Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Had to cut my almost waist lenght hair to shoulder :,(

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

Default Re: Had to cut my almost waist lenght hair to shoulder :,(

I'm sorry for your loss. Why didn't you come here before the cut? You could micro trim and maintain until the breakage grew out.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    9/APL/TBL
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

oh dear,

I'm so sorry this happened to you, but try to see it from a positive side.

Well, as your hair had a lot of sun damage and was prone to breakage, perhaps it was a good thing that you got a cut so that you can get a good fresh start. From now on you can be extra careful and protect it from sun damage. Wear a bun or some other protected hairdo when you are in the sun - especially on the beach - and wear a hat or scarf.

Try to give up lightening your hair or bleach, if you use it. Or protect the hair with coconut oil when dyeing your hair to minimize peroxide damage.

It will grow, in a year you will have APL length or longer And that is already long hair.

Lets see how long this little lump can get. Viva la natural!
    Lady Nemetona, Adept of the Henna Flame in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    15/24/33
    Type
    3a/M/ii

I've never used bleach or anything like that (im too scared to )
    What sort of updos can you do with shoulder length hair? I know there's French pleats. I've always wanted my hair to look rennaisance - y , is there any thing I can do to make look more like that?
    And I should have come here first before I cut. :/ but at least it's extremely healthy now.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Yup; it happens. I'm mentally preparing for a substantial hair cut. No matter what I do - and I've been a member of LHC for 7 or 8 years now and have good hair-care skills - my ends split and break and generally look destroyed. I examined my hair in a ray of sunshine for the first time in a long time yesterday, and I'm absolutely appalled by all the white dots and splits and scrunched-up looking hairs. I need to lose about 8 inches.

Length
    15/24/33
    Type
    3a/M/ii

@spidermom Im sorry you have to lose 8 inches *hug* what length will your hair now be? It looks stunning in your pictures.

Length
    TERM/CHIN/SHLDR
    Type
    1c/C/iii

I am having a similar experience. I decided to have all of the graduated breakage from my BBB cut off at once. I rough cut it myself and am waiting to have it professionally cut to a chin length blunt bob. I miss my hip length hair sometimes but am embracing all that is good about shorter hair. It does have its merits.

Length
    14"/32"/39"
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I agree that your doctor might have been full of it... but what's done is done, and yes, focus on the positive! At least now the damage is gone, and you can grow it out so it's HEALTHY at waist-length! It's likely going to take some changes, though. Yes, there's protecting it from the sun, but chances are not all the damage came from just the sun. Thankfully, LHC holds the wisdom!

It's good that you haven't used bleach. What does the rest of your routine look like? What products do you use, and how often? Do you heat style or blow dry? Do you oil your hair? What have you been using to put it up with, and how often were you putting it up? When it's down or braided, how careful are you about things like not letting it get caught between your back and a chair? How gently do you detangle, and with what tool? How often were you trimming? Do you S&D? When in Florida, do you put anything on it to protect it before swimming?

I know personally, my hair suffers a LOT of damage if I don't baby it, moisturize it well, and S&D regularly. Some people are blessed with easy hair they can just forget, wash it with harsh things, dye, heat style, and it grows out healthy and beautiful. Others, well, it takes a little more care and effort to have healthy long hair.
    Dedicated to a free, natural, interconnected, regenerative lifestyle of curiosity & adventure
    Finally at Waist... with a few hairs, anyway. Slowly snipping now!

Length
    15/24/33
    Type
    3a/M/ii

@naidryade I usually put it in two braids ( tied off with ribbon) or a bun that was done with butterfly combs. Washed it twice a week, shampoo and conditioner and oiled it every night. I used a silk sleeping cap and a BBB brush (detangling the hair first ) and I S and D it every 2 months or so. But my hair is like babies hair, it's so fine. It just looks thick because each strand likes its own personal space. I'm not entirely sure what else I can do for it apart from protecting it from the sun.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

What your trichologist said is total BS, IMO. The reason you're shedding is because your hair is breaking? Come on! It would have to be breaking at the root for that, which is near to impossible - just like that. But you cut your hair. You listened to her. Why, I wonder? But anyway... What's done is done.

You can try wearing it up a lot. A peacock twist is a nice way to wear it up.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    2-3"/30"/36"
    Type
    1a/1b/C/ii/iii

I am so sorry! You said you had near waist length in 3 years? Sounds like you will have long hair again in no time. You tube has great hair-do ideas, short and long. Good luck and happy growing...
    Whether you believe you can do something, or believe you can't. you're right!