PDA

View Full Version : The Random Hair Thoughts Megathread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 [107] 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179

Sarahlabyrinth
May 15th, 2018, 06:57 PM
One of my favourite times of the day is when I do my daily updo in the morning - deciding what to do, which hair toys to use and wondering whether to try a new style or not. Plus handling of my hair, seeing how the light plays across it, feeling the silkiness etc. It's a pleasure to look forward to every morning.

lithostoic
May 15th, 2018, 08:08 PM
Did a final rinse with my head upside down ... so far I'm not impressed. I have a giant mass of hair at my nape with some layers hanging down. Hopefully it isn't a nightmare to detangle in the morning. I'm willing to try anything at this point I'm so fed up with my hair.

Milady_DeWinter
May 16th, 2018, 12:39 AM
One of my favourite times of the day is when I do my daily updo in the morning - deciding what to do, which hair toys to use and wondering whether to try a new style or not. Plus handling of my hair, seeing how the light plays across it, feeling the silkiness etc. It's a pleasure to look forward to every morning.

Yes, it's the same for me! And putting up my hair for the day feels fantastic :D

Sarahlabyrinth
May 16th, 2018, 03:14 AM
Yes, it's the same for me! And putting up my hair for the day feels fantastic :D

It does :D

lithostoic
May 16th, 2018, 06:43 AM
I wish putting my hair up was a joyous experience! I find it frustrating :c

C_Bookworm
May 16th, 2018, 07:31 AM
About a month ago I ordered faux-leather cord to make some DIY flexi-8s. They were coming from far away, so by the time they showed up I didn’t remember what was supposed to be in the package. You can imagine how big my eyes got when a package showed up with this label:

https://i.imgur.com/sqvRtOC.jpg

Terrifying:rollin:

vpatt
May 16th, 2018, 08:11 AM
Lady and Sarah, that is such a nice picture in my mind of you both brushing out your hair and putting it up. I enjoy mine being long, but I'm never completely happy with how it goes up.....I am really enjoying braids right now, tho.

pili
May 16th, 2018, 08:18 AM
Lately, braids are about the most effort I can put into my hair. I think I am hitting a transition length were my solid buns no longer hold or the ends can now fight their way out.

Zesty
May 16th, 2018, 09:03 AM
I also love my time putting up my hair in the morning. Even if I often don't have tons of time for it. I enjoy my evening routine of oiling as well. :o

MoonRabbit
May 16th, 2018, 10:23 AM
Don't know how I feel about those brushing and hair play videos on Youtube...Since I have watched my share of hair videos, those are always in my recommended. I clicked on one today and never knew it was only a preview and they actually charge for the full video. And the comments under the video are so creepy.

I get that some people are into that and you do you thing, But it just gave me the heebie jeebies

littlestarface
May 16th, 2018, 10:42 AM
Don't know how I feel about those brushing and hair play videos on Youtube...Since I have watched my share of hair videos, those are always in my recommended. I clicked on one today and never knew it was only a preview and they actually charge for the full video. And the comments under the video are so creepy.

I get that some people are into that and you do you thing, But it just gave me the heebie jeebies

I think Its so weird I especially hate those bun dropping videos so lame creepy and who cares! Its odd how someone will record themselves brushing their hair.

EdG
May 16th, 2018, 10:57 AM
I can't imagine anyone wanting to watch me comb my hair. :rollin:
Ed

littlestarface
May 16th, 2018, 10:58 AM
I can't imagine anyone wanting to watch me comb my hair. :rollin:
Ed

:rollin: Same!

AmaryllisRed
May 16th, 2018, 12:31 PM
I dread doing my hair in the morning. I never have time to get it the way that I want it and I feel like I'm being selfish if I take the time. I only like it if I do it after the kids are asleep, and then it's late and no one sees it.

Lanalavallama
May 16th, 2018, 01:19 PM
This Hask deep conditioner smells amazing.
I hope my hair retains this smell if I DC overnight.

Guitargod
May 16th, 2018, 03:49 PM
A bit of a paradox - the less often you trim the more important it is to use real hair styling scissors...

Milady_DeWinter
May 16th, 2018, 04:15 PM
Need to wash my hair tomorrow morning, tonight I'm too tired and it's also too late yet... :shrug: I'll try my new Garnier hair mask with argan and camelia, by now I only can tell that it smells good :)

lithostoic
May 16th, 2018, 05:25 PM
I want to buy some hair toys but I don't know what colors would look good on me!

PS: how do you stop hair from being stringy?? I swear an hour passes and I have to brush it again.

wo
May 16th, 2018, 06:41 PM
I bought the (new? I think) Garnier Sleek and Shine Zero conditioner one time, and now I can't find it anywhere to get a second bottle. 😑 I absolutely LOVE the smell and my hair loves it. Where did it go!

Zesty
May 16th, 2018, 07:12 PM
I want to buy some hair toys but I don't know what colors would look good on me!

Figuring out that purple is my hair's favorite color was very useful to me, now it's easier to pick! But it was definitely trial and error for me to figure out what looks good. Hope you find what you think looks best!

Eastbound&Down
May 16th, 2018, 07:34 PM
Those people make money that kind of video.

lithostoic
May 16th, 2018, 07:44 PM
Figuring out that purple is my hair's favorite color was very useful to me, now it's easier to pick! But it was definitely trial and error for me to figure out what looks good. Hope you find what you think looks best!

Thank you!

Rowdy
May 16th, 2018, 08:31 PM

PS: how do you stop hair from being stringy?? I swear an hour passes and I have to brush it again.

When I first started to be able to wear buns I went and got a huge box of colored pencils to see what went with my hair. It was pretty accurate! I should probably get that box out again now that almost all the dye is gone...

AmaryllisRed
May 16th, 2018, 09:35 PM
When I first started to be able to wear buns I went and got a huge box of colored pencils to see what went with my hair. It was pretty accurate! I should probably get that box out again now that almost all the dye is gone...

Great idea!

MoonRabbit
May 16th, 2018, 09:39 PM

Maybe something similar to your eye color?

school of fish
May 16th, 2018, 09:47 PM

The only things that work for me are frequent washing, frequent brushing/combing, and telling myself it looks 'beachy' 😉

Some things that make mine appear more stringey - damp bunning, stretching washes, any kind of leave-in or product, letting it airdry without combing it out periodically as it dries.

Milady_DeWinter
May 17th, 2018, 01:51 AM

Now that's a GREAT idea! :D

Lady Stardust
May 17th, 2018, 02:11 AM

The only things that work for me are frequent washing, frequent brushing/combing, and telling myself it looks 'beachy' ��

Some things that make mine appear more stringey - damp bunning, stretching washes, any kind of leave-in or product, letting it airdry without combing it out periodically as it dries.

Is stringy hair something to do with the waves wanting to form locks, but the waves in type 1b or 1c maybe don’t have strong enough conviction that’s what they want to do? Even if that’s the case I don’t know what the solution is but I’d be interested to learn.

Hasse
May 17th, 2018, 02:24 AM
Weird that the first inch or so of my roots seem to soak up more oil than the rest of my hair, that's been dyed multiple times. Now I am an inverted greaseball xD

Natashap
May 17th, 2018, 03:55 AM
Tired of frequent washing......

lithostoic
May 17th, 2018, 06:34 AM
Thanks you guys! Will definitely pull out my colored pencils when I get home from work. And yes, I think the stringiness is what wavies and curlies call "definition" but it just don't look right on straight hair, haha.

Stray_mind
May 17th, 2018, 12:31 PM
I shed this hair monster today during a wash.... Is this Normal? Lol... I didn't comb my hair today and put it up, but it still scared me...

https://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn256/angel_corpse_album/20180517_211749_zpsv5sar0dt.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn256/angel_corpse_album/20180517_211749_zpsv5sar0dt.jpg

JeniBear
May 17th, 2018, 01:01 PM
Random hair thought...”what is my actual terminal length?”. I’ve had short hair since grade 2 so I really don’t know lol If I had a nickel for every time I wondered that....

Jo Ann
May 17th, 2018, 02:32 PM
I shed this hair monster today during a wash.... Is this Normal? Lol... I didn't comb my hair today and put it up, but it still scared me...

https://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn256/angel_corpse_album/20180517_211749_zpsv5sar0dt.jpg

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn256/angel_corpse_album/20180517_211749_zpsv5sar0dt.jpg

It would be normal for ME...kinda puny for me, too... :p

Milady_DeWinter
May 17th, 2018, 03:07 PM
Lol I'd say that I shed that any day as a minimum xD I wouldn't worry by now Stray Mind :grouphug:

Larki
May 17th, 2018, 03:36 PM
I have to wear a braid or bun for my job (restaurant) and now it's getting too long to wear in a braid. Keeps swinging around and trying to get in things. But I can't find a reliable hair-friendly updo :c

There are like two hundred reliable, hair-friendly updos on LHC! Lol

lithostoic
May 17th, 2018, 03:59 PM
There are like two hundred reliable, hair-friendly updos on LHC! Lol

I'm at an awkward length. Buns that worked a few months ago explode within an hour.

Crystawni
May 17th, 2018, 04:03 PM
I'm at an awkward length. Buns that worked a few months ago explode within an hour.

You may want to try hand-wrap buns if you've been finger-wrapping, or divided/sectioned buns, or twisting the bun tail into more of a rope if you aren't already (for better containment). Or using accent braids to lock the bun in and add interest.

lithostoic
May 17th, 2018, 04:06 PM
You may want to try hand-wrap buns if you've been finger-wrapping, or divided/sectioned buns, or twisting the bun tail into more of a rope if you aren't already (for better containment). Or using accent braids to lock the bun in and add interest.

How would an accent braid stop it from unraveling? Do I just wrap it around the base of the bun?

Crystawni
May 17th, 2018, 04:29 PM
Yup. And/or through the bun. Confusion of direction helps the hair stay put, I find. A light-weight four prong hair fork that acts like your hand holding your bun (like a Jeter) also helps.

lithostoic
May 17th, 2018, 04:39 PM
Yup. And/or through the bun. Confusion of direction helps the hair stay put, I find. A light-weight four prong hair fork that acts like your hand holding your bun (like a Jeter) also helps.

Thanks, I'll try that! I've been looking for a nice wooden fork but unfortunately I can't set up a PayPal account using my phone, and I don't have a computer :c

Sarahlabyrinth
May 17th, 2018, 04:48 PM
Thanks, I'll try that! I've been looking for a nice wooden fork but unfortunately I can't set up a PayPal account using my phone, and I don't have a computer :c

Maybe you could use someone else's computer? Or a public computer? We have then here for use in the public library and it doesn't cost much for a half hour.

vpatt
May 18th, 2018, 04:07 AM
Even tho I can't see where my hair has grown in forever I can feel it. My sleep braid is beginning to wrap around my neck. Not sure how to deal with that.

