Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeking updo advice for 8YO niece

Length
    16/22.5/Hip
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i

Default Re: Seeking updo advice for 8YO niece

Goody Spin Pins!! They work at just about any length, you may need a few more as you get longer though.
    Lady Aruna, Curl Crowned Matriarch of the Golden Song in the Order of the Longhaired Knights!

Length
    34/Long/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Here is another vote for jaw clips, mini or otherwise.

If you start with buns that have a ponytail or braid secured with elastic, then her hair will stay reasonably tidy even if she bounces the bun loose before the day is over.

Nulliparous Snarkus RadiantNeedle's Avatar
    Length
    15"/Knee/Knee
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

As far as the kitty problem goes, maybe find a pretty box for your niece to put all her 'special hair things' in, and encourage the habit of taking the pins or clips from the box, putting them in her hair, and then putting them straight back into the special box when she takes her hair down.
    Maybe a colourful tin for pins that can be put into the special box along with her scrunchies and ties and clips?
    8<3
    Currently Knee Length, Ridiculous Bunwaves, Sulphate Free Shampoo, Conefree Condish, Coconut Oil Addict!

Length
    28/40/...
    Type
    1a/F/i

I was thinking claw clips until I saw the Flexi suggestion.. now I think Flexi would be best, though they aren't the most inexpensive things around. Start with lots of claw clips, and as torrilin suggested, work on the idea that doing her own hair is what big girls do... and if she wants all the other girls to oooh and aaaah over her hair and hairstyles, she needs to prove that she is responsible enough to 1) consistently take care of her hair and 2) keep track of her hairtoys. THEN start with the Flexis (ok, maybe get a couple for now so she can see how great they are).

On that note, I have a few smaller Flexi-8s that I'd be willing to part with for a good cause. I'll be cheaper than the regular store too. (Trades are definitely welcome, or pay a bit plus shipping.) Send me a PM if you're interested.

Come to think of it... I have a whole PILE of hairtoys that are in the lot to go to the trash or charity, and you'd be welcome to them (if you'll pay shipping please?) - mostly clips and bands... things that looked neat in the store but got home and went.. meh...

Another idea - um.. I forget what they're called, but they're the things that help you make buns. You put your hair in the middle, slide it to the end, roll it under or over, then snap the metal parts (inside the material) and it puts it in a neat bun. You can make all kinds of pretty buns - AND they're extremely secure AND they're easy to use AND the kitties won't destroy them! (And I have some that I keep hoping will magically work that never do...)

Yeah, PM me...
    Lady Nox of the Spiraling Heavens in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    LHC: the few....the proud....the vaguely creepy
    my hair photos

Length
    16"/36"/50"+
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

I havent tried the first one

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Magic-Bun-Hai...item45f8209af9

But I do have some of these

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/10Spiral-Spin...item5aded6df68

( I cant remember if I have bought from these particular sellers, just random ebay listings to show what I meant)

If you do play on ebay, this http://toolhaus.org/ is an invaluable site for me, copy and paste the sellers id, and all the negative and neutral feedback will show up - I have changed my mind on purchasing from a couple of sellers through this
    If you can't stand the heat, don't tickle the dragon

Type
    3a/M/ii

I third the Flexis. I wear them all the time. Also, being a curlywurly, I suggest braided buns or other braided updos. I washed yesterday, then went to work with my hair down and some Flexis in my pockets, then braided my hair during a break and secured the ends with the tiny Flexis. I slept with the braids in a Buff and am going to make some updo with them.
    Pyerre Mehendi Mage in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    My name is Indigo Montoya. You terped my henna. Prepare to dye!
    Pic by Renarok

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Back when I was an active child, growing my hair, my mom kept it in high pigtails *every single day*, for school. The pigtails didn't move throughout the whole entire day, they were that tight, and it was necessary (think of gym!). There was the odd occasion when she would do a high bun (classical ballet bun, yes with hairnet and all) or a high braided bun (trust me: not good for gym, think of forward rolls). My hair ended up being classic length and it never stopped me from doing things. Pigtails were just *the* easiest style. Hairsticks would've been terrible for all sorts of reasons, most of all safety. Also, going to school, you really don't want to use the fancy stuff (it either gets stolen or lost), and be aware that there's school activities like gym. It has to be practical at that age, first and foremost. I'd leave the fancy stuff (toys and styles) for the weekends. Starting by teaching her to do her pigtails herself, so she can rearrange them after gym class is priceless.

Apart from that, she could wear any style that's mentioned on these boards.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Chin/???/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

I would go with the flexi8 or little claw clips for an active little girl. If her Daddy can braid the hair before it goes up, it would give some extra-security to the updo (or at least give the clippies something substantial to clip). My DD's hair is slippery, and slides out of every type of barrette/clip/ponytail I have found...unless I braid it first.
    "There is not enough darkness in the world to extinguish the light of one small candle." - Spanish Proverb
    Hip length to Pixie, now growing long again. Currently past SL, heading to APL.