Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I Thin My Hair at the Salon... is That Bad?

Easily Enabled
    Length
    24"/~40"/~40"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: I Thin My Hair at the Salon... is That Bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Mingle View Post
    Is there anything else I can do to make my hair not so... big? xD
    I'm not sure how else to explain that.
    Are you trying to grow your hair or maintain the length? I ask because when my hair has more length and weight it makes it a lot less big, especially after BSL. At shoulder length I get the 'triangle head' look going on if I'm not careful.

TrudieCat

Not bad if you like it! I find that, when I've had my hair thinned at the salon in the past, it's required more styling to look nice - I can't really wash and go. It'll need more heat-smoothing, but it'll look good in the end.

Two things make my hair less poofy. 1) Growing it longer , and 2) Manipulating it less when it's dry (this includes finger-combing and definitely includes regular combing)

You might like this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...k-haired+unite

And welcome!

Length
    18 in/18 in/24 in
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I have my hair thinned (not too much) and have no damage from it as my hd uses thinning scissors, not by razoring. No idea how they work but my hair agrees with it having your hair thinned isn't all that bad.
    Growing out again
    Shoulder (Aug '12)>>>APL (??)
    My Blog: http://musingsfromheids.blogspot.com/

Type
    2b/M/C/iii

My hair sounds fairly similar to yours (wavy, poofy etc.) and I had a hairdresser razor my hair pretty extensively a year ago. Or at least I asked her for layers and she then used a razor on it for about 20 minutes (I didn't know then what I know now or I would have stopped her)! I am still finding all these weird splits where the hair hasn't split from the bottom like normal, but a piece of hair has come away a couple of inches up the strand. I'm convinced it's from the razoring because I've never seen anything else like it!

I do think my hair sits more nicely when it's all one length - for me having a shorter top layer is a disaster because the shorter my hair is the more it poofs out! So I totally understand the "veranda" thing, I'm trying to grow one of my own out!

Length
    SL/WL/WL+~2
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I had my hair thinned once, three years ago. There's a definite line- nice smooth hair above, annoying flyaways below. My hair is really particular, though, and it may work for you.

Length
    15/29.5/34
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

With the others - it's all on what agrees with your hair. Mine splits like madness when anyone comes within 2 feet of it with a razor. "Chunking" shears aren't really a problem for me, and I have found sometimes that it looks better with some texture in the ends - especially when it's shorter than APL-BSL.

At the moment though -since my goal is waist, I'm not cutting, texturing or even trimming (egads!). I'm dealing with the volume at the ends, and just keeping it up until it's long enough to look normal.

Shoulder~APL~BSL
    ~Waist - Onward to Hip?!

Length
    21/22/40
    Type
    1b/1c/M/C/ii/iii

When my hairdresser used to layer my hair, he wouldn't use a razor. He would always use scissors. He would hold the hair straight up from the head and cut it pretty bluntly, but when he dropped it, it would fall into natural looking layers. It wouldn't look blunt once it was down. If you like it thinned, maybe ask them to do it like that?

Spatially Disoriented Charybdis's Avatar
    Length
    chin/tbl/clsc
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Your hairdresser needs a proper pair of thinning shears, like this: http://www.ohmybeauty.com/products/T...-27-teeth.html

My hair requires extensive use of these to lie with any kind of smoothness when the overall length is anywhere between pixie and a couple of inches below chin. Otherwise I get pyramid head. Don't let your stylist cheap out and use a razor! Any good stylist who works with thick-haired wurlies should have a pair of these shears in his or her arsenal. (Kisses to my hairdresser of the last decade, who introduced me to the magic of thinning shears. I *can* wear a layered chin-length bob!)

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I had my hair thinned out twice, without the hairdresser telling me. Apparently my hair was too thick for a pixie, and it kinda was... It looked like flat thick grass, like a lawnmower had passed over it before it was thinned out. Anyway, the experience was not pleasant and those thinning shears were used pretty much right at the root (boy, that hurt).

I guess thinning layers out with a razor doesn't seem so bad to me, but I don't quite see how that has anything to do with lessening frizzy hair. You fight the frizz by adding on weight, by growing out your hair and/or by moisturizing the heck out of it (lots of conditioner). Any amount of layering or razoring is not going to do away with frizzy hair, I don't think.

Try looking up the Curly Girl method or try looking at the tightlycurly site. The best ever if you want to fight frizz.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I hear you about the big hair. Mine can be very bushy, but length helps to weigh it down. I had mine thinned once and hated it - so many random short hairs poking out everywhere. I've got enough of that already because of the shed and regrow cycle.