Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cones-are they good or bad?

Length
    na/na/na
    Type
    1a/F/i

Default Cones-are they good or bad?

I was going to respond to the Coney goodness thread but I thought starting a new thread would maybe get me more answers as I am so confused and need help!

So all of you cone lovers out there-are cones bad for your hair? Is it more of whether your hair loves them or hates them? Meaning its not really damaging either way its more of how your hair reacts to them? See Im still pretty much a newbie here and Im on overload on whats good for your hair and whats not. And its truly driving me crazy

For example, I read where some people have used sulfates and cones with no problems and then a year later not so much. Kinda like it was a hidden evil. Like its only a temporary good thing. But if thats correct wouldnt clarifying take care of that? See, I want to buy a clarifying shampoo and then use a protein treatment I got at Sally's and then I read to do a moisturizing conditioner after the protein because of how drying it can be. So here I am at Sally's wondering if I am even buying the right thing (I bought ion reconstructive protein treatment) because I have no idea if there are sulfates or cones in it and then all their moisturizing conditioners contain cones and probably other stuff so I have no idea if I am even doing anything good for my hair. I also read on here of people loving the Aussie three minute miracle moisturizing condidtioner so does that have cones and stuff? And if alot of these products do have it in them does it even matter? Because if my hair ends up loving the protein treatment and Aussie three minute miracle afterwards then maybe I should just pay attention to clarifying every so often and all will be fine!

So ladies, and gents, did I make any sense at all?! I need some education on sulfates and cones. I have read alot about them on here but my brain just cant handle the hair information overload right now. Some people will not touch sulfates and cones and all that other bad stuff and others love it! How do I know if it will damage my hair? My hair is damaged from bleach and color right now so its not like I will notice if it is damaging my hair. And if my hair is way better because of them will I notice that right away and will it only be temporary?

Im so sorry for my rambling and Im sure confusing post but as you can see-I need help!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Cones-are they good or bad?

Quote Originally Posted by spookyghost View Post
    Some people will not touch sulfates and cones and all that other bad stuff and others love it! How do I know if it will damage my hair? My hair is damaged from bleach and color right now so its not like I will notice if it is damaging my hair. And if my hair is way better because of them will I notice that right away and will it only be temporary?
    It's just a matter of knowing what's out there, what your hair's condition is in and what it needs right now. I would not recommend going without cones if you have bleach and color damage in your hair. Yes it will mask the damage, but yes you'll also be able to get a comb through - if you get my meaning.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Stop reading, and start doing! The thing is, everyone's hair reacts differently. Cones are good if your hair likes them, and bad if it doesn't. Same with sulphates. Plenty of people can wash with sulphate shampoo and use cones and never have a problem. Some of this has to do with hair type, water, climate, and who knows what else. I have tried and tried to love cones--I could really use them because my hair is tangly--but they simply don't work for me. So I'm not anti-cone, but know from experience that I can't use them.

The one thing I wouldn't do is start using a bunch of different new products all at once. If you do that, you'll never know what is working and what isn't. Try one new thing at a time, and keep a journal of results.

Length
    ??/32/??
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii

I only went cone-free for about a year. The rest of the time my hair was getting cones and sulfates. My hair has been dyed red more times than I can count. Once I dyed it burgundy and didn't like it and thought I killed it with hair stripper. My hair was so dry my cones were not cutting it to straighten out the mess I made of it with a super drying protein treatment. I went the natural route because I wanted to wash it with conditioner only and wanted to worry less about product build-up. I was using too much protein thinking my hair needed more stretchy elastic bounce to be called healthy and making it drier than it needed to be. Basically I just freaked out and over-reacted and went nuts trying to fix my problems. BEWARE OF FREAKING OUT AND CHANGING EVERYTHING AT ONCE! Its hard to find products and routines that work and then one day they could stop working so well and you have to try stuff out to find something better. Over all, I blew some money and some time but no permanent harm was done. You can use cones and just clarify when you get build up, or you can just break out a sulfate shampoo and strip those cones right off! There are great products in all the camps so most people will have okay hair either way. Sometimes cones pull my waves out and leave me with blah fuzzy looking hair, but not all of them do that to me. The Pantene Relaxed and Natural doesn't drag my curl out. If it ain't broke, you might not want to go on a quest for the ultimate haircare. I've decided that the cost of olive oil and coconut oil are CHEAP. There are good CHEAP conditioners too! Sometimes you just want to go to the store and buy something and not wait on a package to arrive. The best things I've found are the simple and cheap tricks like a honey and EVOO conditioning treatment, YES!

Length
    na/na/na
    Type
    1a/F/i

I agree totally about not trying too many things at once-that right there is probably the best thing I can do for my hair! The only thing I have tried so far is oiling my hair with castor, coconut, and olive oil. I have stopped that for now because I dont think my hair likes oils. I was under the impression, by self diagnosis-hilarious I know, that my hair needed moisture and my hair dresser said she thought it needed protein. So since I stopped the oils for now I figured I would use a clarifying shampoo and use the protein and moisturizing conditioner and see how that goes. I am starting a hair journal too.

Jeanniet-when you say that cones are good if my hair likes them and bad if my hair doesnt-do you mean if my hair doesnt like cones it will damage my hair? Or do you mean if my hair doesnt like cones it will just not look good!

Thanks everyone-as you can tell I need some good advice!

Length
    21.5"/40.2"/?
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

I have bleach damaged ends. I used to use coney conditioners all of the time. It was the only think that kept the ends manageable. Then I started hennaing and realized that it had the same sort of smoothing detangling effect on the damaged ends, but instead of lasting for a few days it lasted for months. So i ditched cones completely. And now all of hair looks great, not just the ends.

Summary: my damaged ends loved cones, the rest of my hair hated them. Hennaed, now I am no cones for several months.
    1b/F/M/iii APL~BSL~MBL~WL~Elbow~Hip~BCL~TBL 40" Finally!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

My hair loves cones in small doses. I can only use a serum sparingly about once per week. More than that and it gets all dried out and tangly. Weird!

There are no simple answers, it seems.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by spookyghost View Post
    Jeanniet-when you say that cones are good if my hair likes them and bad if my hair doesnt-do you mean if my hair doesnt like cones it will damage my hair? Or do you mean if my hair doesnt like cones it will just not look good!
    Cones or sulfates don't damage your hair. It's just that some people can and will use them, others won't. It just a matter of what your hair reacts well too.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jeanniet View Post
    Stop reading, and start doing! The thing is, everyone's hair reacts differently. Cones are good if your hair likes them, and bad if it doesn't. Same with sulphates. Plenty of people can wash with sulphate shampoo and use cones and never have a problem. Some of this has to do with hair type, water, climate, and who knows what else. [...]

The one thing I wouldn't do is start using a bunch of different new products all at once. If you do that, you'll never know what is working and what isn't. Try one new thing at a time, and keep a journal of results.
    Agreed. There's no right or wrong answer to this, just experiment and see what your hair and scalp like. Even if you found someone who was an exact hair twin to you, living in a similar climate, with similar water quality, etc., you could still have an entirely different reaction to 'cones and sulphates - or any product for that matter - than they do.

I will eat all your tofu maborosi's Avatar
    Length
    16"/38.5"/55"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Depends on your hair, honestly. Also, there are a ton of different cones out there. I've recently found that my hair doesn't do too well with dimethicone, because it builds up so fast, but with amodimethicone, my hair is really happy and slippy!

When I don't use cones, my hair is more prone to being tangled.

~maborosi~