Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I just can't get the nautilus bun?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: I just can't get the nautilus bun?

Last I checked, a nautilus bun was topologically the same as a lazy wrap. The major difference is that the nautilus tends to have the length twisted, which causes it to hold better for me, anyway. The Inside-out bun fits in that family, too.
    Last edited by Anje; August 14th, 2013 at 10:35 AM.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

I finally "got it" after torrin paige's tutorial on you tube. It's my "nothing to hold it up" go to bun. Usually holds very well, all day, unless I have super clean slippery hair. I don't know what a nautilus shelf is though.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b86ZH0J...%3Db86ZH0J7xtE

Type
    1b/F/ii

i was wondering if anyone has any tips re. securing. there is one bun i can do which is always secure (don't know the name..) but other than that it is always hit and miss. for instance with this bun, i followed the youtube video and did it several times and it was always find until the stick bit and then it just fell apart. is there a good rule of thumb generally for getting the sticks in very securely? i know it needs to go under the hair but what are your specific techniques? also regarding the exit of the stick, i generally smoodge the other end through other side of the bun by getting my other hand involved but not sure this is the best way. :-)

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    Chin/40.5/TERM
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

I have been struggling with getting the nautilus bun to stay, but today is the day.. I finally got it!! I am right handed and keep trying to use my right hand, so the loop you pull over the rest would always be on the bottom and it just wasn't working. I decided to try to use my left hand and now the loop bit is on the top and it actually stays! So I highly suggest if you are struggling with any bun try switching hands. It might feel abnormal at first but after practice I think it will get easier. I can now secure my nautilus bun with one stick and it stays put all day.

Length
    SL/KL/MTL
    Type
    2b/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin3826 View Post
    I have been struggling with getting the nautilus bun to stay, but today is the day.. I finally got it!! I am right handed and keep trying to use my right hand, so the loop you pull over the rest would always be on the bottom and it just wasn't working. I decided to try to use my left hand and now the loop bit is on the top and it actually stays! So I highly suggest if you are struggling with any bun try switching hands. It might feel abnormal at first but after practice I think it will get easier. I can now secure my nautilus bun with one stick and it stays put all day.
    Congratulations!

I can't do a nautilus yet but I think it's because my hair is too thick and short at the moment.
    Loose: WL-HL-BCL-TBL-CL-FTL-MTL-KL
    Braided: WL-HL-BCL-TBL-CL-FTL-MTL-KL

Length
    28"/Waist/Waist
    Type
    2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin3826 View Post
    Good advice. I got this one to stay on its own without a pin first try maybe a week ago after watching some video "ten second bun on long hair with no pins" or something. And I must have gotten lucky with the handedness and direction. But I was thinking of switching the direction, so this is important to keep in mind as I experiment.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Good tip! I can't do one yet due to length, and I want to use my full hand, not just a few fingers on the loop (don't want it to be too constricting).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    8 in./40 in/50 in
    Type
    1a/F/M/i

I can do a nautilus with the whole hand, but with my think hair the bun is just too loose. I will work with a three or four prong fork.
    Oldest LHC Member Currently holding the title: The Eldest
    Radical Believer in the Kingdom of God being here at hand.