Lady Stardust
May 18th, 2018, 06:09 AM
Even tho I can't see where my hair has grown in forever I can feel it. My sleep braid is beginning to wrap around my neck. Not sure how to deal with that.

Oh crikey that would freak me out! I love the French plait in your siggie pic.

Milady_DeWinter
May 18th, 2018, 08:00 AM
Lately I've been thinking about growing my little braid to FTL. It has always been longer than the rest of my hair by 10cm at least, so let's see if it can reach that lenght...

DanceInSunshine
May 18th, 2018, 08:18 AM
Two... I don’t know why the hair on the top front section of my head grows so must faster than the sides... it falls on the left side of my face (right part), so when I pull it over each shoulder, the left side is solidly 2 inches longer than the right. What happens if it continues to grow at a faster rate? Will I have to pull it straight back from my forehead to look normal, so it has a soft V or U shape in the back? Will I have this random long section I’ll have to braid if I want to leave it down? So many questions, so many maybes.

Secondly, I wonder if my hair would FEEL long if I were shorter. I’m 5’10 1/2, and my hair is (stretched) at hip. I’m being patient and caring for it as I wait for it to grow to BCK, but I wonder if it would have reached that length already if I were short.

Olavi
May 18th, 2018, 09:01 AM
Since the start of the year I have been keeping my hair up almost all the time and haven't really paid attention to grow rate. So today I realized that not only my hair had grown one inch from the last measuring, it had grown out of the BSL zone ages ago! Seriously at least 4 inches past my bra band (the measure tape showed 5 inches, but I reduced one inch for the error margin)! And I still can't do a proper nautilus :shrug:

Zesty
May 18th, 2018, 09:02 AM
I've been wearing braids wrapped around my head more lately and DH independently decided to call this kind of hairstyle "halo braids," which I think is adorable. I'm pretty sure that is a thing, but it's not what I'm doing. He won't call them Heidi/milkmaid braids and doesn't understand "the Madora."

chomsky
May 18th, 2018, 09:12 AM
Wash day does come around pretty quickly, huh?

Doesn't feel like it should be coming up so soon.

MoonRabbit
May 18th, 2018, 09:55 AM
In desperate need of a deep treatment but I'm all out.

pili
May 18th, 2018, 10:06 AM
Why do I see a ton of split ends, but when I go to get my scissors they all hide?

Eastbound&Down
May 18th, 2018, 10:47 AM
Why do I see a ton of split ends, but when I go to get my scissors they all hide?

I only see mine if I'm in sunlight. I avoid this by staying inside and keeping it in a bun :laugh:

pili
May 18th, 2018, 10:54 AM
I only see mine if I'm in sunlight. I avoid this by staying inside and keeping it in a bun :laugh:

:p

more characters

Zesty
May 18th, 2018, 11:33 AM
Another one: I think my hairline hairs might be growing? I've been keeping them braided or in a micro claw clip and iirc they used to be nose length and now they're at chin.

AmaryllisRed
May 18th, 2018, 11:41 AM

TRUTH.
:pirate::scissors::hifive:

Alex Lou
May 18th, 2018, 01:51 PM
I was going to wash my hair today. But I'm sick (just a cold) so instead I think I'll be lazy and dirty.

Also, I found a gnarly split in my fringe and freaked out a bit thinking I was getting new, severe damage. But I measured the hair and it's 10", meaning it's a keratin treatment survivor and the damage is explained.

natt i nord
May 18th, 2018, 01:59 PM
My hair is obvisouly speeding up to its summer growth rate again - yay, but that also means I should get going with ordering new henna...

Lumienkeli
May 18th, 2018, 11:25 PM
I washed the laundry because I need my length shot tee!

Stray_mind
May 19th, 2018, 12:20 AM
I have my hair in a peacock twist and i took a pic... and i see a silvery looking strand in the pic...

Am i going grey already?

Lol, i wonder if it was just a play of light. I will have to inspect it further.

Andthetalltrees
May 19th, 2018, 01:10 AM
I don't remember the last time I brushed my hair

Zesty
May 19th, 2018, 07:52 AM
I have my hair in a peacock twist and i took a pic... and i see a silvery looking strand in the pic...

Am i going grey already?

Lol, i wonder if it was just a play of light. I will have to inspect it further.

Looks like we're the same age and I have several silvers that occasionally make an appearance in pictures. :o I was a little freaked out at first (I love my hair and the idea of it changing scared me!) but then I remembered all the beautiful silvery heads of hair on the LHC.

My random thought: I think I might have to make an effort to incorporate more non-braided updos into my daily rotation. Doing that Celtic knot I've already posted made me realize how much sleeker and less frizzy it is when I make a bun with all my hair rather than using a bunch of sections... I still have fun with braided styles, but I think they also might be more damaging than a LWB or a Celtic knot or even a cinnamon bun. And I use hair toys more when I do non-braided buns. I have so many that I love, it seems a shame to turn to plain, disappearing hair pins so often!

So anyway, I am going to try to practice new styles like that. I think it's time for a hairstyle renaissance (hairaissance?).

Stray_mind
May 19th, 2018, 07:55 AM
Looks like we're the same age and I have several silvers that occasionally make an appearance in pictures. :o I was a little freaked out at first (I love my hair and the idea of it changing scared me!) but then I remembered all the beautiful silvery heads of hair on the LHC.

My random thought: I think I might have to make an effort to incorporate more non-braided updos into my daily rotation. Doing that Celtic knot I've already posted made me realize how much sleeker and less frizzy it is when I make a bun with all my hair rather than using a bunch of sections... I still have fun with braided styles, but I think they also might be more damaging than a LWB or a Celtic knot or even a cinnamon bun. And I use hair toys more when I do non-braided buns. I have so many that I love, it seems a shame to turn to plain, disappearing hair pins so often!

So anyway, I am going to try to practice new styles like that. I think it's time for a hairstyle renaissance (hairaissance?).

I wouldn't mind having a few silvers at all. It seems like it was just the light afterall though. My hair can look extremely light in certain lights, so those strands must have caught the light in that exact way :)

Zesty
May 19th, 2018, 07:56 AM
I wouldn't mind having a few silvers at all. It seems like it was just the light afterall though. My hair can look extremely light in certain lights, so those strands must have caught the light in that exact way :)

How would you describe your natural color? I've seen it some around the forums since it's grown out a bit, but it's hard to tell from pictures. Is it blonette?

Stray_mind
May 19th, 2018, 07:59 AM
How would you describe your natural color? I've seen it some around the forums since it's grown out a bit, but it's hard to tell from pictures. Is it blonette?

I think so. My hair can look medium brown to medium blonde in different lights.

Zesty
May 19th, 2018, 08:01 AM
I think so. My hair can look medium brown to medium blonde in different lights.

How fun. :) One of my favorite things about my hair color is how different it can look in different lights. I look forward to seeing more of your natural color as it grows out!

Stray_mind
May 19th, 2018, 08:06 AM
How fun. :) One of my favorite things about my hair color is how different it can look in different lights. I look forward to seeing more of your natural color as it grows out!

Thank you. :flower:

I am almost 7 months dye free and still growing strong :)

Zesty
May 19th, 2018, 08:08 AM
Thank you. :flower:

I am almost 7 months dye free and still growing strong :)

That's great! Do you have any plans to trim the colored part off or are you going to embrace the ombre for a while?

Stray_mind
May 19th, 2018, 08:24 AM
That's great! Do you have any plans to trim the colored part off or are you going to embrace the ombre for a while?

I plan to trim a bit in June-july to freshen up my ends a bit... Other than that, i think i'll let my hair grow to BSL at least, then i'll maintain there. :)

lithostoic
May 19th, 2018, 08:58 AM
How do you guys get your ponytails not to sag? Slippery hair is a blessing and a curse.

Zesty
May 19th, 2018, 09:06 AM
How do you guys get your ponytails not to sag? Slippery hair is a blessing and a curse.

I use the coil/phone cord type hair elastics, but the ones I use (I've used Karina and Revlon brand) are quite strong and textured like a typical drugstore ponytail holder. They're not slick plastic like invisibobbles, which I also found "relaxed" with the heat of my head and let my ponytail sag.

Anyway, I found mine at the grocery store. They hold up a high pony for me all day, with the added bonus of making it look a bit more voluminous. Of course I have to be careful taking them out, but it's not too bad.

spirals
May 19th, 2018, 09:07 AM
I sometimes put in a spin pin under the ponytail behind the ponytail holder. I have heavy hair and I figure it would work for both situations.

pili
May 19th, 2018, 10:49 AM
I really need to do a deep treatment on my hair. Maybe oiling with olive oil or something, but I feel soooooo lazy. Blah! My ends are super damaged throughout, and it feels discouraging. S&D does not feel like enough, and yet I do not want to lose more length in an actual trim. I also feel as though my layers are contributing to the damage. I want them gone NOW...but then I have to deal with length loss. Sigh....

Andthetalltrees
May 19th, 2018, 10:59 AM
I like how much more calm I am about my hair now. My ends have just been feeling blah lately so I trimmed without hesitating that it'll be a little shorter! Also my newish hair scissors made a great cut

pili
May 19th, 2018, 11:13 AM
Lots of random thoughts today....

The next time I wash my hair I'm going to take wet and dry length shots. Maybe it will get me out of the blah-doldrums I am feeling.

Eastbound&Down
May 19th, 2018, 11:35 AM
Started taking vitamins, and I immediately get sick. Figures.

Zesty
May 19th, 2018, 01:20 PM
I think I am going to try a personal bun challenge when I get my new fork. A different non-braided bun that only uses a fork or stick, every day for a week. I figure I could learn some quick new styles and start off with a shorter challenge -- since I also want to do another WEO and a 30 day hairstyle challenge. :o

natt i nord
May 19th, 2018, 01:25 PM

There's this ponytail trick I've seen on youtube somewhere, where you part your hair horizontally at about the height of your ears, tie back the upper half first (I think it was) and then add the second half with another hair tie. I'll see if I can find it, it was suggested to me a few days ago when I complained about my ponytail being too tight when I want to make it hold (I have the same problem as you).

edit: Other way around. Here it is: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=108936&page=663&p=3547391&viewfull=1#post3547391 If you look up haartraum on youtube, you should find that tutorial. Haven't tried it myself though.

littlestarface
May 19th, 2018, 03:06 PM
I really hate how people say to people who have all different colors in their hair that they have "unicorn or mermaid" hair, no they don't! Has anyone ever seen a unicorn or mermaid with 10 different weird colors in its hair? NO, so why do people say that? Why not just say "you have colorful hair" It irritates me to no end because unicorns don't have multi color hair nor would they.

