Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: I got the henna out of my hair, yay :)

Type
    2a/M/iii

Default Re: I got the henna out of my hair, yay :)

I used coconut oil before the bleach and before the color afterwards. Dont know if it did a difference. But no harm in trying

And thanks jojo
    Waiting for waist

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Quote Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
    I used coconut oil before the bleach and before the color afterwards. Dont know if it did a difference. But no harm in trying

And thanks jojo
    Did you leave the coconut oil in and have the bleach and colour applied over it like this? From reports, and research on flavonoids, it can help prevent damage.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=105

The whole thread is here.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=10495
    Last edited by ktani; December 7th, 2008 at 10:30 AM. Reason: added link and text

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I had henna bleached out about two years back. I had had multiple henna applications, about 4 to 6, I think. We used the strongest bleach (to bleach out black hair), and after a color was put over the bleached hair, it ended up a light brown. My hair was fried, though. It was so dry I needed to pamper it lots, with heaps of conditioner.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    2a/M/iii

[QUOTE=ktani;372155]Did you leave the coconut oil in and have the bleach and colour applied over it like this? From reports, and research on flavonoids, it can help prevent damage.

Yes, I did. And it's thanks to you. I read what you wrote about the coconutoil and peroxide some time ago
    Waiting for waist

[quote=Bianca;378292]
    Quote Originally Posted by ktani View Post
    Did you leave the coconut oil in and have the bleach and colour applied over it like this? From reports, and research on flavonoids, it can help prevent damage.

Yes, I did. And it's thanks to you. I read what you wrote about the coconutoil and peroxide some time ago
    Well that is great. I am so glad that it helped. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Oskimosa View Post
    Hmmm. Veeeery interesting. I can see how a stylist could describe that very product as a "fruit oil bleach" to make it sound more appealing to a customer. If it has coconut oil in it, it might actually work somewhat. I know ktani has said she's read some studies that strongly suggest doing a heavy coconut oiling can protect the hair from damage from bleach, but to what extent is unclear. I'd love to find out, but at the same time, I don't care to bleach out my henna right now so it's kindof a moot point for me.
    It is not a heavy oiling with coconut oil that is required http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...&postcount=105. From the research and reports in Honey, I had a theory, and I was not the only one to have this theory, lol.

When I started this thread, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=10495, I had no idea that people were already doing what the research turned out to say should or needs to be done (the only difference is, they used coconut oil). And it appears that it does work. At least I understand why and how it can work.
    Last edited by ktani; December 12th, 2008 at 02:48 PM. Reason: clarification

Length
    8 in/20 in/30 in
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Did anybody ever figure out what this 'fruit bleach' was? Given the plastic surgery product reference and Iris' success bleaching with citric acid, it sounds like it could have citric acid in it?
    Proud Henndigo-Head. Moving Toward Chemical-Free Dyes, Conditioner, & Shampoo.

Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

tabitie, I think you are on the right track. Remember Nightshade's success with Sun-In?
    From Wikipedia:
    Citric acid can be used in shampoo to wash out wax and coloring from the hair. It is notably used in the product "Sun-in" for bleaching, but is generally not recommended due to the amount of damage it causes.[citation needed]
    Actually it has been discussed at the Beauty Bottle: http://chatter.thebeautybottle.com/s...ead.php?t=1497
    Last edited by Finoriel; February 4th, 2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: merged doubled-posting

Length
    8 in/20 in/30 in
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Thanks Nocturnal. That is REALLY interesting. I did not know Sun-In contained citric acid (I used it back in high school to go blond.)

I had always wondered about Nightshade's success with sun-in and why she succeeded where so many others failed.

Interesting fact: 1 tsp / liter of water makes a good citric acid rinse for hair. (Works like ACV rinses.)
    Last edited by tabitie; March 15th, 2009 at 12:03 PM.
    Proud Henndigo-Head. Moving Toward Chemical-Free Dyes, Conditioner, & Shampoo.

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by tabitie View Post
    Thanks Nocturnal. That is REALLY interesting. I did not know Sun-In contained citric acid (I used it back in high school to go blond.)

I had always wondered about Nightshade's success with sun-in and why she succeeded where so many others failed.

Interesting fact: 1 tsp / liter of water makes a good citric acid rinse for hair. (Works like ACV rinses.)
    Huh, interesting idea that it was the citric acid in conjunction with the peroxide that made it work so well.