Page 51 of 130 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official "Stretching Washes" Thread

Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: The Official "Stretching Washes" Thread

I'm finally able to stretch my washes to only twice a week. I thought I'd never be able to get here, but here I am I know in comparison it doesn't sound that spectacular, but..... For me it is lol
    Well, I guess technically it's once a week with a scalp-only washing mid-way through

Finding Best Hair Length! LadyLongLocks's Avatar
    Length
    36"/72"/knee
    Type
    1a/1b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Since I only have my hair washed once a week, I typically go for a full clarifying wash. It's got to have accumulated too much gunk in that week, IMO, not to have a thorough wash. I don't know. It might just be me.

Congrats on going 11 days, LadyLongLocks. I can't quite do that due to SD. A week is my maximum.
    Thanks...I feel funny getting praise for not washing my hair for 11 days , but it was sort of a test to see how my hair and scalp would do. It itched a little, but it passed. If I told my family members it was 11 days they might think it was gross!

I'm three months into a conditioner-only and stretching-washes regimen, and I finally think I could last a fourth day between washes if I really had to. My hair is sloooooowly getting less greasy. I still get noticeably oily temples on the evening of Day 2, but with the help of some baby powder, my hair looks surprisingly good on Day 3. I have yet to try and stretch a fourth day, but I think I'm getting there. If I weren't going to the theatre tonight, I'd try today...

To everyone who's considering trying stretching washes: I noticed a vast improvement when I bought a silk pillowcase. I don't know what the silk is doing to my hair, but my hair has felt much softer and looked noticeably less greasy since I started sleeping on a silk pillowcase.

Type
    2a/F/i

Stretching washes is going really well! Right now I'm washing on Wednesdays and Sundays. I get a little greasy going that long but dry shampoo helps and so do top knots. I'm considering doing a CO wash on Wednesday and then eventually cutting that out so I'm only washing once a week...but my scalp got SO MAD with CO and started spitting out hair...I don't want to anger my scalp, but it was only a problem after a few months, sooo? idk, just going to stick with what's working!

BSL: Made it!Off to Waist!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine <3 View Post
    Stretching washes is going really well! Right now I'm washing on Wednesdays and Sundays. I get a little greasy going that long but dry shampoo helps and so do top knots. I'm considering doing a CO wash on Wednesday and then eventually cutting that out so I'm only washing once a week...but my scalp got SO MAD with CO and started spitting out hair...I don't want to anger my scalp, but it was only a problem after a few months, sooo? idk, just going to stick with what's working!
    Yeah, I wouldn't risk doing CO if you shed from it.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2a/F/i

Yeah Sometimes I hate my scalp so much...my hair was sssooooo nice when I was using sulfate free and CO but my scalp hated it with a firey passion and started spitting hairballs out. Guess I just need sulfates *grumble grumbles*

BSL: Made it!Off to Waist!

Length
    15/19.5/9999'
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Today would be day 4 but I stink and should shower, and I'll at least be rinsing with cool water. So I don't know if that's washing or not.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine <3 View Post
    Yeah Sometimes I hate my scalp so much...my hair was sssooooo nice when I was using sulfate free and CO but my scalp hated it with a firey passion and started spitting hairballs out. Guess I just need sulfates *grumble grumbles*
    I know how you feel. I'm struggling with SD and need the harsher sulfates to keep it at bay. I would have so loved to CO or to go sulfate-free but alas no such thing. Hey, it's what I always say, best to do what your hair likes, not what you like.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    22.5/25.25/??
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by jupiterinleo View Post
    Sparklylady82, my ends did the same thing. They didn't start behaving until I cut all the old dye out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johannah View Post
    My hair used to do that when it was really damaged. Now it's waaay healthier, and I get the opposite result.
    Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    Sparklylady82, that definitely could be due to bleach damage. I experienced the same dryness. My ends feel soft now, even though the bleach is still there. What helped me tremendously is using penetrating oils (e.g. coconut, olive), hydrolyzed protein treatments and obviously avoiding any additional damage (sleeping on silk, keeping hair contained and ends tucked, oiling braid tassel regularly). Also, don't be afraid to be a bit heavy-handed with oils and rich conditioners on those ends, at least when they are this dry. If you go overboard with leave-in, you can always fix it during your next wash anyway. I think Nightblooming's panacea salves are really good for dry/damaged ends.
    I am hoping my ends just get better and better but It is good to know that I am not doing something wrong by stretching washes.

Meteor- I use coconut oil for 2 hours before I wash but I don't oil the ends ever. Maybe I should try that when they get dry. I also use the WCC method so my hair gets conditioned twice with a regualar condish and then either K-pack (which is a keratin protein mask) or a deep conditioner. I'm always afraid the oil will make my hair look too greasy but I guess if its tucked into a bun it doesn't matter ;-) I really wanna try Nightblooming's panacea salve BUT I have tons of oil I need to use up (argon, jojoba, coconut, mineral) <<haha!

Thanks for the support!
    No Trims for second half of 2018
    *deep conditioning & Olaplaex treatment*
    Currently Shoulder length~06/2018!

Length
    22.5/25.25/??
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

I tried using a shampoo with Olefin Sulfinate instead of SLS and my hair feels greasy already only after 1 day! My scalp also feels a little itchy. I also put flax seed gel in my hair to style it down so I am not sure which is the culprit? I normally don't get greasy feel untill day 3 or 4 now with my regular K-pack protein shampoo with SLS.
    No Trims for second half of 2018
    *deep conditioning & Olaplaex treatment*
    Currently Shoulder length~06/2018!