Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coconut oil vs olive oil vs argan oil

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Coconut oil vs olive oil vs argan oil

Quote Originally Posted by kuroi View Post
    And it might have be handy to tell that in the beginning but I didn't think of it. The last 6 inches have still some dye damage (I used to dye it black with permanent dye and removed the last bit of dye after it faded and grown out mostly with the lowest % peroxide I could find to get it closer to my natural colour). I dip dye the bottom but manic panic is supposed to be hair friendly so I hope it doesn't do more damage as I like the colour. I use a hair dryer on warm (not hot) on my scalp in the winter but I guess that should be okay. I never used a flat iron or curling iron so it shouldn't be heat damage.

I will do a s&d session today and check this week if my amount of splits doesn't increase again.

Any other suggestions I can try?
    Can I ask why you want to avoid sulfates? Is it because your scalp can't tolerate them? Because once in a while a clarify with them is quite useful even and it works much better than anything else.

I would try silicone conditioners and a silicone serum esp. for the last few inches.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    31/37/36
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii/iii

Sulfates make my scalp itchy and triggers eczema on my hands and feet. Till I started avoiding sulfates nothing could really stop it including the cream the doctor prescribed although my exzema was never really severe mostly just annoying. It also never had exzema till I turned 20 so I was quite surprised to be diagnosed with it, I expected it to be a fungal infection actually. Long story short it isn't a huge problem to use sulfates sometimes but I rather not use it often.
    Maybe once every 2 or 3 months might be okay.
    If I would use silicone conditioner and/or serum wouldn't I need to clarify more often? I also read something about water soluble cones but I got no clue which ones those are and if they wouldn't cause buildup.
    starting point : Longest layer at 31" (hip) shortest layer 24" (apl+) goal 1 : longest layer at 36" (TBL) goal 2 : layer free hair at 36"
    Estimated time for goal 1, april 2017

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by kuroi View Post
    Sulfates make my scalp itchy and triggers eczema on my hands and feet. Till I started avoiding sulfates nothing could really stop it including the cream the doctor prescribed although my exzema was never really severe mostly just annoying. It also never had exzema till I turned 20 so I was quite surprised to be diagnosed with it, I expected it to be a fungal infection actually. Long story short it isn't a huge problem to use sulfates sometimes but I rather not use it often.
    Maybe once every 2 or 3 months might be okay.
    If I would use silicone conditioner and/or serum wouldn't I need to clarify more often? I also read something about water soluble cones but I got no clue which ones those are and if they wouldn't cause buildup.
    Oh, well that's a pretty good reason to try and avoid them then.

That depends on the silicone itself, whether or not it is water-soluble or not or a heavier silicone, right! You'd need to do some research or otherwise ask here. I'm sure people can help (I have no clue either, I use a serum and don't worry about it). If you use an oil instead of a serum - you'd need to clarify with oils and waxes as well.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    31/37/36
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii/iii

Thanks for your advice, I'll read about cones tomorrow. I never realized oils would also build up but I guess everything can build up then. I always thought warm water got rid of most of it and shampoo the rest. I still feel like a hair care newby but I learn something new every day here on tlhc
    starting point : Longest layer at 31" (hip) shortest layer 24" (apl+) goal 1 : longest layer at 36" (TBL) goal 2 : layer free hair at 36"
    Estimated time for goal 1, april 2017

Length
    SL/Hip/CL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

My advice would be if you need moisture try Aloe. An SMT might work well for you. Have you tried it?

I apply aloe on damp hair and air dry. It works well. I'm not using right from the plant. It's bottled aloe or spray aloe. I forget the brands.

Another option is almond or avocado oil. My hair loves those oils but it's not a big fan of coconut oil.
    Started growing 10/2014 {SL* APL * BSL * MBL * WL * Hip * TB *Classic}

The moisture/protein balance in check is important!
    http://www.xovain.com/hair/moisture-protein

For products, look for words like "nourishing" and "hydrating" and "moisturizing" in the names. If you need to amp up the moisture even more, hair masks ~1-2x per week, give or take.

Cone-free Conditioners List:
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ead.php?t=2216

List of water-insoluble, water-soluble 'cones:
    http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.co...lity-list.html

List of more gentle clarifying shampoos:
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlre...mpoos/#!slide5

IDK about serums b/c serums weigh down my hair. I currently use a mix of argan/camellia/jojoba for my ends.

Coconut oil is very light and penetrates the hair shaft the most, which is why it's such a popular pre-poo oil. It protects against protein loss while showering. Olive oil is said to also be penetrating, but it's noticeably heavier than coconut. Argan is a dry oil and imo, awesome for the ends. But if price is an issue, you should first check out cheaper oils like jojoba and/or camellia.

Experimentation is good since the effects vary so much across diff. hair textures. If your hair is easily weighed down, maybe try using oils before, rather than after, you shower.

Try to listen to your hair to see what it needs and what it likes, and how much it likes treatments. It takes time to arrive at a routine that works for your hair but it's worth it.
    Last edited by pahbee; June 25th, 2016 at 03:50 PM. Reason: ETA

anyone knowthat which country make Argan oil ?

Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I like the Viva Naturals Argan Oil from Amazon. 4 ounces, organic, and is from Morocco. Mine came with a dropper.

I will eat all your tofu maborosi's Avatar
    Length
    16"/38.5"/55"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

You know, I don't think I've ever tried argan oil, but I've found both straight coconut oil and Olive Oil both really mess with my hair. They make it tangly and difficult to work with.
    Now, something mixed with the coconut oil (a blend, or a cream, etc), and it does just fine. Otherwise I just won't touch pure CO.

kuroi, I am sorry to hear about your issues with the oils that you've tried. I don't know the brands of these oils, so I can't personally speak on my actual experience with any of the brands of pure hair oils that you've tried. However, never give up hope in finding a brand of pure oil or oils that may work much better for you, okay.

