Thread: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Length
    20"/28.5"/CL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Wurly and Curly thread!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrox View Post
    Welcome calmyogi, love your username!

There is a technique where you use clips to lift the hair on either side of your part so that it has more lift at the roots. I think it really only works whilst drying the hair, I'm not sure it would work to bring curls back on already dry hair...

Could you try a looser updo, or one which does not involve twisting the hair, even a sock bun might allow you to let it down and still have some curl left to enjoy.

Ya I looked it up, and your right, that's not quite what I'm looking for. I think that my only option is to co wash at night abd go to bed while my hair is still wet and drape it over the pillow. It's just so cold in the winter time that I don't like doing this and I'm afraid to diffuse my hair because of the damage. I started co washing and like what it does for my hair, but my scalp gets greasy and itchy a lot sooner and I can't stretch my washes over more than once a day. Does anyone else have any luck with diffusing daily with none to very little damage?

Length
    20"/28.5"/CL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Sorry didn't mean to go all over the place with my questions lol. When my hair is already dry I can put it up in a top knot with my spin pins and there is some body left as long as I only comb my hair while I'm in the shower.

Multiple Accounts
    Length
    APL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Curlycap and Quixii, GORGEOUS. Love both your curls!

Length
    chin/apl/waist
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by calmyogi View Post
    Ya I looked it up, and your right, that's not quite what I'm looking for. I think that my only option is to co wash at night abd go to bed while my hair is still wet and drape it over the pillow. It's just so cold in the winter time that I don't like doing this and I'm afraid to diffuse my hair because of the damage. I started co washing and like what it does for my hair, but my scalp gets greasy and itchy a lot sooner and I can't stretch my washes over more than once a day. Does anyone else have any luck with diffusing daily with none to very little damage?

I think the general consensus is that diffusing with cool air is not damaging, but everyday might be a bit too often. Maybe you could try alternating washing methods to stretch a little more during winter. Using a low-poo or just diluted shampoo could also help you stretch washes without being too drying. Washing and drying everyday will subject the hair to mechanical damage, even if there is no heat in the drying.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by calmyogi View Post
    Does anyone else have any luck with diffusing daily with none to very little damage?
    My hair is diffused on warm weekly. But first it sits in a turbie (microfiber) for 15 to 20 min. and then it's airdried for an hour an hour and a half before it gets diffused. The diffusing then only takes about 5 min. So minimal exposure. I don't think it's damaging at all, esp. if you do this on cool, and you can even go warm (as long as you can hold your hand into the airstream for a long time without it burning, you should be fine).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Who let the owls out... Hootenanny's Avatar
    Length
    Pixie/Waist/TB
    Type
    3b/M/ii/iii

Calmyogi, what products are you using? If I don't use a significant amount of gel, my hair can lose curl definition quickly. Also, the LOC method, linked in Lapushka's signature, is also a great way to encourage your curls to stay curly. And finally, if it's only your crown that goes straight, you can just spritz that part of your hair with some water in a spray bottle (rather than wetting your whole head), and it should bounce back.
    Pixie (7/2011) - APL (7/2013) - BSL (4/2014) - Waist when curly (2/2015) - Hip - TBL - ?

Omg those long curlies!!

Ok i have a question, how can you handle that long curly hair without spending lots of time in detangling? I had long hair for a long time but it would drive me nuts to spend 45 minutes every day detangling and making it presentable. Is it silk bonets? Is it prewashing oil?

Length
    Pixie/BCL/?!
    Type
    3b/3c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by butter52 View Post
    Omg those long curlies!!

Ok i have a question, how can you handle that long curly hair without spending lots of time in detangling? I had long hair for a long time but it would drive me nuts to spend 45 minutes every day detangling and making it presentable. Is it silk bonets? Is it prewashing oil?
    I almost never detangle, only in the shower when my hair is soaking wet and covered with conditioner.

If you learn to set your curls well and wear mostly fun updos, then they curls don't tangle and it actually isn't much work when you detangle every 3-4 days. It takes me longer to apply my setting products and to encourage drying than it ever takes me to detangle.
    Grew out the pixie.
    Acquired a mane.
    Cruising toward Classic.

**For my routine, please see my blog posts.**

Length
    SL/Hip/TERM
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    My hair is diffused on warm weekly. But first it sits in a turbie (microfiber) for 15 to 20 min. and then it's airdried for an hour an hour and a half before it gets diffused. The diffusing then only takes about 5 min. So minimal exposure. I don't think it's damaging at all, esp. if you do this on cool, and you can even go warm (as long as you can hold your hand into the airstream for a long time without it burning, you should be fine).
    Calmyogi
    This calms my concerns about diffusing as well. I've never gotten damage from diffusing. I always scrunch or plop well with a t-shirt first, getting most of the water out. Then I diffuse on warm and low speed. It doesn't burn my hand, so that's my safety check too. I also continuously move my dryer around my head the whole time so it doesn't sit at one spot for too long. I've tried quitting the diffuser a couple of times without long term success. I'm not sure if this makes sense, but my hair seems to get damage from staying damp for too long and it needs to dry ASAP. Diffusing it, for me, is a safer option. I think it may have to do with my porosity. But I'm learning to just do what works for me, even if it goes against the grain a little bit. I read this article yesterday, and found it to be true for me. I say, if air drying works for you, do it! But if not, don't be afraid to diffuse.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlre...my-curly-hair/
    Last edited by CoveredByLove; October 31st, 2014 at 08:39 PM.

Current ​Length Stretched: BSL
    Next goal: ​Waist

Thank you curly cap! I just read also your blog.

I think my problem when i had long hair is i washed it too much, tied it up too much, and brushed it to detangle. Hope this time if it ever gets long i can enjoy it better and have it look better