Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: żLightening henna with ''L'Oreal Sunkiss Jelly''?

Length
    -/bsl/hip
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Default żLightening henna with ''L'Oreal Sunkiss Jelly''?

Hello, I've been looking forward to lightening my hennaed hair because it's gotten too dark and I recently saw an add that intrigued me. The product is L'Oreal's Sun Kiss Jelly which looks like Sun In (although it may be different, it's not available in my country). Supposedly it doesn't work that much as bleach because even though there is some peroxide, it lightens hair progressively and without damaging it (I doubt that). Has anyone tried it? Will it damage my very very fine hennaed hair much? I've tried honey and distilled water, but the process seems too slow and it's too messy for me.

I've found the ingredients, if it's useful:

credit

Default Re: żLightening henna with ''L'Oreal Sunkiss Jelly''?

I would do a test strand. Only way to know for sure how it acts on your hair.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Given the denatured alcohol as the second ingredient, it might be a bit drying in addition to what the peroxide does.

My guess is that it's a lot like Sun-In, which is a low percentage peroxide product that lightens rather gradually (at least compared to putting 30-volume bleach in your hair). Either way, you might reduce damage more if you put it on hair that's been coated in coconut oil for a few hours prior. A number of people have found that that helps mitigate a lot of the damage even for fairly intensive bleaching.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Yes, great idea! Strand test. Collect some shed hair over the next week (*no* need to rush this), and try it on that first!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    -/bsl/hip
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Thanks for the advise! I'll definitely do a test strand first (and may publish the results if someone is interested in the product). I've seen videos and that thing really does lighten hair... If it's too drying and pre-oiling doesn't do much I'll probably use it only on my roots since my natural hair is medium/light ash brown and future root henna applications will give the impression that my natural hair is copper.

I have another question... I've read that in only lightens virgin hair and doesn't work on dyed hair because of the pigmentation, but if henna coats the hair and the ''inside'' is intact, it would probably work, right?

Length
    chin/APL/knee
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I tried this over my too dark hennaed ends. I'd say sun in works marginally better, and this product, the sunkiss jelly, is a bit drying but so is sun in. I did the treatment, washed it out and conditioned. Before next wash i pre-oiled with coconut oil and washed and conditioned, and hair seems fine. It did work to lighten henna slightly. So yup, worth a try I think.

ETA: I'd say the bonus of the sunkiss jelly is that it's just that, jelly, and not spray. With the sun in I was always slightly nervous I'd get it in my eyes or so if I happened to spray a bit in the wrong direction. With the gel I felt a bit more chill.
    Addicted to exclamation marks!! Also fond of

Length
    -/bsl/hip
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Since I'm planning to soak my hair in coconut oil overnight, I'll probably try the Sunkiss Jelly tomorrow after a strand test. Thanks for sharing your experience Nellon!

Length
    chin/APL/knee
    Type
    1c/F/ii

You're welcome! Would love to see a picture and hear how it went!
    Addicted to exclamation marks!! Also fond of

Length
    -/bsl/hip
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Unfortunately I couldn't find the product anywhere, so I'll leave it for next week after another coconut oil treatment. And I'll post a before/after picture.

Length
    -/bsl/hip
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Sooo.... I bought this thing today, applied some on a tiny strand on the top of my hair, blow dried it for approximately ten minutes aaaand.... nothing at all happened. XD
    I'm not sure if I'm supposed to see the difference immediately or in a few hours... Anyways, If it doesn't work on henna I'll probably wait two months till I have enough roots to apply it on them. At least it smells nice.