Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally, acknowledgment that long hair is for anyone, by vogue no less.

Default Finally, acknowledgment that long hair is for anyone, by vogue no less.

https://www.vogue.co.uk/beauty/artic...HoKhIzs-Jt-ozc

I’m so sick of the articles that say “you should have short hair over 40”, and the commenters saying how longer hair makes you look older. Mind your business ladies, I’ll wear my hair as I like, and that is not in a helmet head, copy cat, old lady layered do,

Length
    BSL/HL/SDL
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Default Re: Finally, acknowledgment that long hair is for anyone, by vogue no less.

I read the article, but got kinda triggered when the journalist called Helen Mirren's hair waist-length, and when I went excitedly to look for pictures it's actually only APL or maybe BSL at most
    I mean I fully agree with the point of the article, older ladies can wear long hair, but just got irrationally mad at the misinformation

Length
    Short/Waist/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Finally, acknowledgment that long hair is for anyone, by vogue no less.

Quote Originally Posted by sarana View Post
    I read the article, but got kinda triggered when the journalist called Helen Mirren's hair waist-length, and when I went excitedly to look for pictures it's actually only APL or maybe BSL at most
    I mean I fully agree with the point of the article, older ladies can wear long hair, but just got irrationally mad at the misinformation
    I found some images from the Cannes film festival where she has waist length hair extensions, and one article called it “super long”. I’m dead over here. Lol

I don't understand how long hair allegedly makes you look younger when you're young, but older when you're older... something doesn't jive, here.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

It's nice to get big media "approval" (how I dislike the word here) but I will do as I please. Fashion and what's "in style" be damned. My mom is the very same. Now with her broken foot, when my mom has to put up her hair in the morning, my dad goes, "why not get it short", and then my mom just goes off on him saying she's no "old lady". She's 77.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    0.5"/27"/???
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

And then it tells you to trim every 4-6 weeks! Silly mainstream articles .

I like the premise a lot, just having articles like this can be helpful to a lot of people who do take note of fashion "rules". Long hair by our definition vs by media's definition is still a wide gap though, BSL isn't particularly "long" or "witchy" by any means. More articles that say "to hell with it, we should do what we want at any age" are always a good thing.
    Last trim 20th Jun 2023.
    Buzz-SL[17"]-APL[20"]- BSL[25"]-WL[28"]-HL[31"]-TBL[34"]-CL[38"]
    Buzz 2018- 35"/TBL 2023

Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Thank you for the article.
    But like many would agree, I do not need Vogue´s permission to keep my hair long (when I get to be that age).
    But next week they will be promoting bobs, lobs, dyes and perms (or something else) for the same age group.
    But they literally say in the end, that long hair on men over 50 should be outlawed, with the exception of Iggy Pop. Honestly?!
    But they say that hair will not ever grow without trimming and the only way hair grows is with 4-6 weeks trims. Really?!
    I mean, I don´t take the article seriously and if it helps someone feel good about their hair, great. But I don´t like the fact that media feel they have the right to influence people´s thinking.
    Last edited by Nefcerka; April 2nd, 2023 at 01:09 AM. Reason: misspelled than - corrected to" that"

Length
    22/22/26
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Helen Mirren looks beautiful.

Length
    Short/Waist/Term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Nefcerka View Post
    But like many would agree, I do not need Vogue´s permission to keep my hair long (when I get to be that age).
    But next week they will be promoting bobs, lobs, dyes and perms (or something else) for the same age group.
    But they literally say in the end, that long hair on men over 50 should be outlawed, with the exception of Iggy Pop. Honestly?!
    But they say that hair will not ever grow without trimming and the only way hair grows is with 4-6 weeks trims. Really?!
    I mean, I don´t take the article seriously and if it helps someone feel good about their hair, great. But I don´t like the fact that media feel they have the right to influence people´s thinking.
    I missed that last paragraph. But the sentiment that us guys can’t have long hair is everywhere

My favorite hit piece against men with long hair is this drivel from The Guardian

https://amp.theguardian.com/fashion/...ong-haired-men

I just let it roll off my back

Length
    CBL/WL/FTL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nefcerka View Post
    This sums up my thoughts perfectly. It would be nice if mainstream media would ease up on the idea that women over a certain age can't have long hair, but growing hair out long is a slow process and the trends will come and go faster than hair grows. Your last sentence in particular, is exactly how I feel about this stuff in general.

Quote Originally Posted by LongLocke View Post
    I missed that last paragraph. But the sentiment that us guys can’t have long hair is everywhere

My favorite hit piece against men with long hair is this drivel from The Guardian

https://amp.theguardian.com/fashion/...ong-haired-men

I just let it roll off my back
    Ah, I'd like to see someone come into the Scandinavian metal subculture and tell the guys there that long hair is not for men. They would be laughed out of the room before they could finish their sentence.

It's ridiculous to set such standards - trends come and go anyway. When my parents met, my dad had a full on 80s mullet, and my mum thought it was the best thing ever. Then came a long period of mullets being totally out of style, and now they're back again. Trends can be fun for those into that stuff, and I can agree to some extent that some general shapes fit some people better than others, but overall, what matters is that each person is happy with their hair, regardless of whether it fits some arbitrary trend or societal standard.
    CBL - APL - MBL - WL - HL - BCL - TBL - CL - FTL
    They don't know I used to sail the deep and tranquil sea