Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Will using heat damage your hair/stunt hair growth?

Length
    SL/HIP/TERM
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Will using heat damage your hair/stunt hair growth?

Ironing, curling, blow drying.. All damaging. The least damaging way to style is blow drying, but it still dries out your hair - resulting in breakage. My sister is a hair stylist, and I got this information from her cosmetology books. I personally choose to blow dry, but if you can live without it - you should. Also, when you use heat it's recommended that you regularly trim to avoid split ends. Sadly, there's no way around it. Heat styling is damaging. Even blow drying cool causes unnecessary damage.. But fortunately this won't cause your hair to stop growing. It'll just break off, appearing as if it hasn't grown.

Length
    bald/apl/waist
    Type
    2a/F/iii

I failed growing my hair out a long time ago almost primarily(secondarily due to dye) because I flat ironed it DAILY. It literally got to the point where it would look nasty if I didn't heat style it and it just made the problem even worse. I knew I had to do something when it literally broke off into clumps into my hands. There was no way I could have continued to grow my hair that way.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Goatcraft View Post
    Ironing, curling, blow drying.. All damaging. The least damaging way to style is blow drying, but it still dries out your hair - resulting in breakage. My sister is a hair stylist, and I got this information from her cosmetology books. I personally choose to blow dry, but if you can live without it - you should. Also, when you use heat it's recommended that you regularly trim to avoid split ends. Sadly, there's no way around it. Heat styling is damaging. Even blow drying cool causes unnecessary damage.. But fortunately this won't cause your hair to stop growing. It'll just break off, appearing as if it hasn't grown.
    If you blow dry sensibly, there is *nothing* wrong with it. I'm classic+ and the diffuser goes through my hair weekly. If you keep the air cool/warm and not keep the dryer on one spot for too long, it's all good. As long as you can hold your hand in the airstream for a long time without it burning, it's *fine*. I have never noticed the dryer "drying" my hair out. Maybe it's all YMMV.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Account Closed by Member Request

Throwing my two cents in on the oh so diabolical heat. If used with caution, which means at the right temperature and not too frequently ot's absolutely fine, at least it can be for some hairtypes aka my own, for example. everyone's gonna raise their finger on heat while i personally find the use of shampoo a zillion times more drying/damaging. It's really just a question if your hair rolls with it and to get the technique down. I flatiron at 200 celcius and all i need to do is deep condition heavily. I have no breakage, no white dots, not a single split end and my hair is as healthy and shiny as it can possibly be at upper thigh.

Length
    13/13/20

Quote Originally Posted by Goddessa View Post
    I failed growing my hair out a long time ago almost primarily(secondarily due to dye) because I flat ironed it DAILY. It literally got to the point where it would look nasty if I didn't heat style it and it just made the problem even worse. I knew I had to do something when it literally broke off into clumps into my hands. There was no way I could have continued to grow my hair that way.
    OMG that's awful!! I used to flat iron my hair daily - thankfully it never really got to that point, but I was getting more split ends than I realized :P

By the way, your profile picture is the most adorable thing I've ever seen.

Length
    13/13/20

ALSO...sorry about my incorrect "hair length terminology"; I'm still really new to all of this and I'm still learning