Hasse
May 19th, 2018, 03:34 PM
Grow, grow, grow, hair!

Sarahlabyrinth
May 19th, 2018, 04:07 PM
I really hate how people say to people who have all different colors in their hair that they have "unicorn or mermaid" hair, no they don't! Has anyone ever seen a unicorn or mermaid with 10 different weird colors in its hair? NO, so why do people say that? Why not just say "you have colorful hair" It irritates me to no end because unicorns don't have multi color hair nor would they.

Well, they might - the adventurous ones :D

Glitch
May 20th, 2018, 12:34 AM

I think it's just a way of complimenting (that's how I mean it too, personally), as in describing how mystical it looks :o Technically, unicorns and mermaids could have multi colored hair, you never know ;) I do get you though lol, I feel that way about the word "literally" when misused :p

Stray_mind
May 20th, 2018, 01:01 AM
Yep, my natural color suits me the best afterall... It compliments my face Just perfectly.

Joules
May 20th, 2018, 01:12 AM

Has anyone ever seen a unicorn or a mermaid? :D No! So how do you know they don't have multi-colored hair? :D

Crystawni
May 20th, 2018, 01:22 AM

Somehow colours of the sea + hair = mermaid hair. And when it comes to rainbow unicorns, I blame fairies for mashing the ideas of rainbows and unicorns together.

Joules
May 20th, 2018, 01:35 AM
I've been getting a lot of little knots on the ends of individual hair strands. I think I'm due for a good ol' S&D.

Salwety
May 20th, 2018, 03:03 AM
We are in summer! My hair is not cooperative. Dry, frizzy and tangle pron, no matter how much oil or conditioner I add. I think I might add a little bit of gel. Any suggestion?

Joules
May 20th, 2018, 03:51 AM
We are in summer! My hair is not cooperative. Dry, frizzy and tangle pron, no matter how much oil or conditioner I add. I think I might add a little bit of gel. Any suggestion?

Styling gel would only make things worse. I would suggest continuing with oils and conditioners to keep hair moisturized, and getting a tangle teezer. Dryness and tangles are all in your hair's nature, so fighting with it won't get you anywhere :)

Stray_mind
May 20th, 2018, 07:03 AM

I'd say keep it moisturized with conditioners and oils, and don't forget to Drink plenty of water yourself, too keep it moist from inside too :)

AmaryllisRed
May 20th, 2018, 07:22 AM

This made me chuckle. But you are so right!

WineMom13
May 20th, 2018, 11:24 AM
I'm starting to wonder if I should give up growing my hair. I haven't gained any length in the last year, my curls look healthier (today at least). I se so many beautiful curlies, and I fear I will never acheive that goal. Should I get a trim? should I chop it off and start over? is 6.5 years long enough between trims? could I even find a stylist I trust enough to just trim my hair and not try to style or thin my hair?

Groovy Granny
May 20th, 2018, 12:08 PM
Well....today is humid and showery and I have a full on 'crown to hemline wispy silver curl explosion' that will NOT be defined :bowtome:

And now I can see why a regular French Braid is impossible; all those wisps are like velcro...especially if I braid with smaller sections = instant tangles.

At least a faux french braid works, or one starting from a half up with just a few larger sections; thankfully I can still do english and rope braids.

I will just put the mirror away because those crown wisps are wild :p

All is well ~ it is what it is....uniquely MINE :meditate:

Zesty
May 20th, 2018, 12:58 PM
I need something cuter and less obtrusive than a claw clip and less damaging than bobby pins to hold back my teeny pouf when I do buns. :/ I'm wondering if a tiny plain flexi would do the job.

Crystawni
May 20th, 2018, 03:35 PM
I need something cuter and less obtrusive than a claw clip and less damaging than bobby pins to hold back my teeny pouf when I do buns. :/ I'm wondering if a tiny plain flexi would do the job.

Or mayhaps a mini or xs flexi 8 clip.

Zesty
May 20th, 2018, 05:41 PM
Or mayhaps a mini or xs flexi 8 clip.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Maybe a mini plain gold one. I'll have to experiment with the ones I have. I just feel silly wearing these beautiful toys and then having a weird little claw clip in the mix. :p

Corvana
May 20th, 2018, 06:08 PM
My hair feels considerably longer, but it's measuring day and I only got .6" (1.6cm) this month. :hmm:

lithostoic
May 20th, 2018, 07:29 PM
My hair feels considerably longer, but it's measuring day and I only got .6" (1.6cm) this month. :hmm:

ONLY??? Please keep in mind your growth is above average. There are people here who struggle to get half that measurement in a month.

Corvana
May 20th, 2018, 07:45 PM
ONLY??? Please keep in mind your growth is above average. There are people here who struggle to get half that measurement in a month.

The only is in reference to it feeling like much more. I expected it to be like... idk like an inch or something, because it felt like significant growth. It was surprising to me that it was just my normal amount, not because that's a disappointing amount but because if asked before I measured I would've guessed at least twice as much.

Glitch
May 20th, 2018, 08:15 PM
I won't call it just yet, but so far, I seem to be liking my new tangle teezer better than my wooden hair brush :whistle:
It's only been a couple days of using it, but already I can tell it does a far better job of distributing natural sebum over the length. My hair is so silky and soft after a little session, just unreal! It's like my hair is receiving the nutrients it lacked :o

As for detangling/combing everything out, it seems about the same amount of effort as the wooden brush, though sometimes more, sometimes less - I'll have to really compare some time :)

Crystawni
May 20th, 2018, 08:25 PM
Hello... hair? Whacha thinking?

*stunned silence*

So, no worries then? Good to know.

Starrydandelion
May 21st, 2018, 08:00 AM
If I still haven't gotten a trim by the end of next month, I'll probably snip off random racers like I've done twice this year already. :p I haven't committed to self-trimming yet as I'm fairly scissor happy and would likely trim off too much (although I know I shouldn't). >.> Snipping off racers seems alright though. It all depends on how I feel about my hair. :)

chomsky
May 21st, 2018, 08:33 AM
The thin ends are now contained to a length the height of my fist. I can feel the bulk of my hair disappear, but I feel happy knowing that the damage probably isn't travelling up. I'll have a better idea in July when it's straightened.

Can't wait to call waist, I know it's pretty much there already! July here I come!

Joules
May 21st, 2018, 08:50 AM
I just want to be able to wear buns :wail: my ends desperately need protection, if I want to be comfortable without trims till the end of the year I have to figure something out :wail: how do I stop buns from giving me headache? :wail: whyyyy oh god whyyyyyy :wail:

MoonRabbit
May 21st, 2018, 09:00 AM
I just want to be able to wear buns :wail: my ends desperately need protection, if I want to be comfortable without trims till the end of the year I have to figure something out :wail: how do I stop buns from giving me headache? :wail: whyyyy oh god whyyyyyy :wail:

Maybe you just need to find your sweet spot? When I had short hair many moons ago, I would always wear it down and when I started wearing it up again, it took my scalp some time to adjust to the new tension. Eventually it came around and now it doesn't bother me unless I do a bun in the wrong spot.

pili
May 21st, 2018, 09:08 AM
So I have been on and off using pillows for sleeping over the last couple of years. My neck does best with out a pillow. My hair does best with a satin pillowcase. I don't know why it took me so long to figure out I could use the pillowcase with out the pillow. So I did so last night. My hair did good and my neck wasn't all kinked. YAY!

Joules
May 21st, 2018, 10:12 AM
Maybe you just need to find your sweet spot? When I had short hair many moons ago, I would always wear it down and when I started wearing it up again, it took my scalp some time to adjust to the new tension. Eventually it came around and now it doesn't bother me unless I do a bun in the wrong spot.

Yeah, maybe that's the case. I'll continue trying while it's summer and I have very little choice, fingers crossed my scalp gets used to it :)

Rebeccalaurenxx
May 21st, 2018, 01:31 PM

Give a different spot a try, like lowering the bun.
But also give different buns a try too. Some put more tension on the hair than others.

Corvana
May 21st, 2018, 02:02 PM
Give a different spot a try, like lowering the bun.
But also give different buns a try too. Some put more tension on the hair than others.

I second this!

And also experiment with how you use your stick/fork! For example, I use a disc bun just about every day because it's the one I can wear most comfortably. But the tutorials all say to have the stick or fork scoop under the base in the middle. Every time I do that (and I test it once a week, in case I gain enough length for it to be comfortable) it's too-tight enough to cause a bit of a tension headache. So instead I go through the middle of the "knot" of hair at the base. It's just as stable, but it's less "tight" and I can now wear my bun all day long with no issues at all.

I also worked up to it! I'm sure length played some part, but I would bun until it would feel tense (but not properly painful), undo it and massage my scalp. Then I'd wait like an hour and rebun. Every week or so I could go longer!

PixieP
May 21st, 2018, 02:41 PM
Picked up amla at oil the asian food store today, only after I came home did I see that the main ingredient is paraffinum liqiud (I spelled that wrong, I don't care). Which I don't think is very hair friendly. Ugh. And it smells so nice too. I might just try it just to see how my hair reacts.

Trip
May 21st, 2018, 04:02 PM
Hair forks are so much fun to use and so comfortable i had no idea

Zesty
May 21st, 2018, 04:29 PM
Picked up amla at oil the asian food store today, only after I came home did I see that the main ingredient is paraffinum liqiud (I spelled that wrong, I don't care). Which I don't think is very hair friendly. Ugh. And it smells so nice too. I might just try it just to see how my hair reacts.

Is it dabur brand? Because mineral oil or not, that stuff works magic on my hair. Even if it's a different brand, you should really give it a shot.

I use mine as a leave in on damp hair and do a light oiling before bed pretty much every night. My hair has probably never been this soft and tangles are virtually a non issue.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 21st, 2018, 04:32 PM
Is it dabur brand? Because mineral oil or not, that stuff works magic on my hair. Even if it's a different brand, you should really give it a shot.

I use mine as a leave in on damp hair and do a light oiling before bed pretty much every night. My hair has probably never been this soft and tangles are virtually a non issue.

I use Dabur brand - it's brilliant! :D

Zesty
May 21st, 2018, 04:34 PM
I use Dabur brand - it's brilliant! :D

Totally. I also regularly use their coconut oil for hair and the garlic mask, both from the Vatika line. They really know what they're doing. :thumbsup:

PixieP
May 21st, 2018, 05:11 PM

Yes it’s Dabur! The one with henna and almond oil in it also :D cool, then I will absolutely try it!

