Thread: Hairsticks in Holland, and in general

Length
    6/HL+/CL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Hairsticks in Holland, and in general

Hey all,

For a few years now I've been super excited about hairsticks thanks to LHC. They are enormously convenient, they look amazing, and they protect your hair from friction damage. But, if I had never joined here I would have never known, let alone recognize them. Because they don't sell them in my country! At least, I've only ever found a pair in a thrift shop that specialized in old hippie stuff, and they were hand made (beautiful btw, with rose quartz and amethysts on top<3).
    The other ones I have are either from etsy or bought in South East Asia on my travels.
    I hope I am wrong though! Are there shops in the Netherlands that do sell hairsticks? Do any of you Dutch folks here know about it? Or are you equally annoyed by the absence of hairsticks?

Tying in to that question: in general I am surprised that not everyone with hair from BSL+ in society at large knows about these, as they have been used for thousands of years! I saw ones that were over 2000 years old in a museum here among ancient Roman jewelry.
    How has everyone forgotten about one of the easiest and most practical of hair tools?
    Share your theories with me please <3
    Lady Bainwen, Scribe of Glorious Horizons in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Ear-Chin-Shoulder-APL-BSL->Waist-HL-BCL-TBL-Classic

Length
    CBL/Waist/Hip+
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Re: Hairsticks in Holland, and in general

I saw some at Bijoux Brigitte once and shops like Claire's but they where quite cheap and looked like they would snap very fast.

When I was in highschool some girls wore hairsticks but those where just (fancy) chopsticks from chinese restaurants/ take-out.

But you're right I don't really see them here. On the odd occasion I see people wear sticks those are either pencils or chopsticks.
    Current lenght: 83cm/ almost 33" ~ may 19 2018 ~ Made it to waistlength!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Of the Fae View Post
    I hope I am wrong though! Are there shops in the Netherlands that do sell hairsticks? Do any of you Dutch folks here know about it? Or are you equally annoyed by the absence of hairsticks?
    Same thing in Belgium. You can't find these anywhere, maybe at Claire's if you have that store? I got my first pair there. They are brown with silver decorations. Gorgeous, and they do work, even though they are plastic.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

[Judging you in Spanish] Milady_DeWinter's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/CL/FTL
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

Neither in Spain. It simply do not exist... I just saw some in a Natura store, and they were basically chopsticks. I think I have never ever seen them in the streets... or anywhere. My mother is still in awe with mine lol, it would have been very useful for her tailbone lenght hair when she was young!

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I've never seen them in the UK either. Apparently some shops like Claire's sold basic ones for a while, but that was before I learned about hairsticks and I haven't seen them at all. I know there are a couple of UK Etsy ships that do sticks (one does forks as well) but other than that ...

I am surprised, like you, that hairsticks are almost an ancient secret around here - and I've seen MANY middle-eastern and asian women in traditional attire with long hair over the years, but not one using any kind of hair-friendly tool like a stick or fork. (I would have remembered if I had, because it's the sort of unusual thing that would have stuck in my mind and made me curious; perhaps if I had ever seen a hairstick in real life I might have learned about them sooner!)
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    bsl/CL/ftl
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Same thing in Belgium. You can't find these anywhere, maybe at Claire's if you have that store? I got my first pair there. They are brown with silver decorations. Gorgeous, and they do work, even though they are plastic.
    These were my first sticks too! Couldn't beat the 5 dollar price for them. One did end up breaking from dropping it on the ground but the crack was so straight I was able to glue it back together.

That is the only place I saw them here in the States ( Pennsylvania to be exact). My partner did end up finding me a few at a local craft market. But no other place carries them regularly with a wide variety.
    ​You Zarkin Frood

Type
    1a/F/ii

Check your knitting stores -- one of our shops has gorgeous wooden sabres they sell as shawl pins. We also have a Japanese imports & grocery that sometimes has lacquered kanzashi, and always really beautiful and unique sturdy chopsticks. It's fun to find things near home you don't have to pay shipping on