-oz/-/A-14376196?ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=14376196&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Health%2BBeauty%2BShopping&adgroup=SC_Health%2BBeauty&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9019509&gclid=CjwKEAiA3Ou1BRDso5XyhduuwFASJABP3PEDRFOGxa7U uFMCZLAXzqXlpzTb3lFRdgs-5JckF968cxoCBNbw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds). I use two pumps at most. It is reliably slippery, not too heavy, and smells great.

Thanks Lapushka. And yes in Texas in the USA we have tons of Aldi markets. Its been relatively new for about three years now, so I'll go shopping around in there and test out some things.

And Lillie, I've never really tried any of the suave products so I'll sample that suggestion when I get paid again. So I'll have like three serums I'll try out when I go again

diddiedaisy
February 11th, 2016, 03:47 AM
What??????? People have 6 inch pony circumferences? Wow!!!

ArienEllariel
February 11th, 2016, 06:00 PM
Can anyone recommend some buns that won't slip and slide right out of my hair? I'd like to try more buns with sticks (between bsl and waist right now) but it seems my hair doesn't like to hold.

Agnes Hannah
February 12th, 2016, 12:47 PM
Can anyone recommend some buns that won't slip and slide right out of my hair? I'd like to try more buns with sticks (between bsl and waist right now) but it seems my hair doesn't like to hold.

Hi ArienEllariel, have you tried braiding the first part of the bun, it can anchor hair into place, like a french plait. In fact braided all the way down and made into a bun looks lovely.
My hair is fine and slippery, I have it in a cinnamon bun held with a claw on the side of the bun right now. That works for me when my hair doesn't want to behave.

Rags, I love love love the braids, they are super adorable!

rags
February 13th, 2016, 08:07 AM
Thanks, AgnesHannah! :flower:

I can't reliably hold buns with any sticks other than Ketylos (something about the corkscrew shape) in my Houdini hair until close to waist. What I do if mine is being especially slippery is mist it slightly so that it is just a bit damp; that helps.

The most secure bun for a stick I've found is the Hypnobun. After that it would probably be the Nautilus, I think.

lapushka
February 13th, 2016, 09:44 AM
Thanks Lapushka. And yes in Texas in the USA we have tons of Aldi markets. Its been relatively new for about three years now, so I'll go shopping around in there and test out some things.

I love our Aldi body care products (brands: Mildeen, Expert, Kyrell). But that will vary locally. Aldi has good quality products though, and they aren't expensive. Not everything is great, but that goes for regular supermarkets as well. So... :shrug:

ravenheather
February 15th, 2016, 07:00 PM
Mamacat sticks are by far the most secure sticks for me.

rags
February 15th, 2016, 08:08 PM
Mamacat sticks are by far the most secure sticks for me.

Really? I may have to try mine again when my hair gets longer. I find Ketylos to work better for me - but we have almost identical stats. That difference between my (i) thickness and your (ii) may be the difference. I do like my Mamacats however. I'll give them more of a chance later then, thanks!

ravenheather
February 16th, 2016, 07:13 PM
Yeah rags for me they are that much better. It's the spiral shape. I got rid of my one pair of corkscrew mamas in favor of the other ones.

lithostoic
February 18th, 2016, 05:44 PM
My hair is fine near the front of my head a medium towards the back. My hairdresser said I shouldn't grow my hair past APL unless it's layered or it'll look stringy :/ How true is this? I don't always trust the opinions of those who make money from cutting off hair.

Frankenstein
February 18th, 2016, 08:08 PM
lithostoic, probably not true at all. Hairdressers are inclined to tell people things like that so you'll come in regularly for trims = more $$$.

lithostoic
February 18th, 2016, 09:54 PM
lithostoic, probably not true at all. Hairdressers are inclined to tell people things like that so you'll come in regularly for trims = more $$$.

Yeah that's what I thought, that's why I asked here c: Thanks!

Arctic
February 19th, 2016, 02:00 AM
My hair is fine near the front of my head a medium towards the back. My hairdresser said I shouldn't grow my hair past APL unless it's layered or it'll look stringy :/ How true is this? I don't always trust the opinions of those who make money from cutting off hair.

Some hair types are more prone to stringy look, but even if yours would be in that category, you can affect the look a lot by product choices, styling and ofcourse updos/braids. Then, for example, build-up and too heavy/oily products can cause stringiness too.

Some hair dressers are awesome with all lengths of hair, some are specialized strongly on shorter styles, some are straight forwardly supportive of long hair. If the stylist in question isn't supportive of long hair they likely see longer lengths as a "sculpting material" for their artistic creations. I have had these hair dressers in the past when I had short hair, and I loved it! But it can be bad news for longhairs.

Another thing is, that it's not like suddenly your hair would transform into medusa hair when you get past APL (that might be cool :ponder: ), even if the hair dresser wants to lead you think you so. Her technique sounds like a not-so-great manipulation by feeding people's insecurities.

And, like you said, they make more money from regular clients.

I'd say don't give too much heed to negative comments, whether from hair industry professional or others. If you love longer hair, then you will simply feel better about yourself when you have your hair long. No stylist can argue with that. Grow your hair out and see how you like it (if this is the first time your are on the journey). Good luck!

rags
February 19th, 2016, 10:41 AM
My hair is baby fine, thin and yes, looks stringy at longer lengths if not freshly combed/brushed. However - I rarely wear it down at longer lengths because 1. it's fragile and 2. it's annoying. :p . When I do wear it down, I use certain conditioners/leave-ins that help, and I carry a comb and comb it periodically. That seems to work just fine. If I'm doing something where I can't comb it regularly, then it goes up or into a braid.

