Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hard water help?

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Hard water help?

I am buying a handset that has filtering granules inside. The filters also reduce water consumption. The handset lasts for about 3 months. It all depends on the hardness of the water. I think it's a nice solution because you can take it on a trip. I did that when I stayed in hotels.

Length
    MBL/WL+/TBL+
    Type
    3b/M/C/iii

I have hard and alkaline water (135 ppm total hardness, pH 8 ) but it doesn't contain chlorine and heavy metals, so it isn't too bad for my hair. I chelate now and then with Ion Hard Water and do pre-poo treatments before every wash.

Are you allowed to install Showersticks? I understood it's easier to install that than a whole softening system, but not sure how that works for rentals.

Length
    APL/HL/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

I am in the same boat ): renting.. Hard water is the worst.. But I dont think its horrible where I live because my hair seems in decent good shape. Ive never been somewhere where they had (not hard) water? Lol. So I dont know how my hair would act.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Scream-Queen View Post
    I am in the same boat ): renting.. Hard water is the worst.. But I dont think its horrible where I live because my hair seems in decent good shape. Ive never been somewhere where they had (not hard) water? Lol. So I dont know how my hair would act.
    We have had hard water all my life here. I may be an exception here on this forum, but I never have had issues. Just need to use a lot of product, that's all. You learn after years and years. Same with the washing machine. It even states on the labels for the detergent, use more product for hard water. Gotta do what you gotta do.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    APL/HL/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    We have had hard water all my life here. I may be an exception here on this forum, but I never have had issues. Just need to use a lot of product, that's all. You learn after years and years. Same with the washing machine. It even states on the labels for the detergent, use more product for hard water. Gotta do what you gotta do.
    I'm glad to hear hard water doesnt wreck with your hair and skin! I'm very curious how my hair will act if I used a filter? But on the other hand why change something thats working . if my hair is healthy and growing thats all that matters
    Oh and the washing machine... Love hate relationship haha

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Fimu View Post
    I have hard and alkaline water (135 ppm total hardness, pH 8 ) but it doesn't contain chlorine and heavy metals, so it isn't too bad for my hair. I chelate now and then with Ion Hard Water and do pre-poo treatments before every wash.

Are you allowed to install Showersticks? I understood it's easier to install that than a whole softening system, but not sure how that works for rentals.
    Was that a question for me? Sorry, now I notice. I have a bathtub, so I can't mount something like that. There is not enough space. I am buying something like in the link:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Modes-Bat...-/383578605140
    WL - HL - TBL - CL - FTL

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Scream-Queen View Post
    I think it probably depends a lot on *how* hard it is. For instance, where I live the water is between 400-500 ppm, and at my parents' house it's 600 ppm. My hair and skin feel AWFUL if I shower when the water softener is running low. On the other hand, water in the 100-200 ppm range is also considered hard, but it might not have the same effect because it's got less than half the dissolved solids compared to my water.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by florenonite View Post
    I think it probably depends a lot on *how* hard it is. For instance, where I live the water is between 400-500 ppm, and at my parents' house it's 600 ppm. My hair and skin feel AWFUL if I shower when the water softener is running low. On the other hand, water in the 100-200 ppm range is also considered hard, but it might not have the same effect because it's got less than half the dissolved solids compared to my water.
    It also depends on pH and other water quality factors. pH in particular because the higher the pH, the more the hard water ions interact with the hair; but also what else is in the water, not just calcium carbonate and magnesium.

Edit: but yes, actual hardness does make a difference. Once it reaches 'very hard' on the scale that only tells you the minimum hardness, not how hard is *actually* is (a bit like iii hair could be 4" or 6"+, which is a huge difference).

We have what's classed here as very hard water (~330ppm) but the pH is always around 7 and there's no appreciable iron or copper or anything else really in it, whereas I hear of awful water elsewhere in the world - alkaline, orange, tastes of nails, etc.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    It also depends on pH and other water quality factors. pH in particular because the higher the pH, the more the hard water ions interact with the hair; but also what else is in the water, not just calcium carbonate and magnesium.

Edit: but yes, actual hardness does make a difference. Once it reaches 'very hard' on the scale that only tells you the minimum hardness, not how hard is *actually* is (a bit like iii hair could be 4" or 6"+, which is a huge difference).

We have what's classed here as very hard water (~330ppm) but the pH is always around 7 and there's no appreciable iron or copper or anything else really in it, whereas I hear of awful water elsewhere in the world - alkaline, orange, tastes of nails, etc.
    Oh, yes, that's a good point about pH. I have no idea what my water pH is, but if it's alkaline then it seems the water softener helps with that as the unsoftened water is definitely worse.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I seem to have gotten into this discussion before. But what to us here (in Belgium) is hard water might not be that in other locations of the world. Let me see what we have here... gotta go check with the water co. It's:

Duitse graden (German degrees): 9,0
    Franse graden (French degrees): 16,1
    Mmol/l: 1,61

And that is the measurement in my street.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)