Zesty
May 21st, 2018, 05:13 PM
Yes it’s Dabur! The one with henna and almond oil in it also :D cool, then I will absolutely try it!

Yay, do it! :cheer: Hope you like it as much as I do. I've found the most success doing a bitty bit on dry hair before bed, for the record. I don't know why or how it works the way it does, but I'm not questioning it. It was also really cheap at our local Indian grocery. :thumbsup:

Katsura
May 21st, 2018, 11:18 PM
I could wear my hair down today, but I just want to wrap it in a protective bun. ;)

guska
May 21st, 2018, 11:28 PM
Apparently baby hairs do not grow long - at least for my friends. I have a halo (is that what you call it?) of them, especially around my hairline, but they do behave like normal hair and grow long. They also make my bred shed like crazy >_>

PixieP
May 22nd, 2018, 06:29 AM
Yay, do it! :cheer: Hope you like it as much as I do. I've found the most success doing a bitty bit on dry hair before bed, for the record. I don't know why or how it works the way it does, but I'm not questioning it. It was also really cheap at our local Indian grocery. :thumbsup:

I'm trying a rather heavy pre-poo oiling with it now, my hair needed a bit of TLC. It does smell absolutley lovely though.

It's cheap here too, I paid like 5 dollars for it :) (which is cheap in Norway).

spirals
May 22nd, 2018, 07:48 AM
I have so many products on hand for my hair and yet it likes simple grapeseed oil. Why did I buy all this other stuff?

Henrietta
May 22nd, 2018, 08:47 AM
I have so many products on hand for my hair and yet it likes simple grapeseed oil. Why did I buy all this other stuff?

For its potential! We always think it can be better, so we buy stuff even if we've found holy grails. Or, if it's not for the potential, it's for fun!
So there it is, my answer to your potentially rhetorical question ;) I asked myself the very same question, so I have a ready answer ;)

MusicalSpoons
May 22nd, 2018, 09:03 AM

:laugh: my hair very quickly settled for sweet almond oil, so I have a whole drawer full of oils and butters ... they might be useful for my skin? :shrug:

For its potential! We always think it can be better, so we buy stuff even if we've found holy grails. Or, if it's not for the potential, it's for fun!
So there it is, my answer to your potentially rhetorical question ;) I asked myself the very same question, so I have a ready answer ;)

I think you've found the real answer! :grin:

Zesty
May 22nd, 2018, 09:07 AM
I'm trying a rather heavy pre-poo oiling with it now, my hair needed a bit of TLC. It does smell absolutley lovely though.

It's cheap here too, I paid like 5 dollars for it :) (which is cheap in Norway).

Let me know how that goes, if it works out I might try it that way too.

Lanalavallama
May 22nd, 2018, 11:14 AM
My hair has grown to the point where it is doing weird things. Now I have to style it. Which means work.

Bleh...

EdG
May 22nd, 2018, 11:26 AM
Every time I think I have combed out the last of the persistent tangles, I find more when I comb from a different angle. I feel like Charlie Brown with the football. ;)
Ed

MidnightMoon
May 22nd, 2018, 11:32 AM
I'm starting to feel weird about my long hair. I mean, someone took a group picture today and part of my hair is in front and loose, because I didn't have time to do anything else, and it's starting to look "weird". I don't get this feeling when it's in a braid, for example, or something... but plain loose, it looks weird in the picture. I guess it's the same when I look at pictures of hair that's actually very long (think, knee and beyond). When short hair is loose it looks "normal" but knee and beyond looks more like it belongs in some updo, and it's temporarily down. I'm not sure I can explain it... like it's not "done".

Joules
May 22nd, 2018, 12:31 PM
I'm starting to feel weird about my long hair. I mean, someone took a group picture today and part of my hair is in front and loose, because I didn't have time to do anything else, and it's starting to look "weird". I don't get this feeling when it's in a braid, for example, or something... but plain loose, it looks weird in the picture. I guess it's the same when I look at pictures of hair that's actually very long (think, knee and beyond). When short hair is loose it looks "normal" but knee and beyond looks more like it belongs in some updo, and it's temporarily down. I'm not sure I can explain it... like it's not "done".

I know! I thought it's just my instinct to protect long hair, like, shorter hair is fine when it's down, and longer hair needs to be in an updo, or it'll get tangled or stuck somewhere and damaged. It doesn't make me loke long hair any less though.

MoonRabbit
May 22nd, 2018, 12:37 PM
When you haven't taken a hair length photo in 2 months but it feels like 2 years :hmm:

MidnightMoon
May 22nd, 2018, 12:38 PM
I know! I thought it's just my instinct to protect long hair, like, shorter hair is fine when it's down, and longer hair needs to be in an updo, or it'll get tangled or stuck somewhere and damaged. It doesn't make me loke long hair any less though.

Well, that's one thing also. But that's usually me "feeling" weird, rather than thinking I look weird. I've become rather paranoid about damage with the years even if sometimes I wear it loose outside. But this time it was something about proportions perhaps, and since it's rather straight, specially a few days after washing, it's just hanging there like a curtain :confused:
Guess it didn't help that the rest of people in the picture are older folk with super short white hair mostly lol.
I'm not particularly tall, and well. Meh, guess I have to invest more time into practising nice updos. I really like braided ones, with big buns, but I need much longer hair for that, and maybe not even that will be enough :/ I think you need like a 7 inch pony for that :rolleyes:#depressionmodeon

PixieP
May 22nd, 2018, 01:53 PM
HOLY HAIR OIL BATMAN! This amla oil is amazing! My hair is soft (as in not frizzy), my wave is defined even though I blow dried it, my ends form actual SPIRALS...! It was really easy to wash out too. Look look look:

https://i.imgur.com/DoQw4bz.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/gI7HZ51.jpg

I think I finally found a holy grail product?!

Starrydandelion
May 22nd, 2018, 02:00 PM
PixieP, ooh, how exciting! The spirals look lovely. :cloud9:

---------

I had two different people compliment my hair today (I was helping out my mom while she was working so they were strangers). :o I had my mom braid it in a basic English braid down the back. Sadly, my braids shred instantly and end up looking really messy which I dislike a lot. :p

MusicalSpoons
May 22nd, 2018, 03:51 PM
HOLY HAIR OIL BATMAN! This amla oil is amazing! My hair is soft (as in not frizzy), my wave is defined even though I blow dried it, my ends form actual SPIRALS...! It was really easy to wash out too. Look look look:

[Image]

I think I finally found a holy grail product?!

Ohhhhhh wow!! :thud: Sooooo beautiful! Was that oil what you used for the heavy pre-poo oiling you mentioned?

lithostoic
May 22nd, 2018, 03:54 PM
My hair dries so much wavier after being caught in the rain. It's too bad I can't wash my hair in it!

Andthetalltrees
May 22nd, 2018, 08:30 PM
My hair feels so much better after the trim, i didn't want to but it's what was needed I guess.

Lady Stardust
May 23rd, 2018, 02:13 AM
My hair dries so much wavier after being caught in the rain. It's too bad I can't wash my hair in it!

That reminds me of my brother, he had waist length hair in the 80s and would stomp around all in black looking hard as nails, but if he got caught in the rain his hair would form ringlets and I would fall about laughing. Jealous, obviously, but it was at such odds to his style.

vpatt
May 23rd, 2018, 04:15 AM
Oh crikey that would freak me out! I love the French plait in your siggie pic.

Lol....Thank you. It isn't long enough to actually strangle me it just seems so different because it reaches around the front of my neck by itself. I would say it is a wee bit longer than it was when I had long hair years ago.

vpatt
May 23rd, 2018, 04:27 AM

My grandmother used to catch rain water to wash her hair in.

PixieP
May 23rd, 2018, 04:38 AM
Ohhhhhh wow!! :thud: Sooooo beautiful! Was that oil what you used for the heavy pre-poo oiling you mentioned?

Yes :D Dabur Amla Gold. Zesty was right, there is some sort of vodoo magic in this bottle.

And thank you! :flowers:

Glitch
May 23rd, 2018, 05:09 AM

I love love love “rain waves” :heartbeat

Larki
May 23rd, 2018, 08:57 AM
I think I will be solidly at classic by this time next year!!

Zesty
May 23rd, 2018, 09:02 AM
Yes :D Dabur Amla Gold. Zesty was right, there is some sort of vodoo magic in this bottle.

And thank you! :flowers:

It is the bomb. I've yet to try anything Dabur/Vatika that I didn't like.

Zesty
May 23rd, 2018, 09:10 AM
Random thought: it's funny, in my head I'm already at classic, like when I see a tutorial or whatever featuring classic length hair I'm like "oh that's me!" But in my everyday life it feels like I'm barely past BCL, even though I am by a good few inches. I see pictures of my hair and I can't believe that that's what other people see!

TreesOfEternity
May 23rd, 2018, 09:29 AM
(...) But this time it was something about proportions perhaps, and since it's rather straight, specially a few days after washing, it's just hanging there like a curtain :confused:
Guess it didn't help that the rest of people in the picture are older folk with super short white hair mostly lol.
I'm not particularly tall, and well. Meh, guess I have to invest more time into practising nice updos. I really like braided ones, with big buns, but I need much longer hair for that, and maybe not even that will be enough :/ I think you need like a 7 inch pony for that :rolleyes:#depressionmodeon

I'm 5'1' and get that feeling too. When there's more people next to you I think it's more noticeable. Maybe having some friend take some nice/artistic pictures of you with lose hair, just for you to see and have as a memory, will give you another perspective. When I had longer hair I did some goth/medieval inspired photoshoot just for fun and my weird hair suddenly looked majestic haha.

ravenskey
May 23rd, 2018, 01:36 PM
I had my last wash with shampoo on Sunday and I just did my first ever scritch today - I needed it badly - makes me wonder why I don't shed more, my scalp is so yucky.

Juli414
May 23rd, 2018, 03:05 PM
Holy snot, this is a long thread. Oddly enough, I rarely come to the Mane Forum, unless I have a specific hair issue. Anywho. Last summer I took an epic road trip and spent the nights of July 3 and 4 in Chicago. I collected all the toiletries from the hotels, as you do, and managed to misplace the stash. I've been doing housekeeping, and I found it, and was reminded of the stay in Chicago when I saw the shampoo and conditioner tubes. Of course The Hard Rock Hotel would understand the struggle is real for long hairs.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipObzWPpvh75I11D00Hzlkj-mAHb_m_ytNxLsFSBLkpg8BHpAXdo4vnkAGyfHW-g9A/photo/AF1QipNDjWhYo2QHjulq0KnTFjoUir6PhasPUvViIOHz

I can't figure out how to add the picture, but the tube of conditioner is twice the size of the tube of shampoo.

