Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are there people here who never trim their hair?

Length
    buzz/HL/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Are there people here who never trim their hair?

Quote Originally Posted by fairy_hair View Post
    Sounds like we're in the same boat! I've rarely but surely found splits in my hair that have one big Y, with like 5 extra tiny splits on the legs of the Y! Eeek! I had some of these when I tried using boar bristle brush for 2 weeks or so. Needless to say I only use a plastic smooth wet brush now, and always have a bun unless I feel like having a braid sometimes.
    You know, I did just start experimenting with using a BBB... My scalp loves it, but I've noticed a lot of splits recently! I wonder if it might be the culprit.

Yes me too haha! I have to baby my hair or it gets damaged easily. Mine is also very baby fine. I don't get many splits at all now though since wearing it in a bun most of the time. I remember before LHC, I wore it less protected all the time, and thst rats nest at the back of my neck made me want to just chop it off!
    I used to wear a braid to work every day a couple of years back. I still have a short layer at the nape of my neck from all the tangling and breakage!

Length
    CBL/HL/FTL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Wyldfae's Mane View Post
    You know, I did just start experimenting with using a BBB... My scalp loves it, but I've noticed a lot of splits recently! I wonder if it might be the culprit.

I used to wear a braid to work every day a couple of years back. I still have a short layer at the nape of my neck from all the tangling and breakage!
    Omg it sounds like we have really similar hair! And yes maybe the BBB is the culprit, my hair was also just too fine and fragile for it, even used it super gentle and not that much.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

A lot of my hair is fine as well, although I also have medium and coarse strands mixed in. I wear my hair in a braided bun most of the time; that seems to be the best option for me. Braiding gathers my hair together, else I have thousands of strands working their way out of a bun and stringing down.

Length
    buzz/knee+/calf
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I’m sure there are people out there who never ever cut/trim/S&D their hair at all. I’ve gone a little over 2 years without trims but doing S&D regularly, personally.

But my opinion about the whole “you have to trim your hair or else the damage will travel p and ruin the rest of your hair” thing…. I think is mostly BS. From my experience, split ends don’t really get worse on their own. It was some sort of damage to your hair that caused the split in the first place, and more than likely it’s more of that same damage that causes the split to worsen. It doesn’t just “travel up” the hair on its own - it’s the continuation of what caused the damage in the first place, that makes it get worse and worse. Whether that’s rough brushing or handling, heat styling, bleaching/dyeing, or some combination of things. Split ends can actually hang on for a REALLY long time with little to no further damage, if you’re able to treat your hair really gently.

I’ve seen a few videos done by people who claim to have never ever put scissors to their hair at all, and while their hair is long, sometimes it’s not as long as you’d think - somewhere around classic to knee length is pretty common, even though these ladies are in their 20’s, and my guess is that they’ve had breakage from styling practices. You don’t need to trim your hair to maintain good hair health necessarily, but you’re not automatically going to have long glorious perfect hair if you don’t prevent the damage in the first place.
    Current length: Knee+ at 56"! Next milestone is my final goal length: Upper Calf at 57-58"!
    Buzzed my head in 2010. Joined here and have been growing from Waist length at 28" since 2016

I haven't trimmed in years. My hair can anyway look good when I put some effort to it. Oils mean a lot, same with vinegar rinses. Without effort my hair doesn't look good at any length.
    Last edited by Priska; January 5th, 2024 at 10:13 AM.

Length
    12/30 MB/Waist
    Type
    2a/C/ii/iii

I have had one haircut in almost 13 years. That was almost 5 years ago.

Length
    ChinL/WL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I don't trim at all. I've never believed in trimming all of my life. The only thing I've believed in was dusting the ends. Or, if the ends look a little uneven or raggidy I just take the tips of the ends off, and that's even done very rare. Other than that, the health of my hair back then and now has always been at it's healthiest.
    (Chin length) (Shoulder Length) (Bra Strap Length) (Mid Back Length) (Waist Length) (Hip Length) (Tail Bone Length) (Classic Length) (Mid Thigh Length) (Knee Length) (Calf Length) (Ankle Length) (Floor Length)

Length
    Neck/WL/Term?
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Count me in. I've had no trims in the entire almost 4 years of my hair growth (my last haircut was January 2020--I think it was later vs. earlier in the month since it was right before a conference I went to in the latter part of that month). For the foreseeable future, I don't anticipate having any trims or cuts. If I do ever make it to thigh length or longer (a long time in the future as I'm currently just a hair away (pun intended?) from waist length) and find that it is too much for me, then I'll probably have 8 inches cut and donate it.

Length
    waist/TB/long

My idea of a trim is to cut 6 inches to a foot off whenever it is longer than I want. I don't get split ends, so I don't think it matters.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I once had a "double" hair stuck in one follicle. Actually it happened on a few occasions... If I remember this correctly... I was still damaging my hair at that point, so it could be one that split through and through, but... I really doubt it. IMO weak hair splits and breaks off the rest of the hair, way before the split itself can "travel" up a strand.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)