Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toning down henna on grey hair?

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Default Toning down henna on grey hair?

Has anyone came up with a mix for using henna on grey or white hair that tones down the intense orange without going too brown?
    I suppose it would involve some indigo but I wouldn't know what percent to start with.

I'm really interested in going back to henna, would like a light copper on my ash blond that is at least 30% white

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Toning down henna on grey hair?

There is no way, but doing multiple applications, which means you'd constantly be upping roots, and intensifying by doing it again a week later. There is no concoction that makes it darker as of the get-go. And be careful with straight up indigo on grays (might be same as on bleach and light blonde hair, might need a red "filler" first).

I would not recommend a natural dye for people going gray. Nope. Just nope.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Yeah, I'd rather be bright orange then too dark of henna, thats just not a good tone on me.
    I wasn't thinking of using straight indigo but henna with a little indigo to add a bit of a brown or dark base. Now you have me wondering what indigo would do to white hair, off to google I go.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    Yeah, I'd rather be bright orange then too dark of henna, thats just not a good tone on me.
    I wasn't thinking of using straight indigo but henna with a little indigo to add a bit of a brown or dark base. Now you have me wondering what indigo would do to white hair, off to google I go.
    I think Nightshade did some experiments with indigo on white, but I could be mistaken. Might have been a henna/indigo mix. I am unsure. And who knows, maybe I'm wrong and it's different on gray than it is on blonde/bleach?

Hope she chimes in!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I used straight indigo on bleached hair once, it was more of a blueish grey. I think the green from bleaching over indigo is mostly due to a chemical reaction.

I did find some pictures of henna mixes over white mohair, not sure I really cared for any of the colors that had indigo.

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    I used straight indigo on bleached hair once, it was more of a blueish grey. I think the green from bleaching over indigo is mostly due to a chemical reaction.

I did find some pictures of henna mixes over white mohair, not sure I really cared for any of the colors that had indigo.
    It could be, because I have an indigo-dyed scarf that is predominantly green. When I bought it, they explained to me the process to turn it green, which unfortunately I can't remember. (And, of course, indigo-dyed fabric first comes out of the dye bath greenish until it oxidizes.)

But I imagine it's also possible that bleaching lifts certain dye molecules in the indigo and not others, which is why green may be left behind?
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Thats interesting. I didn't know they could get green fabric with indigo, I thought it was just blue.

I've used it in lye soap and it usually turned lavender. Some people can get blue with it but I never could.
    Maybe my indgo was junk, I tried a two step to go black once and all it did was turn dark auburn.

I decided to just rock the orange, its a good color on me so why not. Only one life and I can have orange hair if I want lol.

Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

Looks good and holy orange. It must not have oxidized yet assuming your profile pic is the result?

Length
    Pixie/2"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Jane99 View Post
    Looks good and holy orange. It must not have oxidized yet assuming your profile pic is the result?
    No, my avatar is a older picture. This is what it looks like now, its probably done oxidizing at this point.
    Its about the same I guess, my hair is quite light to begin with so its always very orange.

Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

Well I’ve seen some of your henna pics on here before and you could pass for it being your natural color.