Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Layers And Updos Don't Always Mix

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Layers And Updos Don't Always Mix

Quote Originally Posted by Maelyssa View Post
    I know many of us tend to consider cuts and layers...coming here to ask questions.
    I made the mistake of getting a cut and layers a few months ago and I really regret it because hairs find their way out of braids and every bun I try.
    I honestly would say that if you want to do layers make sure the shortest ones are at least mid-way between shoulders and bra strap. Otherwise you'll find yourself waiting impatiently for them to grow back out. And using lots of bobby pins to hold you through until then.

Hoping this helps someone not sure of what they want to do.
    That's not bad advice, actually. I had short layers cut in (compact cut method, ponytail on forehead) when my hair was waist. My shortest layer was about APL. Updos were possible, but could just (barely) be done (LWB). Now my hair is almost TBL and the shortest layer is almost BSL. It's far easier now, and my layers never poke out (LWB).
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Loves coffee & updos Chamomile betty's Avatar
    Length
    20.5/BS/30
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by browneyedsusan View Post
    Mine don't bother too much, but I don't know anything different.
    I think they look great down or in half-ups, but braids taper, and updos can be messier. I usually make accent braids to keep them sort of under control.

I'm growing them out now, for fun.
    I love to see one length hair but it's just never worked for me.
    I am actually more adapt of wearing/styling my hair with the long layers (shoulder). I really do agree with it's what your used too statement. My hair is so darn heavy and it helps me with volume so it is more beneficial for the layers. Plus I am not much of a braid wearer just only at night to sleep. So I think it depends on your style too.
    Last edited by Chamomile betty; August 28th, 2014 at 03:03 PM.
    20.5 ~ BS ~ 30 *Natural Blond w/ High & Lowlights* Bangs/Long Layers* Cone and Non Cone Products
    Always trying new products & styles.

Length
    17/23/29
    Type
    3c/C/iii

I hate layers for exactly this reason.
    Sounds like some people had a better experience than I did--when a hairdresser gave me (unasked for) layers, it was as frustrating as short hair because I could not put my hair up, or braid, or have it do anything other than hang there (and it was like a NY minute before the layers started growing out and didn't look good hanging there--but I still couldn't do updoes).
    I like fairytale ends though and don't think they are like layers at all.
    <a href=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/september%202015%20flat%20ironed%20cropped_zpsb7di14pc.jpg.html target=_blank>[IMG]<a href=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/september%202015%20flat%20ironed%20cropped_zpsb7di14pc.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/uloma1/september%202015%20flat%20ironed%20cropped_zpsb7di14pc.jpg target=_blank>http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/...psb7di14pc.jpg</a></a>[/IMG]</a>Proud to be a tightly curly!
    (SL-APL-BSL-Midback-Waist!)

Length
    APL/APL/TBL!
    Type
    2a/M/iii

So I'm in MBL territory (waiting patiently to get to waist) and have been considering getting layers again, upon other peoples recommendations. I do wear my hair in braids and buns every day now, but am hoping to start wearing my hair down once a week. Would layers be a good idea, or would this completely ruin any chance of an updo?

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I know what you mean on layers I hated mine and I'm glad I grew mine out.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

I forgot something. I agree with others the road to growing out layers was long and hard. I do wish you luck on your growth journey.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    shdlr/~Clsc/FrTp
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Glad to get some understanding!
    And believe me, I think layers look AMAZING when down....which is why I did it. And I've had nice long layers before that were just fine but at their current length they don't even fall out is that soft romantic manner but mote along the lines of raving madwoman meets really run down mom after a bad day.
    Lol. Soooo NOT the look I'm trying to pull off.

Enchantress Maelyssa, Oracle of The Deep Wood in The Order of The Long Haired Knights