Zesty
May 23rd, 2018, 05:40 PM
I have been having a miserable couple of days, but putting on music and thoroughly brushing my hair and then oiling it a bit made me feel SO much better. I guess it was just a relatively brief and easy bit of self-care. Really, this hobby is my happy place.

Groovy Granny
May 23rd, 2018, 06:10 PM
It looks like the 'faux french braid' is going to do the trick ....for sleep and going out.

The regular french braid tangles horribly in my fine, wispy silver...from the crown to hemline no matter what I try. :tmi:

This has no tangles and is better placed for sleep (off my neck and easier to flip over my pillow).

Happy day :joy:

Katia_k
May 23rd, 2018, 08:32 PM
My hair feels so much better after the trim, i didn't want to but it's what was needed I guess.

I had the same thing. I hated losing the length but even just taking off a little made a huge difference.

spirals
May 23rd, 2018, 10:54 PM
It looks like the 'faux french braid' is going to do the trick ....for sleep and going out.

It works well for me right now because I have new layers around my face and they always fall out.

Groovy Granny
May 23rd, 2018, 11:00 PM
It works well for me right now because I have new layers around my face and they always fall out.

That's good....and it looks like the regular version, but with much less effort ;)

Glitch
May 23rd, 2018, 11:43 PM
Sigh... I need so much more practise to be good at making a bun! It falls apart way too easily, and if I make it tight, it'll give me a nearly instant headache :(

AmaryllisRed
May 24th, 2018, 07:47 AM
I have been having a miserable couple of days, but putting on music and thoroughly brushing my hair and then oiling it a bit made me feel SO much better. I guess it was just a relatively brief and easy bit of self-care. Really, this hobby is my happy place.

Saaaaaame.

TreesOfEternity
May 24th, 2018, 08:06 AM
Random thoughts: I can't help but thinking about terminal length. Everything is going fine growing but what if it stops one day before I can even reach my goal? It gives me nightmares...

MoonRabbit
May 24th, 2018, 09:10 AM
I don't understand how my hair can come out perfect one wash and then the next week I will use the exact same products and technique and my hair will come out frizzy, sticky, and completely unmanageable. I am so tired of my hair doing a complete 180 in the opposite direction when I think I have found products and a routine it likes.

I can't afford all this trial and error bs. Guess I have to try cone free again and hope it will work this time.

MidnightMoon
May 24th, 2018, 09:24 AM
I'm 5'1' and get that feeling too. When there's more people next to you I think it's more noticeable. Maybe having some friend take some nice/artistic pictures of you with lose hair, just for you to see and have as a memory, will give you another perspective. When I had longer hair I did some goth/medieval inspired photoshoot just for fun and my weird hair suddenly looked majestic haha.

A photoshoot sounds awesome. I'm a bit shy, though, like, come out rather awkwardly in pictures taken by others :blushing:
I will try experimenting more with updos, though. Match them with my clothes, my style, etc. It makes me feel better about it.

Lanalavallama
May 24th, 2018, 09:44 AM
I have so many conditioners and deep conditioners. Quite sure I don't need that many, so why do I keep buying them?

AmaryllisRed
May 24th, 2018, 09:55 AM
Tucked my hair in my pants and did a little dance.
My kids were cracking up.

wo
May 24th, 2018, 12:29 PM
Does everyone have 3000 times the volume after washing, than they do on day 2 and beyond? Is that a universal hair fact or just for some hair types? My hair is so big and thick and awesome on wash day, but it's all fluff, and after the first time sleeping on it, it's flat from then on. Misting it or anything like that makes frizz not volume.

pili
May 24th, 2018, 12:32 PM
Does everyone have 3000 times the volume after washing, than they do on day 2 and beyond? Is that a universal hair fact or just for some hair types? My hair is so big and thick and awesome on wash day, but it's all fluff, and after the first time sleeping on it, it's flat from then on. Misting it or anything like that makes frizz not volume.

Yup. It's the hair type. Smashed curls get grumpy and don't like to play. It's why I used to wet my hair daily back when I first found CG. Now I just braid or bun it on non wash days.

wo
May 24th, 2018, 12:53 PM
Yup. It's the hair type. Smashed curls get grumpy and don't like to play. It's why I used to wet my hair daily back when I first found CG. Now I just braid or bun it on non wash days.

Ok...yep I used to wash almost every day because there was no saving my curls with short hair after they'd been slept on. Now it's easier to make it look ok for a few days, but it doesn't compare to wash day.

Glitch
May 24th, 2018, 01:30 PM
I was telling my mom about my random allergic reaction to sweet almond oil and how I shed way more hair than usual with it. I told I'm not planning on using oils for at least a long while, and that a lot of people have shedding issues etc. with oiling their scalp. That's when she told me she didn't know it was a thing, and that it happens to her too (she's been oiling for as long as I can remember). LOL :doh: I guess it's not meant for either of us. I may try once more in the future but yeah, how interesting.

Eastbound&Down
May 24th, 2018, 01:49 PM
I had a friendly competition with my husband yesterday for who could get ready fastest with a 10 minute alarm. I threw on some clothes and my hair into twin rope braids in about 45 seconds. I won, even though he's baldseconds. i forgot how much I love rope braids and can't wait for more length.

Zesty
May 24th, 2018, 04:45 PM
I just checked, and I'm still several inches away from sitting on my hair on a hard chair. What is wrong with my butt?!

LadyArwen
May 24th, 2018, 04:46 PM
I just checked, and I'm still several inches away from sitting on my hair on a hard chair. What is wrong with my butt?!

Me too. I keep checking! How many inches are you at now?

Zesty
May 24th, 2018, 04:58 PM
Me too. I keep checking! How many inches are you at now?

I was at 40" a month ago and my growth generally seems to be average, so I'd guess 40.5".

AmaryllisRed
May 24th, 2018, 06:03 PM

Hahaha! I'm sure nothing is wrong with your butt! This made me laugh.

Corvana
May 24th, 2018, 06:15 PM

Nothing :eyebrows:

:rollin:

Zesty
May 24th, 2018, 06:18 PM
Hahaha! I'm sure nothing is wrong with your butt! This made me laugh.

Nothing :eyebrows:

:rollin:
:eyebrows:

Really though, is it shaped weird? Do I just sit like a doofus? Something must be up. I demand a recount.

:p :lol:

Crystawni
May 24th, 2018, 07:20 PM

I blame the chair. Obviously it has moulded butt and backrest curves that skew the distance. :wigtongue

spirals
May 24th, 2018, 07:36 PM
:laugh: I'm dying over here. I wish I had a butt like that.

C_Bookworm
May 24th, 2018, 10:22 PM
I just read a 17 page thread trying to reach an agreement on where TBL is. No consensus by the end, but goodness I haven’t laughed that hard in awhile! :rollin:

Crystawni
May 24th, 2018, 11:08 PM
I just read a 17 page thread trying to reach an agreement on where TBL is. No consensus by the end, but goodness I haven’t laughed that hard in awhile! :rollin:

Yup, yup! After sitting on it for a while, it's enough to crack you up and leave (braid) tails wagging. I tell you what, though, no butts about it; when you injure your tailbone you certainly know exactly where it is.

C_Bookworm
May 25th, 2018, 12:08 AM
Yup, yup! After sitting on it for a while, it's enough to crack you up and leave (braid) tails wagging. I tell you what, though, no butts about it; when you injure your tailbone you certainly know exactly where it is.
:applause You’re in a roll :rollin:

I haven’t had that experience, fortunately! I’m about an inch away from BCL, so I suppose I’ll have to make up my mind how I want to define TBL soon. I’m leaning toward using the bottom of the coccyx, simply because I like having as many mini-milestones as possible.

ETA: And thanks to Zesty, I’m also pondering where my sit length is going to end up! So much fun stuff upcoming.

Joules
May 25th, 2018, 12:47 AM

:rollin: I'm dying :rollin:

Joules
May 25th, 2018, 12:52 AM
I think I'm starting to shed. I had a really stressful week in the very end of February - beginning of March, and yesterday while washing I quite a significant chunk of hair came out. Well, exactly the size I'm usually shedding after stress. It was nice to have a few weeks of small sheds, now I'm back to my almost never-ending stress sheds, yay! Or maybe probably hopefully it was just a fluke and my next wash will be fine

Glitch
May 25th, 2018, 01:05 AM
Finally my hair is starting to "feel" long :D Yay!!

Hmm, I hope it was indeed a fluke, Joules :flower:

Crystawni
May 25th, 2018, 01:41 AM
:applause You’re in a roll :rollin:

I haven’t had that experience, fortunately! I’m about an inch away from BCL, so I suppose I’ll have to make up my mind how I want to define TBL soon. I’m leaning toward using the bottom of the coccyx, simply because I like having as many mini-milestones as possible.

ETA: And thanks to Zesty, I’m also pondering where my sit length is going to end up! So much fun stuff upcoming.

Cracking breaking it up is a great way to go (from experience). I've even added wrist-length to my journey because my neverending butt was bumming me out. :p

I think I'm starting to shed. I had a really stressful week in the very end of February - beginning of March, and yesterday while washing I quite a significant chunk of hair came out. Well, exactly the size I'm usually shedding after stress. It was nice to have a few weeks of small sheds, now I'm back to my almost never-ending stress sheds, yay! Or maybe probably hopefully it was just a fluke and my next wash will be fine

It could also be seasonal--your head may want less there if you're heading into summer. But don't stress, because yanno how that could turn out. I'm all for it being a fluke, though! My stoopid hair sheds the most all through February, which is at the end of our summer... I think my northern-hemisphere ancestry likes to show sometimes.

Lady Stardust
May 25th, 2018, 02:26 AM
My scalp is still extremely sore after I had a fall nearly 2 weeks ago. The doctor reckons it’s a trapped nerve and has referred me to a physiotherapist and given me tablets to deal with nerve pain, because paracetamol and ibuprofen aren’t touching it. The doctor said the pain could last for weeks.

I don’t want to complain because it could have been much worse and there are people far worse off than me. I am feeling a bit sorry for myself temporarily though. Washing my hair is extremely painful and my hair just being there hurts, even worse if there’s a breeze. Thank goodness it’s not very long and heavy.

So, I can’t do a thing with it for a while! Enforced benign neglect isn’t a bad thing, except that I can’t wear it up and out of the way. I’m hoping we don’t have too much sunshine because the heat hurts my head and it’s too painful to wear a hat or even a Buff. Luckily I have an extensive collection of scarves which are just about bearable, including a couple of rayon ones that don’t make me overheat.

