Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I am NEVER going to the hairdresser again - how can I trim my own hair? Tips?

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Angry I am NEVER going to the hairdresser again - how can I trim my own hair? Tips?

What's wrong with hair dressers, seriously?! I hadent cut my hair for 2 years adn then went in for a TRIM 4 months ago. Was bullied and told my hair looked like crap (I don't CARE what you think my hair looks like, it sits on ME, all I care is what I think about it - didn't ask for YOUR opinion) and she cut off 15 cm even though I explicitly TOLD her 3 cm and no more! I went in today at another salon, told them, THREE CENTIMETERS no matter what your personal preference is and they took 10-15 cm ...

So I've lost 25-30 cm in less than six months! I am NEVER going back to a hair dresser EVER again! Out of all the times I've been, I've NEVER been happy!

The problem is my ens split like never before, so I really need to learn how to trim it on my own without it getting uneven. PLEASE guys, do you have ANY tips for me? When I do S&D I only make it worse (I think my scissors are blunt and ever since I started doing SD I've gotten MORE split ends) so first I need to buy a real hair dresser's scissors, but then what? My hair gets all uneven when I do SD and I don't know how to cut it myself.

Any tips?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: I am NEVER going to the hairdresser again - how can I trim my own hair? Tips?

Quote Originally Posted by noahnoah View Post
    What's wrong with hair dressers, seriously?! I hadent cut my hair for 2 years adn then went in for a TRIM 4 months ago. Was bullied and told my hair looked like crap (I don't CARE what you think my hair looks like, it sits on ME, all I care is what I think about it - didn't ask for YOUR opinion) and she cut off 15 cm even though I explicitly TOLD her 3 cm and no more! I went in today at another salon, told them, THREE CENTIMETERS no matter what your personal preference is and they took 10-15 cm ...

So I've lost 25-30 cm in less than six months! I am NEVER going back to a hair dresser EVER again! Out of all the times I've been, I've NEVER been happy!

The problem is my ens split like never before, so I really need to learn how to trim it on my own without it getting uneven. PLEASE guys, do you have ANY tips for me? When I do S&D I only make it worse (I think my scissors are blunt and ever since I started doing SD I've gotten MORE split ends) so first I need to buy a real hair dresser's scissors, but then what? My hair gets all uneven when I do SD and I don't know how to cut it myself.

Any tips?
    If you look around this forum for a while, you'll notice we have techniques for blunt cuts (blunt, U, V shape) called Feye's self-trimming method. If you Google it, you can't miss it.

There's also the compact cutting technique for layers, that I would not recommend for hair shorter than BSL (your layers will be far too short, especially with curly hair).

Good luck!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: I am NEVER going to the hairdresser again - how can I trim my own hair? Tips?

The easiest way to get even results is to part your hair how you would usually part it in the front, and straight down the middle in the back. Bring each side in front of the shoulder. Make sure that the sides flow forward smoothly in front of your ears and that you don't have bumps, then join them into a ponytail right in front of your neck. Then comb the ponytail straight down and cut off however much you want to trim. I used to close a book over my ponytail to be sure I had a straight edge. It gives a slight U shape.

Length
    Chin/Waist/Butt
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

I use Feye's self trimming method for a blunt straight hem, and I trim my wispy-blunt fringe every couple of weeks.

|| 6 monthly trims since July 2015 || Finger combing since March 2017 || Combating
    thin fine hair & excessive shedding || Goal: buttcrack with blunt hem ||

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    The easiest way to get even results is to part your hair how you would usually part it in the front, and straight down the middle in the back. Bring each side in front of the shoulder. Make sure that the sides flow forward smoothly in front of your ears and that you don't have bumps, then join them into a ponytail right in front of your neck. Then comb the ponytail straight down and cut off however much you want to trim. I used to close a book over my ponytail to be sure I had a straight edge. It gives a slight U shape.
    I need to flatten my hair (I've wavy) before cutting, right? Or should I cut/trim it wet? Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    If you look around this forum for a while, you'll notice we have techniques for blunt cuts (blunt, U, V shape) called Feye's self-trimming method. If you Google it, you can't miss it. There's also the compact cutting technique for layers, that I would not recommend for hair shorter than BSL (your layers will be far too short, especially with curly hair).
    THANKS! Until today my hair was cut in layers, but today they did a blunt cut on me. Feye's self-trimming method - I will definitely look into that! I now have elbow-lenght and I don't think I'd even dare to cut layers! I'd end up looking like a mess. My hair-cutting knowledge is absolute nil. I assume blunt cuts are easier? What do you think?

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I would not recommend for hair shorter than BSL (your layers will be far too short, especially with curly hair).
    OMG! I felt my hair now and it seems they cut it soo much that it's only down to the bra strap now!!!! That's two years of saving my hair down the drain!!! Unbelieveably, I just want to cry! I went from hip to BSL in two cuts. This is ridiculous

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Yes well sorry for asking but, after going to the hairdresser once and having a tragic result... why on earth would you go back to one. I mean they can't glue it back on, so you must have known beforehand that they would cut even more... Honestly sometimes your brain just gets frazzled after events like this. I know, BTDT! I'm so sorry. But OTOH it is still BSL and that is a good length to start from. Some people on here start from buzz cuts or pixies so it's not *that* bad. Not trying to make it worse, just trying to make you see there are worse things out there!!!
    Last edited by lapushka; April 26th, 2017 at 08:16 AM.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Because I need to have my ends trimmed. Every time I go to the hair dresser they bully me (literally, bully) and say I need to go every three months (yeah, aint gonna happen!). I went last time 6 months ago, so it's not like I went back the day after to have it glued back on

Had a LONG discussion beforehand and I explicitly told them that last time I went (to a completely different salon) they cut off 1 year worth of lenght and that I don't want that to happen again. 3 cm - that's it, no more. But they took out the razor and off it went I don't think I could've been MORE clear, obviously I could've brought a contract and demanded them to sign it, haha I don't get why hairdressers dislike long hair. Why do they always cut off SO much? Is there a specific reason for it?

I too started off short - I liked the bob and would've kept it if I hadn't looked like a broomstick in it I just hate the waiting process, I either want a super short bob or LONG hair ... The "in-between" hair is just bland and boring.

I have silica supplements, do you think that'll help grow out the hair stronger (my hair is acting weird after I got SD, it splits and is super frail/frizzled/limp/stiff/matte/tangled)? I've been googling now for three hours, trying to do everythign I can do keep what I've got left healthy.

has notorious buns Wildcat Diva's Avatar
    some kind of hunting lodge for rich weirdos
    Length
    16/35/real
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

About the flattening before cutting question... you could moderately oil it.

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat Diva View Post
    About the flattening before cutting question... you could moderately oil it.
    This may be a weird(?) question, but does it make sense to blow-dry already dry hair to make it straight, spray it and then cut?