Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fine/thin hair and bangs/fringe

Length
    chin/SL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Default Fine/thin hair and bangs/fringe

I so want to cut a fringe or bangs, but my stylist is very hesitant to do so on my thin hair at this length(BSL-MBL) longest length. My former bangs that I used to have are past my shoulders and heading for apl. Soon my hair will be close to all one length. My ponytail is a bit thicker ,now, but I just feel like I look so much better with bangs/fringe. If my hair was any thicker it would be a done deal.
    My stylist says my hair is too thin at this length to support bangs, as they take too much hair from the top of the head,( my hair is very thin in front) and the rest of the long hair would look too thin. I also read an article on line(7 things I wish I knew before I cut my fine/thin hair)
    where celebrity Rogaine stylist also advises against bangs for thin hair.
    I love blunt, full bangs, but those are out for me unless I want to lose half my circumference.
    I've had wispy bangs but those a pain in the you know what with fine hair. Better not to have them
    Oh well.
    Any of you fine thin hairs have a fringe/bangs? Or do you find you are better without them?
    Last edited by Babyfine; February 24th, 2017 at 04:42 PM.
    Trying to grow my babyfine hair long/working on going natural

Type
    1b/F/i

Default Re: Fine/thin hair and bangs/fringe

I do. I wish that they were thicker but nothing is thick about my hair. My hair is super thin and very close in color to my skin. Without bangs I'm pretty sure I'd look bald.
    Time is the fire in which we burn...Delmore Schwartz
    Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light...Dylan Thomas

Length
    19/19/32
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/i/ii

I have fine hair as well, as well as bangs. I wish they were thicker, but I look better with thin bangs than with no bangs.

Is side swept bangs an option? That doesn't require much hair. I have semi-long side swept bangs and I use very little hair for it and it looks good. The hair is taken only from a small triangle in the front, and doesn't reduce my overall thickness much at all.

I think full bangs would take too much of your thickness, but I could be wrong. It took too much from me when I had it, and I have on the thinner side of normal thickness (but 1a, so no volume at all).
    Hair thickness:6.2 cm (2.4'') Longest: TBL + Current length: APL (maintaining) Goal length: Waist

I have very fine thin hair and I've also had bangs before. I was really into that heavy straight bang 60's mod look. Once again another look that's great if you have enough hair. I tried to emulate that look and really just ended up with a shorter looking crown/canopy because I had to take so much hair from behind. I had to really comb it all forward to even get a blunt bang. I think it comes down to what you want and you say you've had bangs before too, so you know what it's like. Can you risk losing length a fullness from the top? I think that's the main question. Personally for me I would not want to lose more hair just to have fuller bangs. Bangs do look great on a lot of people though.

Length
    Chin/36.5"/TBL+?
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

I have thin, fine hair and I've worn bangs (off and on for decades) but consistently now for years. I've grown them out a little, years ago, but cut them back in because I like how they look. My face is long, and at my age bangs are cheaper and more natural than Botox
    <- Me, bellydancing in HAIR ~

Length
    Chin/Waist/Butt
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Delurking to say that I tried a few times to go fringe-less, so as to add to my pathetic 2.25" ponytail, but decided I hate my exposed big forehead and high hairline, and have sacrificed the necessary hair in order to have a semi-wispy semi-blunt fringe. Ignore what your stylist says, and decide yourself what you would prefer - more length, or fringe. Hell, I would even advocate not to go to a stylist - I cut my own fringe, there are lots of youtube videos with advice on how to do this. That way, you can precisely decide just how much hair thickness you're willing to give up.

Good luck!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    SL/BSL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/F/i

I love a blunt fringe but I'd never have one because my hair is thin enough already. I think blunt fringes look great with thick hair, but with thin hair not so much.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Babyfine View Post
    I so want to cut a fringe or bangs, but my stylist is very hesitant to do so on my thin hair at this length(BSL-MBL) longest length. My former bangs that I used to have are past my shoulders and heading for apl. Soon my hair will be close to all one length. My ponytail is a bit thicker ,now, but I just feel like I look so much better with bangs/fringe. If my hair was any thicker it would be a done deal.
    My stylist says my hair is too thin at this length to support bangs, as they take too much hair from the top of the head,( my hair is very thin in front) and the rest of the long hair would look too thin. I also read an article on line(7 things I wish I knew before I cut my fine/thin hair)
    where celebrity Rogaine stylist also advises against bangs for thin hair.
    I love blunt, full bangs, but those are out for me unless I want to lose half my circumference.
    I've had wispy bangs but those a pain in the you know what with fine hair. Better not to have them
    Oh well.
    Any of you fine thin hairs have a fringe/bangs? Or do you find you are better without them?
    My mom has about your circumference i/ii, now more on the i side, and the first thing she cut out where her bangs; best thing she ever did - for her. I'm not saying it would be the best for you, but you've held out on bangs for such a long time now.

Isn't this a recurring question BTW, haven't you asked this before? I seem to remember you asking this before? I could be wrong, though. No? When you were about to snip bangs? If so, then this is not very much an impulse thing but something you genuinely want.

You do have to compare your hair to someone else with the same "thickness" because looking at all those online images of people with thick hair and thick bangs is a *very* skewed image. I've seen this in my mom. And she had bangs up until about half her head/hairline.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

I think it depends how thin the hair is in the front, and the hair texture, not necessarily just the pony tail circumference. My hair has thinned in the front, and I'm growing my fringe out because the fringe exaggerates the hair loss. I'm at mouth level now, and I'm happier with it. I probably won't fully grow it out, just to a long side swept style. On me a curly, thin wispy fringe looks worse than anything. Even blow drying it straight doesn't really work; there's just not enough weight in it to stay straight.