Thread: Hair bun with a tail

Length
    thigh/mbl/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Default Hair bun with a tail

Hello!

I'm wondering if a hair bun with a tail hanging down has a particular name? I've been inspired by viking hairdo's lately, Renbirde posted a question on knotted ponytails some years ago. Her inspirations are depictions of viking hairdos that look a lot like this, the whole article on viking hair is on the Viking Answer Lady Webpage. Personally, I'm having problems getting the knotted ponytail to stay up, so I thought I'd do a regular cinnabun or sock bun, leave some hair at the nape of my neck, and English braid it down my back. It looks pretty nice, and is really easy to do, so I figure there must be a name for it, but apparently my searching skills are lacking because I can't find a thing except "sailor moon buns", which isn't really the look I'm going for!
    2008: 24cm/10" 2015: 41cm/16" 2022: 120cm/48" // 2022: 52cm/21"
    instagram

Type
    2b/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Hair bun with a tail

A pha bun might be what you are looking for.
    Maintaining at classic in 2017

Length
    MBL/Waist/Thigh
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I've done a flipped bun (basically a flipped cinnabun) with a hanging tail before. Also a peacock twist...I tend to have a really long tail because of my length.

Length
    24/47"/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I would probably call it a comet bun, but I don't know if that is a specific bun with the tail or just any bun with a tail.

Length
    thigh/mbl/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by enting View Post
    I would probably call it a comet bun, but I don't know if that is a specific bun with the tail or just any bun with a tail.
    Oooh comet bun! I've never heard of that before but when I googled I found some really nice variations! I really liked this one by happyhairdays. Thank you!
    2008: 24cm/10" 2015: 41cm/16" 2022: 120cm/48" // 2022: 52cm/21"
    instagram

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Isn't that a simple knot bun, where you start to form a Nautilus, but pull the hair through to a knot to shorten your ponytail. I've heard it being called that before!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    24/47"/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Siv I'm glad you found variations you like!

The tutorial above says it's a knot bun with the tail pulled through rather than finishing the bun, but it sounds like it's all the same principle. I think it may have even been a hairstyle of the month, maybe we should head over there and see if anyone mentioned if it's limited to one type of starting bun or if all pulled through tails count. (I'm probably still going to call all bun-with-a-tail updos a comet bun either way :P)

ETA: I just checked and it is *not* on the hairstyle of the month listings, so much for that!

ETA2: There is this, though. The lazy wrap ponytail: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=129368
    Last edited by enting; August 2nd, 2017 at 06:20 AM.

Length
    waist/TB/long

Any bun can be made this way by just leaving the ends hanging out after attaching the rest of the bun in place.