When it comes to certified organic Argan oil, or Argan oil period, it is an oil that all of a sudden hit a huge boom in the U.S. market, but this is an ingredient that has been around for a very long time. It is an oil that many people have bn using on their hair for countless numbers of years. So, even though it all of a sudden started to get more recognition all of a sudden due to a variety of sellers, especially Josie Maran, it's been around about just as long as so many other pure oils have been, such as coconut oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, sunflower oil, etc. Certified Argan Oil is actually sold in Walmart. It is by Hollywood Beauty (sold in ethnic hair care section) and Walmart also sells Argan Oil in their vitamin & supplements section as well. The cost for each bottle is under $10. I must honestly say, the prices that some suppliers charge for this oil is ridiculous. The 2 places where Argan trees grow, where it has been readily sold for years, the people there aren't paying such high prices for Argan Oil, like what a lot of suppliers in America are unfortunately charging people. Now, I have used Argan Oil on and off on my hair and scalp, from different brands and I didn't find that it worked any better for my hair than what olive oil does, it just has a more tolerable smell is all. I no longer use olive oil in its pure form because I saw no major benefits from using it, plus, I am not really fond of the pure smell of olive oil at all. I have also tried Marula Oil in its pure form, which is a great oil, it is not as heavy as such oils as coconut oil and olive oil (that I have found), and it is an oil that has been used in Africa for centuries (so it's nothing new either), as a multi-purpose oil, for use on both the hair and body. It is virtually scent less and it is reasonably priced. You can easily find 100% pure Marula Oil at Sally's Beauty Supply Store. Pure Grapeseed oil is a big favorite of mines. I only use Napa Valley Grapeseed Oil, as it is the highest quality grape seed oil that I have ever found. It is a fantastic hair oil, has a very slight scent to it, and can be ordered online or it has been seen in a variety of stores, however, there are no stores in my area that carry it, which is why, I order it from online. JBCO which is a very hyped up hair oil that I actually found out about through YouTube and decided to give it a try, and after using this oil on and off for a number of years, I finally had to stop with this stuff. I tried different brands of it as well. It's fairly thick, has a strong smell (which I put up with while using, but truly don't care for it much at all), and I found this oil to do nothing else for my hair and scalp but highly lubricate such, but not provide any substantial benefits to either my hair and scalp, no matter how much I wanted it to work. I have stopped using this stuff and never plan to go back to it again.

When it comes to pure coconut oil, I have used coconut oil on and off over a number of years on my hair and scalp, and I can say that all coconut oils definitely aren't created equal. However, the same can be said about other pure oils sold on the market as well. The odors of the different coconut oils that I have tried that are labeled as being unrefined, or certified organic coconut oil all differ in smells. Some have lighter scents, some have much stronger scents, and Parachute Coconut Oil (with nothing else added) has probably the strongest scent out of any coconut oil that I have ever smelled, plus, it has very noticeable smoky odor to it, which has to do with it being made from copra and all that it undergoes in order to produce the oil that is sold by Parachute. Which is why, I no longer plan to buy it anymore, due to the background research that I did towards this oil to find out exactly why it smells the way it does. Even though I will say that it works well performance wise, the highly roasted/type of smoky scent is just too much. I actually went back to one that is a huge favorite of mines and that is Nutiva Coconut Oil. Nutiva offers what I consider to be the best coconut oil out there. Lord knows, I should have stuck with it, but when you get into being a product junkie, you get extra curious and love trying out lots of things, out of major curious its. I am someone who has gone back and forth between non-refined and refined coconut oils, and I have never noticed any major difference in performance between such. I do suffer with severe scalp eczema, which I am trying to work to get under much better control at this time, plus, I also differ with seborrheic dermatitis as well. So, the skin on my body and scalp is super sensitive, and I happen to have very dry skin and my hair is naturally, very, very dry as well.

I don't use any stripping products on my hair, no sulfates, no clarifying shampoos, or anything that is harsh on my hair and scalp period. I use products that are vegan, cruelty free, and that are free of silicones, sulfates, mineral oil, artificial fragrance, dyes, and drying alcohols. I currently use a cleansing cream to wash my hair and scalp with, I follow this up a good deep conditioning with heat, and all of the stylers that I use are completely water soluble, and don't contribute to excess buildup or contribute to making my scalp go into a frenzy either.

All hair oils definitely aren't gathered, processed, and produced all the same. Which is why, sometimes it takes trying out different brands and seeing which brand of which oil happens to work the best for your individual hair. Because there are tons of suppliers of pure hair oils out there, but, you must remember that no two will ever be the same. So, this is why, results with using hair oils will definitely vary, and the same can definitely be said about hair care products as well. Which is why, for me to totally write off a pure hair oil, I normally will have tried different brands of it and if after such, I still am not getting the type of results that I need for that particular oil to deliver, then I know, that this oil just isn't the right one for me to be using directly on my hair and scalp by itself, in pure oil form. However, it doesn't always mean that my hair can't tolerate it in an actual hair care product. Which is why, it truly takes much experimenting to actually find out what works best for our hair, when it comes to pure hair oils or otherwise, because of the different ways in which ingredients that are put in products are collected, processed, and then ends up being sold to the public, in its final form.

FY.I. Argan trees are specific to two areas: Morocco and Algeria. Argan Oil is cold pressed as opposed to heat pressed or highly refined, making it more like to contain allergenic protein.
    Last edited by Reservechic; February 25th, 2018 at 01:34 PM.