Even with my 1.5" pony, it really doesn't look stringy until past BSL - and my hair isn't medium in the back, it's very very fine everywhere except for a very few rogue silver hairs. I DO find that with finer hair a lot of times layers will make the it look MORE stringy. You will have to experiment with your own hair, but that's been what I've found.

I agree with Arctic that it sounds like she is trying to manipulate you. Do what you like! I can't tell you how many times I've been told I needed layers (yeah, so my thin hair can look even thinner!) and can't wear my hair past shoulder or it will look awful. Well, it's funny. Some of those same stylists LIKED my hair when it got long! So do what you want to do!

Mzteaze
February 19th, 2016, 02:42 PM
Following this thread because I also have fine hair.

I've never loved layers because they are difficult to grow out and require more maintenance via a salon.

lapushka
February 19th, 2016, 02:51 PM
Following this thread because I also have fine hair.

I've never loved layers because they are difficult to grow out and require more maintenance via a salon.

Ever hear of the self-trimming options on this site?

There's Feye's self-trimming method for blunt ends (U-shape, V-shape, blunt), and there's the compact cut layering techniques. So there are options. Maybe take your time and read up on stuff here a little. ;) We don't need no stinkin' salons! There! :lol:

Agnes Hannah
February 20th, 2016, 10:54 AM
[QUOTE=Arctic;3174110]Some hair types are more prone to stringy look, but even if yours would be in that category, you can affect the look a lot by product choices, styling and ofcourse updos/braids. Then, for example, build-up and too heavy/oily products can cause stringiness too.

Some hair dressers are awesome with all lengths of hair, some are specialized strongly on shorter styles, some are straight forwardly supportive of long hair. If the stylist in question isn't supportive of long hair they likely see longer lengths as a "sculpting material" for their artistic creations. I have had these hair dressers in the past when I had short hair, and I loved it! But it can be bad news for longhairs.

Another thing is, that it's not like suddenly your hair would transform into medusa hair when you get past APL (that might be cool :ponder: ), even if the hair dresser wants to lead you think you so. Her technique sounds like a not-so-great manipulation by feeding people's insecurities.

Now that does sound cool, I love snakes! But unfortunately, no. It just grows longer. It looks fine short, it looks fine long, and that is fine by me. Remember the LHC mantra, I am not here to decorate your world. (shame about the snakes though)

lithostoic
February 20th, 2016, 04:27 PM
Yes I do like snakes, so that'd be cool haha. I actually used to have dreadlocks, but they always looked bad in pics even though they looked great irl. So I have no photos.

beraemcclary
February 20th, 2016, 10:53 PM
I didn't see any threads like this in the index to important threads, but conditioner first followed by shampoo has been a revelation for my fine hair. Shampooing last makes sure all the conditioner is rinsed out, which is critical for my ridiculously fine texture. Any added weight at all makes it limp and stringy. Shampoo last gives it so much more volume, body, and movement.

lithostoic
February 20th, 2016, 11:19 PM
beraemcclary I've noticed the same! If my hair is feeling particularly greasy I'll do shampoo conditioner and quick shampoo again. Usually the water rinses in between wash days are enough to keep it from getting that oily though.

Mzteaze
February 21st, 2016, 01:12 AM
Ever hear of the self-trimming options on this site?

There's Feye's self-trimming method for blunt ends (U-shape, V-shape, blunt), and there's the compact cut layering techniques. So there are options. Maybe take your time and read up on stuff here a little. ;) We don't need no stinkin' salons! There! :lol:

Awesome. I've never heard of those but will certainly check into it. I really need to invest in a good set of shears for trimming my hair. That's next on my list of needs.

I don't miss my former frequent visits to a salon. I used to go either once every other week or once a week. Sad to say, even unstyled, my hair looks better now than it did then. If only I could get that money back.

Willow1321
February 21st, 2016, 10:21 PM
Hello! I'm going to follow this thread. I'm new here. Definitely have fine hair. Super, super fine. It's not thin, though - circumference ranges from 3.5 - nearly 4" depending on how recently I've washed it. So far I can only go every other day without washing, even by the end of the first day, it looks completely weighed down and flat. On my next wash I'm going to try and condition first, see how my hair likes it. I also /almost/ have some nice waves, any advice on how to get them to come out more?

beraemcclary
February 22nd, 2016, 01:30 AM
I absolutely do not trust hair dressers when it comes to growing out hair, especially with my texture. I'm in the bottom 5% in terms of thickness and density and most stylists just don't have experience with my hair texture so they want to chop as much off as possible. The usual strategies of thinning it out and layering it to create volume just don't work for me.

rags
February 22nd, 2016, 12:34 PM
I absolutely do not trust hair dressers when it comes to growing out hair, especially with my texture. I'm in the bottom 5% in terms of thickness and density and most stylists just don't have experience with my hair texture so they want to chop as much off as possible. The usual strategies of thinning it out and layering it to create volume just don't work for me.

I'm right there with you, beramcclary!

Cg
March 4th, 2016, 02:59 PM
Thank you to the gals with comments on hair sticks. I'm new here and hadn't heard about Ketylos and Mamacats so I'll check those out. I've had no luck with any sticks so far -- they just immediately pull my teensy little buns away from the scalp causing headaches. And of course the paranoid fear of pulling even one strand out.