Whinge over. Back to counting my blessings.

Joules
May 25th, 2018, 02:42 AM
Glitch, :blossom:

Cracking breaking it up is a great way to go (from experience). I've even added wrist-length to my journey because my neverending butt was bumming me out. :p

It could also be seasonal--your head may want less there if you're heading into summer. But don't stress, because yanno how that could turn out. I'm all for it being a fluke, though! My stoopid hair sheds the most all through February, which is at the end of our summer... I think my northern-hemisphere ancestry likes to show sometimes.

I have a pinched nerve in my tailbone, I think it's a bit more gentle way to discover its location :rollin:

It might be seasonal. But the thing is, we've been having hot weather for almost a month now, maybe my hair follicles are a bit slow? :D

Or maybe it's because I was due for a scalp oil treatment with essential oils yesterday and I had no time to do it, so my scalp hates me right now :D don't worry, dear, I'll treat you on Sunday :D

Stray_mind
May 25th, 2018, 06:16 AM
Wash day today. Can't wait. My scalp has been very itchy lately.

MoonRabbit
May 25th, 2018, 01:05 PM
Wish I knew a photographer so I could get some pretty and artistic hair shots.

Simsy
May 26th, 2018, 04:24 AM
I finally found the time to go looking; and found an oil wholesale website in Australia. I have half a litre of Argan Oil, a kilo of Argan butter and a sample kit of Australian essential oils coming. I was starting to get very sick of running out of oil every other week.

spirals
May 26th, 2018, 09:48 AM
My scalp is still extremely sore after I had a fall nearly 2 weeks ago. The doctor reckons it’s a trapped nerve and has referred me to a physiotherapist and given me tablets to deal with nerve pain, because paracetamol and ibuprofen aren’t touching it. The doctor said the pain could last for weeks.

I don’t want to complain because it could have been much worse and there are people far worse off than me.
Nerve pain ain't no joke. I get it frequently (have scoliosis). You can complain all you want to us, OK? It's true the over-the-counter meds won't help. I use a prescription anti-inflammatory and a muscle relaxer in an effort to untrap the nerve. If needed I have an opioid. Nerve pain can be that bad. But I try to avoid the latter; it makes me tired and they're hard to refill.

Shepherdess
May 26th, 2018, 10:01 AM
I haven't been around LHC in a long time, so much to catch up on!!

lithostoic
May 26th, 2018, 10:10 AM

Nice seeing you again!

Shepherdess
May 26th, 2018, 10:16 AM
Nice seeing you again!

Thank you!! :flower: I'm so glad to see that you are still active!! Great to see familiar faces!! ^_^

Groovy Granny
May 26th, 2018, 11:08 AM

Welcome back ~ nice to see you again :waving:

Ondine11
May 26th, 2018, 11:10 AM
I finally bought a tangle teezer brush, & it is AMAZING!!!

Lady Stardust
May 26th, 2018, 11:14 AM
Nerve pain ain't no joke. I get it frequently (have scoliosis). You can complain all you want to us, OK? It's true the over-the-counter meds won't help. I use a prescription anti-inflammatory and a muscle relaxer in an effort to untrap the nerve. If needed I have an opioid. Nerve pain can be that bad. But I try to avoid the latter; it makes me tired and they're hard to refill.

Thank you spirals. I’m sorry that you have to live with this.

I’ve had a trapped nerve in my lower back before and had prescription anti inflammatory and co-codomol but I didn’t get on with them at all - one gave me nightmares and the other made me throw up. I went for cranio sacral massage that time and it released the nerve. I might try that again but I’m scared of anyone touching my head!

I’m hoping that my situation is temporary. It freaks me out a bit though because I’ve had nerve pains in my wrists and hands for about 20 years, although thankfully it’s not constant. It flares up very few months but doesn’t last long these days, as long as I’m careful.

I’ve started taking amitriptyline so hopefully that will help, and might even reduce migraines if I’m lucky! Thankfully I haven’t had one that’s taken hold since I hit my head, I managed to see them off.

yamsha23
May 26th, 2018, 12:18 PM

Welcome back Shepherdess! I'm a fan of your hair!

Random hair thought: Accidentally forgot to put some leave-in on my ends after showering and for once my ends look awesome!

spirals
May 26th, 2018, 01:46 PM
co-codomol but I didn’t get on with them at all - one gave me nightmares and the other made me throw up. It sounds like you're not in the U.S. I'm trying to figure out the equivalent of that, but it sounds like opiate mixed with paracetamol/acetaminophen? Those don't work for me. I have Tramadol which is a lab created opioid with no other pain killers in it. It works pretty well. I don't get trapped nerves as often as I do inflamed muscles as a result of their dealing with being in a weird position. But no matter; bad pain is bad pain and I think people shouldn't be talked down to for stating they are experiencing it. I saw twice on the internet today that scoliosis doesn't cause pain. I thought "Excuuuuse mee???"

Glitch
May 26th, 2018, 02:24 PM

I got one too last week and I'm in love with it! It's even better than my wooden brush - definitely amazing! :agape:

Lady Stardust
May 26th, 2018, 03:28 PM
It sounds like you're not in the U.S. I'm trying to figure out the equivalent of that, but it sounds like opiate mixed with paracetamol/acetaminophen? Those don't work for me. I have Tramadol which is a lab created opioid with no other pain killers in it. It works pretty well. I don't get trapped nerves as often as I do inflamed muscles as a result of their dealing with being in a weird position. But no matter; bad pain is bad pain and I think people shouldn't be talked down to for stating they are experiencing it. I saw twice on the internet today that scoliosis doesn't cause pain. I thought "Excuuuuse mee???"

You’re right, I’m in England. Co-codamol is a mix of paracetamol and codeine, but too much codeine (an opiate) makes me sick almost instantaneously, even a little makes me feel ill.

Inflammation that doesn’t get the chance to settle is horrible, anyone who says that doesn’t cause pain is just ignorant!

PixieP
May 26th, 2018, 03:40 PM
I've been out in the sun for about 7 hours today, and even with wearing my sunhat the majority of the time, I think I might have gotten sunburnt on the scalp... >.< at my temples. The skin there feels sore and tight. But I have to take the hat off when I'm shooting! (archery) Otherwise it's in the way when I lift my shoulders and I just knock it halfway off and it ruins my concentration.

Krissycats
May 26th, 2018, 05:25 PM
There are lots of sales on Memorial Day sales today on Etsy. I bought a hair stick that I couldn't resist.

Eastbound&Down
May 26th, 2018, 11:23 PM
I've been out in the sun for about 7 hours today, and even with wearing my sunhat the majority of the time, I think I might have gotten sunburnt on the scalp... >.< at my temples. The skin there feels sore and tight. But I have to take the hat off when I'm shooting! (archery) Otherwise it's in the way when I lift my shoulders and I just knock it halfway off and it ruins my concentration.

I made some hair kerchiefs that I have been wearing outdoors for several reasons, but one of which is the avoid sun damage and burns!

Katsura
May 27th, 2018, 01:55 AM
I think I'm shedding some hairs. The reason could be anything; stress, new products I'm using, the fact that I need to wear a scarf more often as I'm working outside under the sun, or that I need to wash my hair almost daily because of sweating...
The ends of my hair have been very well conditioned, they are not velcro at all anymore. But this shedding...

Lady Stardust
May 27th, 2018, 02:47 AM
I think I'm shedding some hairs. The reason could be anything; stress, new products I'm using, the fact that I need to wear a scarf more often as I'm working outside under the sun, or that I need to wash my hair almost daily because of sweating...
The ends of my hair have been very well conditioned, they are not velcro at all anymore. But this shedding...

It might be worth trying one of the UV protection Buffs, they block out the UV rays and keep your head cool. My head doesn’t get hot and sweaty when I wear one. They’re not cheap but worth it if you’re going to use them a lot.

Katsura
May 27th, 2018, 03:33 AM
It might be worth trying one of the UV protection Buffs, they block out the UV rays and keep your head cool. My head doesn’t get hot and sweaty when I wear one. They’re not cheap but worth it if you’re going to use them a lot.

Thank you for the tip, I will look them up. I've just used a thin cotton scarf, but I need to tie it from the neck so that part gets extra layers.

Sarahlabyrinth
May 27th, 2018, 04:03 AM
I made some hair kerchiefs that I have been wearing outdoors for several reasons, but one of which is the avoid sun damage and burns!

How do you make these?

Suze
May 27th, 2018, 10:23 AM
My mom came over unannounced and I was brushing my hair when she rang the doorbel. Thought it was a package so openend the door. My mom is usually very critical of my hair so I was alreday holding my breath... but she just looked at me and said:
'Wow your hair is incredibly beautiful and long'. My mom doesn't really give compliments ever so I was quite pleased.:o

Shepherdess
May 27th, 2018, 10:42 AM
My mom came over unannounced and I was brushing my hair when she rang the doorbel. Thought it was a package so openend the door. My mom is usually very critical of my hair so I was alreday holding my breath... but she just looked at me and said:
'Wow your hair is incredibly beautiful and long'. My mom doesn't really give compliments ever so I was quite pleased.:o
That's wonderful!!! :cheer:

YAY!!!!!!!! :cheer:

Welcome back ~ nice to see you again :waving:
Thank you!!!! So glad to see you too!! :flower:

Welcome back Shepherdess! I'm a fan of your hair!

Random hair thought: Accidentally forgot to put some leave-in on my ends after showering and for once my ends look awesome!
Aw, thank you!! I look forward to seeing more of your posts too. :blossom:

And wow, that's great!! I wonder why?

Andthetalltrees
May 27th, 2018, 12:15 PM
Hey I remember you too Shepherdess!! I just recently came back myself.

As for my random thought, Wow my hair regrew from it's trim creepily quick, what's with you hair

Jing
May 27th, 2018, 01:44 PM
Apparently it's the season of returning. I've been gone for years.

To try to make my curls behave while growing my hair longer or to go back to combing them out is the question. They're so very naughty.

ursaV
May 27th, 2018, 02:19 PM
DBF was looking for a pic in my phone gallery and asks me why I have so many pictures of my hair. I was so embarrassed, especially since they weren't good pictures at all. I just said I was keeping track of how much my hair grows, but I don't think he cares much because he didn't say anything else to the subject. After almost four years together I think he knows I'm a little weird! I'm still thinking about the incident though :headache:

Ligeia Noire
May 27th, 2018, 02:38 PM
Using panacea today on my hair mask to see if my wurls come back...

