Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is mineral oil better tangle resolver than other oils (like for example coconut oil)?

Default Is mineral oil better tangle resolver than other oils (like for example coconut oil)?

Mineral oil is getting praises all around the internet... Is it really a tangle saver? (Or maybe rather tangle terminator and hair saver...)

It's just a shame that I can't find it in oil shelf, and I think I don't find it in herbal shops either...

Default Re: Is mineral oil better tangle resolver than other oils (like for example coconut o

I really managed to resolve the most nightmarish tangles (really the "you don't find these in youtube" -tangles) with coconut oil and sunflower oil, but I don't mind finding even better oils, because the longer my hair gets, the worse the tangle challenges get.

Default Re: Is mineral oil better tangle resolver than other oils (like for example coconut o

I’ve never used mineral oil - is it the same as baby oil? That might help you to find some.

I found that olive oil gave a good amount of slip for detangling but it was too heavy for my hair.

I’ve mentioned this in another thread, but babassu oil is great for detangling (before washing) and it doesn’t weigh my hair down at all.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Priska, look in grocery stores among baby products. You will undoubtedly find that typical Johnson & Johnson bottle there. Mineral oil and baby oil are the same!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./72"/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Priska View Post
    Mineral oil is getting praises all around the internet... Is it really a tangle saver? (Or maybe rather tangle terminator and hair saver...)

It's just a shame that I can't find it in oil shelf, and I think I don't find it in herbal shops either...
    I'd think any LOW VISCOSITY oil would work better than just any oil. For example, castor oil is rather "thick" and so doesn't work very well. Mineral oil comes in many viscosities. As does motor oil (Castrol). So do silicone oils. If you are searching/buying online, you might keep this in mind. If you ask your druggist/pharmacist what viscosity oil is in the bottle on the shelf, you'll likely get a blank stare
    Last edited by foreveryours; December 18th, 2022 at 06:30 AM.
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > KNEE+

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

This has mineral oil and smells really good. I prefer it over any plant type of oil https://www.amazon.com/Salon-Selecti.../dp/B09T8L8HVG I was able to find it at the dollar store but like already mentioned, baby oil is mineral oil, I just don't care for the scent of baby oil.

I learned from LHC that many use baby oil as hair oil. I have an old bottle sitting around that I put into a small glass squirt bottle. It works great for my hair especially in the winter time as a rinse-out-oil in shower between conditioner applications. Post shower it works similarly to a silicone serum for me such as Chi infra silk infusion (which I learned about here as well from bannoo). I find with baby oil there is no need to reapply between washes, compared to oils like jojoba.

Compared to coconut oil… well, I can’t use coconut as a leave-in, but I suppose it would work OK for detangling before a shower. I used it as an all over treatment prior to bleaching. It looks greasy and never ‘soaks in’ for me.
    Maintaining 31” HL last bleach nov 2020 final goal is HL virgin hair by 6/2025 for my 40th

you just have to look for paraffinum liquidum on the INCI LIST. They are tons of it everywhere. I believe mineral. oil acts as a protective coating, and plant oil penetrates their cuticule.
    I have seen wonderful results of mineral oil on my nails much better than any plant oil. So I'm wondering if mineral oil would protect my ends better too.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Illia570 View Post
    you just have to look for paraffinum liquidum on the INCI LIST. They are tons of it everywhere. I believe mineral. oil acts as a protective coating, and plant oil penetrates their cuticule.
    I have seen wonderful results of mineral oil on my nails much better than any plant oil. So I'm wondering if mineral oil would protect my ends better too.
    I used to use mineral oil in an oil rinse (max. 10 drops and that was the maximum for real or else it would get too oily). I loved it much better than any other oil. I liked sweet almond too, but mineral oil does such a great job. I used to use about 5 drops, 10 really is a maximum number I would never get close to. You need so little of this oil and it does so much. Brings so much joy, almost. LOL!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Thank you Lapushka I will try that !