Thread: Help Me Make Better Braids!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    Pixie/SL/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Help Me Make Better Braids!

So, I love braids. I love messy looks. But sometimes, I want my braid to not look messy. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to make my braids look sleeker and smoother. Is there anything I can do to tame breakage? Completely wet hair in a braid like this isn't really feasible. It's really hard for me to braid my hair wet. If you tell me I have to suck it up and get better at braiding it wet though, I will.

Do you have any secrets to a tidy braid?

*Completely unrelated, I think it's odd that the patch at the bottom of my head looks so bright. I have dark brown hair and I didn't dye that part on purpose. I guess it's a trick of the light. My hair is pretty translucent in the sun, which is why the red stands out so well even though my hair is dark.

ETA: I tried coconut oil and misting and am a lot happier about the braid.

Last edited by Vanille_; May 1st, 2012 at 09:42 AM.

Pixie::Shoulder::APL

Length
    buzz/chin/waist
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Help Me Make Better Braids!

Have you tried oiling your length before you braid it? Or using a bit of pure aloe?
    current length: chin/bob growing out undercut | first goal length: BSL

Length
    Pixie/SL/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by shutterpillar View Post
    Have you tried oiling your length before you braid it? Or using a bit of pure aloe?
    I don't have any aloe (though I should probably buy some). Would coconut oil work?

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Vanille_ View Post
    So, I love braids. I love messy looks. But sometimes, I want my braid to not look messy. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to make my braids look sleeker and smoother. Is there anything I can do to tame breakage? Completely wet hair in a braid like this isn't really feasible. It's really hard for me to braid my hair wet. If you tell me I have to suck it up and get better at braiding it wet though, I will.

As far as I'm concerned, that's a perfect braid right there. Looks like you don't exactly need lessons in how to braid.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    buzz/chin/waist
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I think coconut oil would work just fine. That is what I do when I dont want my frizzies and flyaways to poke through the length of my braid.
    current length: chin/bob growing out undercut | first goal length: BSL

Length
    5mm/H/5mm-S/:-P
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

Since you have layers, I'd have to agree with the oil to get that non-stocky-outy thing, although I agree - great braid right there! I personally use olive oil, as my hair can't stand coconut oil. But if your hair likes coconut oil, I can't see why it wouldn't work well, and you don't have to have wet hair per say, but a misting helps.

I don't put water on my hair very often though, and as far as dry braids are concerned, I find the looser my braid the less my layers stick out, and the smoother the braid.

My 2¢... from a novice braider.

ETA: I just wanted to add that sebum also helps with the frizzies, so "dirty" hair could be helpful too.
    Last edited by Bedhead; May 1st, 2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: added info
    NW/SO since January 20, 2012 ... ... ... ...

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Aloe vera gel or styling gel do help give a neater result, although your braid is already about as neat as I can achieve. Coconut oil does nothing for my hair as far as braiding is concerned, other than making my messy braid oily, plus encouraging lint and dust to cling to it.

Length
    ear/TBL+!/?
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Sometimes damp braiding helps for me (when the hair is kind of medium damp -- past the dripping/tangling wet stage, and before the almost-dry/tangling frizzy stage).

I agree with the others, though -- your braid looks beautiful! I think pretty much all braids look a bit imperfect in direct sunlight. A few poking-out hairs are just part of the nature of real hair.
    Lady Xi of the Maple Tree in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights!
    Avatar picture from Brunnhilde with her horse at the mouth of the cave by Arthur Rackham

Length
    Pixie/SL/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Well, I tried misting and coconut oil and I like the results. I over oiled my hair for sure, I couldn't wear it down with this much oil in it. But I tried to put as little as possible on the tail of the braid and on the hair outside the braided part.
    Last edited by Vanille_; May 1st, 2012 at 09:40 AM.

Length
    Pixie/31/35
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Honestly, your braid is already tidier than mine ever is. As others said, oil or aloe gel might help. Maybe try to just oil the middle section of your hair since you want the part near your scalp and your tassle to be fairly dry/ungreasy looking?