MoonRabbit
May 27th, 2018, 03:14 PM
DBF was looking for a pic in my phone gallery and asks me why I have so many pictures of my hair. I was so embarrassed, especially since they weren't good pictures at all. I just said I was keeping track of how much my hair grows, but I don't think he cares much because he didn't say anything else to the subject. After almost four years together I think he knows I'm a little weird! I'm still thinking about the incident though :headache:

Wait until the day when you start making him take all your length shots :p

Eastbound&Down
May 27th, 2018, 06:07 PM
How do you make these?

I cut squares about 14" out of some cotton material and folded into a triangle. With the bottom edge of the triangle, I took a piece of ribbon and sewed it on the inside edge with my sewing machine. I also created a hem on the other two sides with a zigzag stitch to give it some interest. I plan to embroider it once I receive my new kit. It ties under my bun with the ribbon and stays quite well. I hope that made sense.

Glitch
May 27th, 2018, 06:29 PM

Aww, I feel you, it's been the same for me haha :) Compliments from "tough critics" are at least a great way of knowing your hair is actually looking great! :heartbeat

pili
May 27th, 2018, 07:02 PM
Was it just me or did the boards glitch today?

I'm debating if I should wash tomorrow or hold off for another day or two....

Sarahlabyrinth
May 27th, 2018, 07:05 PM
I cut squares about 14" out of some cotton material and folded into a triangle. With the bottom edge of the triangle, I took a piece of ribbon and sewed it on the inside edge with my sewing machine. I also created a hem on the other two sides with a zigzag stitch to give it some interest. I plan to embroider it once I receive my new kit. It ties under my bun with the ribbon and stays quite well. I hope that made sense.

I think I see what you mean. So you just use it to cover your bun, not all of your hair?

Glitch
May 27th, 2018, 07:26 PM
Was it just me or did the boards glitch today?

I'm debating if I should wash tomorrow or hold off for another day or two....

They did indeed glitch. :eyebrows:

pili
May 27th, 2018, 07:48 PM
They did indeed glitch. :eyebrows:

HAHA! I see what you did there. So where you the reason my computer couldn't log onto the LHC server this afternoon?

Crystawni
May 27th, 2018, 08:13 PM
The forum re-routed post/forum links and ate my earlier posts (that I feel silly re-posting while trying to remember what I wrote). GLITCH!!! Were you fidgety and hungry or something?

Glitch
May 27th, 2018, 08:51 PM
HAHA! I see what you did there. So where you the reason my computer couldn't log onto the LHC server this afternoon?

The forum re-routed post/forum links and ate my earlier posts (that I feel silly re-posting while trying to remember what I wrote). GLITCH!!! Were you fidgety and hungry or something?

:rollin: All I'll say is that my mood has definitely upgraded, no more need to worry! ;)

Eastbound&Down
May 27th, 2018, 09:00 PM
I think I see what you mean. So you just use it to cover your bun, not all of your hair?

It covers my whole head, you could make the square bigger to ensure it covers your longer length. I will try to get a picture to show you what it looks like on

vampyyri
May 27th, 2018, 09:24 PM
Go figure I post here for the first time in weeks and the forum nearly implodes :lol:

My post was lost to the ether apparently... but I just got a bottle of sun-in to lighten up the growth from autumn to nearly summer, I haven't been outside at all this spring (yay depression) so I'm going to try and sit in the sun and multitask. Get some vitamin D and get my usual hair color back :sun:

Edit: I just realized as a vampire and all this may be a bad idea :flamed::rip:

Sarahlabyrinth
May 27th, 2018, 10:34 PM
It covers my whole head, you could make the square bigger to ensure it covers your longer length. I will try to get a picture to show you what it looks like on

I would like to see a photo if you have one :)

Eastbound&Down
May 28th, 2018, 12:06 AM
I would like to see a photo if you have one :)

Ok, a made a slightly larger one to account for a bigger bun. This one isn't hemmed up but rough dimensions are 24x24x37. This left enough excess to simply tie without the ribbon. Much more like a bandana tie.

https://s22.postimg.cc/cd1wfx2td/Collage_Maker_Plus_201852723223959.png (https://postimages.org/)post img (https://postimages.org/)

Sarahlabyrinth
May 28th, 2018, 01:20 AM
Ok, a made a slightly larger one to account for a bigger bun. This one isn't hemmed up but rough dimensions are 24x24x37. This left enough excess to simply tie without the ribbon. Much more like a bandana tie.

https://s22.postimg.cc/cd1wfx2td/Collage_Maker_Plus_201852723223959.png (https://postimages.org/)post img (https://postimages.org/)

Ah, ok, gotcha :thumbsup: Looks very nice and practical, too.

Joules
May 28th, 2018, 03:02 AM
My favourite hair care company produces only 250 ml and 350 ml bottles of shampoos and conditioners. 250 ml bottle of conditioner lasts me exactly two washes, maybe I could stretch it to three if I'm not mixng it with hyaluronic fillers and oils. 350 ml bottle is a bit better, 3-4 washes, but still. Shampoos last me about twice as long, but still it's way too little for me, thinking about getting a new bottle every time I go grocery shopping can get annoying.

Why can't they make special 1 litre bottles for people like me? I see a lot of huge bottles of shampoos and conditioners from other brands in supermarkets. Maybe I should write them an email detailing my struggles?

Simsy
May 28th, 2018, 06:13 AM
My favourite hair care company produces only 250 ml and 350 ml bottles of shampoos and conditioners. 250 ml bottle of conditioner lasts me exactly two washes, maybe I could stretch it to three if I'm not mixng it with hyaluronic fillers and oils. 350 ml bottle is a bit better, 3-4 washes, but still. Shampoos last me about twice as long, but still it's way too little for me, thinking about getting a new bottle every time I go grocery shopping can get annoying.

Why can't they make special 1 litre bottles for people like me? I see a lot of huge bottles of shampoos and conditioners from other brands in supermarkets. Maybe I should write them an email detailing my struggles?

Try finding wholesales or commercial suppliers...

littlestarface
May 28th, 2018, 11:20 AM
Go figure I post here for the first time in weeks and the forum nearly implodes :lol:

My post was lost to the ether apparently... but I just got a bottle of sun-in to lighten up the growth from autumn to nearly summer, I haven't been outside at all this spring (yay depression) so I'm going to try and sit in the sun and multitask. Get some vitamin D and get my usual hair color back :sun:

Edit: I just realized as a vampire and all this may be a bad idea :flamed::rip:

Lol I hate the sun I think i'm a vampire cuz seriously if my skin even sees the sun I get sun poisoning seriously! Sun baaaad. I'm so glad you didn't cut your hair and its to classic now.

vampyyri
May 28th, 2018, 03:23 PM
Lol I hate the sun I think i'm a vampire cuz seriously if my skin even sees the sun I get sun poisoning seriously! Sun baaaad. I'm so glad you didn't cut your hair and its to classic now.

I know right?! Luckily I have lots of sunscreen on hand :lol: and I'm glad I stopped messing with it too! I kept setting myself back with depression-fueled trims because of the hemline... but microtrimming at my goal is so much easier

Sarahlabyrinth
May 28th, 2018, 03:28 PM
I know right?! Luckily I have lots of sunscreen on hand :lol: and I'm glad I stopped messing with it too! I kept setting myself back with depression-fueled trims because of the hemline... but microtrimming at my goal is so much easier

Wow, you're at Classic now? I'm sure we would love a photo :)

Suze
May 28th, 2018, 03:38 PM
Aww, I feel you, it's been the same for me haha :) Compliments from "tough critics" are at least a great way of knowing your hair is actually looking great! :heartbeat

Oh, I like the way you think!!:heartbeat

vampyyri
May 28th, 2018, 04:46 PM
Wow, you're at Classic now? I'm sure we would love a photo :)

I haven't taken a length shot in ages, I really should :p soon!

Sarahlabyrinth
May 28th, 2018, 04:48 PM
I haven't taken a length shot in ages, I really should :p soon!

I think that would be an excellent idea! And maybe an updated siggy pic? :D

Trip
May 28th, 2018, 06:50 PM
I collect earrings and wear them every day i like the really noticeable dangly catchyourattention ones but ive had to cut wearing a lot of them because my hair gets caught in them and ive snapped a few hairs this makes me sad
Maybe when my hair grows further i will start wearing them again with secure updos

Glitch
May 28th, 2018, 07:16 PM
Oh, I like the way you think!!:heartbeat

Thank you so much Suze! :o

pili
May 28th, 2018, 07:45 PM
I collect earrings and wear them every day i like the really noticeable dangly catchyourattention ones but ive had to cut wearing a lot of them because my hair gets caught in them and ive snapped a few hairs this makes me sad
Maybe when my hair grows further i will start wearing them again with secure updos
I looooove earrings! I'm really into eye-catching boho ones. Since I wear my hair up everyday, it makes me feel pretty and not blah.

Katia_k
May 28th, 2018, 07:55 PM
Thought for the day: I love my curls, and they're even behaving today for the first time in *months*, but sometimes when I read on here about people just oiling and brushing their hair, I am so envious. I don't want straight hair, but that lovely slick gliding-brush feeling...that I want, just sometimes. It sounds so luxurious... This is also why I love other people washing my hair. I don't have to deal with all the annoying tangles and clumps, I can just lay back and let my head get fondled. I know head-touching's not everyone's cup of tea, but I really, really love it.

pili
May 28th, 2018, 08:22 PM
Thought for the day: I love my curls, and they're even behaving today for the first time in *months*, but sometimes when I read on here about people just oiling and brushing their hair, I am so envious. I don't want straight hair, but that lovely slick gliding-brush feeling...that I want, just sometimes. It sounds so luxurious... This is also why I love other people washing my hair. I don't have to deal with all the annoying tangles and clumps, I can just lay back and let my head get fondled. I know head-touching's not everyone's cup of tea, but I really, really love it.

Oh, I hear ya. As I kid I would brush and brush, and my hair would snap and snap....

Today, I used a buff to protect my hair from the sun. First time. I didn't realize how it helps to keep me cool too.

Glitch
May 29th, 2018, 08:26 AM
Ever since I got my mom a nice silk satin scrunchie and told her of its benefits, she basically hasn’t taken it off :laugh: So cute!

Kibrah
May 29th, 2018, 09:30 AM
Maybe my hubby is right and I am hair obsessed! I had a dream last night that I was doing g my monthly hair measurement and was going to do a micro trim. I looked at the back. Of my hair in the mirror to make sure it was all in place to measure and the ends weren't in am inverted U and all sad damaged anymore. I was so happy. I didn't need that trim anymore. What a lovely dream.

Zesty
May 29th, 2018, 09:31 AM
I wasn't going to trim until January but then DH proposed we go to Rapunzel's together for trims (he's growing his hair too and wants to start moving towards trimming out his layers) and it's so freaking cute I might have to cave.

