Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people seem to think that long hair makes people look older?

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    0"/CBL/?
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Default Why do people seem to think that long hair makes people look older?

Personally, I associate long hair with youth. I find the thought that people look older with longer hair bizare.

Why do you think that people associate longer hair with being old?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Why do people seem to think that long hair makes people look older?

I would rather think the opposite. Who thinks that? I have never heard of that.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/CBL/cheez
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Oh my goodness yes.
    All the little old ladies have short hair. All the teenagers have long hair.
    And yet someone chops their hair off and everyone immediately says, "You look so much younger!"
    I think I look older with short hair, your typical thirtysomething mom. Long hair helps me maintain the delusion that I am young and full of vim and vigor.

Length
    APL/BCL/TBL
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

I have no idea. I'm with you, I associate long hair with youth. The vast majority of older ladies that I know have really short hair. But maybe it's the bun? There is an old stereotype of the granny with the white bun ( like in the Tweety bird cartoon).

APL ~
    BSL~ Waist~ Hip ~BCL~ TBL
    Hennahead~Type 1c/M/ii/iii

Length
    pixie/Calf/max
    Type
    1a/F/i

I also have not heard this, but I'm guessing the youth of the poster combined with undefined "longer" and "older" may explain the apparent confusion.

Length
    0"/CBL/?
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by AmaryllisRed View Post
    Oh my goodness yes.
    All the little old ladies have short hair. All the teenagers have long hair.
    And yet someone chops their hair off and everyone immediately says, "You look so much younger!"
    I think I look older with short hair, your typical thirtysomething mom. Long hair helps me maintain the delusion that I am young and full of vim and vigor.
    I wonder if all of the little old ladies have short hair to make them look "younger"?

My mom has started telling me that I'm "too old" for long hair and that it makes me look "much older".

Length
    25.5"/.../Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Just like with everything else, there's no one size fits all. Some people look older, some younger.

Be the voice for those that can't speak...

Length
    0"/CBL/?
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I would rather think the opposite. Who thinks that? I have never heard of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cg View Post
    I also have not heard this, but I'm guessing the youth of the poster combined with undefined "longer" and "older" may explain the apparent confusion.
    Perhaps it's regional. Maybe some sort of Southern and Midwestern US thing? I've heard all my life that long hair makes women over 25 look older and that it's inappropriate.

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I get it, I really do. There are a ton of make over videos that show longhairs getting a cut who end up looking younger but there aren't many showing makeovers that show the person looking older.It's going to depend on the person, some look better short, some long.

As a dude, I've been told to grow up and cut my hair before. No can do