Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Little help to figure out what caused this and if its right to keep it.

Length
    10"/18"/34"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/i/ii

Unhappy Little help to figure out what caused this and if its right to keep it.

Hello everyone again. I need a little help to find out what caused this "thin sides" of my hair. Okay, so.

This is my nighttime hairstyle. (the photo may be huge, im sorry)
    [IMG][/IMG]
    This shows what i do, i put one clip like that on the left side you see now, and on the right side. I do this because i want to secure my side curly hair while sleeping, and the other reason is that my hair sides frizz easily. I wonder if this "hairstyle" is damaging to my hair, because i noticed my sides are thinner like this:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

I really cant figure out if these thin sides are just natural, or that above hairstyle caused this.
    Then i noticed this bald spot:
    [IMG][/IMG]

I cant find another nighttime hairstyles to protect my curls while i sleep. Satin pillowcases make my hair frizzy, so i dont have any satin or silk night cap.
    Whats your opinion? Should i stop putting these clips on my hair?
    within my own wisdom

Length
    SL/SL/WL
    Type
    3a/C/ii

Default Re: Little help to figure out what caused this and if its right to keep it.

I don't really see the bald spot you're taking about, but I wouldn't sleep with those snap clips in. I imagine if you roll over or move in your sleep at all they could pull and rip it hairs. Instead of clips, what about doing sort of lace rope braids with the front part of your hair. Just try not to separate your curls too much when you do it (keep them clumped) - sometimes I do this to preserve curls over night.

Length
    10"/18"/34"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Little help to figure out what caused this and if its right to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by lauren_alia View Post
    I don't really see the bald spot you're taking about, but I wouldn't sleep with those snap clips in. I imagine if you roll over or move in your sleep at all they could pull and rip it hairs. Instead of clips, what about doing sort of lace rope braids with the front part of your hair. Just try not to separate your curls too much when you do it (keep them clumped) - sometimes I do this to preserve curls over night.
    Actually, those clips i have are quite stable so they dont pull down to rip any hair. Honestly, they actually hardly stay at place because my hair sides are naturally thinner(thats what i want to believe). Actually, maybe they are hard to stay in place when my hair is freshly-washed so because its slippery. Oh well. I dont know how to do lace rope braids, and im afraid that technique is going to make my curls very loose and frizzy. If i didnt had straight roots, it would possibly work.
    within my own wisdom

Length
    SL/HL+/KL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

I don't see that as a bald spot either. The hair on my sides is less thich as well because well, there's an ear below and there's less hair on the sides that on the back haha. Also, you have bangs and that substract a lot of volume from the face-framming/side parts of the hair. Sides also look a little bit shorter than the back of the head hair (maybe you are growing from a shorter style and those hairs didn't catch up with the back yet?). So all these things come to my mind.

Length
    10"/18"/34"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/i/ii

I know that fact about the ear, tho :P
    Its true my sides are shorter than the back of my hair. I had a straight-blunt bob hairstyle 6-7 months ago.
    I actually meant 'thinner' hair sides, at the fact of putting every night those snap-clips. I just wonder if really those snap clips have somehow weaken the roots of my side hair and thats why it looks like that. Who knows, it may be just the natural pattern or my imagination.
    within my own wisdom

Length
    10"/18"/34"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by TreesOfEternity View Post
    I don't see that as a bald spot either. The hair on my sides is less thich as well because well, there's an ear below and there's less hair on the sides that on the back haha. Also, you have bangs and that substract a lot of volume from the face-framming/side parts of the hair. Sides also look a little bit shorter than the back of the head hair (maybe you are growing from a shorter style and those hairs didn't catch up with the back yet?). So all these things come to my mind.
    I know that fact about the ear, tho :P
    Its true my sides are shorter than the back of my hair. I had a straight-blunt bob hairstyle 6-7 months ago.
    I actually meant 'thinner' hair sides, at the fact of putting every night those snap-clips. I just wonder if really those snap clips have somehow weaken the roots of my side hair and thats why it looks like that. Who knows, it may be just the natural pattern or my imagination.
    within my own wisdom

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I don't see what you're seeing either. If you are worried, then maybe stop wearing the clip?

Sides are always a little more fragile, but I'd leave them alone as much as possible and just keep growing.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    10"/18"/34"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I don't see what you're seeing either. If you are worried, then maybe stop wearing the clip?

Sides are always a little more fragile, but I'd leave them alone as much as possible and just keep growing.
    Im afraid i feel like i cant stop wearing the clips. Okay i know, my hair in general are all free when i sleep but since you said yourself the hair sides tend to be fragile, i wear the clips in order to protect them. Ofcourse i want to say, i keep my hair healthy, oils, conditioners, not damage, not heat tools etc. I also dyed my hair 1 week ago, finally after 5 months. I'll also try to add a bit more castor oil at the sides to get an extra moisture and protection. Thank you!
    within my own wisdom

Length
    ShgLp/Bcl/term?
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

My sides are thin too or at least they look thin.
    I figured this happens because:
    1. You have fine hair
    2. Normal thickness + fine hair = thin hair look (until u check the ponytail circ.)
    3. Thin side's. Yes, some people simply have thin hair on the sides or thin hair on the crown and thicker hair on the sides
    4. I don't see any Breakage though...
    5. Cowlicks don't appear only on top, but also on the sides. Confusing I guess... but cowlicks mean hair growing in a different direction to the normal growth. Hope I make sense...
    6. Fine hair tends to fall flat because it's getting oily quicker than the coarse hair. So you are experiencing flatness. Usually flatness is on top but that's what the media and hairdressers know about.
    7. There's curly with flat top or curls beginning quite straight then suddenly curl. Check curly penny on youtube. She has a video where she talked about her hair being curly but flat and fine.

Length
    25.5"/.../Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

I don't see a bald spot either.
    Also, if you haven't noticed extra shedding on that side of your head, I doubt it's thinning.

It could just be you have less hair on that side, or the curl pattern is a little different making it look or feel thinner. Could be a few things actually. Either way, I wouldn't sleep with clips in my hair. You never know if it's going to weaken your strands.

Regarding a satin pillowcase making your hair frizzier - I know we all have different hair with different needs, but a satin weave should never make your hair frizzier, it defies logic. I don't know what kind of pillowcase you have, but it doesn't sound like a satin weave.

Be the voice for those that can't speak...