Kat
May 29th, 2018, 09:31 AM
I can't figure out if my hair isn't getting clean, or if it just holds on to scent. I have to admit there is one thing I hate about living somewhere hot vs. cold, and it's the fact that my hair always stinks (oil/sweat. I've complained about this before). I just washed my hair: CO wash, then a wash with clarifying shampoo, then a second lather with another SLS containing shampoo. Just got out of the shower and it still stinks. The shampoo lathers up well the way it does when my hair is clean (used to be, when my hair would get more oily before I'd wash, the first shampoo wouldn't lather but the second would). I use a fair amount of shampoo and make sure it's worked in well to try to get it to my scalp and all strands. My hair still smells oily/sweaty. It does tend to hold scents even sometimes after washing (I've had people comment on my "perfume" even though I hadn't put any EOs in my hair since like two washes ago), so it's possible the smell just gets in my hair and even though the hair is clean, the dirty smell remains.

I don't have time to wash it every day. As it is I wash it three times a week (2 times, after workouts, I do a CO-wash followed by a light shampooing, then on the weekend I usually do a full-on shampoo and condition). Sometimes that helps, but sometimes not. If I sweat into it-- and let's face it, here you sweat every day-- it immediately stinks. It's disgusting... I don't know how my SO can stand to be near me.

TreesOfEternity
May 29th, 2018, 10:17 AM
I can't figure out if my hair isn't getting clean, or if it just holds on to scent. I have to admit there is one thing I hate about living somewhere hot vs. cold, and it's the fact that my hair always stinks (oil/sweat. I've complained about this before). I just washed my hair: CO wash, then a wash with clarifying shampoo, then a second lather with another SLS containing shampoo. Just got out of the shower and it still stinks. The shampoo lathers up well the way it does when my hair is clean (used to be, when my hair would get more oily before I'd wash, the first shampoo wouldn't lather but the second would). I use a fair amount of shampoo and make sure it's worked in well to try to get it to my scalp and all strands. My hair still smells oily/sweaty. It does tend to hold scents even sometimes after washing (I've had people comment on my "perfume" even though I hadn't put any EOs in my hair since like two washes ago), so it's possible the smell just gets in my hair and even though the hair is clean, the dirty smell remains.

I don't have time to wash it every day. As it is I wash it three times a week (2 times, after workouts, I do a CO-wash followed by a light shampooing, then on the weekend I usually do a full-on shampoo and condition). Sometimes that helps, but sometimes not. If I sweat into it-- and let's face it, here you sweat every day-- it immediately stinks. It's disgusting... I don't know how my SO can stand to be near me.

Does your length keep the smell of sweat? Or just the scalp?
I use an scented leave in cream and keep my hair in a bun most of the time because it loves to grab every smell it encounters as well. In summer I’m planning on mixing a little bit of scented conditioner, EOs and water to spray my hair between washes, maybe you’ve tried it already I haven’t yet.

toastmouse
May 29th, 2018, 04:45 PM

Ohhh this happened to me for the first time the other day! I never thought about it being a problem before. But I like the idea of wearing them with updos! It might help motivate me to put my hair up more when it gets longer

PixieP
May 29th, 2018, 05:21 PM
I think I need to trim 6-7 centimetres, it’s a bit annoying because I just reached TBL and that will put me back at BCLish, but my ends are very ragged now. They tangle so much it drives me nuts. So I’d rather be at BCL with a neater hem:)

Oh and I’m trying a new box dye today as I haven’t been too happy with the one I’ve used lately (the one I used to use was discontinued :( ), but next time I dye I will be going back to henna. Nightblooming’s Fire Genasi :D I will miss my waves though. They disappear a lot more when I’m using henna.

Kibrah
May 29th, 2018, 05:23 PM
I am wondering if my acv rinse gets out some of the cones in my conditioner. I recently tried a cone free conditioner, VO5 free me freesia. My hair felt soft and didn't tangle as I feared it might, but did feel different and have less slip than when I use my Pantene. I had a bit of Pantene left and used it the wash before last. I noticed it also wasn't to slippy after my acv rinse. Today same thing with a deep conditioner with cones. My hair felt similar to when I tried the cone free conditions. Any one else notice this.

PixieP
May 29th, 2018, 06:22 PM
Actually... for quite some time now I have been pondering doing a BIG chop. Like to collar bone length or something (just enough that I can get it up). And then grow it out again. How utterly delightful it would be to get rid of all old damage and start fresh! Also I am extremely curious what my waves would looks like shorter.

Kat
May 29th, 2018, 06:30 PM
Does your length keep the smell of sweat? Or just the scalp?
I use an scented leave in cream and keep my hair in a bun most of the time because it loves to grab every smell it encounters as well. In summer I’m planning on mixing a little bit of scented conditioner, EOs and water to spray my hair between washes, maybe you’ve tried it already I haven’t yet.

My scalp and the part that touches my neck. Any part that gets sweated into, pretty much. Unfortunately, it's humid enough here that my scalp sweats, so putting it up doesn't help anything.

I'm afraid to use anything to scent my hair because I'm afraid it won't cover it up and then I'll just be one of those people who reeks *and* smells like perfume. (I'm also afraid the combination might "ruin" the scent of the EO for people. You know, like "I used to like lavender until I knew this woman who always used it to try to cover up the fact that she needed to wash her hair and now I can't smell it without thinking of her dirty hair.")

I've thought of oiling my hair well enough that it can't absorb sweat (I hope), but then I'd have to walk around with greasy-looking (and feeling) hair. I always wear my hair in a braid so it wouldn't be THAT obvious, but you'd still be able to tell and I'd be embarrassed any time I had to take it down and re-do it in public.

spirals
May 29th, 2018, 09:01 PM
Longhairs in the 1920s, y'all: https://youtu.be/684n8FO68LU?t=131

Groovy Granny
May 29th, 2018, 09:20 PM
I have often mentioned having a short and shrinking torso, with very short distances between landmarks.

Well today at my physical, I was told I lost another 1/2 inch this past year.... a total loss of 2 inches since I started growing my hair in 2013....I am now 5'3" :thud:

At this rate I will be reaching KNEE (not even my goal) in record time, with my hair growth not having much to do with it :rollin:

This 'groovy granny' is turning into a LITTLE old Granny :flower:

Sarahlabyrinth
May 29th, 2018, 09:29 PM
I have often mentioned having a short and shrinking torso, with very short distances between landmarks.

Well today at my physical, I was told I lost another 1/2 inch this past year.... a total loss of 2 inches since I started growing my hair in 2013....I am now 5'3" :thud:

At this rate I will be reaching KNEE (not even my goal) in record time, with my hair growth not having much to do with it :rollin:

This 'groovy granny' is turning into a LITTLE old lady :flower:

Little old ladies are the best - particularly the long haired variety :flower:

I think I may have lost some height too, but haven't measured to see.

daisy rei
May 29th, 2018, 09:34 PM
Longhairs in the 1920s, y'all: https://youtu.be/684n8FO68LU?t=131

wow! i absolutely love it! i can never get enough of historical hair.

do you think their texture is natural or a result of braids?

Groovy Granny
May 29th, 2018, 09:51 PM
Little old ladies are the best - particularly the long haired variety :flower:

I think I may have lost some height too, but haven't measured to see.

LOL thanks :o

You can afford it being so tall ;)

I could see myself shrinking next to my grandsons who are growing like weeds; now I know I was helping them out but won't tell them that :p

pili
May 29th, 2018, 10:43 PM
It turns out doing a deep oil treatment every other wash is the perfect amount for me. Every wash is too much, but once a month leaves me with dry hair. I wash every 7-10 days.

TreesOfEternity
May 29th, 2018, 10:52 PM
My scalp and the part that touches my neck. Any part that gets sweated into, pretty much. Unfortunately, it's humid enough here that my scalp sweats, so putting it up doesn't help anything.

I'm afraid to use anything to scent my hair because I'm afraid it won't cover it up and then I'll just be one of those people who reeks *and* smells like perfume. (I'm also afraid the combination might "ruin" the scent of the EO for people. You know, like "I used to like lavender until I knew this woman who always used it to try to cover up the fact that she needed to wash her hair and now I can't smell it without thinking of her dirty hair.")

I've thought of oiling my hair well enough that it can't absorb sweat (I hope), but then I'd have to walk around with greasy-looking (and feeling) hair. I always wear my hair in a braid so it wouldn't be THAT obvious, but you'd still be able to tell and I'd be embarrassed any time I had to take it down and re-do it in public.

I’m sure other people don’t notice the smell as much as you do :) don’t be too hard on yourself, and it you “ruin” EOs for someone that’s on them it’s not your fault!
What I do in summer after I go for a run and my hair is soaking wet in sweat is getting it wet to remove the sweat a little bit (not using shampoo if it’s not my washing day yet) and applying a little of conditioner on the length to avoid losing moisture + getting some of the good smell.

Joules
May 30th, 2018, 03:12 AM
I had a nightmare-ish dream about my hair today, again. In my dream I cut in thick bangs and kinda regretted it. In real life I've been growing out my bangs for 2,5 years (will be 3 years on October 5th), it's to my breast already and I quite like it grown out. Why all my hair-related dreams are so bad all the time? Why can't I dream about my hair growing to floor, why it always has to be drastic cuts or bleach/permanent dye?

Kat
May 30th, 2018, 05:44 AM
UGH. I hate dealing with my hair when I want to jump rope. If I leave it in one or two braids, my hair hits the rope and stops it. There aren't many styles I can do that are "up" and stay up through constant jumping up and down... usually I can do Heidi braids, but that takes a few minutes to braid my hair and then pin it up... annoying if I'm only going to be jumping rope for like 10-20 minutes. Sometimes I'll try to fold my braid back up and tuck it through an elastic at the top of my braid, but that doesn't usually work very well.

Like today, when a couple minutes into our jump rope workout my hair pulled out of the loop and also the elastic at the end of the braid. I couldn't stop the workout to re-do my hair, so it slowly came out of the braid,and then the other elastic came out, so my hip-length hair is loose. While I'm jumping rope. When it's about 93 degrees out at 80-some% humidity ("real feel" was supposed to be 100-105 degrees, I think) so I am covered in sweat literally from head to toe, with my hair sticking all over. After that part I sat down to re-do my hair... unsticking it from my body, discovering it had become wrapped around my necklace (I had to tear it; there wasn't time to interrupt the workout long enough to painstakingly separate it. Sorry, hair, but if you're going to suck, this is what you get), trying to rebraid, quickly, with sweaty hands.... disgusting.