Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Macadamia Oil Vs Coconut Oil

Default Re: Macadamia Oil Vs Coconut Oil

Thankyou I will have to try conditioner again - maybe a different type. I'm in Australia and get my macadamia oil from a health food store but its also sold in Coles supermarket, 500mlfor AUD$12

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I'd say the macadamia agrees with your hair better, so keep using that. Coconut oil gives a lot of people less than stellar results as it can leave the hair crunchy and dry/brittle.

If it's hard to wash out, then I'd not put it on the scalp. There are people who can't tolerate oils on the scalp (more shedding than normal). So, pay attention to that as well.

Different oils work differently on different people, there's no telling what the reason is. Maybe someone more knowledgeable about oils will come along.
    I have actually noticed a bit more shedding but didn't think anything about the oil, maybe I am one of those people.. Thanks!

Length
    SL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Maybe I can explain the difference
    We can divide oils in three groups, depending on the amount of fatty acids.
    1. Oils with high amount of saturated fatty acids: coconut oil, butters- Shea, cocoa, mango, and babassu.
    Those penetrate the hair.
    2.Oils that contain most of monounsaturated fatty acids : olive oil, avocado, argan, almond, apricot kernel, hazelnut, macadamia. Those are considered semi-penetrating.
    3. Oils with most of polyunsaturated fatty acids : walnut, flaxseed, pumpkin seed, grape seed, hemp seed oil.
    And those do not penetrate the hair shafts.
    Usually coconut and other saturated do not agree with high porosity hair which explains dryness.
    Try and test and have fun with it!

Quote Originally Posted by paulownia View Post
    1. Oils with high amount of saturated fatty acids: coconut oil, butters- Shea, cocoa, mango, and babassu.
    2.Oils that contain most of monounsaturated fatty acids : olive oil, avocado, argan, almond, apricot kernel, hazelnut, macadamia. Those are considered semi-penetrating.
    3. Oils with most of polyunsaturated fatty acids : walnut, flaxseed, pumpkin seed, grape seed, hemp seed oil.
    Usually coconut and other saturated do not agree with high porosity hair which explains dryness.
    Thanks so much that's really interesting I love learning new things
    CBL - APL - BSL - WL - HL

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

That IS interesting. I have porous hair, although I don't know if it qualifies as high porosity. I like coconut oil, but I do get a lot of split ends. I think I'll try a different kind of oil when my coconut oil runs out (sometime next year).

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Where do you get that data? Just a friendly question, as I'm curious. I do have to say, I have normal porosity and coconut oil *still* leaves my hair crunchy, dry and brittle.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)