Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me check the ingredients of this herbal dye

Length
    Chin/MBL/WL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Default Help me check the ingredients of this herbal dye

I came across this ready-to-use "henna cream" and since I know nothing about herbal dyes, I thought maybe you guys could help me out and review the ingredients:
    Aqua, Lawsonia Inermis powder, Indigofera Tinctoria powder, Arctium Lappa Root Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis Oil, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Triticum Vulgare Oil, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Xanthan Gum, Panthenol, Lactic Acid, Benzoic Acid, Sorbic Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid, Benzyl Alcohol, HC Red 3, HC Yellow 2, HC Blue 2.

Does this look damaging or not? How well this type of dye should take? Should I use this as an alternative to chemical dyes? I am curious yet scared to use it.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Help me check the ingredients of this herbal dye

Quote Originally Posted by tigress86 View Post
    I came across this ready-to-use "henna cream" and since I know nothing about herbal dyes, I thought maybe you guys could help me out and review the ingredients:
    Aqua, Lawsonia Inermis powder, Indigofera Tinctoria powder, Arctium Lappa Root Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis Oil, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Triticum Vulgare Oil, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Xanthan Gum, Panthenol, Lactic Acid, Benzoic Acid, Sorbic Acid, Dehydroacetic Acid, Benzyl Alcohol, HC Red 3, HC Yellow 2, HC Blue 2.

Does this look damaging or not? How well this type of dye should take? Should I use this as an alternative to chemical dyes? I am curious yet scared to use it.
    There's water in it, henna powder, there's indigo in it, ..?.., sweet almond oil, ginseng root extract, wheat germ oil, and then some ingredients you are likely to find in conditioner as well.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Chin/MBL/WL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    There's water in it, henna powder, there's indigo in it, ..?.., sweet almond oil, ginseng root extract, wheat germ oil, and then some ingredients you are likely to find in conditioner as well.
    So it doesn't look bad - drying, damaging or otherwise crappy? Compared to pure henna it probably is, but compared to chemical dyes with peroxide, this should be good for the hair, am I right?

Length
    Pixie/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Just keep in mind, indigo has a tendency of turning green if you ever try to bleach or process over it.

But otherwise, no. It looks perfectly fine to me
    Pixie-Bob-Shoulder-CBL-APL-BSL-WL-HL-BCL-TBL 2019!

Lady Hester, Healer of the Platte and Plains in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

It looks ok if you want to use henna and indigo, and accept the likelihood that it will be permanent. Nothing in there is likely to be damaging when you put it on, though maybe if you try to get it off.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Nope, no bad stuff at all. Just, as the others have pointed out here, there is indigo in it. You can never bleach that color out - ever! You'll have to grow it out. At least when you only use henna powder you have the option of possibly bleaching some of it out - at least enough to put a different color over it.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Chin/MBL/WL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Thank you all for your replies. I am aware that this cannot be bleached out. I will think about it and perhaps test it on shed hair first.

Definitely test it first to see if you like the colour on your hair. I'm not sure about this dye but henna can have unexpected results and the colour varies a lot from person to person.

Length
    SL/Hip/CL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

I used a premixed cream henna from Surya and I can tell you it washed out in a few days. I then used another brand (forget the name) and it washed out too.
    If you are looking for an easier henna process try Nupur henna. I used Ancient Sunrise for over 10 yrs and I'm loving Nupur. It's not as much of a rose color, it is more auburn but it's easier. Less dye release time and I can leave it on for an hour with very good results. I've mixed it with lemon and coconut milk/cream with great results. Even covers white hair. You can use just water.
    Last edited by Lavendersugar; March 9th, 2016 at 09:27 AM.
    Started growing 10/2014 {SL* APL * BSL * MBL * WL * Hip * TB *Classic}

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Tigress86, can I ask what brand is that "henna cream"? I know there are several called that, though they're mostly just like any other deposit-only dyes, so gentle to your hair As long as it doesn't contain PPD, as this one doesn't (many do), it's fine. (And even if it does, it's still gentler to hair than peroxide dye.)