Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil cleansing scalp?

Type
    2a/F/i

Default Re: Oil cleansing scalp?

I feel like it would leave my scalp and hair really oily. I tend to shed more if I get oil on my scalp too so I wouldn't try it. I do use it on the rest of me though and wouldn't dream of using anything else!

BSL: Made it!Off to Waist!

Length
    20"/28.5"/CL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by andafaith View Post
    That's interesting. I can't say I've heard of that, but I'd be a little afraid using vinegar since it's good at killing bacteria and bacterial balance is essential to vaginal health. Yogurt, on the other hand, is something I've heard of using down there. I love how this thread started with scalp oil cleansing and ended up with us talking about cleansing naughty bits. Sorry for the OT-ness.

Lol. It's all in the name of education!

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine <3 View Post
    I feel like it would leave my scalp and hair really oily. I tend to shed more if I get oil on my scalp too so I wouldn't try it. I do use it on the rest of me though and wouldn't dream of using anything else!
    Some times today's standards bug me lol. When I have oiled before a shampoo I always kinda like my hair better. It's more manageable and feels more protected. I believe natives from various parts of the world kept their hair oiled. Idk maybe I'm weird...

I tried WO once and my scalp actually felt a lot better and the itchiness stopped, I also had no build up or anything, but it still had a "wet" look after a month so I caved and washed. I'm thinking of trying it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine <3 View Post
    Some times today's standards bug me lol. When I have oiled before a shampoo I always kinda like my hair better. It's more manageable and feels more protected. I believe natives from various parts of the world kept their hair oiled. Idk maybe I'm weird...

I tried WO once and my scalp actually felt a lot better and the itchiness stopped, I also had no build up or anything, but it still had a "wet" look after a month so I caved and washed. I'm thinking of trying it again.
    Last edited by Gumball; November 27th, 2014 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Combined posts into multi-quote. See http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=43281 for details.
    Lady Nisaba, Scribe of the Celestial Scrolls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

I think that oil for cleaning would make it super oily because if your cleansing your body with it, there's nothing for the oil to get caught on, but your hair as a ton of little strands for the oil to get stuck on, it'd kinda be counter productive.

There was a big thread at one time about oil shampoo. Some vintage Hollywood star used it, and now people were adding oil to their shampoo. I think it's been a while since that thread was active but maybe someone reading this will recognize it, find it, and bump it up for you.

Length
    20"/28.5"/CL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by DarleneH View Post
    There was a big thread at one time about oil shampoo. Some vintage Hollywood star used it, and now people were adding oil to their shampoo. I think it's been a while since that thread was active but maybe someone reading this will recognize it, find it, and bump it up for you.
    Thank you darleneH.
    Lady Nisaba, Scribe of the Celestial Scrolls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Even at 60, my scalp gets oily without any help from me. When my scalp gets visibly oily, I oil my length and braid before bed, then wash with diluted shampoo at the scalp and conditioner to the length the next morning.

Length
    ~Calf/Pixie/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Yeah, problem with that oil shampoo method was (like every fad method that goes through the LHC) it worked ok for a while, but did not work as a sustainable, long-term washing method for the vast majority of people. Once "saturation" was reached, it became impossible to optimise the ratio of shampoo to oil from wash to wash and the result was generally unpredictable swings between dry+tangly or "otter in an oil slick". Also, from memory, many people found that long-term the method did not condition sufficiently and lead to a massive crop of split ends, but you couldn't (supposedly) supplement the method with conditioner, oil, leave-ins or other conditioning treatments as it'd prevent the oil shampoo from working.

I liked it for a while but found it didn't work long-term.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Yes, I believe it was by ktani, but I also believe it got removed... or else, I'm not remembering correctly.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)